Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Well, with it now concluded, I think I can say for sure now that this is my all-time favorite series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This manga was amazing and so was that ending.

What a perfect and good comic. ONE is one of the best there is.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
:unsmith:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Guess I better read it all again now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manga of the year
All years
:kimchi:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Afterword

“A self-styled spiritualist who splashes table salt around, and a middle-school esper who is, in a manner of speaking, being used.

When I first started drawing this manga, it was (well, was until the end) groping in the dark with shaking hands, and I recall sweating and struggling over various things.

It could be that ‘Salt Splash’ too was born as a technique to dispel that sort of anxiety and bad thoughts.

It think this is a weird manga, but it ended up as something I couldn’t recreate on command, a thing filled with my memories. 

It’s thanks to everyone that I was able to draw it to the end like this. 

With the help of the multitude of thoughts and letters and fan arts, I was somehow able to push through to the finish line. 

If you would occasionally go back to read and laugh again, it would bring me the greatest joy. 

Thank you very much!”

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:kimchi:

Best feelgood manga I've read in forever

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
This ending is nice, but I still kind of want a more extensive epilogue. There was just barely enough time to show where each character is in life, and that's about it.

Very strong last panel though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The important thing really is that it shows Mob being able to speak to a group of people and showing a normal emotional range in his conversations. I don't think a long where are they now is needed when for most of the cast it's "still in middle school.". We did already see in the tree/??? arcs that most of the former scar members did get normal jobs.

Also I do like that it implies that Mob is still friends with Tsubomi and talks with her a lot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

An ending where everyone has a defined outcome wouldn't really have worked, imo. We don't really need to learn if Mob became a police officer, eventually did marry Tsubomi and had a kid with her something in that vein.

It's a solid "this is where the story ends but life's going to carry on for these characters" thing. That's the best sort of outcome for this manga.

My only real grievance with the ending is that there's not enough Reigen, which is only selfishness really because his part in the ending works, I'm just of the opinion that even if you have maximum possible amounts of Reigen, that's not enough Reigen.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What a nice, cute little ending.

...I'm gonna miss this manga. But still, it was a good place to end things.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Fuckin perfect

Josuke Higashikata posted:

An ending where everyone has a defined outcome wouldn't really have worked, imo. We don't really need to learn if Mob became a police officer, eventually did marry Tsubomi and had a kid with her something in that vein.

It's a solid "this is where the story ends but life's going to carry on for these characters" thing. That's the best sort of outcome for this manga.

My only real grievance with the ending is that there's not enough Reigen, which is only selfishness really because his part in the ending works, I'm just of the opinion that even if you have maximum possible amounts of Reigen, that's not enough Reigen.

This exactly. Mob worked through his poo poo and now has a good life full of friends and family to support him

Maybe just one more chunni psychic getting clowned on by Reigen tho. Just one more.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A beautiful perfect ending that Mob deserved for sure. :3:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose there's also the second season of the anime to look forward to if that ever becomes a thing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Afterword

“A self-styled spiritualist who splashes table salt around, and a middle-school esper who is, in a manner of speaking, being used.

When I first started drawing this manga, it was (well, was until the end) groping in the dark with shaking hands, and I recall sweating and struggling over various things.

It could be that ‘Salt Splash’ too was born as a technique to dispel that sort of anxiety and bad thoughts.

It think this is a weird manga, but it ended up as something I couldn’t recreate on command, a thing filled with my memories. 

It’s thanks to everyone that I was able to draw it to the end like this. 

With the help of the multitude of thoughts and letters and fan arts, I was somehow able to push through to the finish line. 

If you would occasionally go back to read and laugh again, it would bring me the greatest joy. 

Thank you very much!”

I will.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Reigen ftw.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ZiegeDame posted:

He still charges something like several grand for a massage. "Other people are worse" isn't really a good defense in any situation.

Dude several grand is like 20 bucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the Yen to Dollar conversion rate is like 110:1.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

why you responding to 20 day old posts that were already rebuked lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kild posted:

why you responding to 20 day old posts that were already rebuked lol

Man it was last page, gimme a break

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I suppose there's also the second season of the anime to look forward to if that ever becomes a thing.

I think there's a decent chance of it! According to this article from October, Bones wants to at the very least.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Now that it is finished Id think Bones has a much easier chance to justify it to their higher ups/funders.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I'd assume one can do almost anything after the one punch man anime became ridiculously popular

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

he can't make bad manga

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

he can't make bad manga

Don't challenge him like that. He might make bad manga just to prove you wrong.

I believe you can make bad things if you want to, ONE! I'd just prefer if you didn't!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think it would be like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace which is intentionally bad and an actual masterpiece

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think it would be like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace which is intentionally bad and an actual masterpiece

I, got a script, read it. Scared me senseless, comme d'habitudes. And I said to ONE, I looked straight into his face, I've never been afraid of holding a man's gaze - it's natural. I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Bleach." And I do not say that lightly.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

My uncle works for ONE and I'm gonna tell him you guys think it's impossible for ONE to make bad manga :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I, got a script, read it. Scared me senseless, comme d'habitudes. And I said to ONE, I looked straight into his face, I've never been afraid of holding a man's gaze - it's natural. I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Bleach." And I do not say that lightly.

:discourse:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh for fucks sake, if people are gonna keep dragging this up over and over instead of talking about that fantastic ending, fine.

I know how yen works. I already converted the loving currency. Reigen's top price (from memory) was something like 500,000 yen. That puts it firmly within the range of "a few grand" USD.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh for fucks sake, if people are gonna keep dragging this up over and over instead of talking about that fantastic ending, fine.

I know how yen works. I already converted the loving currency. Reigen's top price (from memory) was something like 500,000 yen. That puts it firmly within the range of "a few grand" USD.

Reigen's top price was 20k yen and he said it would take something really serious to go that high. 200-500k is what the Sun Psychic Union's usual charge is.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Reigen's top price was 20k yen and he said it would take something really serious to go that high. 200-500k is what the Sun Psychic Union's usual charge is.

Part of the appeal of Reigen being the best character is that it's far from obvious for most of the series. Then he becomes awesome and it's out of fuckin' nowhere.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Still badly underpaid Mob though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would pay everything I own to speak to Arataka Reigen.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that was probably one of the most solid endings i've ever seen. what an absolute masterpiece, through and through

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Still badly underpaid Mob though.

Mobs like 10 years old just give him some candy. Grown ups like reigen gotta make a living

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That was a good ending. Looking back, I have to wonder how many chapters there actually were, if each separate part was a chapter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Over 200, but Mob Psycho 200+ doesn't have quite the same ring to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
including the really short x.5 chapters, 214 according to kissmanga's list