Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So Runaways had a return to form in quality. It's kinda weird how sympathetic they're making the parents but for the most part I don't mind most of the changes (even the Giborim being just a very American alien guy) except for Nico's staff. That change sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, they have a dinosaur and a glowy and flying girl, why not a magic staff?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

irlZaphod posted:

Crisis on Earth X had a really silly story, but it's worth it to see all the characters interacting. One of my favourite moments was Kara's reaction to Nazi-Kara and Nazi-Ollie being an item.

Flash and Supergirl arriving at the scene, and moments later Olllie shows up on his motorcycle. "Just a quick reminder, superspeed - I don't have it."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Flash and Supergirl arriving at the scene, and moments later Olllie shows up on his motorcycle. "Just a quick reminder, superspeed - I don't have it."

I loved the way Amell delivered that line.

Also, I didn't buy Kara being all "eww" to Nazi Kara and Nazi Ollie being a thing. I mean, there is nothing "eww" about Stephen Amell. It would have been funnier for those two to comment on it later in sort of a "hmm, maybe..." way later.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Codependent Poster posted:

I loved the way Amell delivered that line.

Also, I didn't buy Kara being all "eww" to Nazi Kara and Nazi Ollie being a thing. I mean, there is nothing "eww" about Stephen Amell. It would have been funnier for those two to comment on it later in sort of a "hmm, maybe..." way later.
Regardless of his looks, after Ollie cut Kara out during the Invasion crossover, I thought it was a pretty understandable reaction.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Ollie is Broods McKillface as far as she knows, and Kara is the living personification of a hug. They are not compatible romantically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You guys don't get it, he's physically attractive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She’s an alien, why would he be into that?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

You guys don't get it, he's physically attractive.

Yea, but so is she.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

She’s an alien, why would he be into that?

Felicity Salmon Ladder is his only true love...:love:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Felicity Salmon Ladder is his only true love...:love:

If Supergirl saw him on the salmon ladder she would have been in love.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasn’t there a joke in the first crossover where she said something about him that made Barry all jealous?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

If Supergirl saw him on the salmon ladder she would have been in love.

No way, she'd push him out of the way and do it in like 3 seconds without breaking a sweat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

No way, she'd push him out of the way and do it in like 3 seconds without breaking a sweat.

Salmon ladder isn't much of a challenge if you can loving fly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
New Black Lightning trailer

(:science:)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm down.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aw yeah, Backseat Freestyle!
My mom wants to start watching this when it comes out so I guess I'm in too. I dropped Arrowverse shows a while back but I'm down to give this one a shot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Started off the new year by finally watching the first episode of Legion.

Holy loving poo poo this show is good. Like I'm about to poo poo myself here.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Me too, for some reason I just assumed they would distance themselves further from the themes of the source material but I'm really enjoying how comic booky it is. Like I didn't even think it would have other mutants much less a secret learning institute and training center

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BrianWilly posted:

Welcome. Embrace Aubrey Plaza as your lord and savior.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Me too, for some reason I just assumed they would distance themselves further from the themes of the source material but I'm really enjoying how comic booky it is. Like I didn't even think it would have other mutants much less a secret learning institute and training center

Yeah I was expecting some tounge in cheek, wink wink nudge nudge stuff, but then nope [spoilers]here's Amahl Farouk the Shadow King and also you're the son of Charles Xavier[/spoilers]. No "big green guy" here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally gotten onto Arrow season five. Prometheus is a pretty fun villain.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've finally gotten onto Arrow season five. Prometheus is a pretty fun villain.

It's the second best season after season 2. A return to form if you will.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So Gifted is just outright moving into Hellfire Club stuff it seems. I wasn't expecting that. Also the preview for the finale seem to lean heavy on references to bigger things. Sad the season is already ending. How long until Legion S2? :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ToastyPotato posted:

So Gifted is just outright moving into Hellfire Club stuff it seems. I wasn't expecting that. Also the preview for the finale seem to lean heavy on references to bigger things. Sad the season is already ending. How long until Legion S2? :(

I had never even heard of the Stepford Cuckoos, but she screamed "Emma Frost" to me so I came across their page. It's crazy that what I thought was going to just be a generic mutant show is turning into one of the most X-Men feeling shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Cuckoos were introduced (in the comics) as Emma's proteges/pet project, so it is definitely on purpose that they remind you of her.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

The Cuckoos were introduced (in the comics) as Emma's proteges/pet project, so it is definitely on purpose that they remind you of her.

Yeah I did some research after this episode. Came out after I stopped reading X-Men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And now they're bit more than just her favorite students.

ToastyPotato posted:

That makes sense I guess, since before Legion the deal was for a Hellfire Club show.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

I guess this is kind of a spoiler if you like old X-Men books but the Cuckoos are a product of the Weapon program made from Emma Frost's DNA. It's really dumb too but then again so is a great deal of X-Men canon. I like the X-Men, probably mostly nostalgia making it more palatable, but there's some really stupid poo poo in there.

When they dropped the references to Magneto once being a king in the Hellfire Club I was impressed. That and the Purifiers in the opener were a nice touch.

The Gifted and Legion are pretty good at doing some deep pulls without it being gratuitous or super obvious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I guess this is kind of a spoiler if you like old X-Men books but the Cuckoos are a product of the Weapon program made from Emma Frost's DNA. It's really dumb too but then again so is a great deal of X-Men canon. I like the X-Men, probably mostly nostalgia making it more palatable, but there's some really stupid poo poo in there.

More specifically, they actually harvested her eggs, they're her daughters biologically.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait Purfiers? gently caress those guys, kill them all

And I haven't seen the latest Runaways but it seems like its showing that the Showrunners are stuck in the "no one actually wants to see the stuff from the comics, they just want characters arguing and keeping secrets from each other for no reason!" kind of thinking.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

More specifically, they actually harvested her eggs, they're her daughters biologically.

I probably really don't wanna know how they got ahold of those do i

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

twistedmentat posted:

Wait Purfiers? gently caress those guys, kill them all

And I haven't seen the latest Runaways but it seems like its showing that the Showrunners are stuck in the "no one actually wants to see the stuff from the comics, they just want characters arguing and keeping secrets from each other for no reason!" kind of thinking.

I haven't seen this week's episode either, but now that I think about it, Runaways really does feel like it was written for the previous decade. It would fit right at home on ABC Family along side Kyle XY. Also, I feel like Molly probably could have been one of the most likeable characters but has instead easily become the most easily hateable character, despite being on a show where there are several scumbag adult characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

I probably really don't wanna know how they got ahold of those do i

It's a retcon well after the fact of course, but it was after the Hellions are killed by the Wild Sentinels and her diamond form secondary mutation activates. She survives because of it, but she's in a coma for a while. Sublime finds time to sneak in somewhere there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Runaways feels like Preacher season 1 in that they wanted to have the whole first season be a build up to them actually getting together and actually running away.

Like, we aren't going to get to the major events that happen in the comic until the second season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The major events of the comic are all cameos they won’t do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I'll be honest, it's been a while since I read Runaways but what sticks out in my mind is poo poo like Ultron and Skrulls and Wolverine and Captain America and Spider-man and Iron Man showing up and having conflicting ideals with the characters while they deal with their own teen drama. Whatever's going on with the Pride is just like, the inciting incident.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The major events of the comic are all cameos they won’t do.

The arc where they go to New York is great and will never be in the show for obvious reasons. Molly and the Punisher is one of the greatest crossover interactions ever.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gifted's been renewed (official) for a second season and Runaways is in talks with unofficial word that it's a done deal for another season.

Both of these are positives for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Gifted's been renewed (official) for a second season and Runaways is in talks with unofficial word that it's a done deal for another season.

Both of these are positives for me.
Yeah Gifted has been awesome. I'm so-so on Runaways but if it means interesting stuff starts to happen more frequently then I guess that is a positive.