Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gejnor posted:

Day 3 of the Christmas Event that CA is doing seems to be a hint of some kind, possibly for their latest main game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pEfZDWBgk

This looks like ink wash, which was huge in China back in the day. One way of doing it is to wet the surface you want to paint and then let the ink flow through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I got the Wood Elves and Beastmen and fired up a an attempt with the first lord, his name escapes me.

So, uh, you start out pretty tiny and just have to raid a lot to slowly build up a force? Just seems I needed to wait forever before attempting to take the first town that didn't have an army with the garrison on it.

Or is there some massive mechanic I'm not getting? I played a fun Chaos campaign that seemed to just snowball into burninating the countryside without pause except after taking a major city to replenish.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Gejnor posted:

Day 3 of the Christmas Event that CA is doing seems to be a hint of some kind, possibly for their latest main game:

I'm betting Total War: Starship Troopers, where you play as one of several different mobile infantry armies fighting to clear the bugs, mormon colonists, and other aliens off peacefully annexed uninhabited(outside of natives) worlds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

I got the Wood Elves and Beastmen and fired up a an attempt with the first lord, his name escapes me.

So, uh, you start out pretty tiny and just have to raid a lot to slowly build up a force? Just seems I needed to wait forever before attempting to take the first town that didn't have an army with the garrison on it.

Or is there some massive mechanic I'm not getting? I played a fun Chaos campaign that seemed to just snowball into burninating the countryside without pause except after taking a major city to replenish.
In ME or TW1? In ME, both suffer a bit from the introduction of the climate system, which the AI can and does almost completely ignore. In both cases, they could selectively burn out areas to provide barriers or regions to safely vanish and it was generally a lot easier to wipe out factions because they weren't spreading everywhere. Also, WEs outpost system goes from being a benefit because they can spread everywhere to a huge disadvantage in a lot of ways, especially since it seems like they lost their very defensible maps while other races can expand into formerly off-limits areas, just slower. And same for Beastmen: in general with them, you wanted to sack outlying settlements a lot for cash, but razing a few areas to provide an area for you to retreat to lick wounds was a good idea. Its a lot harder to keep those areas razed now.

WEs get massive income boosts for razing cities while Beastmen are all about abusing their moon mechanics to ping back and forth between either full replenishment every turn or between huge growth spurts while you stretch your forces as much as you can. Similarly, their income mostly comes from sacking/razing areas.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
You can't really carve the path of destruction as the Beastmen that you could in game 1 without it getting immediately resettled, but you can make an alliance with the Skaven and burn out all their neighbors:

The awkward thing about it is you can get a military alliance with Skaven but not military access for some reason so you can't find refuge there. But at least the faction filling in the settlements you destroy are also going to be at war with everyone else like you.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

crime fighting hog posted:

An attempt with which faction? This doesn't feel entirely wrong for either.

For WElves, always raze, sometimes occupy. The small AI factions are all sitting on inexplicably fat hordes of gold. A few well tomed alliances cam score you as much Amber as dedicated expansions.

For Beastie Boys, just keep moving and lash out at whatever pops up. Minors are better at defending their territory because they only have the one town to protect. Expanding powers will collapse the second you look at them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Trujillo posted:

You can't really carve the path of destruction as the Beastmen that you could in game 1 without it getting immediately resettled, but you can make an alliance with the Skaven and burn out all their neighbors:

The awkward thing about it is you can get a military alliance with Skaven but not military access for some reason so you can't find refuge there. But at least the faction filling in the settlements you destroy are also going to be at war with everyone else like you.

I think the reasoning is "since you don't have territory you can't do a mutual exchange." Maybe a money offer instead?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Skaven confirmed, boys!

I've been seeing some good Bretonnia plays recently. Mainly from the Gobbo King. I always seem to gravitate towards the weaker factions because OP bullshit isn't as fun as beating the odds so its nice to see Bretonnia doing well.

I think Tomb Kings are going to be very strong on release. The curses causing target-able rampage is going to be insane if not heavily balanced. And if the healing is what I think it is thats very strong.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Goddamn pre-purchasing DLC. I thought for a moment Tomb Kings was out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just finished my first vortex campaign. Had to do the final battle twice. I hosed up majorly the first time. Allowed my dragon princes to get bogged down and mostly murdered in the lizardmen phase and got Tyrion mostly murdered in the DE phase. I also forgot about my air unit group with a pair of dragons and they were really late to the lizardmen phase.

I came back with the same army and didn't lose a single unit. In fact I don't think that I had a single unit drop below 50%. It was pretty awesome. The biggest difference was I discovered that after the first fight you're on defense and the bad guys will come to you. So I took advantage of the terrain and moved my whole army up the hill where the Skaven originally spawn forcing any additional reinforcements to walk up the hill single file. My sea guards murdered the poo poo outa dudes. I wish I had payed attention to the unit kill counts. Combine that with liberal use of the spells they give you and viola, easy win.

This fight was preceded by maybe my biggest TW fight ever at Eagle gate where the garrison and one of my stacks fought three Unknown Skaven stacks. The fight took like 30 minutes. It was impressive. Also preceded by Tyrion's stack getting lightning stirke ambushed by a pair of Unknown Skaven stacks and murdered three turns before the final battle. It cost me a fully upgraded High mage that had been with me the whole game. Shoulda taken the immortality trait on her.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

https://youtu.be/OXQwx1EolD8

Good dissection of the video here. I'm optimistic about the future, definitely.

goddamnit, everytime

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So, some random thoughts on Boyz will be Boyz, the Crynsos/Cataph collab overhaul to make the game "more like tt." A disclaimer: a) I liked Warhammer Tabletop, but have not played it in many years, and b) I normally hate overhauls like SFO and Radious. Anyway, I was playing as the Strigoi LL for Border Princes (the mod is naturally compatible with Mixu's LLs and Cataph's new factions, I highly recommend both). The first thing that surprised me is that I actually liked it quite a bit, which was unexpected given that most of the unit stats were apparently taken from tt rules and spat out of an algorithm. Combats are generally a bit slower, although not to the obnoxious degree of, say, those "historical" overhauls for previous TW games. When melee units engage they definitely feel "locked together," in the tt sense, and "tarpitting" high-threat enemy infantry to keep them out of the rest of the battle for a time feels like a more valid strategy. Missile units feel weaker across the board unless you are specifically making a gunline style army, but are still important for harass, concentrated fire on lords and monsters, and their effects on morale. Which... yeah. The most remarkable change to me is whatever black magic tweaks have been done to the morale system, which really feels more like Warhammer tt's Leadership value, rather than a slowly depleting resource bar. Units may break off if they're getting whipped, beaten on by a monster, or flank charged, but so long as their hit points aren't terrible and they aren't garbage chaff, they can bounce back fast if not pursued. The combination of all these elements is a lot more than the sum of its parts; battles between evenly matched stacks have a strong tempo of charge and maneuver, and getting good flank charges + discrete use of reserves feels more important. Resilient leadership means that dividing and breaking enemy lines, and killing or shattering their lords, is an important priority more than killing everything outright.

So yeah, I like it and am intrigued to play more. I do wonder how well it will hold up over the course of a campaign, and whether or not the somewhat slower pace (which isn't, like, molasses slow, to be clear) will drag it down. I would love to see some high level play by Turin et al. using it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wow, they really went all out with the live action Warhams 2 movie.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

To think the guy who made this almost got to make Dune.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I started my first Vortex campaign to test out of graphics settings last night.

Did it as Queek.

I took my first provience no worries, got attacked by pirates with loving mortars and out riders and had elves come from over the sea and gently caress up my poo poo.

God drat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

I lost it with the friar toad :allears:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this is a great rear end movie btw

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Ah yes, this is the good stuff. Making 9k in trade and 17k in taxes, and still running a deficit to pay for armies to defend Sigmar's thunderdome.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

next time: Part 3: The First Necromancer
AKA Elves ruin everything again

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So is SFO a good mod package? I used to like Radious in Rome 2 but I feel his stuff in warhammer is just too much junk and lore breaking with out actaully staying balanced

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Internal trade really needs to be stronger. Also external trade should increase more per turn that trade is active.

Trade is one of the weaker things in this game but I do like what they decided to do with the Rome II expansion regarding trade.

I want that carried over here.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

So is SFO a good mod package? I used to like Radious in Rome 2 but I feel his stuff in warhammer is just too much junk and lore breaking with out actaully staying balanced

Both SFO and radious claim to be lore friendly, neither really are.

They are both good. As someone put it earlier

Radious believes all races are equal
SFO does not

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

really great music in the latest tomb kings teaser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYVCei33GaI

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

I started my first Vortex campaign to test out of graphics settings last night.

Did it as Queek.

I took my first provience no worries, got attacked by pirates with loving mortars and out riders and had elves come from over the sea and gently caress up my poo poo.

God drat.

I had the same happen. I had the 3 cities for the first province, used my biggest stack and got wiped out by those pirates. Pirates attacked and sacked the coastal settlement. Lizards that I NAP'd instantly b-like and take the settlement. gently caress

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Both those mods are kinda silly to be honest.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Amuys posted:

Both those mods are kinda silly to be honest.

How so?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Radious adds in a bunch of units to even out what certain races are missing then adds more on top of that.

By the end, a lot of people feel that they can do everything, which they can, but their strengths are generally the same for what they were good at.

It changes the buildings a bit, letting larger town halls recruit some units, and improves trade.

The best thing about either mod is that it is just that one mod you need instead of 10-20 that do the same thing, so it is easier to manage.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

really great music in the latest tomb kings teaser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYVCei33GaI

why isn't this actually in their trailers yet

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gridlocked posted:

I'm really enjoying SFO. It only adds a few new units for each faction, and few of those units are game breaking in my opinion. The only real 'homogenizing' factor with SFO is that each race gets some kind of 'honor guard' equivalent (very high cost/upkeep/small unit size/high stats). I actually find these very useful for sieges since they can scale/fight on walls which most large units cannot. Many buildings have maluses so there's a bit more thought needed into how you want to set up a given province (a 'money' province will have issues with public order and a 'recruitment' province will have issues with growth/income). The AI also tends to be more aggressive which means you actually can engage them more often. A few other buildings unlock basic units so the AI won't have as wonky setups as they do in stock. I've found that SFO makes the game one difficulty tier harder based on all the added stuff which the AI definitely uses to its advantage.

SFO is also compatible with Brutal Battles, other Skill mods, Rebanner, Formations, and a few others. They also tend to update extremely quickly when there is a patch.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Playing Greenskins on ladder is a blast, especially against Skaven or HElves. Dark elves I kind of dread and Lizardmen is winnable but a slog (there will be two carnosaurs every single time). It’s bringing me appreciation for some of their real lovely units, like wolf rider archers. I can’t figure out what the hell the teef robbers are supposed to do, though.

The other thing I can’t figure out is how to beat Dwarfs. Fighting those guys sucks! Are you supposed to stack gobbos and trolls? Even more Black Orcs? I had a match I thought I was winning handily turn into Thorgrim and two of his buds laugh and route 700 or so night goblins.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Playing Greenskins on ladder is a blast, especially against Skaven or HElves. Dark elves I kind of dread and Lizardmen is winnable but a slog (there will be two carnosaurs every single time). It’s bringing me appreciation for some of their real lovely units, like wolf rider archers. I can’t figure out what the hell the teef robbers are supposed to do, though.

The other thing I can’t figure out is how to beat Dwarfs. Fighting those guys sucks! Are you supposed to stack gobbos and trolls? Even more Black Orcs? I had a match I thought I was winning handily turn into Thorgrim and two of his buds laugh and route 700 or so night goblins.
I don't think there's any reason to bring Night Gobbos over Nasty Skulkers against Dwarfs and Chaos.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Isn't there an all-stalk, all-poison, all-vanguard gobbo gimmick army build out there that is actually viable?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Kind of? Goblin builds are sort of anti-meta picks that can work well if your opponent goes all in on trying to counter Black Orcs or an 'elite' build. Hugely micro-intensive and not fantastic (you want some orc units unless you're going full meme)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I went to go play as beastmen in estalia and skaven are the best things ever.

Come settle this city. Come on do it. Oh look a weak army and a weak city. Hello +8 horde growth.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If you can micro, fanatics seem like they would wreck a lot of guys.

Then squigs, squig hoppers, and night goblins

plus skarsnik and large pal for stalkin good fun

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
SFO for Warhammer 1 was made by a Nazi in response to problems he'd found playing the game (many being "It's not like Rome 1").

SFO for Warhammer 2 is made by a team of guys assembled by a Nazi, and was thrown together as quickly as possible based on the template of SFO1 since they didn't get given early access by CA like Radious did (because Nazis) but there was money to be made.

Patreon pledges force them to add more and more stuff and it "fixes problems" that no longer exist in the base game. Like pretty much all big mod overhauls you can easily get the good parts elsewhere without the heap of junk accompanying it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the Patreon poo poo was what turned me off to em finally. They had reached a good point gameplay wise, but then unnecessary fixes etc struck.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
My first SFO game is pretty good. Playing Malekith, and at the start clan Septik was a serious threat. The unit sizes for skaven are increased which makes every dark elf bleaksword feel like the hardened badass of Naggarond that they should be. Burning head casts were killing 500 skaven at once and it all felt very epic.

70 turns later the slave economy completely broke my game and there's absolutely nothing that can stop me. I'm not sure how appealing 5000 sieges feels with the more powerful garrisons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

maev posted:

My first SFO game is pretty good. Playing Malekith, and at the start clan Septik was a serious threat. The unit sizes for skaven are increased which makes every dark elf bleaksword feel like the hardened badass of Naggarond that they should be. Burning head casts were killing 500 skaven at once and it all felt very epic.

70 turns later the slave economy completely broke my game and there's absolutely nothing that can stop me. I'm not sure how appealing 5000 sieges feels with the more powerful garrisons.

You can still roll the majority of garrisons through autoresolve in SFO if you bring along a stacked army.

sassassin posted:

Patreon pledges force them to add more and more stuff and it "fixes problems" that no longer exist in the base game. Like pretty much all big mod overhauls you can easily get the good parts elsewhere without the heap of junk accompanying it.

One of the reasons why I prefer SFO to other mods that add units is pretty much because it isn't overflowing with tons of poo poo. Like, SFO adds 30~ units, Radious adds something along the lines of 280~ new units. For what it's worth Radious also has a Patreon. Maybe you're getting the two confused?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Thanks for the beastmen advice. It's morghur I'm playing and it's starting to make more sense, though I don't know which units work best bet