Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, of all the things to feel national pride in, playing a friendly game of hockey in a war zone is pretty far from the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Jordan Peterson is the bitcoin of professors.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

Jordan Peterson is the bitcoin of professors.

You'd be rich if you invested in them two years ago? I hear the guys Patreon is like #2 on the whole site now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Reince Penis posted:

US: Boy the people who voted for Trump sure make us seem like a country of idiots

Canada: Hold my beer eh?

https://twitter.com/urbantoronto/status/944186340635275265

Please explain why soldiers taking some time to enjoy a game of hockey while in the frozen hellscape of Korea is stupid.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Feeling the same pride holding a hockey stick as a gun is ridiculous jingoism. It's a terrible holiday sentiment.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Next time I'm playing shinny on the pond, I'll be sure to always keep a mental image of OUR TROOP in the back of my mind. :canada:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Reince Penis posted:

Feeling the same pride holding a hockey stick as a gun is ridiculous jingoism. It's a terrible holiday sentiment.

The point

Your head

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's cool and good to defend blatant military propaganda. Nice work.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus christ it's not military propaganda, you're completely missing the point of the story.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's equating the national symbol of a hockey stick, something every Canadian child plays with sometime growing up, with the guns soldiers use. I think you're missing the point if you can't see the propoganda there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reince Penis posted:

It's equating the national symbol of a hockey stick, something every Canadian child plays with sometime growing up, with the guns soldiers use. I think you're missing the point if you can't see the propoganda there.

You're an idiot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reince Penis posted:

No, it's really, really not doing that.

Did you actually read the full story, or did you read the headline and hurry off to post indignantly in the CanPol thread?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Duhhhh critical thinking how does it work

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

You rolled a 1 on your "I am the most left in Canpol today" throw and you follow it up with even more awful attempts at doubling down, you are either incredibly stupid or incapable of understanding the sentiments someone might've had during a war 70 years ago.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
How do you function IRL?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Reince Penis posted:

it's pretty obvious you don't know.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Reince Penis posted:

I get where you're coming from and I'm not going to say you're exactly wrong in principle, but I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The guy in question has to be pushing 90, I'm not going to be jumping at the bit to call him imperialist scum for having a fond memory of having some harmless fun where no one got hurt or shot in a war 60 years ago.

Yes, it's propaganda, but it's also such a minor example it barely ranks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

Like, is your argument that we're still fighting the Korean War? Because the other option here, that you're equating it to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq is loving dumb.

Nobody ever talk about the lives of people who served in WWI and WWII, it might drum up support for some stupid gently caress-off war we're having in the 21st century

E: Since the timing is right, I want to bring up the Christmas truce https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce and how cool it is that people from both sides were briefly able to stop fighting and actually enjoy commonalities shared between them as human beings before they went back to senselessly dying in a war that was little more than an attempted power grab bought with human lives by their respective masters.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 22, 2017

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I can't believe there's still problems with the federal government payroll: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/phoenix-pay-problems-december-27-1.4461500

who was the poster on here who said it was going to be fixed like a year ago and everything would be fine??? it blows my mind that there has been no job action by the rank and file on this

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
War and hockey are both stupid so it makes sense to equate them in the Canadian mind

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well you see, actually the story about how it how it filled a former solider with national pride to be seen as something other than a solider, is about glorifying the military and war.

Seriously, this is like one of the multiple choice questions they use on English achievement tests to see if someone is grasping the meaning of a text beyond the most literal possible reading, and Reince has picked the obvious joke answer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I spent four years behind the taped end of a sick for my country and all I got was millions of dollars and a traumatic brain injury.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I equate a puck to a grenade getting shot into a net/foxhole and the subsequent red siren as the explosion/my best friends face being melted off

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

patonthebach posted:

You'd be rich if you invested in them two years ago? I hear the guys Patreon is like #2 on the whole site now.

I meant more than his most ardent evangelists are weird goobers and also he is a silly person.

(But you make a good point. If I had gotten all uppity about pronouns like an rear end in a top hat two years ago I could be rich now.)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wirth1000 posted:

I equate a puck to a grenade getting shot into a net/foxhole and the subsequent red siren as the explosion/my best friends face being melted off

There are no atheists in the net.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

infernal machines posted:

There are no atheists in the net. five-holes.

I mean...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

remember when Don Cherry turned an entire Coach's Corner into an extended rant about how Canada was being a bad friend by not going to Iraq in 2003

:bahgawd: WHEN YER DOWN DERE DA BAR AND YER BUDDY GETS IN A BAR FIGHT YOU GOTTA HAVE HIS BACK! YA GOTTA BE THERE FOR YER BUDDY

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

When your buddy goes to a dive in the next town over and starts throwing punches 'cause the owner looked at him funny, you gotta be there to help his rear end cash those cheques. Then you gotta stick around for the next decade while the patrons alternately rebuild and burn the place to the ground, taking a shot to the head every once in a while, for your buddy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is this thread a safe space for saying you hate Don Cherry??

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

No that’s deeply unCanadian.

He is awesome because he is a completely senile crazy old coot. I don’t often agree with him, but it’s funny to watch because he’s so batshit crazy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

Is it ever.

He is a racist hate golem draped in the finest military couch covers.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh, he's from Kingston.

Well, that certainly explains everything about him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Is it ever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think he wore a suit made out of my dead grandma's drapes once

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

On the subject of Don Cherry, at least this was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJp5-g69go

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Is it ever.

But it's nostalgic, because we can remember when a person like that was considered only fit to be an oddity on Canadian television, instead of the President of the United States.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

But it's nostalgic, because we can remember when a person like that was considered only fit to be an oddity on Canadian television, instead of the President of the United States.

Are you trying to imply that when Canada reaches its Trump cycle we are going to elect a Don Cherry led Conservative Party?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

From an actual serious job ad I saw:

quote:

About us:

At Myant, we are creating the world’s first textile computing platform, integrating technology directly into the one thing that we use every day - clothing and textiles. The sensors and actuators embedded within our apparel connect your body to the digital world, creating what we call your Digital Identity. This data is uploaded to the cloud and can be shared with those who matter to you - your doctors, coaches, other IoT devices, your family members - without you consciously having to think about it. Imagine a world where you walk into your house and the temperature automatically adjusts to suit you, or the lights adjust to your mood, or your doctor is aware of the onset of a disease before you even visit. The line between the digital and physical world is becoming increasingly blurry, and we believe textile is the next medium to bridge that gap.

Over the next 12-18 months, we are launching a dozen form factors that will cover your body from the neck down. This will give you continuous, bi-directional access to the body; creating an ambient link between you and others, and you and AI. Myant is looking for people who believe in our mission to make wearable technology truly ubiquitous and convenient, so that everyone can benefit from it. We are a cross-functional team solving big challenges at the intersection of fashion, electronics, software, and data science.

These are the jobs of the disruptive ~future~ IoT AI Big Data deep machine learning blockchain STEM

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

From an actual serious job ad I saw:

These are the jobs of the disruptive ~future~ IoT AI Big Data deep machine learning blockchain STEM

Our cyberpunk hellscape dystopia isnt even shaping up to be one of the fun ones. This really is the worst timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is the Bombardier C series actually objectively any good?