Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sockingtonsworth posted:

I would like to buy a new microphone. I've had this one for about a decade. I really don't wanna spend a lot of money, i just want my voice to stop getting so badly condensed

unfortunately i think thats why good ones cost a lot of money..

any recommendations? do i go to ebay?

Sm57 is the only one i have and it's really good, it produces quite a low signal but it's clean so it amplifies fine. I've done a lot of voice work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

sebmojo posted:

Sm57 is the only one i have and it's really good, it produces quite a low signal but it's clean so it amplifies fine. I've done a lot of voice work with it.

I just bought an SM57 as my first mic, along with my first interface and first MIDI keyboard. Following my dreams :allears:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The SM58 is designed more for voice than the exceptionally similar SM57.

The Rode NT1-A is also a good budget option for voice (needs phantom power).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rode NT1 (the not A version) is just plain great and also ultra low noise. But less cheap.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

khysanth posted:

The SM58 is designed more for voice than the exceptionally similar SM57.

The Rode NT1-A is also a good budget option for voice (needs phantom power).

yeah, good point I should have said.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

looking to get back to recording. i would be doing one instrument at a time. i would never record a full band or anything. guitar, bass, vocals.

was thinking of picking up a ua apollo, probably the mkii quad. anyone have one? thoughts? everyone seems to love it from what i can tell. i have some questions if you do. namely, can i record a dry signal to my daw, then return that dry signal back through the device to use those plugins?

also looking to build a computer for this venture. i bought ableton for the free upgrade to 10 when it hits in a couple of months. any thoughts on computer builds? specs?

thanks for your help.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This humble bundle is completely bonkers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I can't vouch for anything else on that list other than Sony Vegas. I remember at my old job, using Vegas 9, and it was really great. I don't know if the 'music maker' software there is hot garbage or not, but that version of Vegas is apparently legit and good and not some weird limited edition.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I can't vouch for anything else on that list other than Sony Vegas. I remember at my old job, using Vegas 9, and it was really great. I don't know if the 'music maker' software there is hot garbage or not, but that version of Vegas is apparently legit and good and not some weird limited edition.

Yeah I should have said, vegas for twenty bucks is the draw, everything else is sweetener. but the stranger things synths and the effects are decent.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I should have said, vegas for twenty bucks is the draw, everything else is sweetener. but the stranger things synths and the effects are decent.

Can I use those synths in another DAW ?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Looks like its just a sample pack and the other stuff is all VSTS so you should be good to use it in Reaper or whatever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NonzeroCircle posted:

Looks like its just a sample pack and the other stuff is all VSTS so you should be good to use it in Reaper or whatever.

I figured.

So what's a decent, but cheapish midi keyboard you guys would recommend?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I really dig my Nektar Impact for auditioning sounds and it integrates with pretty much every DAW easily, just a quick install of the relevant package. My previous keyboard was a Novation which was fine but Automap is a fucker. How many keys are you after? Are drum pads important to you?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I just got my M-Audio Oxygen Mk IV and I've got no complaints

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I just got my M-Audio Oxygen Mk IV and I've got no complaints

Yup that's pretty much exactly what I want. I'm a simple man.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I'm so frustrated. I got my interface (BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC404HD) and my mic (SHURE SM57), and I've been having noise woes. Apparently peaks should be between -12 dB and -6 dB, but when I turn up my preamp loud enough so that me blowing into the mic or strumming my acoustic as hard as I can falls within that range, I start hearing really annoying interference and noise. Let me die, I'm not cut out for this. I'm using WASAPI as an audio driver in REAPER. Here's a normalized version of what it sounds like: https://instaud.io/1zcG (at 1.5 seconds)

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 22, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Did the Behringer come with drivers to install? If not and there's none for it download ASIO4ALL (free). Is the mic pad turned on?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I installed the drivers, the noise starts creeping in when the mic pad is off and the preamp is at 11 o'clock, with it on it's just too quiet. I still hear it even when I'm listening directly to the interface and it's unplugged from my computer, so I really don't want to have to use ASIO4ALL if I don't have to (since I can't hear audio from any other source on my computer if I do)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ASIO4ALL won't do anything helpful for the noise.

What sort of level is the noise at without normalizing?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Every Behringer preamp I've ever used has had noise issues. Maybe get a separate pre?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

-70dB, apparently? God, it seems very noticeable to me in my monitor headphones. Should I not worry about it?

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 22, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's noticeable because of the frequencies in it. Some devices may have noise at a similar level that's less noticeable.

There are definitely preamps that just plain do better, but this is fairly normal and reasonable. Operating within the specs of a budget preamp, certainly.

Useful signal will mask it out. Use gates, like they did in the 60s-70-80s when -70dB self noise was beyond state of the art even in professional studios. They certainly managed back then.

Apart from getting another interface or using an external preamp, a more sensitive microphone would also alleviate the problem somewhat.
e: or a CloudLifter possibly, as another avenue.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 22, 2017

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's noticeable because of the frequencies in it. Some devices may have noise at a similar level that's less noticeable.

There are definitely preamps that just plain do better, but this is fairly normal and reasonable. Operating within the specs of a budget preamp, certainly.

Useful signal will mask it out. Use gates, like they did in the 60s-70-80s when -70dB self noise was beyond state of the art even in professional studios. They certainly managed back then.

Apart from getting another interface or using an external preamp, a more sensitive microphone would also alleviate the problem somewhat.
e: or a CloudLifter possibly, as another avenue.

Alright, thank you guys! I appreciate it, you don't even know.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is it normal for a SM57 to sound really quiet? I have to nearly max out the input gain on my 2i2 in order to get anything from it and then in my daw I have to boost it even more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is it normal for a SM57 to sound really quiet? I have to nearly max out the input gain on my 2i2 in order to get anything from it and then in my daw I have to boost it even more.

I just normalize it to a decent volume, but yeah my 57 is pretty quiet. do you have phantom power going in? :iiam:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sebmojo posted:

I just normalize it to a decent volume, but yeah my 57 is pretty quiet. do you have phantom power going in? :iiam:

Nope. I'm wondering if I should look into a cheap mic preamp to run into first before the interface. It's not a huge deal but just something I was thinking about just now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Most dynamic microphones aren't all that sensitive and the Scarlett preamps are notorious for only having a relatively limited useful input range, compared to others anyway. They are more suited to the typical large diaphragm condenser microphone. There may easily be a 25dB difference in sensitivity between the two types of microphone, on (guessed) average.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I figured that may have something to do with it. I use the interface for voip stuff on the computer as well and noticed that my cheapo no name mic that came free with a mic stand sounds better for talking than the 57.

I may upgrade from the 2i2 eventually but for now it's fine as I mainly use it for guitar DI.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Just look into the CloudLifter. The 2i2's preamps are absolutely fine when presented with a decent signal level.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh, ignore the bit above about phantom power - 57s don't need it. Also the 57s like being quite close to what they're recording, so that might help - i do voice recording into a Komplete audio 6 and it gives a low signal but it amplifies cleanly in my DAW. Here's something i did for an LP. But a pre-amp is going to help.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 22, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hmm I'm using a cheapo windscreen fuzz condom thingy and literally touching it tenderly with my lips while talking/singing, God won't let me get any closer to the microphone without it putting a ring on my finger.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It's perplexing how SM and I are having the same problems in parallel. Go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow, I'll be doing the same.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

another thing to check in case you haven't is whether you're picking up interference. does the noise change as you move farther/closer from your computer? i had to straight up get a longer thunderbolt cable and move all of my recording poo poo a few feet away to get rid of the noise i had with my focusrite.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I'm getting real self conscious about my recording/playing ability as well, it's really tough to listen back and see your playing all over the bar. I assume this'll get better the more I do it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I'm getting real self conscious about my recording/playing ability as well, it's really tough to listen back and see your playing all over the bar. I assume this'll get better the more I do it?

Practice. But yeah, tracking is merciless. If it's rhythm that's the issue, practice playing to a metronome.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Is there any difference between how I should record vocals with a condenser mic compared to dynamic? I just got a Rode K2 after so many years of only using SM57/58s and I want to make sure I'm using it to the best of its ability.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Danyull posted:

Is there any difference between how I should record vocals with a condenser mic compared to dynamic? I just got a Rode K2 after so many years of only using SM57/58s and I want to make sure I'm using it to the best of its ability.

Be a lot more careful, use a pop filter if possible. It's a lot easier to blow a condenser mic out than it is a dynamic the way it is constructed.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I hope this isn't too basic, but make sure you've got something to feed it phantom power.

I had a client who wasn't aware of that last week.

v: whoops

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 31, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I hope this isn't too basic, but make sure you've got something to feed it phantom power.

I had a client who wasn't aware of that last week.
The K2 is a tube mic with its own dedicated power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Hey guys how's it going?