Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seriously recommending his Omega Men run here because that comic is amazing and everyone should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

poo poo that was Tom King? Wow. OK, I need to pick up his Batman collection yesterday

Also, was that them swapping clothes a few posts up?

Yes. Clark, Lois, Bruce, and Selina are on a double-date and decide to go to a fair...that's having a "dress as a superhero" theme night. Nobody can get in without a superhero costume, and if they wore their regular outfits they'd be recognized. So everyone swaps costumes.

I love that Clark's wearing his glasses over the batmask.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

poo poo that was Tom King? Wow. OK, I need to pick up his Batman collection yesterday

Also, was that them swapping clothes a few posts up?

Yes. Bruce dresses up and Superman, and Clark dresses as Batman.

Also, Lois wears the cat woman suit.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Batman's strenuous workout process: kick trees

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Push El Burrito posted:

Batman's strenuous workout process: kick trees

Could be a reference to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBJhQqGxJBE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes. Clark, Lois, Bruce, and Selina are on a double-date and decide to go to a fair...that's having a "dress as a superhero" theme night. Nobody can get in without a superhero costume, and if they wore their regular outfits they'd be recognized. So everyone swaps costumes.

Who's Selina dressed as?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Who's Selina dressed as?

Lois Lane. She had a regular dress.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Infinitum posted:

Who's Selina dressed as?

Her plan:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This is some good panels.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's a Batman: Year One reference.

King's Batman is the best. There's plenty of one or two issue stories in his run you can just pick up to see what he's about.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Evil Mastermind posted:

The glasses that he doesn't actually need.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Polaron posted:

The glasses that he doesn't actually need.

Well, how else is he going to hide his secret identity? :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
from X-Men Grand Design #1 drawn and written by Ed Piskor(who you might be familiar with from his Hip-Hop Family Tree series);

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's not at all what I thought that book was. Guess I need to go pick it up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cabbit posted:

That's not at all what I thought that book was. Guess I need to go pick it up.

The first issue is basically covering everything from Namor's flooding of New York in the 40's(which they establish not only as a major disaster that kills thousands of people, but as also the primary reason people in the Marvel Universe have such a hate boner for Mutants compared to anyone else with super powers) through the initial X-Men team being fully formed, including how each member gets recruited(as well as showing Magneto's rise and founding of the Brotherhood)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

The first issue is basically covering everything from Namor's flooding of New York in the 40's(which they establish not only as a major disaster that kills thousands of people, but as also the primary reason people in the Marvel Universe have such a hate boner for Mutants compared to anyone else with super powers) through the initial X-Men team being fully formed, including how each member gets recruited(as well as showing Magneto's rise and founding of the Brotherhood)
Is it double sized? I see it's six bucks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Is it double sized? I see it's six bucks.

Yes it is, I need to get a copy myself as well

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope you can find it at retail. It sold out at Diamond before release and they haven't announced a reprint.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The gimmick is "all of X-Men continuity as a big overarching story that actually hangs together," so I imagine there'll be a trade.

And if he pulls it off, he should get all the Eisners.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As someone not super into comics and even less so superhero comics (so as to say a lot of the history/references he was tying together probably flew over my head) I really enjoyed it.
I mean I don't know how much of that was because of the art style but drat I really loved the art style.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

As someone not super into comics and even less so superhero comics (so as to say a lot of the history/references he was tying together probably flew over my head) I really enjoyed it.
I mean I don't know how much of that was because of the art style but drat I really loved the art style.

Ed Piskor is one of the best artists in the industry right now in my opinion

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
His fear that former BSS mod David Brothers was going to beat him up was simultaneously hilarious and pathetic, and that's sadly colored all his work for me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

His fear that former BSS mod David Brothers was going to beat him up was simultaneously hilarious and pathetic, and that's sadly colored all his work for me.

Wut

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I hope you can find it at retail. It sold out at Diamond before release and they haven't announced a reprint.

Or you could just buy it digitally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Explain

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Or you could just buy it digitally.

They said they wanted to find a copy. That pretty clearly meant a physical one my dude but digital is also good!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Come again?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mr. Maltose posted:

OK you can't just leave it at that buddy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently Brothers having problems with the post-script of the first volume of Hip Hop Family Tree was construed to mean he intended to throw hands or something equally dumb, which is an idea so insane it's still humorous to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Would it be ungenerous to assume Hermanos' skin tone factored into that impression?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Would it be ungenerous to assume Hermanos' skin tone factored into that impression?

Is Ed Piskor white?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Is Ed Piskor white?

Yes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huh. I had no idea. Do people have a problem with his work or something?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rhyno posted:

Huh. I had no idea. Do people have a problem with his work or something?

I don't have my copy of HHFT on hand, but I recall the actual issue hermanos had was a white guy referring to the majority white purchasers of his indie comics in the exact way you're thinking. It may not have been in the collection but in an interview or something equally cringeworthy. This was apparently blown up by bad actors talking poo poo about hermanos into threats of violence.

Which is literally insane. He'd obviously have hired Rhyno to do it instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Which is literally insane. He'd obviously have hired Rhyno to do it instead.

I was honestly wondering if someone was getting BSS bullshit confused because of my antagonistic relationship with Brothers during his days as mod.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Once upon a time..."

Klaus #7

Seriously people can praise All-Star Superman all they want but Grant Morrison writing a Santa Claus origin story is a way better story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TwoPair posted:

Seriously people can praise All-Star Superman all they want but Grant Morrison writing a Santa Claus origin story is a way better story.

There's a one-shot album out right now, Klaus and the Crisis in Xmasville. It's worth a read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The back matter of today's Kamandi Challenge (the last issue of the series) with Paul Levitz and blimmin' José Luis García-López paying tribute to Len Wein.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's really sweet. Len Wein was pretty great, and is responsible for this panel:

So I will always remember him fondly. And with some confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Is Ed Piskor white?