Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

There's a guy from reddit who literally borrowed $40k from a "shady local lender" to buy bitcoin yesterday, at 25% interest. His plan was to sell when bitcoin hit 30 or 40k in January. Now he's broke and his first payment is due next week.

Please link this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The silly thing is that even if you know you're in a bubble, it's exceedingly easy to get greedy and set silly rules for yourself like "oh I'm going to wait until it's long term gains only" or "oh I'd like to see just a little bit more" and you lose the ability to make an entirely rational economic decision.

I'm exceedingly fortunate because my family is very comfortable so this is really not life and death for us, and I'm also exceedingly fortunate to have basically won a lottery ticket having quintupled my money so far, but it's still a loving bubble and I'm glad I never got really got TOO caught up in the mania.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Where is the sandwich now?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

lol I decided to clear my cost base today, because I'm sick of watching this go up and down, and Coinbase tells me my transaction will clear 12/29. Let me guess, if the price moves in my direction they keep the difference and if the price moves against me, it's my loss?

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't have an answer to your question, but why use coinbase instead of gdax? trades on gdax are instantaneous and i'm pretty sure that you automatically get access to it when you register on coinbase

edit: their website says you'll get the price when you sold https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1148738-what-price-will-i-receive-when-i-buy-or-sell-digital-currency-

try checking your history like it says

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh yeah there it is!

Wheee!

I've officially made more than $7K trading bitcoin!

Granted that's taxed as income, but it clears the entirety of my cost basis and I have more than half my stack left.

HODL now, I guess.

Uranium 235 posted:

nice :cheers:

yeah i'm trading only with profit now. gradually withdrawing enough to cover my taxes

yeah these are fake posts lmao

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, lolling again because apparently trading between different cryptos is gonna become a taxable event under the new trump tax law.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

There isn't a bubble! this is just the economy at work!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The maximum size of the crash is limited to $500b or so, unlike housing which was $Infinity.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

mine aren't

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh yeah there it is!

Wheee!

I've officially made more than $7K trading bitcoin!

Granted that's taxed as income, but it clears the entirety of my cost basis and I have more than half my stack left.

HODL now, I guess.

Same, but always $1K more than you made.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I had some coin lying around in an old wallet that's made me about $500, from a starting point of fifty dollars or so. It almost makes up for all of the time I've had to spend recently explaining to overexcited people why it would be a bad idea to empty their 401k into bitcoin.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

There's a guy from reddit who literally borrowed $40k from a "shady local lender" to buy bitcoin yesterday, at 25% interest. His plan was to sell when bitcoin hit 30 or 40k in January. Now he's broke and his first payment is due next week.

Now seems like a good time to invest in the knee reconstruction business, I'm gonna make a fortune!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=alternative%20to%20coinbase

:dance:

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

So you're telling me that margin betting on securities and mortgages Bitcoin has caused a ton of consumers to lose their savings because "it can only go up(tm)(r)"!

Well with this little stutter in the market I'm going to double down on flipping houses Alt-Coins.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bubbles don't actually need reasons to burst, they just do sometimes when the investor mix gets toxic. Hyman Minsky has some good books on this topic, under his Financial Instability Hypothesis. That classic panic chart comes from Charles Kindelberger, a colleague and admirer of Minsky's work. Basically, at first there are just true believers, then the "institutional" or hedge investors come along looking for something that could provide good value or even modest growth, then come the speculators, and finally the Ponzis.

A healthy financial market or asset is a mix of investor types dominated by Hedge investors, those who are not over leveraged and have enough return to cover interest and principal if they do borrow, and enough cash to be patient with price movements. Speculative investors leverage to buy into the asset and their return is enough to cover interest, but not principal, and they are counting on price increases so they can sell to the next sucker and get out. Ponzi investors are so leveraged they can't pay interest or principal, and they desperately need the price to go up uP UP or they go bust. Obviously, Ponzi investors go belly up if there is any price setback at all, and price setbacks can occur for any number of reasons or no reason at all beyond people "feeling" that the asset isn't worth the price anymore and refusing to buy at the offered price.

When your market or asset has mostly Hedge investors, a price setback is no big problem, and there won't be a major selloff or major debt defaulting, because those investors are still able to cover whatever leverage they have, if any. If the asset is mostly Speculators there will be more pain in a price setback, but those investors can at least cover interest on leverage, and hedge investor presence of sufficient size can help stop the bleeding once it reaches bargain prices. When your asset is mostly Ponzi, however, the price setback triggers a panic, because Ponzi investors are leveraged to the hilt and can't pay any of their leverage. Ponzi investors sell off and default on their debts, which starts cascading through the system. Hedge investors and institutional lenders who provided the leverage to Ponzi and Speculative investors get crushed by defaults and they too start selling off to cover their asses.

That's it in a nutshell. The most inevitable process in financial capitalism.

HSSSSS HSSSSSS WE HATES IT, WE HATES THAT WORD

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Astrolite posted:

no crotch bulge, voted 3

no OUCH! either and tbh its not that funny im embarassed i posted it in retrospect

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Fame Douglas posted:

Same, but always $1K more than you made.

Congratulations on your winnings!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

https://imgur.com/F9QdCL8

Except the same for 7.5 litecoins and 2.5 ethereum.

:shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

drat, RIP Hayden. You were truly the greater fool.

esky
Apr 15, 2003
Looking at the Coinbase charts, why are BTC / BCH / ETH / LTC so similar in trend?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Didn't work out because he wanted to hold instead of hodl

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
where's hammy?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

where’s that guy that was snorting at the chart prophecy

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on your winnings!

https://imgur.com/F9QdCL8

Except the same for 7.5 litecoins and 2.5 ethereum.

:shrug:

Your USD account seems low atm

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

temple posted:

where's hammy?

You don't want him back in here he's going to be insufferable once it bounces back above 15k.

Burt Sexual posted:

Your USD account seems low atm

lol if you think this money is going anywhere except back into my goddamn bank account where it has learned a very important lesson about touching the poop.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

esky posted:

Looking at the Coinbase charts, why are BTC / BCH / ETH / LTC so similar in trend?

Congratulations, you have discovered why "diversifying" your portfolio with altcoins isn't a good idea. If Bitcoin goes down, it's taking all the other coins with it.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
concragulations to everyone who made it out of that turmoil alive

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

esky posted:

because there's no pros/cons between them or any other reason they would react differently to any market effect whatsoever

it's the same exact people investing in all of them, thinking they're smarter for having a "diverse portfolio" or some poo poo as if all of them aren't going to crash if one of the major ones does

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

little munchkin posted:

because there's no pros/cons between them or any other reason they would react differently to any market effect whatsoever

it's the same exact people investing in all of them, thinking they're smarter for having a "diverse portfolio" or some poo poo as if all of them aren't going to crash if one of the major ones does

Bitcoin Sectors needs to be a thing. Like energy, dried fruit, etc.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Looks like it’s about time for that dead cat bounce

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jikes posted:

I had some coin lying around in an old wallet that's made me about $500, from a starting point of fifty dollars or so. It almost makes up for all of the time I've had to spend recently explaining to overexcited people why it would be a bad idea to empty their 401k into bitcoin.

This crypto bidness is all funny and whatever but if the average goon hasn’t made a few hundred dollars from this, just lol

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

In case anyone is wondering I'm going to use my ill-gotten gains to start a business, thanks Obama.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Back when it was all new, some other forum I was on had a guy offering 1mil doge for $13. I thought about it, but I decided a bottle of cheapish Canadian whiskey was more valuable. The doge would have been worth about 7k today, but lol if anyone thinks they would have held this long. I probably should have jumped on it as a lark, but I still think I made the right choice

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Sentient Data posted:

Back when it was all new, some other forum I was on had a guy offering 1mil doge for $13. I thought about it, but I decided a bottle of cheapish Canadian whiskey was more valuable. The doge would have been worth about 7k today, but lol if anyone thinks they would have held this long. I probably should have jumped on it as a lark, but I still think I made the right choice

Join the club. I bought $100 of Bitcoin in early 2015 to fund my poker account. The price changed so I was left with like 40 cents worth. I'm riding that till retirement

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow already almost back to 15k, that was faster than i thought. Man these crpyto markets are hard to predict.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

temple posted:

where's hammy?

quote:

Where is the sandwich now?

Hello welcome to the GBS bitcoin thread, here's your posting flow chart:

Has the price of bitcoin gone up?
Post how that's proof they're a ponzi bubble tulip

Has the price of bitcoin gone down?
Post "GET HAM SANDWICHES IN HERE TO EXPLAIN"

Good luck and please enjoy your stay in the wacky crypto land

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Good luck and please enjoy your stay in the wacky crypto land
When will you admit that you're Satoshi?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Moxxis Endowment posted:

When will you admit that you're Satoshi turdmeister?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

esky posted:

Because altcoins are pretty much tradeable only relative to BTC.

This is why coinmarketcap shows altcoin prices relative to BTC as well as USD.

Coinbase is one of the few that lets you trade them directly with USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I'm all the bitcoiners smug about how their store of value rallied to the point where it's now only down 8% in a single day. Truly bitcoin is just fine no bubble to see here please continue pouring money into this exceptionally useful financial instrument as per normal.