Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Doors are fixed, you no longer need to use them, just walk through walls. :)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shame on this man for wearing his spacesuit while doing that.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tokamak posted:

I'd be worried if you are running at 3 fucks per second.

Have you not done the spaceman jitter?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So bitcoin is crashing and CIG is going to have a holiday stream.

It's a good day.

https://twitter.com/ow/status/94421...r%3D111%23pti26

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

beaverdog posted:

(for people without an account)

"Brings up highly inappropriate discussions about the CEO that should not be discussed in any setting".

Tisk tisk, Chris. Have we been neglecting to shave lately?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh man, I totally see it

You see, there aren't often causal relations where people suspect them. But the world has a lot of fractallic echoes. They repeat an overarching theme in organized wholes.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

"I have a brain tumor"

"Metaphorically"

Lol

Star Citizen is a game. Metaphorically.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Wait the tank pics I posted are fan generated from cig models, found on reddit so it's supposed to match the stuff in their sales but redditors don't seem to stoked on it https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7lcvwp/tumbril_nova_3d_model_thank_you_nastyheadwound/

They're the first closeups I saw though, and figured the tank dorks here would be able to figure out where they stole all the parts from to bash these abominations out

My bad, dude. I thought you had figured out where they Archered it from.

Please disregard my photshoppery

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Rad Russian posted:

Star Citizen is a metaphor for a computer game.

Star Citizen: The kind of misunderstanding that happens often on the Internet

gently caress me it was 2 posts under.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Something does occur to me with relation to Foundry 42 Ltd changing their year end from December to June. It was impossible for them to extend their year end, so they are preparing a set of accounts that cover six months instead of a year and file them early.

CIG LTD and RSI LTD are allowed to extend their year end. So they could actually do that, then file for a period of eighteen months of accounts while maintaining consistency with the year-ends in the group of companies. That would mean that they extend all their filing deadlines for these two companies (which always file late) and won't have to file accounts for a longer time. CIG LTD is the parent company, with the Coutts loan on the balance sheet by the way.

Maybe I'm being too cynical and they will shorten CIG and RSI by six months, like they are doing with F42 LTD. However if they lengthen their accounting period, that is very much a suspicious and inconsistent decision from a professional accounting point of view. (You can only do this once every five years, which is why F42 Ltd are not allowed to). Someone should call it happening.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

Do you not understand fraud development? Do you know how hard it is to record video of a game where the only reality of that game is photoshopped stuff? Yeah, they got to have animators go in and animate a ton of “gameplay”. Possibly even train employees to match the video with game pad movements too to make it look real.

They are so obviously and completely in full-on panic and desperation mode that honestly all I can do is laugh. It isn't even sad at this point because it's well past time for everyone there to pack it in, give it up and go and do something that's actually worthwhile.

All they've done this year is flap and flail around over a dead failed project in steadily increasing bursts of sheer panic and it's written over everything they put out.

They've spent upwards of $25k (in my estimation) on that IGN promo and then failed to deliver what they advertised. That's a huge fuckup, that's loose your job stuff in ANY industry.

There is no management of anything, no focus on delivering anything, no organisation, no planning, no dates and it's all clear as day and evident in everything they try to do - and it's getting worse!

Star Citizen is dead, and the efforts to keep the show going on are the cringiest, funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Answer the loving call indeed

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm calling it.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

shrach posted:

One of the strange things someone (presumably Chris) did with this company was actually putting in an additional £198,000 of their "own" money above par value for the shares (it's the share premium amount). There isn't really any good reason for it, the proportion speculation is a good guess. Perhaps they want to give shares to more employees and want to ensure it's diluted significantly. Normally you'd issue a different class of non-voting shares but, maybe someone (Ortwin) needed a reason to bill the companies for legal fees.

One of my first thoughts was that this might be a carrot to attract/retain talent given their abysmal recruiting record, but as you say, why dilute the ordinary shares instead of just creating a new class? Maybe they couldn't be bothered to amend their company articles to create a new class of share? They're based on model articles after all...

Alternatively, maybe the number of shares they were proposing to give to staff was so insignificant that control was a non-issue for Chris, Ortwin and Erin?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

shrach posted:

Something does occur to me with relation to Foundry 42 Ltd changing their year end from December to June. It was impossible for them to extend their year end, so they are preparing a set of accounts that cover six months instead of a year and file them early.

CIG LTD and RSI LTD are allowed to extend their year end. So they could actually do that, then file for a period of eighteen months of accounts while maintaining consistency with the year-ends in the group of companies. That would mean that they extend all their filing deadlines for these two companies (which always file late) and won't have to file accounts for a longer time. CIG LTD is the parent company, with the Coutts loan on the balance sheet by the way.

Maybe I'm being too cynical and they will shorten CIG and RSI by six months, like they are doing with F42 LTD. However if they lengthen their accounting period, that is very much a suspicious and inconsistent decision from a professional accounting point of view. (You can only do this once every five years, which is why F42 Ltd are not allowed to). Someone should call it happening.

Buy a tank and answer the call and it will all make sense

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Roberts is giving me everything I wanted for Christmas and more. Thank you, Chris.

I'll play with Beet later today, while completely hungover. There's probably no fate worse on earth than trying to play 3.0 after mixing liquors for 12 straight hours the day before, so I hope that makes up for my bad posting yesterday.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sabreseven posted:

Gotta love the citizens knack for only showing their friends the "good bits" and waiting until CIG have a chance to edit their vids, and stating as such that they are selling their friends a censored version of the projects reality.

Do they realise that by doing this they are lying to their friends? Would a normal person lie to their friends in order to have them fund something that is on shaky ground at the best of times? An actual friend would not ask such a thing and certainly would not censor what their friends see of the project. Citizens, you are not friends to yours, you are CIG's bitches/gimps/coin purses/shills. :lol:

People who have invested in a pyramid scam do this kind of thing, it's how the pyramid structure works, tell your friends, don't tell them the bad stuff though, offset yourself being scammed by scamming your friends. :shrug:

Edit: Do not read this post. Keep scrolling.

tl;dr in advance: I decided SC was bad and thought getting my friend's money out was more important than doubling down and lying to them.

I invested a not insubstantial amount of energy into Star Citizen in its earlier days. There seemed to be reasons for optimism and the occasional failure, but in terms of technical execution and conscious, felt as thought they could still be chalked up to growing pains born from unexpected success. I believe there's grounds to believe that might actually have still been true, at that time, as CIG suddenly found itself leaping beyond the ten million dollar stall.

When SC released Arena Commander to the general public it was pretty obvious that something was terribly wrong. But no problem, they can get it fixed by October. In October a fix did not arrive, but they did find the time to produce a giant luxury ship which they sold a picture of for $600 and a rushed abortion of the Cutlass. Pressuring CIG to talk to us about what exactly was going on and why the ship that some of my friends had spent over a hundred dollars on was clearly made with such a gross lack of care was responded to with nothing short of smirking indifference. This was back when CIG would respond at all, a policy they largely remedied.

So I decided to spend the next six months putting at much energy into pushing back against this change in the face of CIG as I had in supporting it. The original goal was to skyline to CIG that something was wrong in the hopes that they would toss a bone and we could get back to everything looking pretty good. CIG helped that transition fairly quickly into working to build an easily referenced record of CIG's active efforts against anything unrelated to the next concept sale and maintaining a narrative that stressed the next patch, the next release and a suppression of examination of the past or present.

I'm glad that I was able to get my own money and the money of my friend's out. It felt important to invest as much energy towards ensuring that their trust was rewarded with the quality they were promised as the energy invested in promoting what turned out to be a scam.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around the idea of filtering information that is already pre-filtered in order to present the sunniest image possible in order to secure every chance of your friends giving cash to feed your own personal fascination. I believe the backdrop for this whole sorry affair, a video game, places a juvenile mask over something that would be considered far more odious were it to concern, say, real estate or mutual funds. There's a point where you really should stop and demand accountability, if not for yourself certainly for the persons from whom you've solicited trust and hard cash.

tl;dr I scored an instant pot as a gift and made dry beans for the first time last night. They were good!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

Roberts is giving me everything I wanted for Christmas and more. Thank you, Chris.

I'll play with Beet later today, while completely hungover. There's probably no fate worse on earth than trying to play 3.0 after mixing liquors for 12 straight hours the day before, so I hope that makes up for my bad posting yesterday.

As the good liquor is depleted the bad mixing decision triple with every drink.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

If I can figure out why my login isn't working, that is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm still aghast that the best they could do after an entire year of stalling is pushing out an abortion patch that runs like poo poo is extremely buggy and they couldn't even get it to live but instead rush out to push it to the PTU to get more of an excuse for why its poo poo.

This thing has been in testing now for several months, the Evocati thought releasing it to the PTU was hasty, the PTUers thought making it available to everyone is too hasty and yet marketing never has an influence on their releases. They honestly thought they would get 2-3 big patches out this year, they failed to make a single one. They promised quarterly patches next year. They'll start the first quarter releasing a patch that was schedule to come out in may.

Get a refund moma. Also get a bitcoin refund while you are at it

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Beet Wagon posted:

If I can figure out why my login isn't working, that is.

make sure you are using the 3.0 Delta Patcher and not the old launcher.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Wait why the gently caress would you make your community manager stay overnight to handle technical issues?

What the hell? "gently caress this deploy is completely screwed. HEY! CINDY FROM MARKETING! Get your rear end in here, reinstall VMWare on all of these servers before you go home tonight. Okay, my work here is done."

He is a Hobo so the office is his home

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

You'll never get anywhere just calling one it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm calling all of it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Also all of the its that I am calling will probably happen but they also might not happen at all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

According to my sources anyway.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

As the good liquor is depleted the bad mixing decision triple with every drink.

Hot sauce is the answer to your woes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

big nipples big life posted:

Also all of the its that I am calling will probably happen but they also might not happen at all.

But can you guarantee that it either will or won't happen within the next two weeks?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

eXXon posted:

But can you guarantee that it either will or won't happen within the next two weeks?

absolutely, unless something happens to make it take longer than 2 weeks but as you can see i'm calling that right now.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

100% guaranteed something or nothing happening action

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Golli posted:

Hot sauce is the answer to your woes.

Beet when you were mainlining hotsauce was Kayak barking like mad or just watching with a poo poo eating grin on his face.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

100% guaranteed something or nothing happening action

you need to tweet it or it doesn't count!!

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Latin Pheonix posted:

One of my first thoughts was that this might be a carrot to attract/retain talent given their abysmal recruiting record, but as you say, why dilute the ordinary shares instead of just creating a new class? Maybe they couldn't be bothered to amend their company articles to create a new class of share? They're based on model articles after all...

Alternatively, maybe the number of shares they were proposing to give to staff was so insignificant that control was a non-issue for Chris, Ortwin and Erin?

You will still run into the issue where it is existing shareholders giving up their personal shares to someone. That's ok, but it isn't really a company matter so it's harder to think of a good reason for doing this. You'd expect any sort of company incentive scheme to involve the company by issuing new shares, possibly with some sort of guaranteed delayed buyback incentive.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Edit: Do not read this post. Keep scrolling.

tl;dr in advance: I decided SC was bad and thought getting my friend's money out was more important than doubling down and lying to them.

I invested a not insubstantial amount of energy into Star Citizen in its earlier days. There seemed to be reasons for optimism and the occasional failure, but in terms of technical execution and conscious, felt as thought they could still be chalked up to growing pains born from unexpected success. I believe there's grounds to believe that might actually have still been true, at that time, as CIG suddenly found itself leaping beyond the ten million dollar stall.

When SC released Arena Commander to the general public it was pretty obvious that something was terribly wrong. But no problem, they can get it fixed by October. In October a fix did not arrive, but they did find the time to produce a giant luxury ship which they sold a picture of for $600 and a rushed abortion of the Cutlass. Pressuring CIG to talk to us about what exactly was going on and why the ship that some of my friends had spent over a hundred dollars on was clearly made with such a gross lack of care was responded to with nothing short of smirking indifference. This was back when CIG would respond at all, a policy they largely remedied.

So I decided to spend the next six months putting at much energy into pushing back against this change in the face of CIG as I had in supporting it. The original goal was to skyline to CIG that something was wrong in the hopes that they would toss a bone and we could get back to everything looking pretty good. CIG helped that transition fairly quickly into working to build an easily referenced record of CIG's active efforts against anything unrelated to the next concept sale and maintaining a narrative that stressed the next patch, the next release and a suppression of examination of the past or present.

I'm glad that I was able to get my own money and the money of my friend's out. It felt important to invest as much energy towards ensuring that their trust was rewarded with the quality they were promised as the energy invested in promoting what turned out to be a scam.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around the idea of filtering information that is already pre-filtered in order to present the sunniest image possible in order to secure every chance of your friends giving cash to feed your own personal fascination. I believe the backdrop for this whole sorry affair, a video game, places a juvenile mask over something that would be considered far more odious were it to concern, say, real estate or mutual funds. There's a point where you really should stop and demand accountability, if not for yourself certainly for the persons from whom you've solicited trust and hard cash.

tl;dr I scored an instant pot as a gift and made dry beans for the first time last night. They were good!

I still remember the Katamari'ish thread for our beloved Cutlass "the flying slippery pig" pirate ship lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNBL_Posts/status/944228319846895617

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

EminusSleepus posted:

I still remember the Katamari'ish thread for our beloved Cutlass "the flying slippery pig" pirate ship lol

They tried so many times to destroy that thread.

In the end they just got rid of the forum.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

Wait why the gently caress would you make your community manager stay overnight to handle technical issues?

What the hell? "gently caress this deploy is completely screwed. HEY! CINDY FROM MARKETING! Get your rear end in here, reinstall VMWare on all of these servers before you go home tonight. Okay, my work here is done."

Solidarity crunch is pretty common in game development, and to a lesser degree, "tech" in general. I've had mandatory crunch weeks, where everyone had to crunch to make sure the people who were actually needed to crunch didn't get too demoralized or, even worse, leave when the office becomes empty. Very often the managers will stay too, the good ones in actual solidarity, the bad ones to crack the whip.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FailureToReport posted:

make sure you are using the 3.0 Delta Patcher and not the old launcher.

Nah that wasn't the problem, I'm just a dummy who didn't read the email right and assumed I could use my regular rear end password.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Latin Pheonix posted:

I've known small (read 5 employee) business owners to illegally classify their employees as (voting?) share holders in order to not be required pay them overtime. It would take balls to do it at this scale tho.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

They tried so many times to destroy that thread.

In the end they just got rid of the forum.

One of the funniest videos was Beer's attempt to show how the Cutlass has its unparalleled maneuverability lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Beet when you were mainlining hotsauce was Kayak barking like mad or just watching with a poo poo eating grin on his face.

Usually when I do stupid poo poo like that he just sits on the dog couch and looks like he's pretending he doesn't know me.