Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Atlas Air also has a small fleet of N-registered passenger 747s for charter work. Mostly military - join up and maybe you can fly on one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Lame, we got moved on a 737 that had to stop three loving times for gas.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So this UFO stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqNNXpgB2bw

Isn't that just a splat of something on the sensor? It doesn't change aspect even though it's traversing across the field of view and when it rotates it looks exactly like a smudge on the glass with the sensor pod head gimbaling behind it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The other Peacemaker: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_AU-23_Peacemaker

It is not as big as the B-36. Also, Sharkmouth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

So this UFO stuff.

Isn't that just a splat of something on the sensor? It doesn't change aspect even though it's traversing across the field of view and when it rotates it looks exactly like a smudge on the glass with the sensor pod head gimbaling behind it.

Didn’t two planes see it?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dunkirk is out in blu ray and has some very cool special features covering the production. Particularly the aerial stuff is cool as hell. They modified the hell out of a Yak-52 for the Spitfire shots.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ola posted:

So this UFO stuff.

Do we know for a fact that's legit, undoctered footage with the real coms?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

slidebite posted:

Do we know for a fact that's legit, undoctered footage with the real coms?

It came straight from the DOD, so yes or no or maybe. And pilots swore they saw it visually.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Even if it is undoctored footage, let's be honest, you really can't see anything in that video.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just saw this on Space.com, which is citing the NYT as the primary source which gives some legitimacy, or at least I don't think it should be discarded on its face. The problem is 95+% of people think UFO=space aliens and that's certainly the angle news sites want to play.

It isn't an exaggeration that any answer but space aliens is far more likely to be correct. It's also entirely possible we'll never know what any single UFO incident is with any certainty but that doesn't mean it's alien or supernatural.

Disclosure: I am pretty convinced that there has to be alien life outside our solar system just based on sheer size of the galaxy, let alone universe, but I am not nearly convinced any of them are, or realistically can, drop by for a visit. Would be cool as hell of they could though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Didn’t two planes see it?

Maybe. Still. The Drake equation is fascinating, but you need to add many chance-decreasing factors before you get to aliens flying inside our atmosphere, undetected on approach but detectable by video cameras, yet only recorded by grainy ones in ways which look exactly like a huge number of hoaxes and misunderstandings. So I'm not convinced in the slightest, even though 2017 could really do with the discovery of extra terrestrial life to balance out the other news.

I'm more captivated by the idea that that oblong interstellar asteroid (or comet with radiation-seared surface) was the burnt out hull of a battleship defeated in space combat hundreds of millions of years ago.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Ola posted:

I'm more captivated by the idea that that oblong interstellar asteroid (or comet with radiation-seared surface) was the burnt out hull of a battleship defeated in space combat hundreds of millions of years ago.
It's a shame they didn't name it Rama.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's a shame they didn't name it Rama.

For real, how they named it anything else I have no idea.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It looks like a god’s turd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Maybe. Still. The Drake equation is fascinating, but you need to add many chance-decreasing factors before you get to aliens flying inside our atmosphere, undetected on approach but detectable by video cameras, yet only recorded by grainy ones in ways which look exactly like a huge number of hoaxes and misunderstandings. So I'm not convinced in the slightest, even though 2017 could really do with the discovery of extra terrestrial life to balance out the other news.

I don’t think it’s aliens as fun as it is to joke about it on the internet. There’s a ton of wacky, rare atmospheric phenomenon we don’t understand because it’s hard to catch on camera.

Just as an example ball lightning wasn’t caught on good equipment until a couple of years ago (it was a very hot sphere of vaporized silicon from the soil). Between ball lightning and the rarer upper atmosphere lightning phenomena like sprites, blue jets and the like probably cover a lot of UFOs.

I’m a fan of the “atmospheric maser “ ball lightning theory myself.. It’s more likely than aliens!

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

The other Peacemaker: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_AU-23_Peacemaker

It is not as big as the B-36. Also, Sharkmouth.

"Armed gunship, counter-insurgency, utility transport"

Did Motormax put the wrong plane in the box?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

R-Type posted:

"Armed gunship, counter-insurgency, utility transport"

Did Motormax put the wrong plane in the box?

*somewhere in the Pentagon, early 70s*

“What do you mean you can’t put a 20mm cannon on a Cessna 180”
“...well, to start it doesn’t have enough engine power...”
“Fine. A turboprop Pilotus it is then!”

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

hobbesmaster posted:

*somewhere in the Pentagon, early 70s*

“What do you mean you can’t put a 20mm cannon on a Cessna 180”
“...well, to start it doesn’t have enough engine power...”
“Fine. A turboprop Pilotus it is then!”

iraqi air force

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The caravan is much more recent.

Same idea though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Didn't the Iraqi Air Force's Combat Caravan get shot down after only a month?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

a patagonian cavy posted:

iraqi air force

Got to see one of those in the flesh a few years back, as well as the system to turn a C-27 into a pocket-gunship.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Ola posted:

So this UFO stuff.

quote:

"Well, we’ve got a real-world vector for you,” replied the USS Princeton’s radio operator. According to the Times:

For two weeks, the operator said, the Princeton had been tracking mysterious aircraft. The objects appeared suddenly at 80,000 feet, and then hurtled toward the sea, eventually stopping at 20,000 feet and hovering. Then they either dropped out of radar range or shot straight back up.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a14456936/that-time-the-us-navy-had-a-close-encounter-with-a-ufo/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I, too, have had a radar start generating a bunch of insane returns. However, my reaction was less "holy poo poo, it's aliens" and more "gently caress, I need to reset the detector processor".

My absolute favorite part of UFO stories is how people treat radar systems as this utterly infallible truth data, as opposed to an antiquated computer system doing its best effort to decipher a ridiculous mishmash of EM signals bouncing all over the place.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It wasn't uncommon for us to have spurious radar returns displayed with an altitude of -10 (-100 ft), which of course makes no sense. The running joke was that we were detecting submarines again. No, it didn't matter that half the time we were in Nevada or Georgia or Arizona.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Godholio posted:

It wasn't uncommon for us to have spurious radar returns displayed with an altitude of -10 (-100 ft), which of course makes no sense. The running joke was that we were detecting submarines again. No, it didn't matter that half the time we were in Nevada or Georgia or Arizona.

Hey, it does happen

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a26598/c-130-sea-level-dead-sea/

(Please excuse the popular mechanics link)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

As someone who’s plumbed the depths of radars that you may or may not have used, it’s a goddamned miracle they work as well as they do. They’re great on paper, but the real world is a very, very, messy place...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
We had one guy so hopped up on UFO theories that he jeopardized his clearance trying to analyze spurious radar returns that weren’t his job. Ducting does weird poo poo.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
It’s not so much that the radar saw it, it’s that the craft was confirmed on the FLIR pod.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Under certain circumstances, civilian controllers are obligated to call traffic, regardless of what the respective mode-C readouts are. I take great pleasure in the idiocy of our traffic phraseology when I have to call a target that is showing a negative altitude. It is confusing to the pilots 100% of the time, but we're still required to do it.

:v:

simble
May 11, 2004

Well, what is it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

It’s not so much that the radar saw it, it’s that the craft was confirmed on the FLIR pod.

But the thing on the FLIR pod is just a blotch that seems to rotate in sync with the pod head. No film of it creating wake in the sea and then soaring to the sky.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: As soon as I started reading, I knew all their poo poo would stop working because of course it would.

movax posted:

As someone who’s plumbed the depths of radars that you may or may not have used, it’s a goddamned miracle they work as well as they do. They’re great on paper, but the real world is a very, very, messy place...

Agreed. Simple in concept, wizardry in implementation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I love that they thought to make it work down to -400ft because the lowest airfield in the US is at -200, but they didn't think to just push that slightly further to cover the whole earth.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cowboy elvis posted:

Dunkirk is out in blu ray and has some very cool special features covering the production. Particularly the aerial stuff is cool as hell. They modified the hell out of a Yak-52 for the Spitfire shots.

yup

Also this

And these

D C fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 21, 2017

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

"We've got this big expensive camera rigged up to the tail of an airplane, but how do we keep the lens dry?"
"Just wrap a garbage bag over it"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I, too, have had a radar start generating a bunch of insane returns. However, my reaction was less "holy poo poo, it's aliens" and more "gently caress, I need to reset the detector processor".

My absolute favorite part of UFO stories is how people treat radar systems as this utterly infallible truth data, as opposed to an antiquated computer system doing its best effort to decipher a ridiculous mishmash of EM signals bouncing all over the place.

ONE WEIRD TRICK TO FOOL THE APS-145 RADAR

Sea State > 1

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Somewhere out at Groom Lake, some secret squirrel test or operational squadron is showing that video up in their ready room and pissing themselves laughing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Honestly, that remains the best argument for why the video means literally nothing. If it was super serious poo poo, it wouldn't have been so deliberately released.

Or maybe I'm the guy being laughed at by the people with mega-double-super-reptile-secret clearances as they zip about in their hypersonic egg-ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

dupersaurus posted:

"We've got this big expensive camera rigged up to the tail of an airplane, but how do we keep the lens dry?"
"Just wrap a garbage bag over it"

You've clearly never been around a film crew. Tape and plastic, instant weatherproofing. That was before we ripped a hole for the lens element and taped that too.