Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Weren't The Martian and Wool self-published?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pseudorandom name posted:

I believe both were eventually picked up by real publishers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

I mean statistically speaking there's bound to be a tiny percentage of self published books that are worth reading. That doesn't mean we want to be buried under RPGLit or man-tiger hybrids that gently caress space-vampires in the quest for quality.

Let a "self published" thread wade through the miles of poo poo to uncover the one or two dry patches of land they happen to stumble across.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Perhaps I should ask this a different way: is there anyone who's a fan of that stuff who is willing to start up a separate thread for it?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

And I nominate BravestOfTheLamps for the task.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Perhaps I should ask this a different way: is there anyone who's a fan of that stuff who is willing to start up a separate thread for it?

I can do it, as a brave veteran of the Kindle Unlimited trenches.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Serious question: do we need to split the self published crap off into a separate thread

It's making my soul hurt

It seems cyclical and therefore manageable. But if it sustains itself enough to be a constant toothache rather than an intermittent diversion I’d vote yes.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Isn't a ton of RPGlit trad published though? Which is what more people have been complaining about. That poo poo could definitely stand to be quarantined in its own thread. I mean, there's garbage SFF, but that poo poo is like the maggots feeding on the garbage.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Stuporstar posted:

Isn't a ton of RPGlit trad published though? Which is what more people have been complaining about. That poo poo could definitely stand to be quarantined in its own thread. I mean, there's garbage SFF, but that poo poo is like the maggots feeding on the garbage.

Great, another offshoot thread where no one will post because there's only like 4 of us with low enough standards to read this stuff.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Reign as kings on the 2nd or 3rd page of the TBB subforum, rather than pariah's here.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Victorkm posted:

Great, another offshoot thread where no one will post because there's only like 4 of us with low enough standards to read this stuff.

You could just do it on, heh, Reddit.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I can do it, as a brave veteran of the Kindle Unlimited trenches.

Please do. Maybe it'll draw off the traffic from here or maybe it'll just die on its own, I dunno. I see the humor value in those posts but there's a nails-on-chalkboard quality to them also.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Not to get all Lampsy but are those litrpg things really that much worse than some of the other stuff that gets posted here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fritz posted:

Not to get all Lampsy but are those litrpg things really that much worse than some of the other stuff that gets posted here.

yes

besides it's important to have a bright line test and "published by an actual publisher" is a convenient bright line, at least for now before Amazon replaces all publishers

or wait some of those litrpg books are probably published by real publishers aren't they

point being, I'm turning and turning in the widening gyre here

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There is already a "PYF horrible book" in , unsurprisingly, PYF.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:siren: Terra Ignota Book 3, The Will To Battle, (series started with Too Like The Lightning) is out :siren:

I might like it better than book 2. I was a big drat sucker for the parliamentary stuff and intrigue stuff, though.

also she fairly early on in this one says what Terra Ignota means (Narrator: "Hey, that's the name of the series!"), for Latin-illiterates

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There is already a "PYF horrible book" in , unsurprisingly, PYF.

Theoretically we could move most of this forum into PYF.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Theoretically we could move most of this forum into PYF.

Thank you.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: Terra Ignota Book 3, The Will To Battle, (series started with Too Like The Lightning) is out :siren:

I might like it better than book 2. I was a big drat sucker for the parliamentary stuff and intrigue stuff, though.

also she fairly early on in this one says what Terra Ignota means (Narrator: "Hey, that's the name of the series!"), for Latin-illiterates

I'm in the middle of book 2 so that's Christmas sorted. :woop:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

yes

besides it's important to have a bright line test and "published by an actual publisher" is a convenient bright line, at least for now before Amazon replaces all publishers

or wait some of those litrpg books are probably published by real publishers aren't they

point being, I'm turning and turning in the widening gyre here

In the music forum, there is one thread for metal, one for doom metal, one for death core and one for punk and probably more.
All I am saying there is precedence for genre separations. Especially given there is already one thread for space opera and one for GW stuff, all of which could arguably be merged into this thread.
Please don't do this

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" is a great sci-fi book that is well worth re-reading

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is there any kind of resolution or does it just leave everything open for the (concluding??) last book?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

A3th3r posted:

Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" is a great sci-fi book that is well worth re-reading

It's been about a decade since I last reread it, and with the movie coming out it's about time for another. It was my favorite book as a child.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

uberkeyzer posted:

Is there any kind of resolution or does it just leave everything open for the (concluding??) last book?

Ending spoiler, obviously: The war doesn't start until the end, so no. I still loved it, it's all about the politics of a world about to explode, but the conclusion is the nature of how the war finally kicks off.

Short answer: it's arguably even less adequately concluded as a single book than TLtL.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 22, 2017

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Short answer: it's arguably even less adequately concluded as a single book than TLtL.

That's... impressive.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Still, she's nailing all her deadlines, it looks like, so whatever really, I can deal with some books that end on commas if they don't have multiple years and broken promises between them.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Does anyone have a book recommendation that deals with monkey's paw-like consequences? Maybe something like a society unearths ancient technology and thinks it's a boon but spends an entire book dealing with unforeseen consequences?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xtanstic posted:

Does anyone have a book recommendation that deals with monkey's paw-like consequences? Maybe something like a society unearths ancient technology and thinks it's a boon but spends an entire book dealing with unforeseen consequences?

Black Company. "Oh we're doomed if we can't get out of this contract... Oh poo poo."

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Xtanstic posted:

Tuf Voyaging springs to mind. (Pre-fame George R R Martin)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Thranguy posted:

Tuf Voyaging springs to mind. (Pre-fame George R R Martin)
Mind you, that's more concerned with the intergalactic weirdo ex machina that unfucks the abovementioned situations. Still an excellent read and easily my favorite thing GRRM has ever written.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

End of the year time! Looking back on the sci-fi I've read in 2017 the only thing that really stood out to me was Ian McDonald's two Luna books - a trilogy with book three not yet released. Really great Game of Thrones style series with corporate dynasties clashing on the moon, fantastic descriptive work (I think he's the best prose stylist in contemporary sci-fi), and some awesome setpieces which have really visually stuck in my mind. Lucas making his unprotected moondash in his fancy suit and leather shoes, the killer robots getting unleashed on the populace in the second book, Lucasinho and his little sister fleeing across the surface during the confusion of the civil war and him having to step up and be the adult.)

What's the best SFF book you read this year?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

freebooter posted:

That I read for the first time this year? Probably KSR's Aurora.

That came out this year? Hrm, Maybe Brust's Vallista?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Khizan posted:

That I read for the first time this year? Probably KSR's Aurora.

That would be my #1 the year I read it, for sure. It has its flaws and detractors, and I get that, but loving hell - that moment when the ship is flying towards the sun? "Meaning is the hard problem." That means nothing to someone who hasn't read the book, but in the context of what's happening: that, right there, I think is one of the most affective things I've ever read in sci-fi.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

freebooter posted:

End of the year time! Looking back on the sci-fi I've read in 2017 the only thing that really stood out to me was Ian McDonald's two Luna books - a trilogy with book three not yet released. Really great Game of Thrones style series with corporate dynasties clashing on the moon, fantastic descriptive work (I think he's the best prose stylist in contemporary sci-fi), and some awesome setpieces which have really visually stuck in my mind. Lucas making his unprotected moondash in his fancy suit and leather shoes, the killer robots getting unleashed on the populace in the second book, Lucasinho and his little sister fleeing across the surface during the confusion of the civil war and him having to step up and be the adult.)

For the first time this year -- well, I finally got around to trying Lois McMaster Bujold and I'm quite enjoying it. Still working my way through the Vorkosigan books.

Also, G. Willow Wilson's Alif the Unseen, Matt Ruff's Lovecraft Country, and the Southern Reach trilogy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Mind you, that's more concerned with the intergalactic weirdo ex machina that unfucks the abovementioned situations. Still an excellent read and easily my favorite thing GRRM has ever written.

Sometimes he doesn't though. Sometimes he does exactly as his clients request and leaves them to the fate that their decisions engender.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

Ship of Fools is largely this. Arguably some of the advances made in KSR's Mars trilogy end up having long term catastrophic consequences for a lot of people. Accelerando to some degree--humanity is not ultimately pleased with what it wrought, also Singularity Sky, and Stross's short story A Colder War fits the bill. Also a couple Thomas Disch short stories but I can't recall the title for those, but both in Fun With Your New Head which is a great collection overall.

Oh, and Roadside Picnic of course.

Also I suppose a lot of time travel stories where something is set wrong at the beginning and the rest of the story is just trying to get back to square one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The second Alex Verus novel contains a literal monkey's paw, but the antagonist picks it up, not the protagonist.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

freebooter posted:

Zachary Mason's Void Star. Really good modern cyber-punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The second Alex Verus novel contains a literal monkey's paw, but the antagonist picks it up, not the protagonist.

This turns out way cooler than it had any right to.