Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mike the TV posted:

This thread: "The new Star Wars are just good looking graphics, but they have no real substance and don't do much"

Quote the people who said this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Instant Sunrise posted:

so did anybody else think the subplot of leia marrying some three eyed dude who was pretending to be palpatine's illegitimate three eyed son was a little weird?

especially since they had that stupid reveal where it wasn't actually leia but a robot clone of her with laser eyes.

Truly, the zenith of the EU.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

so did anybody else think the subplot of leia marrying some three eyed dude who was pretending to be palpatine's illegitimate three eyed son was a little weird?

especially since they had that stupid reveal where it wasn't actually leia but a robot clone of her with laser eyes.

Legit can't tell if you're mentioning something that happened in a novel or a comic book or doing a joke.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

business hammocks posted:

Legit can't tell if you're mentioning something that happened in a novel or a comic book or doing a joke.

I mean, to be fair, it was a book aimed at young children.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

100% real

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

1stGear posted:

Sooooo primarily read by adults then.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

1stGear posted:

as opposed to the novels aimed at adults where han solo's daughter has an orgy with a bunch of insects

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vintersorg posted:

“Why do people like a cool design” UmOK, A Literal Idiot

Hes wearing armor of the Mandalorians, some warrior race, only elaborated upon in only non-movie star wars products. It will most likely never be touched upon again and the Mandalorians will never be mentioned ever again in star wars.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 22, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's just like every time I run into a spoiler for something on Game of Thrones I assume it's a joke because it sounds so dumb, and then the guy gets shot on the toilet right there like it's totally serious high drama. The only one that didn't come true was the lady getting diarrhea in a field.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

This thread: "The new Star Wars are just good looking graphics, but they have no real substance and don't do much"

A New Hope doesn't have good graphics or substance, and it's the best Star Wars movie of all.

The Last Jedi reminded me of the prequels in that it took itself super seriously, which makes me less likely to forgive the ridiculous parts.

I loved TFA because it was fun as hell, but the moral of the story in TLJ is that action is wrong and real heroes run away. How much fun is that?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Instant Sunrise posted:

as opposed to the novels aimed at adults where han solo's daughter has an orgy with a bunch of insects

Better story than TLJ.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tenzarin posted:

Hes wearing armor of the Mandalorians, some warrior race, only elaborated upon in only non-movie star wars products. It will most likely never be touched upon again and the Mandalorians will never be mentioned ever again in star wars.

C'mon they almost certainly will make a bobby feta movie

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

mandalorians are just poo poo klingons, and klingons are already poo poo

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

“Why do people like a cool design” UmOK, A Literal Idiot

"A good design is all a character needs to be good" Vintersong, A Totally Not Butthurt Poster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Are they saying the character is good or just memorable? I don't even think you can classify Fett a good character if they're barely a character

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Penpal posted:

Are they saying the character is good or just memorable? I don't even think you can classify Fett a good character if they're barely a character

I'm saying I'm pissed that after waiting all this time for Episode 6 that we still don't know anything about Booba Fett. Like who are his parents? Maybe he only has a father lol. Yeah right and maybe Anakind only has a mother. - 1983 Goon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

UmOk posted:

"A good design is all a character needs to be good" Vintersong, A Totally Not Butthurt Poster

Who the hell thinks Boba Fett is a good character? I don't think anyone would agree with that. He only looks really cool but is completely a background piece and meant to be thrown away.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It's just like every time I run into a spoiler for something on Game of Thrones I assume it's a joke because it sounds so dumb, and then the guy gets shot on the toilet right there like it's totally serious high drama. The only one that didn't come true was the lady getting diarrhea in a field.

That one legit happens at the end of book 5, and they just cut it from the show. Probably Danaerys has cholera or something like it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Some people just have hard ones for Mandalore like Karen Traviss

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

UmOk posted:

I'm saying I'm pissed that after waiting all this time for Episode 6 that we still don't know anything about Booba Fett. Like who are his parents? Maybe he only has a father lol. Yeah right and maybe Anakind only has a mother. - 1983 Goon

what the gently caress

Anyway the best sight-gag in the film was a porg, slapping his duckfoot against the "ON" switch of the lightsaber while another one looked down the barrel of it, like kids playing with a loaded gun

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Penpal posted:

what the gently caress

Anyway the best sight-gag in the film was a porg, slapping his duckfoot against the "ON" switch of the lightsaber while another one looked down the barrel of it, like kids playing with a loaded gun

Actually, this part was what ruined Star Wars. Forever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tenzarin posted:

Well if you watched Clone Wars and Rebels they go deep into Mandalore and the world they inhabit. Obi Wan even falls in love with one but can't go all the way since it's against Jedi code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euxk0SasxNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITHPIcrJDsQ

The entire Mandalore arc is loving great. Clone Wars was so good!

(this is all considered canon btw)

Anyways, what the gently caress is wrong with wanting more information on characters? People are just being straight up assholes about it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Well if you watched Clone Wars and Rebels they go deep into Mandalore and the world they inhabit. Obi Wan even falls in love with one but can't go all the way since it's against Jedi code.

Anyways, what the gently caress is wrong with wanting more information on characters? People are just being straight up assholes about it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more info on characters or settings. I think the issue is people are saying a movie is bad because it didn't give full back stories for minor characters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

UmOk posted:

There's nothing wrong with wanting more info on characters or settings. I think the issue is people are saying a movie is bad because it didn't give full back stories for minor characters.

Ah, see... I am sorry for being an rear end in a top hat towards you. :(

I don't think that is a reason to get mad at TLJ at all. I hope I didn't come across like that. I mean, it'd be NICE to have more info on Snoke and maybe in the 3rd but I enjoyed his stuff in the movie (the battle if prob my favorite bit). Andy Serkis is such a good voice actor.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vintersorg posted:

Canderous Ordo is the one true Mandalore.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Ah, see... I am sorry for being an rear end in a top hat towards you. :(

I don't think that is a reason to get mad at TLJ at all. I hope I didn't come across like that. I mean, it'd be NICE to have more info on Snoke and maybe in the 3rd but I enjoyed his stuff in the movie (the battle if prob my favorite bit). Andy Serkis is such a good voice actor.

Snoke in TLJ is a major improvement over the last movie. Both visually and as a character. In TFA his facial expressions and movements looked too similar to Gollum. Serkis really sold him in the TLJ

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Actually, this part was what ruined Star Wars. Forever.

Thought that was

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Penpal posted:

Thought that was

*There were heroes on both sides.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

UmOk posted:

:ironicat:

All you do is get "butthurt" (and pretend not to be) over criticism of bad Star Wars and superhero films, foo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched TLJ again. Still rules. Much less jokey than I remembered.

To address a couple nitpicks I've seen:

I don't think there's as much timeline fuckery with Rey's story as everyone says. The "18 hours of fuel" isn't said until Finn and Rose are on their way to Canto Bight, which is well into the fleet chase. I think they may have fudged like a half-day to a day if Luke's planet is on a 24-hour day.

Also Rey doesn't really disappear for that long. Between the throne room and her showing up in the Millenium Falcon in the gunner's seat is awhile, but I bet it's about as long as Han disappears in "Star Wars".

Anyway, movie looks great, has a lot of really awesome action. Might have been better if they'd left out the salt planet at the end, but the salt planet does have some good poo poo.

I feel dumb for not picking this up in the first viewing, but Rose saving Finn is obviously what she wished she could have done with her sister. Finn attempts to do exactly what her sister did.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

but the salt planet does have some good poo poo.

Battering ram cannon

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Disco Godfather posted:

Battering ram cannon

Planet destroying laser.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Vintersorg posted:

I think the funniest thing about The Clone Wars is the revelation that Boba Fett was not really part of the Mandalorian culture despite being a symbol of it for so long. After Jango got killed, he was mostly raised by bounty hunters Aurra Sing and Bossk before joining the business fully when he’s physically a teenager. He wears the armor more because of Jango than his heritage.

The Mandalorians are also actually pacifists who remained neutral in the Clone Wars, and the warrior race thing was part of a minority group who eventually took over the planet, before themselves being taken over by Darth Maul and then the Emperor himself. In other words, the proud warriors of Mandalore were the reason their entire culture was turned into tools of the Empire.

What Rian Johnson did with TLJ is just following the examples of Dave Filoni and George Lucas himself.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 22, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The MSJ posted:

I think the funniest thing about The Clone Wars is the revelation that Boba Fett was not really part of the Mandalorian culture despite being a symbol of it for so long.

Well there was never a part in any of the 6 star wars films where they even talked about Mandalorians or even had the Fetts talk much at all. I think it basically came from the black hole that is the wookieepedia as written by Lucas himself. I think 'edge' knowledge of his armor's name and the mystique of Boba Fett's character pushed it as far as it has gone. Oddly, the wookieepedia says Boba Fett is Mandalorian and that he even became Mandalore, this would of happened after he escaped the sarlacc pit in ROTJ.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 23, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Better story than TLJ.

Not even the writer of the book believes that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Well there was never a part in any of the 6 star wars films where they even talked about Mandalorians or even had the Fetts talk much at all. I think it basically came from the black hole that is the wookieepedia as written by Lucas himself. I think 'edge' knowledge of his armor's name and the mystique of Boba Fett's character pushed it as far as it has gone. Oddly, the wookieepedia says Boba Fett is Mandalorian and that he even became Mandalore, this would of happened after he escaped the sarlacc pit in ROTJ.

I don't think most of the EU Mandalorian lore came from Lucas himself. It's basically novels and comics. The Clone Wars had more involvement from him.

There was one writer, Karen Travis, who wrote a lot of books about Mandalorians and basically used the image of Boba Fett to shape the race's entire history and culture within the EU. I heard she was quite upset with The Clone Wars because it made her novels non-canon, which is a bit ironic since her own work basically overwrote many earlier EU stuff.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The horse track poo poo was unnecessary and looked dumb, and there was a bit too much porg shtick. Otherwise the movie was pretty dope.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The horse track poo poo was unnecessary and looked dumb, and there was a bit too much porg shtick. Otherwise the movie was pretty dope.

I know I didn't just hear you talking poo poo about porgs...

The gently caress is wrong with you?

EDIT: Seriously, they're incredibly cute, and the movie takes the edge off the cuteness when Chewie eats one so it's not just all saccharine poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw someone saying the porgs were actually puffins that they digitally costumed rather than doing anything to interfere with them on set.

Which is cool, but the context I saw it in was patting then on the back for being so considerate to the animals as if it weren't %100 profit driven. They could have just as easily deleted them, instead they created something they could profit off of and sell tons of merchandise of.

Which is perfectly fine, it's fun to have a beat little set of characters based off a real thing, just don't pretend it's altruistic. It's a really awesome way to repurpose something they couldn't do anything about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I saw someone saying the porgs were actually puffins that they digitally costumed rather than doing anything to interfere with them on set.

Which is cool, but the context I saw it in was patting then on the back for being so considerate to the animals as if it weren't %100 profit driven. They could have just as easily deleted them, instead they created something they could profit off of and sell tons of merchandise of.

Which is perfectly fine, it's fun to have a beat little set of characters based off a real thing, just don't pretend it's altruistic. It's a really awesome way to repurpose something they couldn't do anything about.

I had only heard they were inspired by the puffins, not actually added to replace puffins that were in the way during shots. Either way they're adorable.