Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Shooting the phone after saying "fine, how are you" seems like like a thousand times more wacky and outlandish over the top guardians of the galaxy stuff than pretending you have a bad hyperspace communications line.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I wonder about the correlation between "ruins my immersion" or "takes me out of the moment" complaints and immature attitudes toward media generally. Where does this idea that you can reasonably expect to be totally engrossed in/completely swept away by any media come from, if not juvenalia and marketing?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Shooting the phone after saying "fine, how are you" seems like like a thousand times more wacky and outlandish over the top guardians of the galaxy stuff than pretending you have a bad hyperspace communications line.

lol ok. poe made a "your mom" joke in a star wars movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Star Wars is NO PLACE for mom jokes. :colbert:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

It is too late to put a YOUR MOM burn between Luke and Leia, but that would have been the best place.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Your mom was.....very beautiful. Kind......but sad.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Your mom is like sand... she's coarse and rough and irritating and she gets everywhere!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

Not in TYOOL 2017 is a "yo' momma" joke good outside of Star Wars.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not in TYOOL 2017 is a "yo' momma" joke good outside of Star Wars.

I think you're really going to love the Han Solo movie in that case.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I thought your mom smelled bad on the outside...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AndyElusive posted:

I think you're really going to love the Han Solo movie in that case.

No they took out all the good stuff for bland safe garbage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

If I had to guess, it's cuz Driver has a very thick core and it wouldn't be any more flattering to have low cut pants, so do something unusual. His naked scenes in Girls always managed to call attention to his unusual physique. He never seemed self conscious about it but maybe the costume designer here was.

why do you say his physique is unusual? he just looks like a guy who works out a ton that's quite ugly and has terrible hair

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Saw it a 2nd time last night, I liked it significantly better than the first time.

That's all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I dunno, isn't Poe's entire arc in TLJ to not be a brash, thrill-seeking dildo, but a more measured and tactical leader? Every instinct of his is proven wrong in this installment, and it carries significant casualties with it. It feels to me like The Last Jedi was moving him into a place where he had to earn the right to lead in Holdo and Leia's absence. The dude from The Force Awakens couldn't do that, but who he is at the end of The Last Jedi could conceivably carry that responsibility.

As for the mom joke, I mentioned it to early but his introduction in The Force Awakens basically has him ripping on Kylo Ren's tryhard Vader mask. That kind of humor is what the character is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mastershakeman posted:

why do you say his physique is unusual? he just looks like a guy who works out a ton that's quite ugly and has terrible hair

Tha gently caress? That hair is amazing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Fart City posted:

I dunno, isn't Poe's entire arc in TLJ to not be a brash, thrill-seeking dildo, but a more measured and tactical leader? Every instinct of his is proven wrong in this installment, and it carries significant casualties with it. It feels to me like The Last Jedi was moving him into a place where he had to earn the right to lead in Holdo and Leia's absence. The dude from The Force Awakens couldn't do that, but who he is at the end of The Last Jedi could conceivably carry that responsibility.

As for the mom joke, I mentioned it to early but his introduction in The Force Awakens basically has him ripping on Kylo Ren's tryhard Vader mask. That kind of humor is what the character is.

At least now we have a reason to believe why he's the man to lead an attack rather than letting a city administrator you just met lead the attack you've been planning for years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm glad thousands of people died so Poe could Learn A Valuable Lesson

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Steve Yun posted:

I'm glad thousands of people died so Poe could Learn A Valuable Lesson

Yeah me too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Obama 2012 posted:

In my boundless cynicism I just assumed that she was there to appeal to Chinese audiences.

At least I know now how people must've reacted to Billy Dee Williams back in the day. "Lucas is only pandering to the coloreds. In real life no black could pilot the Millennium Falcon!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So people like Boba Fett because he's cool-looking and entirely one-dimensional, and are angry about Luke having inner conflict?

I'm starting to see why people didn't enjoy this movie.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leia force-flying herself back from space, just lmao.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

If someone told me "hey I bet the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff is actually going to be the most compelling part of the plot by far" I would have laughed at them, but here we are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was the most compelling stuff in the first film
tho.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The fact that Hamill outclassed Ford and Fisher really wasn't a surprise to me, I definitely expected that. Fisher just hadn't done much acting in recent years, and Ford has been sleepwalking through most of his projects for like two decades now. And Driver was the best thing about TFA, so it's no surprise that it was that storyline that was the most compelling in TLJ.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It was the most compelling stuff in the first film
tho.

I wasn't a huge fan of Kylo in the first one, and I did not have high hopes for Luke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WarEternal posted:

It's divided because they're trying to shoehorn the film into a certain reading that isn't completely there. I was excited going into this movie by what people were saying, but imo, the democratization of the force angle that people are gunning for just doesn't exist or was strangled in the crib.

Kylo is the closest one to having the proper answer except his vision seems to be monopolistic control over the means of the force and Luke's answer for most of the movie seemed to be abolition of means entirely until he has a talk with Yoda which is where my favorable reading of the film falls apart. They burn down the library but she has the books anyway. Luke says he'll teach her the ways and why it needs to end, but gives up when he sees echoes of Kylo in her. Yoda says they can't fail Rey, but it seems as though they give her no tools to succeed. In the end the Jedi solution again seems to be reinstituting the old.

I agree that people are trying to shoehorn the movie. It did some mild deconstruction of the idea of trying to be legends rather than people, but it wasn't some savage attack on the other movies, and it wasn't trying to make any sweeping statements about the universe or who did things wrong.

There were a lot of little things that weren't focused on because they weren't important to the main story, and I think the books was one of them. Rey leaves, Luke goes to burn the tree, it burns without him going inside, and then in a quick shot at the end Rey has the books. Conclusion: she stole them when she left, believable in character but the audience knowing that would harpoon Luke's actions. And that action didn't deserve to be harpooned.

As for a "solution" to the Force, I think that's the wrong approach to the characters. Kylo felt betrayed by the Jedi order, Luke felt he had failed and took the excuse that failure was inevitable because of the nature of the Jedi, their reactions were emotional ones rather than some calm critique and neither proposed a solution other than nihilism, whether through destruction or just letting it die. As for tools Luke gave Rey, she learned about the Force, she has access to the Jedi knowledge, and she finally saw Luke as a flawed person so she can make her own decisions going forward. She may find a solution to the flaws of the Jedi, she may not, but it's her doing it now. And if there's a flaw in the old Jedi order (from what we've seen, we don't see it on good days) it's that rigid high standard of denying the dark side, of pretending that they can be perfect forces for light and repressing any darker instincts. Accepting failure, pain, death, that's part of the balance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

If someone told me "hey I bet the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff is actually going to be the most compelling part of the plot by far" I would have laughed at them, but here we are.

HAHA THREE FORCE USING CHARACTERS ARE GOING TO BE COMPELLING? IN A STAR WARS?!? WTF HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PT6A posted:

So people like Boba Fett because he's cool-looking and entirely one-dimensional, and are angry about Luke having inner conflict?

I'm starting to see why people didn't enjoy this movie.

Why do you think people wanting detailed backstories of "mysterious" characters like Phasma and Snoke and irritated at their loss, instead of realizing their pompous, arrogant one-pump chumps?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I really like Phasma, because I can't remember if I've ever seen a female villain actually be just a random evil NCO henchman, and not have some loving tragic backstory and daddy issues and turn good at the end and probably gently caress the male lead.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like phasma a lot more in this movie than TFA, that's for sure. Yeah she got dunked on anticlimactically by Finn but unlike her mentor boba fett she got a moment of being a real threat first.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Mymla posted:

I really like Phasma, because I can't remember if I've ever seen a female villain actually be just a random evil NCO henchman, and not have some loving tragic backstory and daddy issues and turn good at the end and probably gently caress the male lead.

I like the running gag of her being badass and getting clowned on in every movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Phasma was cool. Her armor is cool. Her voice is cool. Her fight with Finn is cool. If she's dead, cool. If she lives, cool. I could go either way with it.

It would be pretty awesome if she returned without a helmet in Ep 9 all burned the gently caress up, but that fall seemed pretty final.

Though I don't know how hosed you'd be by fire when your armor literally deflects bolts of super hot fire.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Phasma/Finn/Rose/BB-8 fight on the capital ship was possibly the fourth or fifth stupidest scene in the movie, which is to see it was immensely dumb. BB-8 piloting the AT-ST, pew pew.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why is a droid piloting a walker, having the chassis torn off it because the droid is a clumsy pilot, and rampaging around in it stupid? Because it was BB-8?

There was literally a debate on why there wasn't a droid piloting the Raddus so Holdo could live before it went into lightspeed straight into the Supremacy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope there is one day a prison camp to send spergs to and they have to watch that fake bad connection scene over and over again forever. Because some one is going to reply to me with "we'll send you there" and that will be great because I will be able to watch that very good and funny scene over and over again forever.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I thought the bad connection joke lasted too long and sucked, but I laughed at the "your mother" part of it. There is no place for me in this world.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

No they took out all the good stuff for bland safe garbage.

But enough about Ep VII and VIII

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TLJ is better than 80% of all Star Wars movies.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

TLJ is better than 80% of all Star Wars movies.

By this metric, it’s the second best Star Wars movie, and I’m inclined to not argue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Why is a droid piloting a walker, having the chassis torn off it because the droid is a clumsy pilot, and rampaging around in it stupid? Because it was BB-8?

There was literally a debate on why there wasn't a droid piloting the Raddus so Holdo could live before it went into lightspeed straight into the Supremacy.

I am glad you were able to enjoy that scene, our world needs more childlike wonderment.

• Locked thread