Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randaconda posted:

I've owned several pits, and I have never had a single problem with them.

But sure, let's demonize the whole breed so hand wringers can prove how tough on dogs they are, instead of dealing with the real problem of lovely owners.

Also, I feel like there's a weird racial element intertwined, as well, since a lot of African Americans own pit bulls.

lol, a gun nut, but for murder beasts

there is no reason for anybody in a civilized society to own a dog bred to kill, just like there is no reason to own a firearm (at least firearm doesn't have a mind of its own, though). both can go through their lifetime without an incident, which doesn't mean they aren't deadly in the aggregate.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Also, I feel like there's a weird racial element intertwined, as well, since a lot of African Americans own pit bulls.
Wasn't that the case with Rottweilers too?

What does that even mean and why do you talk like Sherlock Cumberbatch?

Not a fakepost:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Marie_Hilley
The wild ride that is Audrey Marie Hilley.
I was surprised that there weren't more articles about her.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

What does that even mean and why do you talk like Sherlock Cumberbatch?

actually we're typing not talking

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sarcopenia posted:

Wasn't that the case with Rottweilers too?

And dobermans, iirc.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42450641

The girls involved in the Slenderman murder gets 25 years in a mental hospital.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Randaconda posted:

That's honestly a better outcome (for them) than I expected.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy poo poo, they asked that the other get 40 in the mental hospital. RIP life.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Give them 104 years. Murder is bad, murder for memes is real bad

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PetraCore posted:

Okay, it's dumb for you to argue that 'pitbull attacks get skewed by misreporting' is apologia if there's evidence of that happening in a hit and run case. Abused dogs react aggressively. That's not defending the dogs because then they're aggressive dogs that you can't have around people. But by presenting it as breed exclusive and unrelated to neglect or abuse, aren't you sweeping animal abuse under the rug?

I never, not once, presented it as "breed exclusive." What I did was to point out that the whole "you don't know it's a pit bull!" is a transparent dodge. The people who *own them* say they're pit bulls. The people who buy them and rescue them and run adoption agencies for them aren't doing genetic tests on them to make sure they're "really" genetically pit bulls. That they're phenotypically a pit bull is close enough for defenders when they're advocating for the breed, and therefore it's close enough for the victims who are attacked by them.

Abused dogs may react aggressively, but you know what? A lot of dogs of a lot of different breeds get abused, but pit bulls are still an enormously prominent standout. Because they were bred to rip poo poo apart. That is literally why the breed was created. Just like a labrador was created to retrieve, or a bloodhound was created to be a scent tracker. Can an abused dachsund snap? Sure, but it's probably not going to eat its owner's ribcage. Any dog can attack out of fear, or pain, but a whole lot of pit bull attacks don't involve either: they involve the dog having *fun* because dogs *enjoy* doing what they were bred to do. A retriever *loves* playing fetch, a water dog *loves* swimming, and when there's a dog wagging its tail and showing all the dog body language of having a great time when it's ripping someone up, it's a terrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoMmE90DeyQ

And, yes, there are other kinds of terriers, but rat terriers and cairn terriers and Boston terriers only rarely kill people.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

They aren't the first dog breed to be villified in America. Bloodhounds were seen as vicious mankillers for many years.

I've heard this before, too. I think it's from that idiot dog whisperer guy: "In the 1980s everyone was scared of dobermans. In the 90s it was Rottweilers. Now it's pit bulls."

Trouble is, if you go and look at the data, no, pits have always been a breed that is *disproportionately dangerous* due to the *breed characteristics*. It's a breed that kills more kids than all other breeds combined. If you go into a lab that tests aggressive dogs for rabies, you don't see a bunch of decapitated schnauzers and basset hounds. But the defenders will never acknowledge that, it's always victim-blaming. "The dog was abused|neglected|you should know better than to do that around a dog," where values of "that" include "sleep in the same house"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-dog-bite-child-1011-story.html

Or "fall down"

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/9-year-old-attacked-by-pit-bull-in-warren

Or "train them to be a service dog"

http://www.wfmj.com/story/32030177/youngstown-pit-bull-to-be-put-down-after-attacking-owner

Or sing, or get the mail from the mailbox. And in so many of these cases, even the dogs owners will swear up and down that the dog never showed signs of aggression before.

http://www.kbzk.com/story/35754334/dog-owner-in-fatal-attack-they-never-showed-aggression

It's utterly disingenous to maintain simultaneously that these dogs are potentially fatal at the slightest misstep, due to abuse or neglect in their past, and also that they're really just the same as any other breed.

I like pits. The pits I've known have been cuddly snugglebugs. But so are the ones who wind up eating kids. They're lovable family pets, until suddenly they're not. And what is the special benefit? What does this breed do as a pet that other breeds do not?

maskenfreiheit posted:

pit bulls aren't the problem, people who abuse them are.

Do only pit bulls attract abusive owners? No, of course not. Dogs of all breeds are abused and neglected. So where are all the dead and maimed people that result from the abuse of those breeds?

Randaconda posted:

Give me a break.

Besesoth posted:

The plural of "anecdote" isn't "data".

Of course it is. This is one of those "clever" sayings that really isn't clever at all; it's right up there with "the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence" (The absence of evidence most definitely *is* the evidence of absence). An anecdote is literally a data point, and a data set is literally a collection of single events. Multiple anecdotes are multiple data points. This is precisely why *case studies* are valuable. The plural of "anecdote" is "qualitative study."

https://blogs.iq.harvard.edu/the_singular_of

The best bit is that it's a misquote, and the original utterer of it said "the plural of anecdote is data":

http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2011/04/the-plural-of-anecdote-is-data-after-all.html

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Dec 22, 2017

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

The world is gonna turn upside down when they learn that pit bulls are satanists

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Maybe we could move on from pit-chat.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well we tried moving on to the little monsters that goons helped create ❤

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scathach posted:

Well we tried moving on to the little monsters that goons helped create ❤

I did my best. :randstare:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Bottom line-- memes are (attempted) murder.

E: speaking of, let's discuss some strange reasons for murder!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/shadow-boxing/201711/strange-motives-serial-murder%3famp

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Dec 22, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Man who put up famous Christmas light display dies after fall from roof

:smith:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Members of a high school football team sodomized a teammate with a pool cue, and the school took at least 4 days to report it to police after becoming aware

:stare:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

Fine. Now his neighbors can get some loving sleep.
(It’s me. I’m the neighbor in Xmas Vacation.)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Randaconda posted:

Pretty good outcome imo. Gonna be hard to re-enter society after spending 2/3rds of your life in a hospital but ending up at the point where you'd try to murder a classmate to appease a fake creepy monster does require some more intensive treatment.

In their defense when I was 12 and didn't quite understand the 'kayfabe' around certain creepypastas I thought some dumb creepypasta stuff was real or at least that other people commenting thought it was real. The difference is I just acted dumb in the comments where everyone else was roleplaying, I didn't ever consider hurting anyone to appease whatever edgy thing was in. But I could see getting talked into doing something real bad because 12 year olds don't... they just don't have fully developed brains yet.

The thing that I think unsettles me about the Slenderman attack is that the person who had the idea and talked her friend around into participating was also 12. It's easier for me to grasp kids getting manipulated by older people than it is to grasp them doing this stuff independently, since even though 12 year olds can get a lot of weird ideas into their heads it takes a level of conviction and desperation to repeatedly stab someone that isn't really 'normal kids stuff'. I guess that's where the mental illness comes in.

I wonder what exactly went down that prosecutors are asking for Morgan to get almost twice the sentence of Anissa, other than Morgan being the one to talk Anissa around. Like that might be enough to bump the asked-for sentence up that much but I'm wondering if other factors such as a potential lack of remorse are going into that.

I hope the victim is doing okay now. As sympathetic as I'm being towards Anissa getting stabbed a bunch is more traumatic than choosing to stab someone a bunch. Like just because she survived doesn't mean there's not going to be a lifelong impact on her, it just means her life is going to be a lot longer than the alternative.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Phanatic posted:

Abused dogs may react aggressively, but you know what? A lot of dogs of a lot of different breeds get abused, but pit bulls are still an enormously prominent standout. Because they were bred to rip poo poo apart. That is literally why the breed was created. Just like a labrador was created to retrieve, or a bloodhound was created to be a scent tracker. Can an abused dachsund snap? Sure, but it's probably not going to eat its owner's ribcage. Any dog can attack out of fear, or pain, but a whole lot of pit bull attacks don't involve either: they involve the dog having *fun* because dogs *enjoy* doing what they were bred to do. A retriever *loves* playing fetch, a water dog *loves* swimming, and when there's a dog wagging its tail and showing all the dog body language of having a great time when it's ripping someone up, it's a terrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoMmE90DeyQ

And, yes, there are other kinds of terriers, but rat terriers and cairn terriers and Boston terriers only rarely kill people.
Yeah I agree with that. I still think that pit bulls are more likely to go after other (strange) dogs than humans, because they were bred to rip apart other dogs, but I said upthread I think pit bulls have messed up instincts around violence. That doesn't make them living guns or eliminate the fact that a lot of reported pit bull attacks were from other breeds. It also doesn't eliminate classism in pit bull bans.

Dog breeds tend to be bred to perform jobs. The job pit bulls were bred for are horrific and should not exist anymore, and doesn't LEGALLY exist. I'm not sure I really like the idea of keeping breeding purebred pit bulls in that context, but what I mostly object to is people pushing for laws that require current owners of pit bulls to rehome their dogs, move, or put their dogs down, regardless of how well-behaved their dog is and regardless of if it's fixed or spayed or has ever bred. The difference between a dog and a gun is that a dog is a living creature that is dependent on humans and did nothing wrong in being born. Advocating for the euthanesia of well-behaved pit bulls - which I am not suggesting that you have done - is pretty horrific when there's other less extreme tactics that can be taken even if it's decided that the breed is too dangerous to be bred.

EDIT: Like I'm speaking pretty vaguely because I don't think that I have enough hard evidence to say that pit bulls specifically are a major problem, but even if they are, there are some viewpoints that are too extreme.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I agree with that. I still think that pit bulls are more likely to go after other (strange) dogs than humans, because they were bred to rip apart other dogs, but I said upthread I think pit bulls have messed up instincts around violence. That doesn't make them living guns or eliminate the fact that a lot of reported pit bull attacks were from other breeds. It also doesn't eliminate classism in pit bull bans.

Dog breeds tend to be bred to perform jobs. The job pit bulls were bred for are horrific and should not exist anymore, and doesn't LEGALLY exist. I'm not sure I really like the idea of keeping breeding purebred pit bulls in that context, but what I mostly object to is people pushing for laws that require current owners of pit bulls to rehome their dogs, move, or put their dogs down, regardless of how well-behaved their dog is and regardless of if it's fixed or spayed or has ever bred. The difference between a dog and a gun is that a dog is a living creature that is dependent on humans and did nothing wrong in being born. Advocating for the euthanesia of well-behaved pit bulls - which I am not suggesting that you have done - is pretty horrific when there's other less extreme tactics that can be taken even if it's decided that the breed is too dangerous to be bred.

I think We're supposed make a pit stop.:classiclol:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

This happens all the time. Football players and frat bros especially love shoving things up the butts of new recruits. I even remember hearing about this happening at my high school 15 ish years ago. Male on male sexual assault is depressingly common and almost never talked about.

Also, fwiw, any pit bull that attacks people is bad at being a pit bull. They were bred to hurt dogs, and the owners are supposed to be able to separate them even when the dogs are trying to murder eachother. If you want to euthanize breeds based on their purpose to hurt people, you’d be better off going after mastiffs or chows or something.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sarcopenia posted:

Mea culpa! Have some Mari Lwyd pictures for Christmas instead.

It's a tradition in South Wales where the Mari Lwyd, a puppet made with a horse skull, shows up at houses on Christmas so the homeowners and people operating the puppet could go back and forth in rhyme or song about if they could come in or not, and if the homeowners relented they had to give the puppeteers food and drink.

Not that weird of a tradition, considering going around and entertaining on Christmas in exchange for food and drink was a much wider practice, but the specific unsettling appearance of the puppet really sells it for me.

EDIT: Although apparently the Mari Lwyd would go around at other important holiday times, too.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I think they're kind of goofy and cute looking :3:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sarcopenia posted:

I think they're kind of goofy and cute looking :3:
Yeah! Horse skull just wants to rhyme and get drunk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Yeah! Horse skull just wants to rhyme and get drunk.

I would absolutely invite them, but the skull needs to stay on the entire time.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I think I need some horse skull totems for my yard. For science.

Honestly those are pretty adorable.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Just make sure they don't smooch your dog.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarcopenia posted:

:frogout:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This also happened in the town adjacent to my hometown but it turns out this is a completely different story l m a o

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
This one is pretty hard to top for :stare:-factor:

quote:

An Idaho judge has sentenced a white former high school football player to just 300 hours of community service with probation for his part in an attack on a developmentally disabled African American team-mate, insisting the case had been wrongly portrayed by the media as racially or sexually motivated.

In a series of extraordinary remarks, district judge Randy J Stoker on Friday accused the press and the public for misrepresenting what happened in a rural Idaho high school locker room on 22 October 2015, lamenting “people from the east coast have no idea what this case is about”.

John RK Howard, who is now 19, was originally charged with forcible penetration by use of a foreign object for an attack on a 17-year-old in the Dietrich High School locker room after football practice.

The victim’s family, who are bringing a civil case, allege he was subject to sustained racist abuse and bullying in the months leading up to the incident, which involved the insertion of a coat hanger in his rectum. However Stoker was insistent the case, which has prompted nearly 150,000 people to sign change.org petition to have the judge removed from the bench in Idaho, had been misconstrued.

“This is not a rape case,” said an emphatic Stoker. “This is not a sex case. This started out as penetration with a foreign object ... Whatever happened in that locker room was not sexual. It wasn’t appropriate. There’s nothing in this record that supports anything close to the sexual allegation against this young man.”

“In my view, this is not a case about racial bias,” the judge continued, addressing the pale young man at the defense table. “If I thought that you had committed this offense for racial purposes, you would go straight to the Idaho penitentiary.”

According to the civil lawsuit filed by the victim’s family, their son had been the focus of long-term racial bullying and abuse. Howard taught him a song that glorified anal rape and the KKK, and members of the football team called him slurs including “friend of the family”, “chicken eater”, “watermelon” and “Kool-Aid”.

But on Friday, Stoker brushed aside those assertions. The victim “was not targeted, which dispels in my view any claim of a racial incident”, Stoker said. “Another individual who was involved said [the victim] was called ‘fried chicken’ because [he] said it was his favorite food ... I don’t think it’s a racial slur.”

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Apraxin posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that judge.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Apraxin posted:

I see, I see, it's only rape if the rapist is getting off to it right then and there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sarcopenia posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that judge.

He'll win reelection.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Like I'm speaking pretty vaguely because I don't think that I have enough hard evidence to say that pit bulls specifically are a major problem, but even if they are, there are some viewpoints that are too extreme.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Roy Moore was a representative example, not an outlier.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Don Gato posted:

This is absolutely true, by the way.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Don Gato posted:

This is one of the most unnerving things in this thread.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
He might as well have dropped a "No homo bro" in that statement.

Some more "The justice system is real scary y'all".
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/27/us/27fortcollins.html
A Memphis Three-esque case of a teenager jailed for the murder of a woman because he drew typical angsty, teenage drawings and chose the wrong day to take a new route to school. There was a much more viable suspect who lived right next to where the body was found but I guess a 120lb teenager is a way better murder suspect than a surgeon who knew the judge who would later prosecute the case, lived just next to where the body was found and was later found to be a maaassive creep.

Oh and a quote from wikipedia about that detective who was really sorry that he might have made a mistake.

quote:

Though investigators noted a possible link between Hammond and the Hettrick murder, no follow up investigation was done. Broderick ordered evidence in the Hammond case destroyed before it could be examined for any link with Hettrick[21] based upon the premise that he had committed suicide and there was no criminal investigation that would begin. The arrest of Dr. Hammond, and his subsequent suicide, was information withheld from Dr. Meloy and the other experts, and the FBI was not informed of this case by Larimer County to reconsider their profiling of Mr. Masters from 1987.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
How long has it been since someone posted about Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome?

"Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome is a disorder that strikes the sufferer with debilitating motor and cognitive problems, hyperuricemia, and the urge to do harm to yourself with acts of self-injurious behavior"

Oh? What kind of self-injurious behavior?

"Then they noticed that Matthew's hands were bound and covered in gauze. They asked for him to have his bandages removed and the young patient went wide eyed as if scared. When his hands were exposed they saw that the tips of Matthew's fingers were missing. It was at this time that the doctors noticed that Matthew had bite damage around his lips as well. Matthew then began to cry and thrust his hands towards his mouth. The doctors were horrified as they realized that Matthew had chewed off his own fingers and parts of his lips and needed to be stopped from doing any more damage at that very moment."

---

"Lastly, all people with LNS display some degree of abnormal behavior, specifically, the self-injuring of one's self by biting. This behavior begins as soon as the child's teeth come in and typically results in parents frantically calling pediatricians asking why their children are trying to eat themselves."

---

"Treatments as simple as wearing oven mitts and as complicated as electrical wiring in the brain have been used to help the LNS sufferer but no cure for the syndrome seems in sight."

:(

edit: URL correct now, I hope.

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Dec 22, 2017