Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reik
Mar 8, 2004

$13.4 million is 0.5% of their annual revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ann Coulter is getting weirdly woke recently

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/944061133991923712

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I really feel like this is probably how she has been all along, she's just doing a bit. She's like a drag queen, but instead of dressing in drag she dresses in crazy neo-con.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/944240366663774209

hahahahahaha piss baby felt left out and hosed up 2018 for the GOP.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

There is a school that I sub at regularly that has a morning prayer every day. It's spoken in Arapahoe.

One of the schools I work at had a bunch of teachers get really sour on the idea of doing any more christmas stuff because the santa paradox was getting too much of an issue among the kids (why does santa give rich kids better presents than poor kids) to the point it wasn't fun to talk about santa anymore and the religious angle of christmas was already out. Atheism and anti-capitalism wins again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

“On first read, one might easily conclude that today’s enforcement action by the Republican-led FCC represents a strong stand against a company with a history of skirting FCC rules,” she said. “But take a closer look: contrary to what the FCC majority would have you believe, the nearly $13.4 million fine levied against Sinclair Broadcast Group represents a mere slap on the wrist.”

She added, “Simply put, the ‘punishment does not fit the crime’ against a company that grossed more than $2.7 billion in revenue last year.”

The FCC said that it acted on an anonymous complaint that Sinclair had aired paid programming about the Huntsman Cancer Center during its news programs, but did not tell viewers that Huntsman paid for the stories to air. The FCC’s enforcement bureau found that Sinclair and the foundation entered into an agreement “under which Sinclair produced and supplied programming to both Sinclair and non-Sinclair television stations.”

“This programming promoted the Foundation and the Institute and included 60- to 90-second sponsored stories made to look like independently generated news coverage and 30-minute paid television programs,” the FCC said.

Clyburn noted in her statement that Sinclair has been fined repeatedly over the years, including a $9.5 million settlement in 2016 for failing to negotiate in good faith for retransmission consent negotiations, and sanctions for violating other regulations, including children’s television rules.

Rosenworcel said, “In light of this substantial history of failure to comply with our policies and the sheer number of violations before the agency now, the immediate notice should seek the highest fines permissible under our rules. But instead of doing so, we offer unreasonable and suspicious favor to a company with a clear record of difficulty complying with the law.”

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I thought he doesn't have time to watch the news???????

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jealous Cow posted:

:shepface:

I know I should be used to this but it's somehow still remarkable to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jealous Cow posted:

The photo of him from the signing looks like a baby smiling because he's just shat his diaper.

He doesn't know what he did, but it made him feel important.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Reik posted:

I really feel like this is probably how she has been all along, she's just doing a bit. She's like a drag queen, but instead of dressing in drag she dresses in crazy neo-con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seThIG34R8

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Reik posted:

She is the steven colbert character if it had come from someone who actually thought the stuff. In the same way the daily show jon stewart was actually a liberal and mostly agreed with the liberal views of the show but also was playing a bit and didn't literally think the silly stuff the show said word for word.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how specifically does Trump signing the bill in 2017 gently caress up the GOP plans for 2018?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

PAYGO goes into effect.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how specifically does Trump signing the bill in 2017 gently caress up the GOP plans for 2018?

It goes into effect a year earlier than expected and can be used even more in the midterm elections. Also the cuts should fall off for the middle class in 2020 instead of 2021.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Reik posted:

$13.4 million is 0.5% of their annual revenue.

sure but probably somewhere in the ballpark of 2-5% of their annual ebit

adjusted oops

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

0 rows returned posted:

PAYGO goes into effect.

word in the other threads is the CR has a PAYGO waiver.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is Paygo?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Paygo kicking in in 2018 would be a big problem so if nothing else the Dems have an unexpected amount of leverage.

Edit paygo is a dumb system that triggers automatic cuts if the deficit is at a certain level unless paygo is explicitly waived

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's that poo poo Juggalos drink.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Numbers 5:11-21 is literally "Priests can force women to have a miscarriage if they are accused of infidelity", Hosea 13:16 is the "rip pregnant women open to kill both mother and child" bit, along with 1st Samual 15:3.

Psalms 137:8-9 is literally a song singing praises about killing the children of heathen nations.

Kind of hard not to given that the current state of our government is literally, directly the fault of American Christians.

:sigh:

I am not saying that those parts don't exist, I'm saying that those parts won't ever come up in church and therefore to most of these people those parts aren't in the bible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Paygo?

if you pass a bill that increases the deficit it automatically cuts medicare unless a separate waiver is passed, basically

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I thought I read that the PAYGO waiver was included in the stopgap funding bill, but I'm not sure which of the billion funding bills that's referring to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Has that one been passed yet?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Today I found out about several TV stations near me shutting down in an FCC channel "repack" that will also involve new standards requiring a converter box.

However inside of one station's announcement was an interesting tidbit:

http://wothtv.com/

WOTH-TV posted:

We can confirm Newsmax won’t make the transition to WKRP Channel 25. The network informed us they are ceasing agreements with their broadcast affiliates

So no more Newsmax on broadcast TV

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Has that one been passed yet?

yes, that's the temp one that only funds things until January but does include CHIP.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/943967541675872258

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

yes, that's the temp one that only funds things until January but does include CHIP.

It includes chip?

gently caress I'm behind.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

So a bunch of Dems have Trump cover to sign this year by voting form the CR? Jesus Christ

Also,

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/944208268947279872

Senator Susan “I’m not dumb, I’m just evil” Collins posted:

“Maybe I should have been more cynical or skeptical of the Democrats on this, but it never occurred to me that they would pull back on their support. It truly didn’t,” Collins said.

gently caress her, but also gently caress the Dems that voted for the CR.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

Does it waive PAYGO entirely for the tax bill? I thought I read that somewhere.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It includes chip?

Yeah, we definitely need CHIP back. States are already shutting off the lights.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

Does it waive PAYGO entirely for the tax bill? I thought I read that somewhere.

Correct

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It includes chip?

Also correct

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/house-passes-short-term-spending-bill_us_5a3c2b84e4b0b0e5a7a0ddcf

quote:

But with Senate Democrats concerned that Republicans may shut down non-defense programs, Republicans had to accept what is now the third short-term continuing resolution (CR) for a fiscal year that began Oct. 1.

As one concession, Democrats did get a six-month supply of money for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) in the CR. The program has been running out of money since October. The bill also includes language to waive certain pay-as-you-go rules that the GOP tax bill would trigger because of the new debt in their tax bill, which won’t be signed into law until these so-called Paygo rules are nullified with this legislation.

Still, almost all House Democrats were against this bill. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) wanted a more complete spending deal in this measure, with a sizable portion of the Democratic caucus advocating for agreements on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) immigration program as well as the cost-sharing reductions in Obamacare, which reimburse insurers for offering lower rates to low-income individuals. Ultimately, Republicans didn’t need Democratic support in the House, with Republicans supplying 217 votes that would have allowed them to pass the bill on their own.

In the Senate, Democrats were more amenable to preserving these legislative fights until January, with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) urging his colleagues to vote for the bill.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It includes chip?

It includes a temporary CHIP patch. Don't know the details, if it's actually giving them new money or just shuffling it around to put off the programs going broke a little longer. The issue still needs to be seriously addressed but people won't immediately get thrown off their insurance.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dehry posted:

Today I found out about several TV stations near me shutting down in an FCC channel "repack" that will also involve new standards requiring a converter box.

It really does seem absurd how much of the radio spectrum is devoted to television and how much of it sits doing literally nothing. Repack all that stuff.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ague Proof posted:

What surprised me about Steve Bannon is that he sounds like a regular human and not, as someone put it, a "cirrhosis golem."

I know. I always expect his voice to sound like a raspy growl that barely forms human words.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

So a bunch of Dems have Trump cover to sign this year by voting form the CR? Jesus Christ

Also,

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/944208268947279872

gently caress her, but also gently caress the Dems that voted for the CR.

Why? CHIP now, DACA in January is fine by me. Because they didn't threaten harder with Paygo leverage?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
So trump signed today because PAYGO wasn't actually a concern, and thread be huffin its own farts again?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

the idea that democrats would vote against stopping medicare cuts was never going to happen in a million years. i understand why they threatened it, because talk is cheap, i don't understand why anyone bought it. certainly no republicans did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Petr posted:

So trump signed today because PAYGO wasn't actually a concern, and thread be huffin its own farts again?

It's possible Trump signed today because he's an idiot AND paygo isn't a concern.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If the Dems managed to get CHIP funded for the immediate future that's a big victory. Yes they'll need to do more soon but the best they could do for the time being was buy time. Also it'll help for the 2018 elections that the Dems can campaign on CHIP and how the Republicans are holding it hostage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's possible Trump signed today because he's an idiot AND paygo isn't a concern.

i'm almost certain that what happened was someone in either congress or the white house finally pulled out a calendar and counted out the days and realized the plan to wait till jan 3rd had a monumentally, hilariously, huge basic problem

• Locked thread