Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I thought the Dems were doing it because they literally couldn't whip the votes. The excuses keep changing

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/944250633514864640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

I thought the Dems were doing it because they literally couldn't whip the votes. The excuses keep changing

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/944250633514864640

Couldn't whip the votes in the senate to hold out for more than CHIP, correct. Some Democratic senators wanted to give the ongoing senate DACA negotiations until January to complete. That's basically been the coverage for a week now.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
hey remember back when DREAMers were being insouciant, unrealistic, arrogant, [surreptitiously checks thesaurus for other synonyms for "uppity"] little jerks for acting like Democratic support for their goals wasn't a given

loving lol

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Couldn't whip the votes in the senate to hold out for more than CHIP, correct. Some Democratic senators wanted to give the ongoing senate DACA negotiations until January to complete. That's basically been the coverage for a week now.

So in fact the Democrats don't have the political will to stand up to the GOP on DACA, because the situation will be exactly the same in January

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Dems were forced to choose between CHIP or DACA. CHIP needed to be dealt with immediately, DACA still has time to work with.

Chomskyan posted:

So in fact the Democrats don't have the political will to stand up to the GOP on DACA, because the situation will be exactly the same in January

That's a very disingenuous way of looking at it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
remember the tremendous pelosi-schumer triumph of Getting Donald Trump To Commit To DACA Before Tax Reform

and those goddamned CHILDREN who had the temerity to do anything other than gratefully worship them for the accomplishment of getting Donald Trump to say he'd do something

lol forever

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

remember the tremendous pelosi-schumer triumph of Getting Donald Trump To Commit To DACA Before Tax Reform

nope actually I don't remember that at all.

Are you sure you're not confusing them for Jeff Flake?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

nope actually I don't remember that at all.

Are you sure you're not confusing them for Jeff Flake?

I remember a lot of gloating in the other thread around the time of the last extension about how Pelosi and Schumer were brilliant tacticians and how Trump had been played. Around the same time there was also some criticism towards Rep Gutierrez for his opposition to the agreement. Now I guess we're pretending that never happened

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 22, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Here’s my question: why couldn’t the Democratic leadership have linked CHIP and DACA in negotiations? Both popular, both programs for children, both with ticking clocks. They might get blamed for allowing the government to shut down, but they have an easier fight than the Republicans on this.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ze Pollack posted:

hey remember back when DREAMers were being insouciant, unrealistic, arrogant, [surreptitiously checks thesaurus for other synonyms for "uppity"] little jerks for acting like Democratic support for their goals wasn't a given

loving lol
Hey why don't you quit your god-damned complaining about what Democrats merely say and focus on what they do, you insolent little poo poo JFC :psyduck:

Oh.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Democrazy posted:

Here’s my question: why couldn’t the Democratic leadership have linked CHIP and DACA in negotiations? Both popular, both programs for children, both with ticking clocks. They might get blamed for allowing the government to shut down, but they have an easier fight than the Republicans on this.
Because they're loving cowards with an army of starfuckers ready and willing to scream any possible excuse for their cowardice, right into the face of any jerk with the temerity to say "golly I wish these Democrats would quit being such cowards".

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Can someone explain quickly/simply why there's 2 votes for funding the government, 1 now and 1 in january? I don't know the details, but that article said, "the funding bill keeps the government open until Jan 19th", which seems short?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ventana posted:

Can someone explain quickly/simply why there's 2 votes for funding the government, 1 now and 1 in january? I don't know the details, but that article said, "the funding bill keeps the government open until Jan 19th", which seems short?

That's because they couldn't get agreement to fund the government for longer. Mainly because Democrats are refusing to do so until they get DACA.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Even the milquetoast Obama bro centrists of pod save america are pissed off at democratic cowardice regarding daca.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

joepinetree posted:

Even the milquetoast Obama bro centrists of pod save america are pissed off at democratic cowardice regarding daca.
I'm sure they'll get over it. Liberals are only obligated to polite outrage once or twice a year and they're not supposed to actually do anything about it.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/944294408106766336

Yikes

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

https://twitter.com/TooManyVances/status/944295590275399680

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/rulajebreal/status/944274030059769858

lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

I remember a lot of gloating in the other thread around the time of the last extension about how Pelosi and Schumer were brilliant tacticians and how Trump had been played. Around the same time there was also some criticism towards Rep Gutierrez for his opposition to the agreement. Now I guess we're pretending that never happened

I mean, it would’ve been a smart plan if they didn’t gently caress it up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hey, he's not wrong that thousands of black voters are responsible for his loss! :v:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Democrazy posted:

So when the government shuts down and CHIP is defunded, the real long term goal of republicans, republicans can then blame the democrats for shutting down the government and ending funding for CHIP because they held out for DACA.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You don't have to "give" the Republicans a chance to blame Democrats for something, they have and will continue to forever blame the Democrats for literally everything bad. They do not need plausible deniability, they will make something up if they have to. You can't oppose them by acting afraid of them pointing their god damned fingers at you.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

yeah thats not funny

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

sirtommygunn posted:

You don't have to "give" the Republicans a chance to blame Democrats for something, they have and will continue to forever blame the Democrats for literally everything bad. They do not need plausible deniability, they will make something up if they have to. You can't oppose them by acting afraid of them pointing their god damned fingers at you.

So you want to shut the government down and kick 2 million kids off of health insurance on News Years Day and an additional 7 million in the following weeks? Children will die because of that decision.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

karthun posted:

So you want to shut the government down and kick 2 million kids off of health insurance on News Years Day and an additional 7 million in the following weeks? Children will die because of that decision.

As opposed to January, when the decision is the same?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You can see the future?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You can see the future?

The decision facing democrats on January 19th is the same as the decision they faced this week. I obviously didn't mean that the democrats will make the same decision, but that the decision before them will be the same.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The decision facing democrats on January 19th is the same as the decision they faced this week. I obviously didn't mean that the democrats will make the same decision, but that the decision before them will be the same.

True. Except CHIP has been funded for the immediate future so it's no longer the overriding priority.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

True. Except CHIP has been funded for the immediate future so it's no longer the overriding priority.

The CR deal allocated 2.85 billion for CHIP. The yearly budget for CHIP is 14.5 billion. The 2.85 billion are supposed to cover the period starting on October 1st. So yes, it is just as much of a priority.

https://ccf.georgetown.edu/2017/12/22/congress-approves-cr-but-fails-to-pass-long-term-chip-funding/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well that complicates things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I guess the real deciding factor will be in January. I hope that the people defending the Democrats right now won't just come up with another excuse if the Democrats aren't willing to fight for DACA in January (and I can already think of what the excuse would be - that the harm from a possible government shutdown isn't worth the risk).

To be honest, the rationale for post-posting DACA to ensure CHIP funding is sort of reasonable on paper (though how reasonable it is depends heavily upon just how likely an attempt to also get DACA would have been to succeed), but what really makes me question the defense in this situation is the fact that a lot of mainstream liberals have come out against the decision to not fight for it. Like, this isn't a "leftists mad at Democrats" thing; there are mainstream Democrats like the PSA guy who also aren't happy with this, and these are people who will usually jump on any sort of plausible-sounding defense of Democratic behavior.

edit: The stuff posted above also supports the argument that this is just kicking the can down the road, and suggests that priorities won't randomly change in January.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Koalas March posted:

yeah thats not funny

It's a little funny.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
shutting down the government over things is stupid and bad and now that the republicans have thought it up doesn't mean now it has to be a democrat thing too. Blaming democrats for things republicans are doing is what people always say fox news mind control does to people, it doesn't need to be a thing democrats say too.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

shutting down the government over things is stupid and bad and now that the republicans have thought it up doesn't mean now it has to be a democrat thing too. Blaming democrats for things republicans are doing is what people always say fox news mind control does to people, it doesn't need to be a thing democrats say too.

Shutting down the government is a tactic and DACA is a good reason to use it imo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a little funny.

I missed the comma at first and thought it was a shootout between the cops and the seven year old, and somehow that didn't strike me as odd in this hosed up world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I guess the real deciding factor will be in January. I hope that the people defending the Democrats right now won't just come up with another excuse if the Democrats aren't willing to fight for DACA in January (and I can already think of what the excuse would be - that the harm from a possible government shutdown isn't worth the risk).

To be honest, the rationale for post-posting DACA to ensure CHIP funding is sort of reasonable on paper (though how reasonable it is depends heavily upon just how likely an attempt to also get DACA would have been to succeed), but what really makes me question the defense in this situation is the fact that a lot of mainstream liberals have come out against the decision to not fight for it. Like, this isn't a "leftists mad at Democrats" thing; there are mainstream Democrats like the PSA guy who also aren't happy with this, and these are people who will usually jump on any sort of plausible-sounding defense of Democratic behavior.

edit: The stuff posted above also supports the argument that this is just kicking the can down the road, and suggests that priorities won't randomly change in January.

The other reason some senate Democrats wanted to pass a temporary CR without DACA is because they believe the ongoing senate negotiations on a DACA bill might work. But yes, passing a long term CR or a budget without DACA would be a huge mistake.

And it would be wise to pressure the senate Dems who voted for the CR to make sure they know the base will punish them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XVcqZodAM

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

The other reason some senate Democrats wanted to pass a temporary CR without DACA is because they believe the ongoing senate negotiations on a DACA bill might work. But yes, passing a long term CR or a budget without DACA would be a huge mistake.

And it would be wise to pressure the senate Dems who voted for the CR to make sure they know the base will punish them.

So in other words they're idiots?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

karthun posted:

No, I don't want that, obviously. Me wanting DACA passed doesn't mean I'm just concern trolling in the hopes that children will die. I'm not arguing in favor of shutting the government down (though I feel threatening to do so is a valid strategy). I'm pointing out that your argument that Republicans will have the ability to assign blame to the Democrats doesn't have any merit to it because that has been a constant strategy of theirs regardless of whether Democrats had actually given them ammo or not.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, the lives of 800,000 people (plus countless others affected indirectly) is a small price to pay for decorum and civility.

• Locked thread