Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

there wolf posted:

Isn't deadly-bugs like a subgenre in British horror? I know the 'I don't even own a television' guys have done one or two along those lines.

Man if there are good examples of the subgenre I'd love to hear them. Bugs scare me silly, which makes reading horror novels about them fun. Parasite type stuff especially freaks me right the hell out so I'm always looking for good parasite horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Man if there are good examples of the subgenre I'd love to hear them. Bugs scare me silly, which makes reading horror novels about them fun. Parasite type stuff especially freaks me right the hell out so I'm always looking for good parasite horror.

I don't even own a television did one called Slugs by Shaun Huston which was about deadly slugs the burrowed there way into people in graphic ways. I remember it as making the very short list of episodes I will not go back to because even without going into detail it was pretty gross.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Chuck Wendig wrote a book about ants called Invasive. Dunno if they are genetically engineered or what but apparently it's a good book. I dunno, I haven't read it cause bug books make my skin crawl.

I think Jeff Strand wrote one about fire ants called Mandible or something like that. Again, didn't read it, don't like bugs.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Getsuya posted:

"Bloodchild" by Octavia Butler

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stuporstar posted:

"Bloodchild" by Octavia Butler
Ick. I forgot that I'd read that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Getsuya posted:

Infected, Contagion, and Pandemic, by Scott Sigler, feature the gently caress outta alien parasites. I liked them pretty well.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
There's also the infamously bad on several different levels book Eat Them Alive, which features giant killer praying mantis'. From what I have heard it sounds like one of those "I'm worried this book exists, but I am also worried that the writer did this instead of becoming a serial killer." type of books. Then again, one assessment of the book was "Eat Them Alive is ....nothing but violent death after violent death....Nace does this to the point of actually making intestinal ravaging and throat-ripping at the mandibles of giant praying mantises repetitive."

Edit: There's also John Saul's The Homing, which is admittedly a different take on such a concept. A good or passable take? That's eye of the beholder.

Cornwind Evil has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Dec 22, 2017

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
But not Piers Anthony's Firefly. Going in expecting a giant killer lightning bug will only leave you severely disappointed.

For those wondering- The real monster is piers anthony for writing a book that functions as a giant defense of pedophilia.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
my favorite bad book would have to be any of Ann McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series books. They are all nonsense fantasy books with no discernible enemy & a trite coming-of-age plot. Clearly when I was 8-11 years old I simply just never noticed any of those details

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A3th3r posted:

my favorite bad book would have to be any of Ann McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series books. They are all nonsense fantasy books with no discernible enemy & a trite coming-of-age plot. Clearly when I was 8-11 years old I simply just never noticed any of those details

I remember being in middle school and several times considering reading those but something put me off even trying them. Maybe I had a gut instinct? As an adult I discovered Pern had some problematic gender and sexuality issues plus the implications of the imprinting stuff, so I dodged a bullet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I loved the first dragonriders because I liked the spacefaring colonisers slowly cannibalizing their shiny high-tech command center to create a cave castle, and learning to use the dragons. But wow, gender really took a weird turn in later books.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A3th3r posted:

That's kind of sad, dude, because Pern is easily her best and most sensible series. Talents is where her weird gender stuff and predilection for pairing up young women with much older men who are often their mentors and/or friends of their parents really comes out to shine. At some point humans make friends with some muppety little alien race who they can form empathic bonds with; two of the little aliens decide their human needs a mate, and so they intentionally telegraph their heat through their empathic powers to get her and her gay second in command to gently caress.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A3th3r posted:

Just as a friendly reminder, Anne McCaffrey honestly believed that: "It's a proven fact that a single anal sex experience causes one to be homosexual. The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in effeminate homosexual males. For example, when I was much younger I knew a young man who was for all intents and purposes, heterosexual. He was mugged, and involved in a rape situation involving a tent peg. This one event was enough to have him start on a road that eventually led to him becoming effeminate and gay."

This came up when she was asked about the sexual orientation of the dragonriders. Since every dragon mating triggers an orgy between the riders of those dragons, and nearly all dragonriders are male, you get a lot of MM hookups. Do they just recruit every gay kid to ride dragons? Nope, they recruit a bunch of straight dudes and turn em' gay with dragon-facilitated, mind-controlled anal orgies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dienes posted:

Nope, they recruit a bunch of straight dudes and turn em' gay with dragon-facilitated, mind-controlled anal orgies.
You can't argue with science, man.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Dienes posted:

Nope, they recruit a bunch of straight dudes and turn em' gay with dragon-facilitated, mind-controlled anal orgies.

but enough about goonmeets

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dienes posted:

Turn em' gay with dragon-facilitated, mind-controlled anal orgies.

:allears:

new thread title?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Getsuya posted:

When the main girl was 10 her parents, both insanely dedicated etymologists, were always trying to get her to like bugs

"So the praying mantis gets its name from its folded forelegs, which resembles a person at prayer..."
"Oh, but don't forget that 'mantis' itself comes from the Greek for 'prophet.' Are you listening, honey? It's almost like you don't even care about the origin of words!"

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

A3th3r posted:

Um... are you equally confused about what the enemy is when reading something like Typhoon by Joseph Conrad?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everybody shut the gently caress up because I just found out this exists.

Despite him being on the cover this is supposed to be a novel and the main character is ostensibly NOT Steven Seagal.

quote:

Shadow Wolves is a book of fiction based on reality. Both author’s (sic) have worked with, confronted, and seen the power of the Deep State and the manner in which many federal government agencies willfully violate the Constitution and the laws of the land in service to special interests.

The 2016 election has for the first time made many American citizens aware that the Deep State is very real; that the mainstream media is a fake news media offering a false narrative designed by the secret intelligence world in service to special interests.
Yes, this is a real book.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

muscles like this! posted:

Despite him being on the cover this is supposed to be a novel and the main character is ostensibly NOT Steven Seagal.

I stared at that cover for a couple of minutes trying to formulate a thought that was coherent enough to post.

I've got nothin'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Leavemywife posted:

I stared at that cover for a couple of minutes trying to formulate a thought that was coherent enough to post.

I've got nothin'.

If anything was coming together in my mental snark department, that "FOREWORD BY SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO" at the bottom wiped it clean.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You found it. Now I demand a loving Let's Read of it.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Oh hello there book that I can already tell I'm going to read

I'm so excited to hear about Steven Seagal's experience with the deep state!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

girl pants posted:

Oh hello there book that I can already tell I'm going to read

I'm so excited to hear about Steven Seagal's experience with the deep state!

It is only $3 on Amazon Kindle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Amazon reviews of The Way of the Shadow Wolves

quote:

The most unintentionally hilarious book of the year. Washed up actor Steven Seagal spins a fantastical tale that really gives A Song of Ice and Fire a run for it's money in the race to come up with the most outlandish tale of all time. This is the written word equivalent of having a full frontal lobotomy performed.

PS - There were no wolves

quote:

If you weren't sure if Steven Seagal could read or write...

You still wont know after this book. I poorly written concoction of conservative fever dreams comes together in a way that is more stale than Seagal's performance in "Attack Force." If a STI could materialize in book form, it would likely be more readable than this book. The book is free through Amazon Kindle Unlimited, but free is far too high a price.

E:

It is only $3 on Amazon Kindle.

Free if you have Amazon Kindle Unlimited account.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Free if you have Amazon Kindle Unlimited account.

I'm already reading it. Dear friends, please pray for me.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Getsuya posted:

I think Garth Nix has come up in this thread, but I’m not sure. I read a bunch of random MG stuff to help me write for that market, and I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read except his stuff. The name of the series was Keeper of the Keys or Keys to the Kingdom or something. It was a textbook case of passive MC who basically just got shunted from setpiece to setpiece so Nix could show off the (admittedly fairly interesting) world he had built.

I think it was 3 or so books in before MC did something because he wanted to rather than being ordered/forced to, and even then it was more he was giving in and just going along with things than actually being driven by an inner desire to achieve a goal.

Are all his books like that?

Keys to the Kingdom is meant for a considerably younger audience than his other books. The Abhorsen trilogy (there isn't a fourth book, nope) is excellent, among the best YA fantasy around. KTTK is in whatever category is pre-YA but not children's. 9-12 is what it's classed as in bookstores here in the UK I think. I enjoyed it, starting when I was early teens and continuing to keep up with the series as they were published, but that took a really long time and I was in my early 20s by the time the last one finally came out. They're kids books.

iirc Arthur's whole thing is that he doesn't want to be doing it, didn't ask to do it, and wants to go home? It takes him ages to care about the few friends he makes and most of those are in the real world anyway

The Abhorsen trilogy are really good. I remember liking Shade's Children a lot too.

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Dec 23, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This book is hilarious, just imagine this scene.

quote:

A man sits alone, quietly watching the film in the back of a darkened theater. He stirs in his seat and comments to himself, "It's about time." John Gode rises slowly from his seat and continues viewing as he backs up, slowly making his way out of the theater and into the lobby.

Also the movie he's walking backwards down the aisle watching? It is previously mentioned that the credits are rolling so there's isn't actually anything to continue to watch/

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
This is something that deserves, like, a Garry's Mod reading a la Half Life: True Life Consequences. It's going to be at least that bad. How thick is it?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
This whole book is just poo poo a 13 year old boy would think is awesome. The main character is a Native American who is also a Marine and he can talk to wolves and a wolf kisses him on the forehead, twice. This is all the first chapter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also he finds a dead body with all its teeth knocked out and thinks to himself about how he'll need to run the dental records.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
also Joe Arpaio writes like a third grader doing a book report but that's really a minor sin compared to the rest of this book. The entire prologue is like 12 paragraphs, all of which are questions that start "What if... ?" The last paragraph is something like "what if this book was dedicated to the Constitution and the Republic?" I can 100% believe Steven Seagal wrote it his own drat self.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thinking about it, the whole thing feels like a book version of the "Decker" TV series from Tim Heidecker.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also he finds a dead body with all its teeth knocked out and thinks to himself about how he'll need to run the dental records.

Should be a pretty distinctive feature.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

girl pants posted:

also Joe Arpaio writes like a third grader doing a book report but that's really a minor sin compared to the rest of this book. The entire prologue is like 12 paragraphs, all of which are questions that start "What if... ?" The last paragraph is something like "what if this book was dedicated to the Constitution and the Republic?" I can 100% believe Steven Seagal wrote it his own drat self.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My previous Eddings comments made me decide to go finish the Elenium/Tamuli (again), which is not quite the paint-by-numbers Hero's Journey that the Belgariad is, but has the obvious aforementioned middle-aged dude marrying the 18-year-old girl, with plenty of commentary about how she had fallen in love with him at age six and vice versa. I had forgotten about Kalten/Alean in the Tamuli though - Kalten being the same ~40 and Alean being described as a "young doe-eyed maid" and "the girl" several times because Dave has a problem with that word I'll remember as soon as I hit Submit where he describes people incessantly instead of using their names. Talen/Danae is somewhat less suspicious because he's 15 and not 40, but she's still six and a prime example of the 9000-year-old-goddess-that-looks-like-a-child approach, much as she's generally less objectionable than a lot of his other female characters. I don't think a single one of the main characters pairs off with someone even remotely near their own age, unless you count Sephrenia/Vanion, which was telegraphed so hard in the Elenium that I'm surprised it didn't say STOP at the end.

The appalling need to pair everyone off by the end, complete with obligatory goddess/immmortal yenta whose sole purpose in life is to make sure everyone is in love, gets really tedious when you're not fourteen and excited about all these characters getting to bone.

also to add to the list of things Dave is not good at, archaic idioms:

It shows back up later as "An' it please thee" which is still wrong and goddammit Dave, your editing is usually on point.

e: bigliness

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Dec 23, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, this book literally ends a chapter with the main character saying that "All lives matter."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yo, this book literally ends a chapter with the main character saying that "All lives matter."

So you're collecting ideas for your Let's Read, right? :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is impossible to do a Let's Read of this book because the entire thing is so bizarre and poorly written that it would just be the entire novel verbatim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

girl pants posted:

This whole book is just poo poo a 13 year old boy would think is awesome. The main character is a Native American who is also a Marine and he can talk to wolves and a wolf kisses him on the forehead, twice. This is all the first chapter.

Man if only one native american fetishizing white guy martial artist got to live longer than he had any right to, I really would have preferred it be the Billy Jack guy