Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ague Proof posted:

Didn't his wife turn into Roy Moore?

Given how the two of them are dealing with losing, a pillar of salt can indeed describe roy moores wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would be shocked if Dems have the balls to expand the Supreme Court. What exactly would be required to do that?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^^^ Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

yronic heroism posted:

Idgi, if the extension would already violate the constitution what does the law add?

You misunderstand what they meant, the law reads as follows;

quote:

THE CONSTITUTION PART XII - MILITARY APPROPRIATIONS
Article I, Section 8 - The Legislative Branch - "To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years; To provide and maintain a Navy"

Specifically, this means you can extend a budget, as evilweasel says, without violating this. Budgets are annual things, so extending it once by the proposed mechanism (i.e. automatically if the legislature fails to pass a new one) would be permitted. The second time around, however, doing so would run afoul of this clause, meaning it would be unconstitutional to do so more than one time consecutively.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I would be shocked if Dems have the balls to expand the Supreme Court. What exactly would be required to do that?

Pretty sure just an act of Congress. They'd have to abolish the fillibuster if they have less than 60 votes though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

Actually I was proposing expanding it to seventeen Justices, impeaching Gorsuch, and replacing Roberts as Chief Justice with one of the nine.

Can't replace a sitting chief justice, he has to resign or be impeached. But there's no point, his only real power is the ability to assign cases for opinion writing. Impeaching Gorusch would need 67 votes but if they have that I'm all in favor (and would do that instead of expanding the court: why leave that power lying around for use with 50%+1; 50%+1, plus the presidency for a future republican admin when using impeachment requires the democratic party basically have ceased to exist?)

Demon Of The Fall posted:

A law, nothing more.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

Amendments are specifically not permitted to forcibly remove Senate representation, it's the only constraint placed on them other than slavery-related ones that expired centuries ago.

Although I guess you could argue that switching all states to zero senate representation simultaneously doesn't violate the guarantee of "equal suffrage"...

Oh huh, did not know that.

Although you could probably do two amendments where the first one removes the constraint!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Also, I mention this from time to time, but what power does Congress have to remake the lower courts? I know they can't really impeach a bunch of judges (well they sort of could, but probably won't) but could they remake the courts such that all the existing ones are responsible for various unpopulated regions in Alaska or whatever, and then make new courts, with new judges, to take over the actual judiciary?

Because they should do this, or something like it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

Also, I mention this from time to time, but what power does Congress have to remake the lower courts? I know they can't really impeach a bunch of judges (well they sort of could, but probably won't) but could they remake the courts such that all the existing ones are responsible for various unpopulated regions in Alaska or whatever, and then make new courts, with new judges, to take over the actual judiciary?

Because they should do this, or something like it.

I don’t know if anyone has ever litigated what hold “their offices” means and if it prohibits reassignment (it doesn’t prohibit splitting circuits though). But you can just pack the circuit courts without risking losing on that point.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/944276638178537472

So, who's this guy and how badly will he lose now that Trump has endorsed him?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

Can't replace a sitting chief justice, he has to resign or be impeached. But there's no point, his only real power is the ability to assign cases for opinion writing.
Isn't it just a separate appointment and vote to do so? I'm not referring to removing him from the court, just nominating and appointing a different Chief Justice. I thought I'd read somewhere this was a thing.

And the point is "gently caress you". It's a good point, and worth making.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

DeSantis proposed an amendment that would halt funding for Mueller’s 2017 Special Counsel investigation probe six months after the amendment’s passage.[74] In addition, this provision also would prohibit Mueller from investigating matters that occurred before June 2015, when Trump launched his presidential campaign.[75]

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

LaserShark posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/944276638178537472

So, who's this guy and how badly will he lose now that Trump has endorsed him?

Trump already turned Florida blue with the Puerto Rico disaster.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm sure those 300,000 newly settled Puerto Ricans in Florida will be happy to know who Trump is backing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There are varying degrees of functionality.

yes, technically zero is a degree

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

Isn't it just a separate appointment and vote to do so? I'm not referring to removing him from the court, just nominating and appointing a different Chief Justice. I thought I'd read somewhere this was a thing.

And the point is "gently caress you". It's a good point, and worth making.

Chief Justice is a specific named judicial office given specific power in the constitution (presiding over impeachment of the president) meaning the lifetime appointment clause applies to it. New ones only get nominated when the old one quits or retires.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Is this sort of legislation actually possible?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

evilweasel posted:

I disagree. I view a 5-4 liberal majority as preferable to a 7-4 liberal majority - it's better to have a "legitimate" liberal court than a bigger liberal majority. I don't see Kennedy lasting very long since he seems to want to retire, so Democrats will get their chance. If Gorush's seat stays stolen that's a smaller majority than they'd otherwise have, but if they expand the Supreme Court it is certain that the first time Republicans control the Supreme Court they will do the same. I would rather have a narrower majority now and a more likely chance that a future Republican administration is hamstrung than a larger majority now and near-certainty that a future Republican administration has no meaningful check on it from the judiciary.

It is not acceptable to allow the Gorusch theft to allow longstanding Republican control of the Supreme Court though, which is why either a Kennedy or an RBG replacement changes that. It's better to fix the Supreme Court and run the risk that Republicans unfix it later than to have Democratic control hamstrung by a Republican majority trying to write nonsense decisions like "lol we're invalidating all of obamacare on a joke of a legal argument" like four of the five tried to do.

It's worth remembering that there were only three dissenters in King. I forget that sometimes.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 22, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

botany posted:

yes, technically zero is a degree

Well by your definition has there ever been a functional democracy?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

It's worth remembering that there were only three deserters in King. I forget that sometimes.

That was after the initial joke of a case over if the individual mandate was illegal where all five conservatives agreed it was and required striking down Obamacare in its entirety and then Roberts blinked. It’s believed he wrote most of the dissent when he was going to have it be the majority.

King was 6-3 because Kennedy didn’t feel like continuing the nonsense after he lost the first time with a new attempt every year.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 22, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Welp better just impeach and remove Roberts for gutting the VRA then.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's not exactly an uncommon definition (it's also referred to as a Substantive Democracy).

There is not, and never has there ever been, a real-world substantive/functional democracy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

I would get behind that, that was a completely lawless decision that trampled on power specifically taken away from the Supreme Court and given to congress instead.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

January 3rd was more than ten non-sundays away from when Congress passed the bill, meaning that waiting that long would result in either a pocket veto (in the unlikely event congress adjourned) or Trump's only legislative achievement becoming law without his signature.

Article I, Section 7.

lol, I remember immediately thinking of that when I read about the january 3rd plan. "wait, isn't that too long? I'm pretty sure the president only has a couple weeks to sign it"

If my random unremarkable rear end immediately knew there could be a problem from high school civics class, its unbelievable that no one in the president's staff didn't think of it till now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I mean we could find a really awesome Enlightened Despot and figure out a way for them to live forever I guess.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/Todd_Gillett/status/944246412589625345

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

that was just a shrowaway shitpost, i apologize

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Pompeo has, evidently, stepped in it again somehow:
https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/944278448410853376

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Really to ensure a republican minority there should be a thousand Supreme Court seats and every adult citizen should be a free man living on the land District Court Judge.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Kilroy posted:

As much as I despise that decision and Roberts for making it, the idea of impeaching a judge because of how they rule in a case gives me the heebie-jeebies.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's hosed up that i'm going to get a big tax cut because of this because im the last person that needs it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

I would get behind that, that was a completely lawless decision that trampled on power specifically taken away from the Supreme Court and given to congress instead.
Is there precedent for impeaching Justices (or federal judges for that matter) because they make too many terrible decisions and are just bad at the loving job? Could that conceivably pass muster as "not good behavior"?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

America will never be a functioning democracy

One could argue that it was always meant to be an oligarchy/plutocracy.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ogmius815 posted:

As much as I despise that decision and Roberts for making it, the idea of impeaching a judge because of how they rule in a case gives me the heebie-jeebies.
They'd be impeached and removed by a democratically-elected Congress. It isn't the Wild West. This idea that the judiciary should be utterly removed and impervious to the will of the people is poison. Especially considering how unrepresentative the Senate already is, and they still had to bend every rule and hold up appointments for years to stack the courts, including the Supreme Court - no I think removing some of those judges (and at least one Justice) on the barest of pretense, or no pretense, is fair game :colbert:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kilroy posted:

Is there precedent for impeaching Justices (or federal judges for that matter) because they make too many terrible decisions and are just bad at the loving job?

No.

A federal judge gets impeached roughly once or twice a decade, but it has always been for being found guilty of some kind of felony or some kind of (usually age-related) mental insanity.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ummel posted:

One could argue that it was always meant to be an oligarchy/plutocracy.

Yeah, I thought from square one it was "Democracy for all*"

*excluding brown people, women, poors who don't own land, the filthy Irish, and other undesirables

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So the tax bill passed and we're all screwed, but because Trump is an idiot man child and signed the bill today instead of in January we're all going to realize just how screwed we are right before midterms.

Yay....? It's bad, but it's bad in a way that might make things good in the future. That's better, I guess.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

Pompeo has, evidently, stepped in it again somehow:
https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/944278448410853376

I'm guessing it's some particularly venomous way of reminding them The Reason for the Season.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Rigel posted:

No.

A federal judge gets impeached roughly once or twice a decade, but it has always been for being found guilty of some kind of felony or some kind of (usually age-related) mental insanity.
Well we're living in extraordinary times - no reason not to make some new precedent.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/learyreports/status/944282005696598017

My guy REALLY likes watching TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

There is “precedent” in some banana republic I am sure, but I prefer the rule of law myself.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 22, 2017

• Locked thread