Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

we can't all post as obsessively as you do about yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pick posted:

I haven't looked in here for ages, and only ~500 posts?! Are webcomics dead?!

It's the natural result of BravestOfTheLamps getting kicked out of BSS by mod fiat. No one has to waste time responding to his shitposts anymore so this thread is noticeably quieter.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pick posted:

I haven't looked in here for ages, and only ~500 posts?! Are webcomics dead?!

yes!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Our long national nightmare is over

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A little while ago ITT someone proved that webcomics were impossible and could not exist. Now none of them do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Lone Badger posted:

A little while ago ITT someone proved that webcomics were impossible and could not exist. Now none of them do.

Now we just need someone to make a web comic backwards and we can forever banish them to the anti-matter universe where they belong.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
this thread is garbage, you're all garbage, you're all just trash

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Harsh but fair.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't know what a buttfair is, but I want to buy a ticket.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
webcomics needs a shot in the arm!!! thankfully, my new webcomic about a group of magical youths with glowing orange eyes who go to magical art elf college should really start turning things around. it takes about 1,033 storyboard panel pages to really get going but if that doesn't stop y'all from donating to the seven kickstarters i'll require to get that far then i promise i won't stop daily updates on my blog where my characters answer questions about themselves and lightly interact in a blank void!

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
webcomics needs something intensely weird and different that has staying power, there's been a few really original first chapters come out in the last few years but they've always collapsed by the third chapter and disappeared shortly afterward

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

australiar posted:

webcomics needs something intensely weird and different that has staying power, there's been a few really original first chapters come out in the last few years but they've always collapsed by the third chapter and disappeared shortly afterward

Tapas.io is a vast graveyard of "Hey check out this comic with a really awesome premise and/or artwork--aaaaaand it never updated past page 3. Oh well."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

australiar posted:

Have you heard the good news of Kill Six Billion Demons???

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

australiar posted:

We're still recovering from homestuck, we need time to heal first

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

Joe Slowboat posted:

Have you heard the good news of Kill Six Billion Demons???
ideally we need more than one going at a time to really stir the pot

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody here reading Backlash?

here's the rundown for anybody who ain't

its an action comic about one Leadfoot, who lives on the fictional planet Keyes, home to humans, demons, and other, stranger kinds of people. she knows the dark secret of the ruling Queen of the planet, and now has a price on her head.

Leadfoot seeks refuge with a witch by the name of Agnes, who runs an extradimensional speakeasy. Agnes sends out one of her agents, Alias, to retrieve her. things don't go entirely as planned.

she makes a deal with the witch. one wish, to be fulfilled in the course of indefinite employment as another of her agents.

it's a story about violence, goofy jokes, demon mafiosos, people getting hit in the face a lot, double and triple agents, and those aforementioned people bleeding from the face a lot too

i think its p good

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 23, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also any webcomic that is marginally interesting and still updates immediately gets cordoned off to its own thread to ensure that this thread doesn't get any traffic i guess

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

also any webcomic that is marginally interesting and still updates immediately gets cordoned off to its own thread to ensure that this thread doesn't get any traffic i guess

The exceptions generally being Poppy O'Possum, Monster Pulse, Kiwi Blitz and Bad Machinery, mostly because people are just too lazy to create a dedicated thread for each of them and fully cast off from this rotting bilge barge of a thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

The exceptions generally being Poppy O'Possum, Monster Pulse, Kiwi Blitz and Bad Machinery, mostly because people are just too lazy to create a dedicated thread for each of them and fully cast off from this rotting bilge barge of a thread.

There was a dedicated Bad Machinery thread, but it was decided to merge it back into this one to I guess get more people to read the comic? Honestly I didn't quite get the logic even back then.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

webcomics needs a shot in the arm!!! thankfully, my new webcomic about a group of magical youths with glowing orange eyes who go to magical art elf college should really start turning things around. it takes about 1,033 storyboard panel pages to really get going but if that doesn't stop y'all from donating to the seven kickstarters i'll require to get that far then i promise i won't stop daily updates on my blog where my characters answer questions about themselves and lightly interact in a blank void!

Does it have any hardship or interpersonal conflict to drive the plot? Because I hate those things!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

There was a dedicated Bad Machinery thread, but it was decided to merge it back into this one to I guess get more people to read the comic? Honestly I didn't quite get the logic even back then.

Yeah I thought that was dumb. I miss the dedicated Bad Machinery thread. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

australiar posted:

I think the main thing is people are really loving busy now. I mean I'm still sloooowly updating but I have no idea how I used to have the time I did to work on these things.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Does it have any hardship or interpersonal conflict to drive the plot? Because I hate those things!

The only conflict will be near-constant gay tummy tickles that subtley-but-persistently convey the numerous fetishes of the author

nine-gear crow posted:

There was a monster pulse thread but it almost immediately died from lack of activity.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Eh, it hasn't harmed it to be here, and apparently at least a few more people are interested in reading it from the discussion

Speaking of discussion, it looks like we're finally going to find out what hideous thing is hidden under Thistle's hood in Daughter of the Lilies whenever it updates next. A third foot, but with a face and lips

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am feeling a really solid Christian thing going there, with the One Who Is Three. With the solidly BE NOT AFRAID angels I am hoping we get equally old school imagery from her.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the scratch-out cursing keeps getting me
like, it's fine if you want to keep all the language pg, sure. but then just write the dialogue that way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of discussion, it looks like we're finally going to find out what hideous thing is hidden under Thistle's hood in Daughter of the Lilies whenever it updates next. A third foot, but with a face and lips
I forgot this comic existed! Did it ever stop being so generic?

Also, my prediction from the last thread, over a year ago:

quote:

I'm still enjoying it, but am kind of slowly coming to expect more and more that whatever Thistle's big face-secret is, it's gonna be either super cliche or super boring, probably both.

quote:

I think the only way this would be even remotely cool if she's an angel, but like, the "burning wheel covered in eyes" style old Catholic "be ye not afraid" angel.

Because drat that would actually be a really cool twist on the formula that would use Cliche Christian Theology Shortcuts in an actually interesting way.

And now that I've said that I've either spoiled the twist or set myself up for huge disappointment.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 23, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AriadneThread posted:

the scratch-out cursing keeps getting me
like, it's fine if you want to keep all the language pg, sure. but then just write the dialogue that way.

Yeah there's a weird disconnect in being comfortable showing someone get awful chemical burns but censoring "gently caress" or someone flipping the bird that I don't get. It's childish.

PMush Perfect posted:

I forgot this comic existed! Did it ever stop being so generic?

Also, my prediction from the last thread, over a year ago:

It's still a generic D&D world. It can't really move past that because both "D&D world" and "D&D world but MAH UNIQUE ELVES" are worn out at this point. It doesn't help that the comic tends to be a stuttering updater. Turns out having a separate writer/penciler and colorist gives it twice as many chances for delays due to sickness!

The characters are interesting, I guess, though the mystery of wtf is going on with Thistle is the only hook the comic has at the moment, so I'm curious if it'll pull that off well.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nah but they all get smoothys and get the guy at the counter fired for not respecting elfs when he misspells one of their elf names on the cup

(ps since y'all seem up for recs i am going to again plug My Great Real Webcomic Without Elves, http://duckcomics.world here are some pages out of context. let me know if you think it's any good, or if you don't think it's any good!)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know, you're right, the only place your comics should be seen is in a hand-copied, hand-stapled, hand-mailed product that never sees the internet, or indeed the light of day.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Mors Rattus posted:

You know, you're right, the only place your comics should be seen is in a hand-copied, hand-stapled, hand-mailed product that never sees the internet, or indeed the light of day.

Can I use this as a blurb?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually the comic is Good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

It's a reference to stupid poo poo FunkyAl has said about the webcomic industry in the thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah I totally get that, that was dumb.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
funky said something dumb as hell but imo their comic is succeeding at whatever it's trying to be, no need to bring it into it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FunkyAl posted:

nah but they all get smoothys and get the guy at the counter fired for not respecting elfs when he misspells one of their elf names on the cup

(ps since y'all seem up for recs i am going to again plug My Great Real Webcomic Without Elves, http://duckcomics.world here are some pages out of context. let me know if you think it's any good, or if you don't think it's any good!)

Your comic is cool. I hope you're feeling better and keep enjoying art

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

australiar posted:

Basically this. The majority of webcomics that are actually good enough to discuss generally have their own dedicated thread. Like that one demon killing comic.

This thread is more an aggregate for the smaller, less popular comics. with an interesting promise just don't live up to the potential, and there hasn't been that many new blood with a worthwhile hook in a while. People tend to not mention chaff.

There's a number of other factors, though, aside from lack of quality. A lot of people who want to do a webcomic just can't afford to, and a lot of previously interesting comics either stopped entirely, stopped being good, or in one particularly :psyduck: case stopped being a webcomics at all and changed format.

And finally, a lot of people who fueled the older threads are either banned or just not as interested any more. Personally, I haven't really been able to enjoy webcomics any more after a person I was patreon-ing decided to just cut and run with a number of people's money (including mine) instead of delivering the promised rewards, and just ignoring the messages of people they owe. But giving more details would probably cross the line into importing off-site drama.

I wish patreon did more about creators who do that kind of thing. :argh:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FunkyAl posted:

I generally dig the style but its difficult to parse in places. Which character is that in the second to last panel on the second page you posted? What order do I read the first page in? The desending panels on top the right are sort of skipped over as the pipe draws the eye from the first panel down the page.

Overall this looks like a cool comic please post the link again next week when I have time to read it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, I found out there's a Scary Go Round facebook page, and it some tantilising details:

quote:

It's the final part of Hard Yards! This could have been the last Scary Go Round, and it would have been a nice one, I think. But it's not, though it'll be the last dance for a while for a few characters. No break to comics this year; the Fishman returns for a special story next week
NO! NOOOOOO!

OK, let's continue.

quote:

before we head into uncharted waters with new story WEN-TACK on January 1st. Thanks for reading.
Right, considering the current facebook profile picture is this:

With the tagline 'prepare for 2018'.

It looks like we're likely following on from the Case of the Severed Alliance, since the Wen-Tack relief road was a plot point there. Also, presumably Mildred will get to play a bigger role this time round. Wonder which characters are being backgrounded? I'm thinking Tim & Shelley are the obvious ones, there.

And hey, gocomics are doing reruns of Bad Machinery! I guess Allison did finally get syndicated. Also seems to be going from the collected books formatting, so there's some new bits & pieces.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Your comic is cool. I hope you're feeling better and keep enjoying art

Tollymain posted:

funky said something dumb as hell but imo their comic is succeeding at whatever it's trying to be, no need to bring it into it

Hey thanks guys! Webcomics may be dead but I'm glad you guys like the one that I make

Mr Phillby posted:

I generally dig the style but its difficult to parse in places. Which character is that in the second to last panel on the second page you posted? What order do I read the first page in? The desending panels on top the right are sort of skipped over as the pipe draws the eye from the first panel down the page.

Overall this looks like a cool comic please post the link again next week when I have time to read it.

Difficult to parse is my middle name!!! When I do a confusing layout like the first one I try mitigate it a little by making it more or less sequentially unimportant which order you read them in. You don't have to read the sidebar before or after any other part of the page, it just exists with all the other events that depict the total event of running on top of a bunch of pipes and escaping a prison, if that makes any sense. As for the pig thats just porky again, I wanted to use color to make him seem way angrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Tracy Butler posted comics of her cat characters doing Star Wars stuff, and it makes me wish she'd relaunch the comic as a cat-themed adaption of The Empire Strikes Back:

http://lackadaisycats.tumblr.com/post/168901490293/uh-oh-its-a-star-war-i-drew-these-for-patrons

It would be the greatest 7 pages of cat-themed star wars comics ever