Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Samuringa posted:

I missed it but I remember someone posting that if you check the library, in the end, the name was inspired by a girl that had some sort of sickness.

That's Yonah, OG Nier's child and the reason why everything went to poo poo. I don't remember them sayin' it was the inspiration tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Know Such Peace posted:

I believe Yoko Taro stated in an interview that the meaning of "YoRHa" was a secret.

this is reminding me of the running joke in no one lives forever where the villain organisation constantly reminds its workers what their name H.A.R.M. stood for as a threat but none of the employees actually knows what it stood for.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hello friends, I want to buy your copy of the Nier Black Box edition, so if you love money more than I do, head on over

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843314

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I can solve b), the states traversed by Nier Automata are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:getin:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Considering that npc behavior in games is actually (still?) 99% modeled using DFSMs this pun/joke is actually way more fitting than it would initially seem. Wouldn't even surprise me if Yoko Taro stumbled across the theoretical concept at some point.

The meta humor of a cs student always having a tab with a hex/bin converter open and taking a "screenshot" with a phone camera is just the icing on the cake.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/940324608615464960
fyi pocket camp is a nihilistic bleak hellscape of charmless rear end in a top hat npcs making you do their arbitrary bidding for no payoff and people have started building prisons and cults in it

Yoko taro found his soulmate :allears:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 12, 2017

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The director of TINY METAL, an upcoming strategy game asks Yoko Taro to give his opinion on their game, and he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZDh7GndCA

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Finished chapters A through E just a few days ago, and this may be the first time I actually bother to go back and 100% a game. This is my GOTY. My wife completed the game as well, and she never finishes anything. She actually deleted her save so she could start over fresh. And...she's picked up some Nier fanfiction.

Well done, :yokotaro:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

central dogma posted:

Finished chapters A through E just a few days ago, and this may be the first time I actually bother to go back and 100% a game. This is my GOTY. My wife completed the game as well, and she never finishes anything. She actually deleted her save so she could start over fresh. And...she's picked up some Nier fanfiction.

Well done, :yokotaro:

I too 100%'d the game. ;)

But I actually sort of regret not donating my save when I was wrapped up in the moment. I knew I wanted to finish sidequests and poo poo at the time, but I also wouldn't have minded starting over. Game was fuckin good.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I donated my save a few months ago but I'm getting the itch again and have started to replay it. So far apart from skipping through some text boxes for sidequests I've already completed the game still has me hooked and looking forward to the next bit. The only thing that's been bugging me is a couple of the sidequests I never got to complete or even start, like those machines guarding those elevator doors who explore when you talk to them. That's part of a side quest line right?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That's the DLC

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought those elevators were supposed to be the three places you go as 9S in Part III to unlock the tower?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I thought those elevators were supposed to be the three places you go as 9S in Part III to unlock the tower?

Nope. They're the DLC entrances.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/thatguyinthehat/status/942724222857576448

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
dlc still not on sale eh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished Ending C. Ya know, I like SO MUCH about this game, but I don't understand why, right when the story really kicks into high-gear, they throw more fetch-quests, hacking, and enemy gauntlets at you. The tower was incredible in terms of story but I was getting so sick and tired of burning through robots by the end of it.

I was hoping to get through D tonight as well, but I can't bear to play through the final chapter again just yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh. You've unlocked chapter select. You can just jump right to the last fight.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uh. You've unlocked chapter select. You can just jump right to the last fight.

Oh drat, I figured it'd start me at the very beginning of the tower sequence. Good to know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Get back in there!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, i generally don't know if it helps or hurts to tell people that once they've finished C they're like 15 minutes away from finishing D and E, and it's worth every second. Usually there's plenty of completionist/sidequest stuff you ignored or missed left to dig into afterwards.

I do know that painting the picture of "you need 5 full playthroughs to *get it*! also there's 26 endings wow!" instead of just up front saying "look, it's just 3 chapters, don't be intimidated" probably does the game no favors, even if it loses some of the surprise impact of seeing changes on "repeat playthroughs" if you expect just a regular NG+ (which is what the game's vocabulary suggests).

dunno if that's actually a spoiler at this point but hey, with christmas sales and this game ramping in goty list rankings there might be new players coming in, so in the interest of not being a dick i'll be better safe than sorry

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Maaaaaan I'm so glad I went back and finished it. I feel confident in saying that Nier can be considered a landmark entry in this entire genre of story. It's the kind of game that I think any science fiction fan owes to it themselves to experience, even if it isn't in their comfort zone.

It's frankly absurd that we live in a world where Nier, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey all came out in the same year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Maaaaaan I'm so glad I went back and finished it. I feel confident in saying that Nier can be considered a landmark entry in this entire genre of story. It's the kind of game that I think any science fiction fan owes to it themselves to experience, even if it isn't in their comfort zone.

It's frankly absurd that we live in a world where Nier, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey all came out in the same year.

we pay for it with the real world being horrible

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Finally got around to playing and finishing this

Thank you for your sacrifice, chinese_street_shitter

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Finally got around to playing and finishing this

Thank you for your sacrifice, chinese_street_shitter

He died for your sins.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
(Ending E Spoilers)The first person who offered me help at the credits was named "2B" which only made things better

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

I too 100%'d the game. ;)

But I actually sort of regret not donating my save when I was wrapped up in the moment. I knew I wanted to finish sidequests and poo poo at the time, but I also wouldn't have minded starting over. Game was fuckin good.
I was kinda the same, but my thought was that after all those people sacrificed their saves for me, how could I not do the same for them?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I was kinda the same, but my thought was that after all those people sacrificed their saves for me, how could I not do the same for them?

Yeah that whole ending sequence was the best part of the game for me and brought me to tears. I couldn't turn down the opportunity to give that to another player.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've been interested in this game so I'm getting it with some Christmas Ca$h. Im curious about the DLC; I gather it adds battle arenas and what have you, but does it add some story content as well? I don't mind so much about whether it's worth the price specifically(there's always sales and you can get the game itself pretty cheap these days so I don't mind pricey DLC that much) more in general is the ~Nier Automata Experience~ better for having the DLC?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Kind of, but not really. There is a very small story addition, but it doesn’t directly impact the main characters.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The story content is really good and worth seeing, albeit very short. It definitely adds to the worldbuilding.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a weirdo music video at the end of the DLC that's kind of neat.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Getting to visit the networked machine base and seeing everyone's just kind of a dorky salaryman having their own thoughts and opinions is one of the best pieces of machine side worldbuilding in the game

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've completed ending A again and am plodding along through B, I noticed the Machine silhouette in the Top hat looked familiar and so is its indifference to an admirer. Then I noticed that the theme park boss is called Simone. I'm guessing she's an allusion to Simone de Beuavoir another Existentialist philosopher and associate of Jean-Paul Sartre

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
He’s a dick, and you are correct.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Raxivace posted:

There's a weirdo music video at the end of the DLC that's kind of neat.
I thought that video was meh but apparently that's like an insanely popular and expensive artist/thing to license? and it mostly felt over the top and goofy. Could've gone without that and a few more arenas, but i considered the dlc purchase more of a tip anyway.

I wouldn't call it essential to get unless you - like me - don't mind paying a bit (too much at full price) for some interesting lore bits, some funny writing and a buttload of combat (sometimes gimmicky in hit or miss ways).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I got this for Christmas and just spent an hour with it and I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on, but I know I like it!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the arranged soundtrack is really nice

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Why was John-Paul's name bleeped out when 9S said it during his mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ChrisBTY posted:

Why was John-Paul's name bleeped out when 9S said it during his mission?

Because the estate of Jean-Paul Sartre is incredibly litigious.

In the original script (and the Japanese version) his name was Sartre. And then legal informed them they couldn't use that, but by then the voice work had already been recorded. So now it sounds like Jean-Paul is such a fucker that even speaking his name is obscene.