Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the DMG these are the rules for conflicts with Sentient Magic Items

quote:

Conflict
A sentient item has a will of its own, shaped by its personality and alignment. If its wielder acts in a manner opposed to the item’s alignment or purpose, conflict can arise. When such a conflict occurs, the item makes a Charisma check contested by the wielder’s Charisma check. If the item wins the contest, it makes one or more of the following demands:

The item insists on being carried or worn at all times.
The item demands that its wielder dispose of anything the item finds repugnant.
The item demands that its wielder pursue the item’s goals to the exclusion of all other goals.
The item demands to be given to someone else.
If its wielder refuses to comply with the item’s wishes, the item can do any or all of the following:

Make it impossible for its wielder to attune to it.
Suppress one or more of its activated properties.
Attempt to take control of its wielder.
If a sentient item attempts to take control of its wielder, the wielder must make a Charisma saving throw, with a DC equal to 12 + the item’s Charisma modifier. On a failed save, the wielder is charmed by the item for 1d12 hours. While charmed, the wielder must try to follow the item’s commands. If the wielder takes damage, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. Whether the attempt to control its user succeeds or fails, the item can’t use this power again until the next dawn.

Because Hoard of the Dragon Queen came out so early in 5e's lifecycle there are quite a few errors in there namely referencing earlier versions of the game. I don't know if Harizawn is one of them, but it does not have it's metal stats listed like other sentient magic items so if you want to use these rules you should make up a Charisma score for Harizawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Terratina posted:

Re: Long Rest. I get the wearing down resources part but boy does it suck that Paladin hardly gets anything besides hit die on short rests.

You get channel divinity back, which is probably really good for you. The problem is paladins have basically no decision making on their actions, at least at low levels. You hit the thing and if it lands you smite. Casting spells probably isn't worth the opportunity cost in most situations.

It would be cool if you had 2 or 3 different basics attacks you could choose from that had different bonus effects, like a defensive strike that gives you +1 AC for your next turn or a blinding strike that gave your opponent disadvantage on their next attack or a radiant strike that did less damage but was radiant rather than physical. Just something so battles are more interesting than walking up to and hitting a thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

There legit is a Discworld GURPS. I must confess that I own a copy. I was young and didn't know any better.

My brother in law owns every GURPS book he can get his hands on, including this one. It's his favorite system to run. I no longer play with him. He's a stodgy old AD&D purist too and I can't believe I ever tolerated playing with him. GURPS sucks is what I'm saying.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Sage Genesis posted:

There legit is a Discworld GURPS. I must confess that I own a copy. I was young and didn't know any better.

The idea of using GURPS, an utterly loving joyless simulation system, to play a comedy setting is... Wow.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

CJ posted:

It would be cool if you had 2 or 3 different basics attacks you could choose from that had different bonus effects, like a defensive strike that gives you +1 AC for your next turn or a blinding strike that gave your opponent disadvantage on their next attack or a radiant strike that did less damage but was radiant rather than physical. Just something so battles are more interesting than walking up to and hitting a thing.

Is this one of those "wouldn't it own if D&D had [feature that was in 4e that 5e thew out]" schticks?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Sage Genesis posted:

Man, that seems very worthy of a F&F writeup

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Caphi posted:

Is this one of those "wouldn't it own if D&D had [feature that was in 4e that 5e thew out]" schticks?

Yeah

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/943884570557947904

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

that's funny, but I can't remember whether or not we're allowed to like Jeremy Crawford

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

It was good, just making sure because I can't tell if it's ironic or not sometimes.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

NeurosisHead posted:

that's funny, but I can't remember whether or not we're allowed to like Jeremy Crawford

My WotC rankings have him miles above Mearls but below Chris Perkins. He gives sometimes useful rules clarifications on Twitter and Sage Advice but he's the one who wrote the hosed up rules so...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kaysette posted:

My WotC rankings have him miles above Mearls but below Chris Perkins. He gives sometimes useful rules clarifications on Twitter and Sage Advice but he's the one who wrote the hosed up rules so...

He will also double down on bad rules.

OTOH I'm unaware of him defending and promoting serial harassers and it's nice to have a queer voice in the room for a core design team.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sage Genesis posted:

??? It's free though? I had a wizard in the hoodwinkers. You could puff on a pipe and use your smoke and mirrors to trap other players in a text adventure that you designed but I was too intimidated to write anything longer than "hello world"

oh hell I got confused by acronyms. I mean there's a discworld Multi User Dungeon where you can play nethack style and grind xp off of old ladies in the street and corporal carrot will insta-gib you when he sees you.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Caphi posted:

If it is i didn't realise, i've only started playing in September and i've only read the 5e books. If 4e had something like that i think it was a mistake to remove it, because although my Paladin is powerful it's completely mindless and combat gets pretty tedious since i very rarely have to make any decisions at all. Yesterday i got to cast a spell for the first time though. We were fighting these giant bug things that we had to roll a charisma save against each round or lose our turn, and they burrowed underground for a turn so i couldn't hit them so used my action to cast bless. It was pretty good in that scenario, but if they hadn't been burrowed i'm not sure if i would have done so because i'd have to give up a potential 4d6 + 6d8 + 8 damage against them.

The session i played yesterday was pretty fun though. We got trapped in an abandoned dwarven facility that was used for teambuilding exercises. The DM likes doing voices so we were guided by a magically recorded voice of some annoying positive dwarf who kept talking about team synergy and stuff. The first puzzle had us split up to do 3 simultaneous tasks so we could discover our individual strengths and weaknesses. Next we had to split up into two teams and play laser tag with magic wands, which devolved into us using our class abilities to try and win. It ended up in a race to shoot the light on the other team's base, i got it 1 HP after declaring it my mortal enemy with vow of enmity, then my teammate managed to roll 3 natural 1s on his turn. After that we were stuck in a room full of junk and had to find the clues to figure out which order to push the coloured buttons on the door. Finally we had to fight our biggest enemies, ourselves. We were in an arena against a party who were indistinguishable from ourselves and the lights kept going out and we'd be randomly swapped with our clone. It was a complete clusterfuck, with our fighter deciding he would try stabbing himself for some reason (low int i guess), someone knocking his clone prone then getting switched with it and getting attacked with advantage by everyone nearby, and me attacking the wrong bard, knocking him unconscious then next turn he rolled a 1 on his death saving throw and died (he's usually a DM and just made the character for that session so it was just funny). At the end we found the facility was taken over by some giant psychic bug monsters who were using it to lure people down there to eat them.

It was the most enjoyable session i've played so far, because there was a lot of puzzles, and all the fights had fun gimmicks so i wasn't stuck in hour+ combat encounters where i just rolled a weapon attack then waited for my next turn.

CJ fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
You don't HAVE to smite every turn, and you may regret it if you don't hold on to at least a few slots for the BBG. Bless is almost always a good idea, it's a cheap, super effective spell that synergizes with both your actions and character class flavor. You should be casting it once per combat if you can.

Sanctuary is great for getting a squishy friend out of harm's way. You can always jump in the middle of combat when you're fighting a mob of something not so smart, cast sanctuary on yourself, then keep dodging to be high AC tank that every creature must roll for twice before hitting.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You don't HAVE to smite every turn, and you may regret it if you don't hold on to at least a few slots for the BBG. Bless is almost always a good idea, it's a cheap, super effective spell that synergizes with both your actions and character class flavor. You should be casting it once per combat if you can.

Sanctuary is great for getting a squishy friend out of harm's way. You can always jump in the middle of combat when you're fighting a mob of something not so smart, cast sanctuary on yourself, then keep dodging to be high AC tank that every creature must roll for twice before hitting.

I don't smite on every attack. i have 6 spell slots and usually pace myself quite well since i know the session will be 4 hours and is likely to have a climactic battle near the end. I just don't think the spells are usually worth the spell slot, with the exception of Bless yesterday. I think as i get more spell slots Bless may be worth it against hard enemies, and now i have the saving throw aura so i won't lose concentration easily. Most fights only last a round or 2 with a party of 6 though, so spending an action just casting a buff seems pointless.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I had the highlight of my DM career this past weekend when my party realized they were fighting a doppelganger. A player yanked it down off a ladder and grappled it as it landed on him, and the excitement in the player's voice when he said "And now there's two of me rolling around, right?" just gave me the best feeling. Anybody else have fun success stories?

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Re: Paladins. I mainly use spell slots for Find Steed, heals and smites (in that priority order). Find Steed is there for another body and because our battlefields have been rather open in the current chapter and piss poor heals because the NPC bard is busy being a dinosaur instead of throwing out Healing Word and the ranger is busy doing to do cool poo poo but rolling nat 1s. We're in a huge siege battle with orcs atm and waiting for the calvary as we're running out of resouces fast due to a party of mostly newbs. Ugh, why is 5e healing so bad?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lori posted:

I had the highlight of my DM career this past weekend when my party realized they were fighting a doppelganger. A player yanked it down off a ladder and grappled it as it landed on him, and the excitement in the player's voice when he said "And now there's two of me rolling around, right?" just gave me the best feeling. Anybody else have fun success stories?

Our barbarian got into a cart-catching contest with the huge bouncer at the pub. We were refused entry because a) we're all obviously heavily armed and b) my pally is wanted for sedition in two adjacent duchies.

Our barb got the shits and threw a small vendor cart down the street, and said "Now what, dickhead?" The bouncer responded by grabbing another, bigger cart, throwing it further down the street and saying "gently caress off or you'll be next".

Things... escalated. Big stuff was thrown trying to get the best distance. The barb tried cheating by heaving an oxcart at the bouncer, the bouncer caught it, and it kinda progressed in that way until finally the barb missed his catch and got flattened.

Long story short, the bouncer won but now we're friends. Turns out he's also the organiser of the muscle for the local revolutionary cell and the reason he didn't want me anywhere near him was he thought I'd be too obvious. I will eventually be very obvious about it indeed, but I've agreed to wait until they get their poo poo together.

e: I can't for the life of me remember how the throwing/catching worked, mechanically. I know it wasn't RAW, but I wasn't paying close attention because I was trying to keep horrified bystanders from calling the guards.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lori posted:

Final session of the year. The players have initiated a fight with Frosty the Lichlord, to defeat him and rescue Santa. The Rogue picks up on the fruitcake sitting on the table in front of Frosty and abscondes with it in his mouth like a dog. He was a Yuan-Ti so I let him unhinge his jaw and eat it over two rounds.

After he swallowed the second half, his stomach rumbles. With a mighty HoHoHo, thirteen reindeer, a sleigh and Santa himself come roaring out of the Rogue's mouth, free of his prison. He grants them divine power to be able to damage Frosty, they proceed to murder the lich, and save Christmas.

I guess the real success is that I tricked them with a mcguffin after the rest of the party assumed Frosty's silken top hat was the source of his power.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Terratina posted:

Re: Paladins. I mainly use spell slots for Find Steed, heals and smites (in that priority order). Find Steed is there for another body and because our battlefields have been rather open in the current chapter and piss poor heals because the NPC bard is busy being a dinosaur instead of throwing out Healing Word and the ranger is busy doing to do cool poo poo but rolling nat 1s. We're in a huge siege battle with orcs atm and waiting for the calvary as we're running out of resouces fast due to a party of mostly newbs. Ugh, why is 5e healing so bad?

5E healing is basically "person in melee goes down, receives healing word, stands up" and you just repeat that forever. I've kind of given up on the idea of healing in combat as a thing, and just focus on trying to prevent people from getting hit at all.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Hm, yeah. Just seems to be a game of which runs out first: spell slots or enemy HP. The up and down dance doesn't seem to do much.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Terratina posted:

Good god don't use paladin spell slots on healing! In an emergency, remember all you need is 1 hp worth of Lay on Hands to bring a PC back up.

In more general Paladin spell advice, Bless, Shield of Faith (bonus action!) and Protection from Good and Evil are all worth using.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Use spell slots for healing if that's what your character would do. If I'm playing a paladin, then I'm healing anyone that's hurt, even NPC's. I also save my smites for dramatic moments, or a good one liner.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Open Marriage Night posted:

Use spell slots for healing if that's what your character would do. If I'm playing a paladin, then I'm healing anyone that's hurt, even NPC's. I also save my smites for dramatic moments, or a good one liner.
It would be super cool if the game didn't force you to choose between flavour and function.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'd arguably be breaking the tenets of my oath of vengeance if I wasted a Smite slot on something other than smiting foes, especially if I could still save a life without doing that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Had two dumb questions, and my Google Fu is failing me.

1. Is there a list of "official" sentient weapons for 5e?

2. I'm looking at getting into the Adventurer's League. If I'm reading it right, when making and advancing your character, you use the PHB/DMG, and then the option of one other rulebook (your +1)
So, if I use Xanathar's Guide to Everything to make a Warlock, I'm locked out of learning Greenflame Blade because that's in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Is that accurate? Or am I missing something?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Didn't the SCAG cantrips make it into XGE as a concession to that rule?

I'm currently 500 miles from my D&D books.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Razorwired posted:

Not unless there's some kind of fuckery where Green Flame Blade is "in the book" without being in the spell list that's in the book.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 22, 2017

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Razorwired posted:

I'm currently 500 miles from my D&D books.

No idea, I'm 2 weeks and 640 miles from my own books, plus I don't own XGE yet.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

AlphaDog posted:

Not unless there's some kind of fuckery where Green Flame Blade is "in the book" without being in the spell list that's in the book.

It’s not. They kept GFB, booming blade, and bladesinger SCAG-only.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Noxin of Shame posted:

My character has drawn the lore bard in our campaign equivalent of Secret Santa (basically something to do to fill in the holiday season interim before our next session). We've been told that if it's a reasonable gift (which I read as not being powerful or game-breaking), our characters can keep it.

Does anyone have suggestions or homebrewed/non-XGtE mundane items that they like?

A wand that only does that one Thaumaturgy effect which makes your voice 3x louder, effectively a magic mic.

I'd count replicating 1/4 of a cantrips as mundane :colbert: Bonus if it also includes dancing lights to mimic spotlights or disco strobes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Noxin of Shame posted:

My character has drawn the lore bard in our campaign equivalent of Secret Santa (basically something to do to fill in the holiday season interim before our next session). We've been told that if it's a reasonable gift (which I read as not being powerful or game-breaking), our characters can keep it.

Does anyone have suggestions or homebrewed/non-XGtE mundane items that they like?

Wand of Confetti. When used, shoots a stream of confetti and makes a loud party maker noise in the square in front of you. The more charges you use the brighter and thicker the confetti stream and the louder the noise. 10 charges, replenishes 1d6 charges at midnight.

If wand is depleted, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand disappears with the sound of The Price is Right losing horns. On a 20, the old rod disappears and a new one, fully charged, appears in your hand as the voice of Rod Roddy yells out "IT'S A NEW ROD!"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Razorwired posted:

It's already been pointed out that this is wrong, but I think it's important to keep in mind that they were left out almost certainly because of that rule, not in spite of it. The illusion of choice is way more important than an actual choice, so putting everything people might realistically want to use in one book kind of ruins the illusion even harder than the rule itself already should do.

It's also pretty clearly how WotC manage to get away with shamelessly reprinting the same stuff over and over again and calling it "new" content.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That's kind of a damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don't situation. If they ported over all of the mechanical stuff (or at least all the good stuff) from SCAG people would have complained about making a book they own obsolete.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

the_steve posted:

2. I'm looking at getting into the Adventurer's League. If I'm reading it right, when making and advancing your character, you use the PHB/DMG, and then the option of one other rulebook (your +1)
So, if I use Xanathar's Guide to Everything to make a Warlock, I'm locked out of learning Greenflame Blade because that's in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Is that accurate? Or am I missing something?

This seems like a really good idea because it reduces power bloat to whatever ridiculous thing you just published. It also eliminates the need for current writers to have memorized every book every written.

How long have they had this rule (i.e. Did it exist in earlier editions)? I'm visualizing MaRo sitting in on a meeting and saying, "Hey, we solved this problem 20 years ago guys. It's called 'Standard'".

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

This seems like a really good idea because it reduces power bloat to whatever ridiculous thing you just published. It also eliminates the need for current writers to have memorized every book every written.

How long have they had this rule (i.e. Did it exist in earlier editions)? I'm visualizing MaRo sitting in on a meeting and saying, "Hey, we solved this problem 20 years ago guys. It's called 'Standard'".

Or what if, and I'm willing to admit that this might be a little crazy here, but stick with me...what if the writers were just good at their jobs instead?

I, personally, as a DM, am expected to memorize hundreds of pages of their rules. I'm apparently supposed to know the exact number of feet a guy can jump, or what each specific level of exhaustion does, or how many gold pieces your character's lifestyle costs them each day, or that after three days (and no less!) of serious bed rest you can try at a DC 15 Con save, and if you succeed you can either gain advantage on saves against poison and disease, but only for one day and only against stuff already affecting you; or you can end one effect that prevents you from healing. (I put the previous bit in spoiler tags because I'd be genuinely interested to find out how many people had any idea that anything like that existed.)

And I'm not even getting paid to keep up with this poo poo!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I... honestly remember nothing about Living Greyhawk. Living Forgotten Realms, though, let you use whatever the hell books you wanted but Wizards themselves errata'd the most broken stuff like Feycharger IIRC.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

OutsideAngel posted:

after three days (and no less!) of serious bed rest you can try at a DC 15 Con save, and if you succeed you can either gain advantage on saves against poison and disease, but only for one day and only against stuff already affecting you; or you can end one effect that prevents you from healing.

Heh, I don't think I've ever read the recuperating rules before. Definitely didn't remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

It did not exist in earlier editions. Anything was fair game in 4e, and the organized play scene was not yet developed enough in 3e to have considered it (as far as I know).

Even Paizo allows most (but not exactly all) of their material in their organized play events.

This one book rule is kind of a pandering reaction to the idea that there was too much splatbook bloat in earlier editions, much like how a slow and sparse book release schedule was spin-doctored into being a good thing.