Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Check /r/Bitcoin for the good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Looks like it's already starting to recover. Seems like there are too many die hard believers (and a few high level market manipulators) for it to truly bottom out right now.

Could just be the "bull trap" on the chart though:

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 22, 2017

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Isn't bitcoin so volatile because it spikes whenever people buy more and then drops like a rock whenever people sell? So when these drops happen, the forums are filled with posts of "BUY BUY BUY ITS ON SALE" and it spikes back up because people are buying again?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WarMECH posted:

Isn't bitcoin so volatile because it spikes whenever people buy more and then drops like a rock whenever people sell? So when these drops happen, the forums are filled with posts of "BUY BUY BUY ITS ON SALE" and it spikes back up because people are buying again?

I think you just described the stock market.

Granted that has a measure of transparency and if E-Trade gets hacked you don't lose all your assets. But the concept is the same. Can also apply to things like the McRib (except you substitute volatile prices for scarcity).

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Yeah but I guess the stock market as a whole is not as volatile due to the sheer number of stocks and stockholders. Bitcoin is small enough that the effect is exaggerated, and like one dude making a large sale could gently caress the whole thing up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
People say buy buy buy because of a phrase made popular by TV "Buy the dip". It is theorized that this singular phrase is keeping the bull market afloat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Here's some context for the other people like me that don't follow bitcoin too closely:

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/944048619174457344?s=09&

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WarMECH posted:

Yeah but I guess the stock market as a whole is not as volatile due to the sheer number of stocks and stockholders. Bitcoin is small enough that the effect is exaggerated, and like one dude making a large sale could gently caress the whole thing up.

I mean, it's definitely exciting to watch. Finance is usually pretty boring. But there are going to be thousands of paper millionaires who will lose everything. It reminds me of one guy who sold his company to Excite@Home for several million in stock that he was forbidden to sell for X number of years. Before his stock could vest Excite imploded, so he got to watch as he lost everything over a span of several months. This is going to be similar because when poo poo starts to go sideways, people aren't going to be able to divest themselves fast enough. Reddit is going to be full of sad sack stories as coin wallets see double digit percentage drops every day.

And then a few weeks later you'll hear about all the investors who bought their coins on credit and everyone's dingles will tingle some more.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

There are nearly 300,000 unconfirmed transactions currently waiting to hit the blockchain.

With a 30% drop, you can bet the margin calls have started. They may precipitate a selloff dive if the exchanges don't decide to up and stop trading again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Heh this is bitcoin, a 30% dive is just another Thursday.

Shits going to get hilarious when BitFinex shuts down though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

There are nearly 300,000 unconfirmed transactions currently waiting to hit the blockchain.

With a 30% drop, you can bet the margin calls have started. They may precipitate a selloff dive if the exchanges don't decide to up and stop trading again.

What does this mean, exactly? It looks like there are $700,000 in transaction fees just waiting to hit? How far from normal is this?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nocheez posted:

What does this mean, exactly? It looks like there are $700,000 in transaction fees just waiting to hit? How far from normal is this?

The blockchain is slow, so there will be transactions made now that won’t process for 20 hours.

Edit, 26 hours, I calculated wrong at 3 transactions per second.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Or longer, if the sender didn't include enough of a fee.

Because transactions are prioritized by how much the sender pays, so you can jump the line by paying more. This is a feature.

What's the transaction fee at these days? About $20?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Jesus, what a bloodbath. Oh well.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

It seems to be fluctuating between $30 and $50 these days to get a transaction through in anything resembling a human timescale.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nocheez posted:

I live near the border between 2 states, and the state to the south has much cheaper taxes on gasoline. I've known people who will drive their gas guzzler 40 miles round trip to save $.25/gal. Assuming they are getting 15 mpg and they are filling up 25 gallons, they were actually wasting an hour+ driving back and forth to basically come out even.
It's really nice when commuting to work in the southern Carolina and filling up on the way home to the northern Carolina.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I am mostly enjoying the Bitcoin show but at what point does mining with these transaction fees become GWM.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

People with real jobs generally don't post when they fill up their car with gas like it's a big achievement...

That looks like its some sort of debit card they put your paycheck on like wal-mart. I bet that thing has all the hidden fees.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I remember hearing somewhere that if your doctor starts recommending an investment, you know it's time to get out.

It started a few weeks ago here.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that if your doctor starts recommending an investment, you know it's time to get out.

One of my partners is reading a book on blockchain investing, and my Facebook dad doc group has been blowing up with what coins to buy. The end is nigh

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Doctors are loving retarded financially. Possibly just in general.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BattleMoose posted:

I am mostly enjoying the Bitcoin show but at what point does mining with these transaction fees become GWM.

Never. The computing power (and thus energy) you need to mine adjusts every two weeks or so so that a block is mined every 10 minutes on average.

People with faster computer mine more blocks so get more money, so if you're not constantly increasing your computing power you're going to lose out rapidly.

The transaction fee is metered and paid out in bitcoin so it scales with the price of bitcoin.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Never. The computing power (and thus energy) you need to mine adjusts every two weeks or so so that a block is mined every 10 minutes on average.

People with faster computer mine more blocks so get more money, so if you're not constantly increasing your computing power you're going to lose out rapidly.

The transaction fee is metered and paid out in bitcoin so it scales with the price of bitcoin.

And you are competing with people who don't pay for power. (People where their parents/work pays the bill, they are stealing it, etc.) Plus bitcoin never actually ran the math on becoming a world currency, so things like the blockchain running out of transaction space (see: bitcoin cash) or the minimum transaction size being a fixed floating point number (the "satoshi" or whatever, which is now $20.)

When did it make sense to mine? >5 years ago.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
https://twitter.com/ProudMoolie/status/944047003557945345

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

And you are competing with people who don't pay for power. (People where their parents/work pays the bill, they are stealing it, etc.)

It's not so much the people stealing power as the people who don't care if they're making money because they're just avoiding capital controls or laundering money.

There was a bitcoin mine in China that had its own small power dam for gently caress's sake.

Everyone should read divabot's book, it's great. Every time you think "no way that's true, that's way too stupid, that goon is exaggerating"... Nope, it is that stupid. It's crypto.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is extremely good poo poo. I can't wait for more.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
edit: poo poo talking about myself, nevermind

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 22, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

No one else panic sell until I exit my position tia.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

drainpipe posted:

I recently decided to dip my toe in BTC/ETH/LTC (in the last two weeks no less :lol:). It was less than 1% of my total portfolio, so whatever, I'll ride this out or lose it all in the end. Honestly, paying 1% to shut up everyone about bitcoin wouldn't be too big a sacrifice.

:suspense:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

BattleMoose posted:

You have to go all in.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

This is amazing....

my favorite response

quote:

Crypto Bubbles @bubbles_crypto
15h15 hours ago
Replying to @ProudMoolie

Hold for now but if it dips again, definitely panic sell. If your order doesn't execute because of network congestion, dump a litre of cola on your computer hard drive and this will destroy the coins you bought and you'll automatically get a full refund within the week.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

You have to go all in.

This better be called Stillcoin.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NancyPants posted:

This better be called Stillcoin.

He will know the ways of your cryptocurrency as if born to them...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:stare: "You wear your bitcoin suit Libertarian style! "

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Matrix robots were mining bitcoins.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The Matrix robots were mining bitcoins.

:discourse:

BWM: dumb money speculating on iced tea and other non-tech companies because they added the word 'blockchain' to their name

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

From the schadenfreude thread:

`Nemesis posted:

Longfin Corp bought a blockchain company, and the CEO went on CNBC to discuss crypto and his company.

Edit: further information copy paste: Longfin (symbol LFIN) just went public and started trading last week. Their IPO price was $5 per share. Right after they went public, they announced they were buying ziddu.com which does something with blockchain and this set off a mania in the stock. It reached as high as $142 per share which made the value of this very small company be worth something like 6 or 7 billion dollars. Crazy poo poo like this happens from time to time in the stock market, and there may have been some boiler-room shenanigans as well, but bitcoin mania is probably the main reason for this ridiculous stock price move. The CEO came on CNBC to say that none of the stock price's rocket ride made any fundamental sense; in other words, he was trying to tell folks his company was not worth billions and that anybody buying his stock at those prices could expect to lose most of their money.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

From the schadenfreude thread:

Bwahahahaha!!!

theHUNGERian posted:

You have to go all in.

"Just wait till we're bitcoin."

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 23, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

The apocrypha I heard was Vanderbilt [or insert other oligarch here] knew they were in for a crash when the shoeshine boy had stock tips for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The doctor theory is good. Never take investment advice from a doctor and never get into a small plane with one either.