Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
think of it as a tax rebate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Photex posted:

Guys it's only the fifth 30% adjustment relax.

now is the time to buy before it hits 50k in january

but unironically

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

poverty goat posted:

but unironically

i was going to say before the edit...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

:bisonyes: actually exists!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/944219749134635008

"Unprecedented"! This has never happened to bitcoin before!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Clever of you to use your private key as your username but I’ve stolen your buttcoins now

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I hope Bitcoin ends with a negative value

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

No! I quit my job... oh no... I have to make some calls...

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
ITS GOING BACK UP NOW!! BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!!111

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

poverty goat posted:

but unironically

Matthew McConaughey speech about stocks from Wolf of Wall Street but it's about Bitcoin instead

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Alpha Mayo posted:

I hope Bitcoin ends with a negative value

Well it uses an obscene amount of power and has no actual usefulness so yeah it already has negative value

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So this plunge was a reaction to Trump's tax bill marking cryptocurrency activity as taxable events/income right?

I think it's very, very plausible here.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also :stare: https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

293,756(and counting!) unconfirmed transactions and apparently the average fee is 40 dollars per transaction?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

In further news coinbase is still holding much of my money hostage in its fiat interrogation room, this is both good and normal and coinbase is a good site for the canny investor.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

EorayMel posted:

293,756(and counting!) unconfirmed transactions and apparently the average fee is 40 dollars per transaction?
I don't know about average, but that's the fee you've gotta pay if you want to see your transaction go through in any reasonable amount of time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So apparently the futures markets hit their price limit and shut down almost first thing this morning. I could see the price trickling back up all weekend before the shorts open up again on Tuesday.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Moxxis Endowment posted:

I don't know about average, but that's the fee you've gotta pay if you want to see your transaction go through in any reasonable amount of time.

Right, better way of saying it is "40 dollars is the average transaction fee if you want your transaction to clear faster"

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Bubbles don't actually need reasons to burst, they just do sometimes when the investor mix gets toxic. Hyman Minsky has some good books on this topic, under his Financial Instability Hypothesis. That classic panic chart comes from Charles Kindelberger, a colleague and admirer of Minsky's work. Basically, at first there are just true believers, then the "institutional" or hedge investors come along looking for something that could provide good value or even modest growth, then come the speculators, and finally the Ponzis.

A healthy financial market or asset is a mix of investor types dominated by Hedge investors, those who are not over leveraged and have enough return to cover interest and principal if they do borrow, and enough cash to be patient with price movements. Speculative investors leverage to buy into the asset and their return is enough to cover interest, but not principal, and they are counting on price increases so they can sell to the next sucker and get out. Ponzi investors are so leveraged they can't pay interest or principal, and they desperately need the price to go up uP UP or they go bust. Obviously, Ponzi investors go belly up if there is any price setback at all, and price setbacks can occur for any number of reasons or no reason at all beyond people "feeling" that the asset isn't worth the price anymore and refusing to buy at the offered price.

When your market or asset has mostly Hedge investors, a price setback is no big problem, and there won't be a major selloff or major debt defaulting, because those investors are still able to cover whatever leverage they have, if any. If the asset is mostly Speculators there will be more pain in a price setback, but those investors can at least cover interest on leverage, and hedge investor presence of sufficient size can help stop the bleeding once it reaches bargain prices. When your asset is mostly Ponzi, however, the price setback triggers a panic, because Ponzi investors are leveraged to the hilt and can't pay any of their leverage. Ponzi investors sell off and default on their debts, which starts cascading through the system. Hedge investors and institutional lenders who provided the leverage to Ponzi and Speculative investors get crushed by defaults and they too start selling off to cover their asses.

That's it in a nutshell. The most inevitable process in financial capitalism.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Bubbles don't actually need reasons to burst, they just do sometimes when the investor mix gets toxic. Hyman Minsky has some good books on this topic, under his Financial Instability Hypothesis. That classic panic chart comes from Charles Kindelberger, a colleague and admirer of Minsky's work. Basically, at first there are just true believers, then the "institutional" or hedge investors come along looking for something that could provide good value or even modest growth, then come the speculators, and finally the Ponzis.

A healthy financial market or asset is a mix of investor types dominated by Hedge investors, those who are not over leveraged and have enough return to cover interest and principal if they do borrow, and enough cash to be patient with price movements. Speculative investors leverage to buy into the asset and their return is enough to cover interest, but not principal, and they are counting on price increases so they can sell to the next sucker and get out. Ponzi investors are so leveraged they can't pay interest or principal, and they desperately need the price to go up uP UP or they go bust. Obviously, Ponzi investors go belly up if there is any price setback at all, and price setbacks can occur for any number of reasons or no reason at all beyond people "feeling" that the asset isn't worth the price anymore and refusing to buy at the offered price.

When your market or asset has mostly Hedge investors, a price setback is no big problem, and there won't be a major selloff or major debt defaulting, because those investors are still able to cover whatever leverage they have, if any. If the asset is mostly Speculators there will be more pain in a price setback, but those investors can at least cover interest on leverage, and hedge investor presence of sufficient size can help stop the bleeding once it reaches bargain prices. When your asset is mostly Ponzi, however, the price setback triggers a panic, because Ponzi investors are leveraged to the hilt and can't pay any of their leverage. Ponzi investors sell off and default on their debts, which starts cascading through the system. Hedge investors and institutional lenders who provided the leverage to Ponzi and Speculative investors get crushed by defaults and they too start selling off to cover their asses.

Great post, I'll check out the Minsky book.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

In further news coinbase is still holding much of my money hostage in its fiat interrogation room, this is both good and normal and coinbase is a good site for the canny investor.

After recent events they’re going to have to settle for a yacht and an island instead of a submarine and an undersea lair when they’re hacked and all of the money is gone.

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug
bitcoin cash more like bitcoin crash lmao

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

Great post, I'll check out the Minsky book.

We have a ton of great examples of Ponzi investors shared in this thread. Even small timers like the idiot who used his mortgage as leverage (a HELOC? A personal loan secured by his house?) to buy BTC. Now, he's belly up on his investment and if he sells off he can't pay back the loan, and probably doesn't have the cash to pay it off either because he just lost it all in a BTC fire. So, he's stuck paying off that debt in addition to his existing mortgage, and if he doesn't make enough money he's going to default on both. In this roundabout way, Wells Fargo or whoever else is gonna get hosed by a BTC related debt deflation, which is hilarious on a small scale, but loving horrifying if it happens on a large scale.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

We have a ton of great examples of Ponzi investors shared in this thread. Even small timers like the idiot who used his mortgage as leverage (a HELOC? A personal loan secured by his house?) to buy BTC. Now, he's belly up on his investment and if he sells off he can't pay back the loan, and probably doesn't have the cash to pay it off either because he just lost it all in a BTC fire. So, he's stuck paying off that debt in addition to his existing mortgage, and if he doesn't make enough money he's going to default on both. In this roundabout way, Wells Fargo or whoever else is gonna get hosed by a BTC related debt deflation, which is hilarious on a small scale, but loving horrifying if it happens on a large scale.

One of my favorite authors is William Poundstone, who doesn't write so much about finance as he does about quirks in various systems, and a lot of what you wrote sounds a lot like what he writes about the difference between active investors and passive investors.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://boards.4chan.org/biz/catalog

lol

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Is the bitcoin dead yet

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/944241477881823236

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/7lhksi/fuck_you_coinbase/drmcvua/

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
[quote="Sickening" post="479582531"]
https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/7lhksi/fuck_you_coinbase/drmcvua/

Sure buddy.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
But..but..the tether printer was running at full speed

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

One of my favorite authors is William Poundstone, who doesn't write so much about finance as he does about quirks in various systems, and a lot of what you wrote sounds a lot like what he writes about the difference between active investors and passive investors.

If you like Poundstone you'll like Minsky. He is one of the pioneers in defining "bullshit jobs." Basically, he considers anything non-productive like marketing, accounting, human resources, basically all middle and higher managment, and many technology jobs as existing purely because corporations generate too much money and don't want to pay it to productive labor, taxes, shareholders, or capital improvements they don't need. This creates an absurd situation where there are tons of workers chasing goods that only some of them are actually responsible for producing, leading to price increases and stagnant wages. Obviously, instead of having a billion ad wizards churning out TV spots of Mr. T selling FreezyPops or whatever, Minsky would prefer to spend corporate largesse on public goods or a welfare state, but that isn't the world we live in.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

down n out posted:

But..but..the tether printer was running at full speed

https://tether.to/legal/

quote:

GOVERNING LAW: These Terms of Service shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the British Virgin Islands, and shall be interpreted in all respects as a British Virgin Islands contract. The venue for any claim or action against or involving us shall be in the British Virgin Islands. The doctrine of forum non conveniens shall not apply in the selection of forum under these Terms of Service.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Lol at the Coinbase subreddit crowing about FDIC insurance. What a bunch of typical idiot libertarians. Keep the government out of my money! Wait my money was stolen? Where’s the government to prevent this?!?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I would like to sue you for stealing my bullshit poo poo that the government doesn’t acknowledge as currency or even property. I will see you in court sir!

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

As much as I hate to admit it, this could be interesting in setting a firmer legal status for cryptocurrencies, although this effectively removes their usefulness if they become regulated. A real double edged sword

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

I adore bitcoin for providing such a comprehensive high-speed recreation of the history of economic regulation. Researchers couldn't ask for a better experiment, and I bet entire schools of economics and psychology will be based on reviewing the blockchain and all kinds of random forum posts

Also loving lol at 40% a day after I spat out that number

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Happy Holidays everyone!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have to admit I felt a little sad about selling that three year old Bitcoin at $5400 but who knows, that might be higher than the price ends up by the end of the year.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's in freefall now. You think all the old retirees who got told by their idiot son-in-law to buy bitcoin at 15k are going to "HODL" as the idiot butters want them to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

/r bitcoin is the best Xmas present:

How is this poo poo legal. Every. Single. Thing. That has happened in the past 3 days can be explained with collusion.

Yes, some coincidences are fine. But all of them literally pointing to market manipulation?

Price plummets, exchange is open for all, let the price hit the floor!

Price goes up? Better cockblock the every day person (most people use coinbase, including me until today), while the big boys have reign to buy back.

Absolutely disgusting. I'm sure this isn't new for people who are used to day trading in stock markets, but holy gently caress my mind is blown.