Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

the mean lunch lady posted:

I would love for Mizzou to steal him, but that history, hoo boy
Same. Normally I'd be 1000% for an alum to come home, but it's just not going to happen. The campus drat near rioted last year when someone made up an Art Briles rumor on Twitter.

Speaking of Art, Texas megabooster Red McCombs is trying to force Art on Incarnate Word, a FCS program he more or less owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Thats a good fit. Religious based schools are notedly aggressive when it comes to issues of sexual assault.

I mean aggressive at victim blaming and cover ups, but still aggressive!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

It's Kendall Briles who is making them good though, as much as all the sports media people carrying water for lane are trying to ignore that

You would know better than men because you follow NIU, was the epilepsy a known issue then?

He had cancer and had suffered seizures before getting to NIU, but I never recall him having any health issues while coaching there. I double checked Wikipedia, and it looks like he things just got really worse once at Minnesota.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

That is really funny but would be better used against Saban who is older

Saban has at least another century in him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I was 100% down for making a run at Calipari way back when that was even a slightly possible chance and everyone and their mother thought he was a dirty recruiter/whatever. I guess that was all the way before the Mike Anderson hire.

I'm quite a bit less ok with this idea even though Briles would just be an OC.

e: It won't happen anyway since apparently they're not even considering Freeze who just likes hookers.

Recruiting stuff wouldn't bug me morally at all, they should be getting paid anyway. This is a lot different than that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's Kendall Briles who is making them good though, as much as all the sports media people carrying water for lane are trying to ignore that

You would know better than me because you follow NIU, was the epilepsy a known issue then?

Bird in a Blender posted:

He had cancer and had suffered seizures before getting to NIU, but I never recall him having any health issues while coaching there. I double checked Wikipedia, and it looks like he things just got really worse once at Minnesota.

Yeah I'm with bird on this. There wasn't much mention of his health when he was at NIU aside from the cancer survival.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well I initially said that he had known health issues, which he did have some, but for some reason I remember Gendo really harping on it when Minnesota hired him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For the life of me I don't recall his seizures being an issue when he was at NIU. Granted I'm sure that kind of thing can get better and worse, so who knows.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Gendo's real issue with Killdawg was schematic fit and with poo poo like pink jerseys on injured players.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Don't know if it's available everywhere, but the Texas 6-man state championship is on Fox Sports Go and it's pretty interesting to watch, having never seen a 6-man game before.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Gendo's real issue with Killdawg was schematic fit and with poo poo like pink jerseys on injured players.

thaaaaat's what it was. I'd forgotten that.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Not a great day to be a South Carolina fan with their own issues combined with Georgia and Clemson racking up players.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Korranus posted:

Speaking of Art, Texas megabooster Red McCombs is trying to force Art on Incarnate Word, a FCS program he more or less owns.

Within that link:

quote:

Interviewing Briles would be a risky move for UIW, which fired long-time president Lou Agnese in October 2016 after he was accused of making offensive comments about African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans and Mormons at a luncheon for physical therapy students.

Whoa. Had to look this up because it looks like the guy was trying to hit for the cycle. Don't know where the Mormon stuff came from, but here's the rest.

quote:

At the luncheon, Agnese singled out an African American student who wasn’t wearing the school colors of Cardinal red. “Well, you’re lucky you’re black so you are in a way wearing Cardinal black,” Agnese reportedly told her.

quote:

Agnese went on to ask if there were any Native American students in the group and said their “Indian-red skin color would also count as wearing Cardinal red.”

quote:

According to the complaint, Agnese made another student stand up, said she wasn’t good enough to get into any other program because of her poor test scores, and noted how lucky she was to be accepted to UIW. Agnese told the Express-News he also praised the student for excelling at UIW. "Now she has the highest test score of anybody in the program," Agnese said.

quote:

At another point, Agnese reportedly addressed a Hispanic faculty member by calling him by the wrong name. When the man corrected Agnese and said his name was Jaime, Agnese responded, “Well, close enough, you look like a José.”

Set fire to his career with ten minutes of dumb jokes at a loving student luncheon. Way to go, guy.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
holy gently caress

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
N: Kiffin just said the reason he went for 2 being up 31 is because an Akron athletics official talked poo poo to him.

V: Owns

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh, and Trump just accidentally killed the NCAA funding model

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ake-other-plans

quote:

The tax reform bill, approved in the Senate early Wednesday morning and in the House later in the day, gets rid of the ability for boosters to take a tax deduction on the donation related to their season tickets.

Previously, fans could deduct 80 percent of the donation that is necessary to get prime seats.

And coaching contracts are about to become a lot more convoluted

quote:

Another part of the bill puts a 21 percent excise tax on tax-exempt employers, like universities, for any of the top five employees who make more than $1 million.

One athletic director, who requested anonymity, said contracts could go back to how they were structured in the past, with the school giving a small base salary and each component being paid by the business by that contributes.

In recent years, for the sake of convenience, schools have aggregated the fee they paid a coach for marketing and media. Unbundling that to allow for each entity to pay individually for being involved with the coach could allow a school to get around the ruling -- but even that will be difficult. If the Internal Revenue Service determines that the school is ordering the entities to structure in this way for tax purposes, it won't be considered an arm's-length transaction and will still be taxed, said Bennett Speyer, who has structured compensation packages for college coaches including Jim Harbaugh, Matt Campbell and Rich Rodriguez. This is why having a booster club or foundation pay part of a coach's salary won't be considered any different from the school paying it.

Speyer, a tax lawyer and chair of Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick LLP's Sports Industry Practice, said schools might have to get creative if they don't want to pay the tax on contracts above $1 million. Michigan's $2 million raise to Harbaugh came in the form of paying off an annual life insurance policy that Harbaugh can withdraw money from with little to no interest. The money Harbaugh withdraws isn't taxed as compensation; the only thing that is taxed as such is the fair-market value of what the interest rate would be, which makes a huge difference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tactlessbastard posted:

The pink jersey thing was dumb, but schematically he was a good fit for the Big Ten West and that recruiting base in the upper midwest

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

LOPHERS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Time for the Frisco Bowl! Can't wait for that...uh... one team to win!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843832

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/943964622419316743

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So any chance something comes of this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/7lac2l/fsu_may_not_be_bowl_eligible

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nope

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Be cool, don't be a narc, bro.

Who am I kidding, Gators are salty enough to snitch.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Be cool, don't be a narc, bro.

Who am I kidding, Gators are salty enough to snitch.

Coming from a fan of a team that had to pay their way into the John's plumbing bowl

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Well it's picking up traction all the major sports news outlets are covering that story.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

As if ESPN is going to call off one of their biggest brands

Also, I'd be really pissed if I was at Buffalo or Western Michigan. One of them got screwed out of a good chunk of change for a MAC team.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 22, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

If you read the post at the bottom it basically says if anything came of this (it won't) FSU just has to apply for a waiver from the NCAA and it seems highly likely it'll be granted, especially this close to the game.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Brett McMurphy basically confirmed not.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SpiritualDeath posted:

Brett McMurphy basically confirmed not.

if you read the reddit thread A Buffalo win this year has the same problem so the cry me a river from them is bullpoop.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm not sure what people want them to do. It's way too short notice to replace them and just cancling the game would be dumb

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

Coming from a fan of a team that had to pay their way into the John's plumbing bowl

what bowl game are you guys going to

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

I mean I think there should be bowl games for everybody so I don't really give a poo poo about this, but it is funny that these multi-billion dollar organizations needed to have some random redditor do their due diligence for them. And it's always fun when the NCAA selectively enforces their bullshit rules especially when big time programs are involved.

According to reddit, UTSA should have gotten a bowl instead so I guess they are the "victims" in this although I'd count myself lucky to avoid a late December trip to loving Shreveport.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Randaconda posted:

what bowl game are you guys going to

A bowl game vs *checks schedule* Southern Miss?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

vyst posted:

In beautiful *checks map* Shreveport, Louisiana.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
In beautiful, *checks map* Pasadena, California. 😎

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In a way going from Tucson to San Francisco is a punishment in December, at least from a weather perspective.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vyst posted:

:rip: Hagetaka

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Obviously the game will still happen, but it's still fun to point at laugh at FSU and the NCAA. Hopefully it gets even more coverage before the game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Behold, the worst sports article ever published

https://twitter.com/OWHopinion/status/944246906414292992?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know op-eds are a thing but jesus christ on a crutch.

• Locked thread