Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Papa John Misty posted:

It's Tool so yeah it sounds like poo poo

ooo got em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hi chums.

I come to you to ask about record players.

My grandfather passed away recently and he had a metric boatload of records (mostly symphonies and church devotions, but that's beside the point).

His record player was this GE foldable record player (from some online searches, it looks similar to the Wildcat?). Unfortunately, the speakers were basically blown (due to him blasting the volume as he was losing his hearing) and then the wiring was half-busted (from my lovely cousin abusing it and loving with it), so my folks donated to a thrift shop. Not that I mind because I had no desire to try to fix the thing up. It's better off going to someone who would actually care about a vintage item like that.

All that being said, I'm now in the market for a new record player. I'm not looking for anything crazy top-of-the-line, but I was just recently given a $100 giftcard to Amazon and was hoping to pick one up from there. Any recommendations on record players in that price range (anything under about $125). There's like a million to choose from and I know a lot of probably depends on personal taste, but is there anything I should steer clear from?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Hi chums.

My grandfather passed away recently and he had a metric boatload of records (mostly symphonies and church devotions, but that's beside the point).

His record player was this GE foldable record player (from some online searches, it looks similar to the Wildcat?). Unfortunately, the speakers were basically blown (due to him blasting the volume as he was losing his hearing) and then the wiring was half-busted (from my lovely cousin abusing it and loving with it), so my folks donated to a thrift shop. Not that I mind because I had no desire to try to fix the thing up. It's better off going to someone who would actually care about a vintage item like that.

All that being said, I'm now in the market for a new record player. I'm not looking for anything crazy top-of-the-line, but I was just recently given a $100 giftcard to Amazon and was hoping to pick one up from there. Any recommendations on record players in that price range (anything under about $125). There's like a million to choose from and I know a lot of probably depends on personal taste, but is there anything I should steer clear from?

I can't help with your request but I like the image of grandpa blasting church devotions out of his speakers at maximum volume.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

I found this thread helpful when buying mine, friend:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mordiceius posted:

Hi chums.

Anything in the 100 dollars or less range is going to be a door stop. The Audio Technica LP-120 is pretty much the standard entry level turntable. Unless you can find a good record store that sells refurbished vintage turntables, in which case you ought to be able to get something good in that price range. I would still ask the merchant about the stylus and if it's new, etc because an old stylus can gently caress up your records. My honest advice to anyone who ever wants to get into this hobby is not to because it's a giant money hole.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 15, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CPL593H posted:

Anything in the 100 dollars or less range is going to be a door stop. The Audio Technica LP-120 is pretty much the standard entry level turntable. Unless you can find a good record store that sells refurbished vintage turntables, in which case you ought to be able to get something good in that price range. I would still ask the merchant about the stylus and if it's new, etc because an old stylus can gently caress up your records. My honest advice to anyone who ever wants to get into this hobby is not to because it's a giant money hole.

The thing is, I’m not looking for anything top of the line. I’m no audiophile so something basic is good enough for me. I just want to be able to listen to some of my grandfathers old records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Then get something in your price range.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably just get an AT LP60

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dogen posted:

He might not have speakers or a receiver.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Boinks posted:

Has there ever been a picture disc that wasn't released in a clear vinyl cover?

I've got a Yoshinori Sunahara album that came with a gatefold sleeve (with an inner booklet no less), but yeah, this kind of deluxe deal is not typical for picture discs from what I've seen.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Hi chums.

Do you want to actually listen to your music on a stereo or just check out your Dad's thrift store quality stuff? If it's the latter just buy whatever cheap crappy suitcase turntable is on sale.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

He might not have speakers or a receiver.

According to the internet, the 60 has a built-in preamp and RCA outputs, so it should be fine for Mord's purposes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also never buy a Crosley. Never.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

According to the internet, the 60 has a built-in preamp and RCA outputs, so it should be fine for Mord's purposes.

Not if the only other thing he has to listen to music on is his phone or a laptop, which seems to be about half the people who come into the audio threads.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My latest trip report from Richmond, Virginia:

Top two are Portugal. The Man's earliest albums. I'm guessing that following their new-found stardom, their first record label went and did some reissues. Fine by me (still need a copy of my favorite PTM album, American Gehtto).

The bottom is one of the finest products to come out of RVA's thriving jazz scene. They're led by DJ Harrison on keys, who's also a producer and beatmaker with an album that dropped on Stones Throw a few months ago. This is Butcher Brown's first vinyl release, a live recording from earlier this year. I picked up my copy last night at their album release party which was held at the same venue.

It's not on their bandcamp (yet), but check their poo poo out.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
It's gonna be a great Afrobeat weekend! Box set and single LP:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

beefnoodle posted:

How much did that box set cost? Been wanting that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Asnorban posted:

How much did that box set cost? Been wanting that.

$120 plus shipping less a 15% discount code (FELAKUTI15 if it still works):
https://regulartrademark.fela.net/products/fela-kuti-box-set-4-curated-by-erykah-badu?variant=1711344746520

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

I second this, ATLP60 is pretty drat good

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/942526705192914945

I can't figure out how to rotate video but I do know how to digitally transfer old 78's using a 1980s school record player and a 15-year-old copy of Cool Edit Pro. :awesome:

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

beefnoodle posted:

Sickkk can't wait to pick that one up. I have the first three sets and they're great. If you're at all interested in this act now because they sell out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Oh yeah, this should be good for another 6.5 days I think? Came with my book, a few different versions of the White Stripes song.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

hexwren posted:

Also never buy a Crosley. Never.

That’s not entirely true. I have a Crosley C10 (I know, it’s basically a Pro-jekt Debut III) and I have been pleased with it.

Basically just don’t buy a Crosley all in one.

If you start taking vinyl and vinyl collecting seriously though you’re gonna want to upgrade no matter what so get something you can live with at your budget.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a Crosley CR85 STACK-O'-MATIC because I live in a studio apartment and can't have a nice sound system right now and I love stacking like 4x albums at once to play in a series with guests over.

Sure its probably slowly destroying my records by having them fall on each other while turning but hey, I don't have to put on a new one every twenty minutes? It's pretty great for putting on a few at once when I have company over.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You monster.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’m sure people LOVE that guy that gets up every 15-20 minutes to go flip the record and then gets distracted for another 10 picking out the next record while you are trying to eat dinner or play a game.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
guests dont give a poo poo about yr records

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Stack-o-matics are so awesome no one makes them anymore :v:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

stay depressed posted:

guests dont give a poo poo about yr records

I would never invite someone into my home who wouldn't spend at least 30 minutes comparing the quality of our copies of whipped cream and other delights

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Asnorban posted:

I’m sure people LOVE that guy that gets up every 15-20 minutes to go flip the record and then gets distracted for another 10 picking out the next record while you are trying to eat dinner or play a game.

If you want music as background noise buy an ipod.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CPL593H posted:

If you want music as background noise buy an ipod.

thanks for letting us know that ipods, devices that allow me to carry thousands of songs anywhere, are bad somehow

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

thanks for letting us know that ipods, devices that allow me to carry thousands of songs anywhere, are bad somehow

That's actually not what I was saying. I was pointing out that if you're playing music for a dinner party a wall full of big plastic discs that have to be tended to every 15 minutes or so is probably not optimal.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

That's actually not what I was saying. I was pointing out that if you're playing music for a dinner party a wall full of big plastic discs that have to be tended to every 15 minutes or so is probably not optimal.

Just get the Radioshack album with 90 minutes of the finest instrumental music on one disc. You only have to flip sides once every 45 minutes.

And then your friends will stop coming over because you just listen to Muzak. Problem solved on both accounts!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Or get one of those obscene 3 RPM records from Third Man Records (and figure out how to play your table at 3 RPM.)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I was browsing the crap records at Goodwill today when they put out a fresh stack.

In the middle of it was a VG+/VG+ copy of Queen - Jazz with no marks on it whatsoever

And the poster

:nws:
https://imgur.com/a/Txv5i
:nws:

Fuckin score.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Man, Queen was so fuckin cool.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

The only Star Wars soundtrack I'll pay a premium price for is the one from the 1978 Holiday Special.

?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
So I've had a negligible-value record collection for about a year now, and I have been passively looking for a decent old player with no success (I didn't really put in much effort so that's not surprising). I found someone willing to sell an unused LP120 with the green cartridge for a good price, and it just arrived today. If only I spent some time cleaning up this receiver before the turntable arrived... the poor thing needs a lot of cleaning in all the pots and probably some solder reflow, but it works.

I hope to build a better sideboard for everything this spring, and maybe I'll have better luck finding a nicer receiver for cheap, but I'm sure I will find plenty of vinyl to haul downstairs for an excessive price too :homebrew:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does it have the one where Bea Arthur sings to a giant rat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
yeah but she's been replaced with an uncredited melodica solo