Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If it's not in the film it's not in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

If it's not in the film it's not in the film.

This was not my point.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

UmOK tries to be clever. :lol:

Fortunately the Emperor was developed better.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I saw the new star wars and I didn't like it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Freakazoid_ posted:

You're wrong.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The laughable thing about the idea of killing Snoke being some big shocking twist is that we didn't even care about Snoke in the first place, because he was so boring. If Snoke had actually been built up as an effective villain with a convincing claim to usurping the Emperor as an icon of evil, then his death would have come across as a real bold statement, rather than what it actually was: Johnson simply eliminating the dead weight--since there was nothing that could even be done with him--and replacing him with the villain people actually remotely care about. Again, some real iconoclastic stuff there. Star Wars will never be the same again. Not without Snoke.

Heck, killing off Maul in Episode I was a more daring decision. Cut in half just like Snoke, except with him it was actually necessary because Lucas knew people would want him to come back in the next one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Instant Sunrise posted:

i can't believe they dropped a moon on chewbacca

there's one more to go where we might get the dream

kylo and rey were so close to a jacon and jaina darkside teamup going into ep9

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I liked it very much and plan on seeing it again soon

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

The laughable thing about the idea of killing Snoke being some big shocking twist is that we didn't even care about Snoke in the first place, because he was so boring. If Snoke had actually been built up as an effective villain with a convincing claim to usurping the Emperor as an icon of evil, then his death would have come across as a real bold statement, rather than what it actually was: Johnson simply eliminating the dead weight--since there was nothing that could even be done with him--and replacing him with the villain people actually remotely care about. Again, some real iconoclastic stuff there. Star Wars will never be the same again. Not without Snoke.

I think this partly fuels my resentment towards TFA. It's a movie that's so thoroughly poo poo that this movie had to sacrifice time and effort to clean up the mess it made. Yeah it made sense to kill Snoke, but I also kinda would have liked them to actually do something interesting with him, instead of just using him to make ESB v2.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cnut the Great posted:

Heck, killing off Maul in Episode I was a more daring decision. Cut in half just like Snoke, except with him it was actually necessary because Lucas knew people would want him to come back in the next one.

You're right that it's not a Big Shocking Twist, but who said it was?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

G-III posted:

Did the galaxy forget why droids exist in the first place? In ANH we literally see c3po and r2d2 get sold to farmers as slaves.

Maybe droid emancipation is finally at hand, young fleshling.

Apparently it's easier to buy a person than it is a droid in this universe. I do wish that they had addressed the issue of Rey's parentage a little differently than they did, simply because Rey would probably be much less enamored with the Jedi if she knew her background AND Luke told her that they propped up a system of slavery. The loving downfall of the Jedi basically begins with "well I can't afford to buy both the boy AND his mother."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

quote:

I brought my small notepad and a pen and I got your answer.

The short version is, it all adds up but that whole transport getaway part was poorly done (from a script, editing, directing, whatever perspective) in a similar way to the escape pods scene at the end of Life (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5442430/?ref_=nv_sr_2)

Here is the long version:

Before starting, here is a link to the character list so you can follow my explanation: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

So, you actually get the "exact" number towards the end, when Finn and Rose(the asian woman) are brought in front of General Hux & Captain Phasma (stainless head), after getting caught. An officer comes in and tells Hux that after using the infos from the Code Breaker (Del Toro), they ran a de-cloaking scan and they found 30 transport ships.

At first I thought I misheard or that he mispronounced but then the shooting fest started and it soon became obvious it was 30, not 13.

The confusion (and the botched part) comes from the fact that, from my calculations and observations, we never see more than 12 ships together at any given time. We never see anything close to 30!

Now, I only counted those we see explode during in-space shots and those shown on the circular screen that Rey looks at during her meeting with Supreme Leader Snoke.

So, I counted 16 explosions(ships destroyed) before Admiral Holdo (Laura Dern) decided to ram Snoke's ship. While she turns the ship around and before the bad guys realize what she is up to, they destroy 2 more. So, the total number of transports that we witness being destroyed is 18.

Right after Holdo rammed Snoke's ship, we see Leia in her ship and the camera gets away to get a group shot and we see 6 surviving ships.

18 + 6 = 24, so that means there are 6 ships that we don't see being destroyed but don't make it.

Now, the problem with those numbers is when we see the transports being shot, the New Order seems to hit every time and we see an explosion every 2-3 seconds. So 18 ships went down with a 2-3 seconds interval between each of them. Now, if only 6 others are brought down during that whole part, it means those were shot down at an interval of nearly 1 minute between each, counting every thing else we see during that time.

Those 2 different paces are probably another reason it gets confusing. The first one would have a tally higher than 30 ships while the other would probably have a lower one. Even if we did an average, going with what is shown, it just doesn't make sense.

I hope it answered your question.

P.S. Note that I might have missed a few explosions but I'm sure on the 30 and 6 (survivors shown).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cnut the Great posted:

Ben said it best: "It's time to let old things die."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

I'd be a lot more impressed by that if this movie didn't chain itself to the OT like TFA did.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

I wouldn't call it a big shocking twist, but it was surprising. I expected them to carry on attempting to make us care about Snoke, and that he would just be a big cinderblock tied around their ankles. Instead, they killed him off and removed what was probably the worst part of these new movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm going to watch The Last Jedi again later today. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the throne room brawl. Love the bit when the camera focuses in on Rey grabbing her lightsaber with the force after Snoke is cut in half, and then she and Ben exchange looks before taking on the guards. So good.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 22, 2017

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
For those of you who saw “The Tick” on Amazon Prime, whenever they showed Snoke, all I could think of was The Terror. I half expected him to tell Ren “Don’t kill people just because they make you angry, Kylo. Kill people because it’s fun!”

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

teagone posted:

and then bring them back as force ghosts...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The real "twist" about Snoke, if there is one, is everything he does in this movie. From the start something's off about him. He's not another emperor, he's a two-bit emperor wannabe. The way he's always showing off his powers all over the place, from slamming Hux down to twirling Rey through the air to blasting force lightning during a tantrum, is so loving WEAK. Palpatine didn't flex like that because palpatine didn't need to.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why was Boba Feet even in this movie? They introduced him for like a minute in the last one and never explain who he is. And then they just kill him off in the first half of the new one. We don't even care about him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tender Bender posted:

The real "twist" about Snoke, if there is one, is everything he does in this movie. From the start something's off about him. He's not another emperor, he's a two-bit emperor wannabe. The way he's always showing off his powers all over the place, from slamming Hux down to twirling Rey through the air to blasting force lightning during a tantrum, is so loving WEAK. Palpatine didn't flex like that because palpatine didn't need to.

(I agree tho)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

UmOk posted:

Why was Boba Feet even in this movie? They introduced him for like a minute in the last one and never explain who he is. And then they just kill him off in the first half of the new one. We don't even care about him.

Good question, I could never understand why nerds cared about him so loving much. Watching ESB on my own when I was a kid, I barely noticed him beyond being A Bad Dude.

Serf
May 5, 2011

PT6A posted:

Good question, I could never understand why nerds cared about him so loving much. Watching ESB on my own when I was a kid, I barely noticed him beyond being A Bad Dude.

It's because he looks rad.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

PT6A posted:

Phasma gets literally dumped in the trash in TFA and sent to hell in TLJ and she is dope as all hell imo

Same principle I'd think. I never "got" Boba Fett either, but the Mandalorian aesthetic never really appealed to me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

He was a cool toy in 1981.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Phasma gets literally dumped in the trash in TFA and sent to hell in TLJ and she is dope as all hell imo

Same principle I'd think. I never "got" Boba Fett either, but the Mandalorian aesthetic never really appealed to me

My dad got me into Star Wars and I read a lot of comics and novels about the universe in the 90s and I remember mentioning how cool Boba Fett was to him once and he was like "really? why?" and it made me realize that all the cool stuff about Boba Fett is in the comics and novels. In the movies he just looks cool and has a neat voice, is bad at his job and dies in a hilarious mishap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

great avatar/comment combo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

It's true, Episode 6 would have been better if Mothra had been in it.

Only if Mon Mothra had her twin Mothra fairies to sing her leitmotif.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Battering ram cannon

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Disco Godfather posted:

Battering ram cannon

Ok

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

It's based on Death Star tech.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Porg

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

edit: NEVERMIND.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 22, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The full list of actions that Boba Fett took in the original trilogy that had an effect on the plot:
  • made a phonecall
  • fedexed the hansicle to jabba
  • fell in a sand butthole and died

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Serf posted:

is bad at his job
bitch he tracked the Falcon

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched this movie and it was very good and I liked Laura Dern in it.

I can't believe Poe cheated on Finn with Laura Dern though.

The throne room stuff felt v kagemusha.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PT6A posted:

From what I've heard he was being set up by the executives to be the new villain for the post-ROTJ cartoons and films or whatever they had planned. Lucas was done with Star Wars at that point, though, so he had Fett just job and die uneventfully.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

“Why do people like a cool design” UmOK, A Literal Idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
This thread: "The new Star Wars are just good looking graphics, but they have no real substance and don't do much"

Also, this thread:

Vintersorg posted:

“Why do people like a cool design” UmOK, A Literal Idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
so did anybody else think the subplot of leia marrying some three eyed dude who was pretending to be palpatine's illegitimate three eyed son was a little weird?

especially since they had that stupid reveal where it wasn't actually leia but a robot clone of her with laser eyes.