Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gaius Marius posted:

Can you not blockade straits anymore? I just had Naples slip 20k men across the Messina straits that my nanny was guarding and destroy my guys besieging Sicily. I really couldn't afford to lose those men over loving Corfu.

And where exactly are the Continental regions. I'd think holding the balkans and Anatolia would be enough to get the two continent splendor thing

I’m sure your nanny is a wonderful person but that might be a little too much responsibility for her.

You can’t blockade straits if the enemy holds both ends of the strait. If you can quickly take one of the provinces you’re okay, but you can’t just trap your opponents entire army on an island for an entire war because you have naval superiority anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Gaius Marius posted:

Can you not blockade straits anymore? I just had Naples slip 20k men across the Messina straits that my nanny was guarding and destroy my guys besieging Sicily. I really couldn't afford to lose those men over loving Corfu.

And where exactly are the Continental regions. I'd think holding the balkans and Anatolia would be enough to get the two continent splendor thing

If your enemy controls both sides of the strait they ignore blockades.

Most of Anatolia is considered to be Europe. It only becomes Asia somewhere around Antioch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I suppose that makes since for gameplay reasons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, you used to be able to trap the entire Ottoman army on Corfu by parking a single cog in the Adriatic Sea. It was a little silly.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I know dulkadir specifically has one Asian province, it's southwest one, if you're starting out in that immediate area and looking for a quick one (aka ottomans, another beylik.)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm watching some DDRJake on youtube, and I've heard him talking about a point where debasing becomes profitable. What point is that? Or has that been fixed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Technically debasing currency is always profitable as long as you have passive corruption reduction modifiers, or you just don't care about the corruption. Paying it off with the slider just makes it go away faster.

Debase your currency and max out your corruption slider. Take the monthly cost, multiply it by 24, and divide it by one plus your passive corruption reduction. If the result is less than the amount you get from debasing, then paying it off with the slider is profitable. Having high trade efficiency from tech increases the amount you get from debasing, while having high average autonomy and high passive corruption reduction modifiers reduces the cost.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Hmm Portugal what are you doing?

Not sure what happened but I guess Portugal converted to Sunni after they got a PU on Castille? Or did some Sunni nation form Portugal?

Anyway glad Portugal will come to my rescue.
This is probably a very stupid question, but what graphical mod are you using?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is probably a very stupid question, but what graphical mod are you using?

It's Translucent Colored Mapmodes, Thick Borders and recolored water ver.1.3, TBARW EXTRA: White font, Banner Flags, Stellaris UI Font, and Better Fog of War Mod.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, you used to be able to trap the entire Ottoman army on Corfu by parking a single cog in the Adriatic Sea. It was a little silly.

Now it takes one cog in the Adriatic, plus sending one infantry regiment into whatever the province next to Corfu is named for long enough to occupy it (don't have to stick around after that). Not that much less silly.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What ideagroups would you grab for a Marocco that wants to take Spain and also be a solid coloniser?

I'm thinking quest for the new world to grab the Caribbean and then replace it with expansion after a while.
Offence and quality are two of my favourite things.
Economy, innovative and administration?
Trade? Influence?
Maritime?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
A friendly reminder to all the cool kids that MapGoons is taking signups for the next multiplayer game. Be there or uh be a singleplayer guy I guess

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Affi posted:

What ideagroups would you grab for a Marocco that wants to take Spain and also be a solid coloniser?

I'm thinking quest for the new world to grab the Caribbean and then replace it with expansion after a while.
Offence and quality are two of my favourite things.
Economy, innovative and administration?
Trade? Influence?
Maritime?
If it was me I would take Defensive as my first Mil idea because it synergizes well with Morocco's lands at start, and because Morale is king, and cheaper forts and units are nice.

I need some advice (e.g. starting situation, good tactics in war with Spain, ect) on how to get a Morocco game off of the ground. I gave up trying a few patches ago but I still really want to pull it off one day.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ally Tunis and vassalize tlec and get an alliance with ottomans. That guarantees they won't attack you.

Attack whenever Castile and Aragon fight.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If it was me I would take Defensive as my first Mil idea because it synergizes well with Morocco's lands at start, and because Morale is king, and cheaper forts and units are nice.

I need some advice (e.g. starting situation, good tactics in war with Spain, ect) on how to get a Morocco game off of the ground. I gave up trying a few patches ago but I still really want to pull it off one day.

Kill Castile early, possibly while they fight France or Aragon. Keep your fleet on par with theirs early game and don't let them take Granada - either take that land for yourself (highly recommended to get a foothold in the Iberian peninsula) or guarantee/ally them or something. Kick them as hard and as often as you can before they get the wedding, prioritize provinces needed to form Andalusia and do that, nab some pieces of Portugal to get a stranglehold on Sevilla, colonize the desert south of you to get a border with that juicy western African clay and grab it while you wait out truces with the Iberians. Let them colonize then steal their stuff.

Worked pretty well for me, even got the Sudanese expedition achievement :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 22, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm at war with Dulkadir, and their ally Biapas, a tiny 2PM on the coast of the Caspian Sea. If I was playing Biapas in this scenario, I'd just say gently caress it and ignore the war entirely.

AI Biapas, on the other hand, signs a million military access treaties and marches their six whole regiments a thousand miles through other countries' territory to lay siege to one of my vassals:

The best part is I didn't even notice it because I don't get alerts for vassal forts being sieged.

I know that in previous patches AI countries were extremely reluctant to get military access in wars, but I really think they've gone overboard now. IMHO if a co-belligerent can't reach their opponent with a reasonable number of military access treaties, they just shouldn't join the war at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Affi posted:

Ally Tunis and vassalize tlec and get an alliance with ottomans. That guarantees they won't attack you.

Attack whenever Castile and Aragon fight.
I am always too far from the Ottomans for them to be willing to ally/marry me.
Castille and Aragon have never fought in any one of my two dozen attempts. Its like the AI knows that I am a player waiting to attack them. Castille also always gets crazy good allies, who, as we all know, will move heaven and earth to come invade Africa to defend their ally.

TorakFade posted:

Kill Castile early, possibly while they fight France or Aragon
This is my problem, I can never do that. The rest of what you said I can handle and is what I desire to do. Like I said above to Affi, Castille never fights anyone when I am sitting there waiting to jump them. It never happens. I have tried at least two dozen times. Finding a way to beat Castille is my problem, I can never do it. If I get myself into a debt death spiral I can fight them to a standstill in the first war but then by the time round 2 comes around they beat me because of said debt death spiral.

I've accomplished some reasonably challenging achievements but I can never beat Castille as Morocco.

Fister Roboto posted:

I know that in previous patches AI countries were extremely reluctant to get military access in wars, but I really think they've gone overboard now. IMHO if a co-belligerent can't reach their opponent with a reasonable number of military access treaties, they just shouldn't join the war at all.
:stonk: No you see this would make the AI too passive and the player could abuse it!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is it really that hard to give the AI even some vague idea of the difference between "ally which is feasibly useful in a war" and "totally meaningless ally who will never do anything useful"? Like, why are those two states allied, they have virtually no interests in common or ability to project power into the same region.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well I know if you're a subject and looking for independence support, you get a -1000 penalty if the country can't reach your overlord. But it goes for the opposite extreme, where military access isn't considered at all. i.e., Poland can't reach Denmark if you're trying to get their support as Sweden or Norway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spain, russia, and i make up then majority of the protestant league forces. so while we three have our armies in the new world/africa/siberia, saxony kicks off the league war cool. cool

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If you manage to grab Algiers then you get close enough to ally ottomans in my experience.

In my latest game I'm in a deadlock. They won't attack me because of fear of the ottomans but I can't attack them because they are all allied.

I can however take west Africa and the Caribbean and just try to build up.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I know a bunch of goons that are most probably coming to pdxcon in may but I am curious if there's some here I usually don't talk to? Let me know I'll make sure you have a shot to tell me to my face why my game is bad.
e: be warned though I am most probably gonna show you pictures of my hedgehog like that annoying distant relative you know that always shows pictures of their newborn baby.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 23, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Can confirm there's nothing like telling a dev to fix their game to their face.

Also, the venue earlier this year was pretty legit. I only saw one guy wearing both mlp and fascist paraphernalia.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ofaloaf posted:

Can confirm there's nothing like telling a dev to fix their game to their face.

Also, the venue earlier this year was pretty legit. I only saw one guy wearing both mlp and fascist paraphernalia.

Don't tell me the Wehraboos go.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Is it really that hard to give the AI even some vague idea of the difference between "ally which is feasibly useful in a war" and "totally meaningless ally who will never do anything useful"? Like, why are those two states allied, they have virtually no interests in common or ability to project power into the same region.

yeah like for example great britain does absolutely nothing as an ally. boom. roasted. the real reason is they ally smaller nations that they have cultural ties and good relations with, where in the smaller nation is in danger of being eaten up, such that they can intervene against the aggressor. if you have ever played byzantium you will understand

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Obliterati posted:

Don't tell me the Wehraboos go.
No outright wehraboos spotted. I was nervous when the historical costume contest was announced, but that actually turned out pretty great. Groogy probably would've won a prize if he didn't excuse himself from it since he's a Paradox employee.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finally got Ideas Guy in a pretty suboptimal manner. Fun run overall, didn't have to be too gamey or do anything drastic. Not super hard but it took forever!

Did 1.24 clear up the issues somewhat with Ming and MoH? I'd like to get the expansion in the Steam Winter Sale but I'm not going to bother if it makes everyone a tributary.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 23, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There do seem to be a lot fewer tributaries appearing in Western Asia. There are plenty in the regions near Ming, where you'd expect to see them, and the Mandate of Heaven mechanics are still kind of weird, but I think things are basically fine now

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah my analysis of the whole EoC system would be that although it still has all of the factors which make it bad by design, you are now more able to beat Ming and they might even start to weaken without the player getting involved, which makes it far more tolerable.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I have friends in the Swedish gaming industry and once I found myself at a AW with a bunch of devs from a bunch of different studios, including Paradox. I met some important guy from there (dunno who) and told him I loved the concept of the historical games but I could never learn to play them due to bad tutorials. He said they were working on it. Sometime later EU4 was released and it was the first paradox game I learned to play. Didn’t even take long!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How fun are sihks to play, and what’s a good country if you want to try and get it the event to convert?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

really queer Christmas posted:

How fun are sihks to play, and what’s a good country if you want to try and get it the event to convert?

I feel like the standard way is to just be historical and go as Delhi/Punjab. You can release
Punjab from the start as Delhi I think.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
IIRC Muslims can’t voluntarily convert to Sikh, so you might want to start Hindu.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skasion posted:

IIRC Muslims can’t voluntarily convert to Sikh, so you might want to start Hindu.

But I do recall having the option to convert to Sikh as a Sunni in an event when it sprouted up in my nation. That was like way back in 1.8 or something though, so things have probably changed.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

skasion posted:

Recently did a Uzbek/Bukhara run, and can attest that this has changed. I didn't look at the requirements, but in the "convert religion" menu I did have the option to go Sikh. (I didn't do it, as I had a few hundred provinces at that point and didn't want to convert it all).

I'll see if I still have the save when I get a chance. Will come back with the results if I do!

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
After a long hiatus, we're doing some new weekly multiplayer games Saturday 3pm EDT: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843933

And Tuesday 9pm EDT: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844413

Both of them are starting next year on January 2nd and 6th.

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009
From 00_religion.txt:
code:
	sunni = {
		allowed_conversion = {
			sikhism
		}
	sikhism = {
		allowed_conversion = {
			hinduism
			sunni
			shiite
		}
Used to be that only Hindus could convert to Sikhism without shenanigans, but that got changed at some point: Sunni and Hindu can convert to Sikh. Sikhs can convert to Sunni, Shia or Hindu. Notably this means Shiites can't convert to Sikhism the easy way.

This does mean that any Sunni nation can convert to Sikhism once it appears (1480 at the earliest), even Mali or Kazan. Might be an amusing gimmick run, or a weird way to get +10% morale and a lot of enemies to use it on. Also means you can go Sunni->Sikh->Hindu/Shia or Hindu->Sikh->Sunni/Shia.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sikh's biggest drawback to me is not being hindu, a top 3 religion

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Doesn't half of the "top religion" stuff mostly coming down to having a means of stacking even more Core Cost reduction though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Doesn't half of the "top religion" stuff mostly coming down to having a means of stacking even more Core Cost reduction though?

They also get +1 tolerance of heathens, this means that you get a total of +4 with humanism, which is really good, taking baseline heathen tolerance up to +1.