Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Maybe he's ill. I mean, I know that's hard to believe, but perhaps the water main car accident sepsis wop dop thing?

Space Narwhal says, "Stay frosty!"

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Isn't anyone else bothered by the fact that Ben is apparently no longer on the project, but we can't seem to get a straight answer out of him?

He doesn't appear in the studio holiday picture

:colbert:

I'm sure I won't get a wink of sleep tonight for worrying about that racist, homophobic, lying shitweasel.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sure I won't get a wink of sleep tonight for worrying about that racist, homophobic, lying shitweasel.
I know of a video you can watch that will put you to sleep instantly.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Isn't anyone else bothered by the fact that Ben is apparently no longer on the project, but we can't seem to get a straight answer out of him?

He doesn't appear in the studio holiday picture

:colbert:

It's just the pratice choice. You can : have Ben alone on shoot, or have the whole studio.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Please keep in mind: the door can kill you. Thus with crashes, you might need anywhere between 10 seconds and 10 hours to complete the first mission.

Don't worry, it is always on my mind.
In local chat I even put up a "LFG to exit my wankpod". I can't wait for them to put a more robust grouping mechanism in this game, because spamming local chat is becoming a tad tedious.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

thatguy posted:

I still don't fully understand why Derek thought the demo today looked good. I would say the Onion Knight was the best looking "thing" about the presentation and that still isn't saying much. Everything is just as bland, uninspired, and boring as ever. This time though not even space looked impressive which is usually what they bank on. That smear of a nebula or dust cloud or whatever looked worse than games I played decades ago.

I'm sure the music is alright but there are very few games where I'll listen to the soundtrack multiple times, especially not when aimlessly flying through the void of space for hours. It seemed more obtrusive than anything else to be honest.

I hope Derek isn't going soft on us.

It looked pretty ok. I can't particularly criticize the graphical elements, outside of the bugs and inconsistent framerate There was nothing noteworthy about it either. It was just, average? :shrug:

The real problem is that it was boring garbage.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

That was generously edited for humorous effect, hence all the "..."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/944349736307392513.html

That's a shame, the post "live"stream whiplash of Derek declaring "Actually it's good" would have vaporized the thread and been incredibly funny, at least for a day or two.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i said before, they had to choose between filming the staff or filming ben, there wasnt room for both

gently caress me again, just 2 posts under.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ben is the guy taking the picture.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

XK posted:

It looked pretty ok. I can't particularly criticize the graphical elements, outside of the bugs and inconsistent framerate There was nothing noteworthy about it either. It was just, average? :shrug:

The real problem is that it was boring garbage.

the real problem is that this looks like something that's been worked on for a year,m not 5 years with 400 programmers.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

SoftNum posted:

the real problem is that this looks like something that's been worked on for a year,m not 5 years with 400 programmers.

The first year doesn't count and they needed 3 years to hire, build the company and get up to speed. So really it's only 1 year of development.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

IMO the game basically looked pretty good whenever it wasn't breaking. But it wasn't raising any bars, it just basically met them. The game basically falls in with the general yeah ok range of, say, I dunno. Fallout 4. The character face art was weird to ok-ish, Ser Davos looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head at times.

But that's like saying a modern movie has good special effects. Of course it does. Every movie does and has for the past decade or two. Star Citizen has passed the "looks pretty good" test since 2013 when the first visual repasses were pushed out. The first Arena Commander reveals were great and a real step forward. There's a lot of areas where Star Citizen struggles visually, scaling and lighting are huge issues that it can't seem to figure out how to address, but there's mechanical aspects there too.

Looking good in stillshots and cinematic passes is the only place in which this project has consistently met the bar. 90% of the flight we endured was designed to act as a slow pass cinematic piece. So it looks good. Ok.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Lladre posted:

Ben is the guy taking the picture.

Yea I'm sure he's making a De Gaulle's Yalta. But lightning is edited, or else we would see his planet size shadow covering the picture.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

XK posted:

An hour and twenty minutes, to fly somewhere, shoot one fighter ship, kill a half dozen people, several of them with a knife, then unshackle some person we have no idea who they are.

That's nearly a feature length movie, and at no point did we know what was going on, or who anybody is.

Imagine failing a mandatory stealth section 50 minutes in the mission. No tonk is going to help you there.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/944379864861298689

quote:

I am going to do everything in my power, and will spare NO time or expense to put Chris Roberts in jail.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

So they didn't actually have a mission did they.

They had a level design and then they faked up a couple of script triggers and had somebody walk through the level.

Feels like it. This is similar to "Half life 1 first work day" with a spaceship segment in it.

Buy a Tonk.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

aleksendr posted:

Imagine failing a mandatory stealth section 50 minutes in the mission. No tonk is going to help you there.

You can already fail 30+ minutes into a mission by running out of gas trying to reach a destination on a surface, so what's the difference? Or maybe the box you picked up flies away and disappears while trying to place it on a desk.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thatguy posted:

I still don't fully understand why Derek thought the demo today looked good. I would say the Onion Knight was the best looking "thing" about the presentation and that still isn't saying much. Everything is just as bland, uninspired, and boring as ever. This time though not even space looked impressive which is usually what they bank on. That smear of a nebula or dust cloud or whatever looked worse than games I played decades ago.

I'm sure the music is alright but there are very few games where I'll listen to the soundtrack multiple times, especially not when aimlessly flying through the void of space for hours. It seemed more obtrusive than anything else to be honest.

I hope Derek isn't going soft on us.

If:
- You want another X-Wing/Tie Fighter/single player DOS-era space sim of choice in 2017, and

- This was presented as a "hey we're kickstarting this game, take a look at our bullshot reel"

I would be interested enough to add it to my "Let's see where this goes" list. The problem (lawsuits notwithstanding) is that this is after 5 years of development, there's not a chance in hell that this "improves" in either style or substance, and most of the bugs seen during the presentation aren't ever going to be fixed because they can't figure out what's causing them in the first place.

All this video does is really reinforce what a waste of time and money this entire thing was.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dusty Lens posted:

IMO the game basically looked pretty good whenever it wasn't breaking. But it wasn't raising any bars, it just basically met them. The game basically falls in with the general yeah ok range of, say, I dunno. Fallout 4. The character face art was weird to ok-ish, Ser Davos looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head at times.

But that's like saying a modern movie has good special effects. Of course it does. Every movie does and has for the past decade or two. Star Citizen has passed the "looks pretty good" test since 2013 when the first visual repasses were pushed out. The first Arena Commander reveals were great and a real step forward. There's a lot of areas where Star Citizen struggles visually, scaling and lighting are huge issues that it can't seem to figure out how to address, but there's mechanical aspects there too.

Looking good in stillshots and cinematic passes is the only place in which this project has consistently met the bar. 90% of the flight we endured was designed to act as a slow pass cinematic piece. So it looks good. Ok.

I agree here. There is a certain bar for graphics people basically expect these days. OK, so Star Citizen more or less hits it - congratulations, I guess, you've met the absolute minimum requirements for one aspect of making a game.

And an aspect that's optional, at that.

The best part for me, visually, was when the commando went down the vent to stealth around the shooty part of the level. I liked the lighting effects with the smoke and the ventilation fans. Too bad the game itself was lovely, boring, unimmersive, and unmoving. Nice screenshot generator though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

I agree here. There is a certain bar for graphics people basically expect these days. OK, so Star Citizen more or less hits it - congratulations, I guess, you've met the absolute minimum requirements for one aspect of making a game.

At the expense of janky framerate, even in the completely single player game (can't blame that one on netcode) on what's likely the hands-down best top of the line computer money can buy in TYOOL 2017

but I'm sure they can optimize that out

they won't be able to optimize that out

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That is one thing worth mentioning! The transitions still absolutely suck rear end. Entering and exiting vehicles remains an absolute nightmare of jank even within the absolutely controlled environment of this trailer.

From a lay perspective the UI and other design elements aren't worth discussing. They're objectively bad.

Sarsapariller posted:

So they didn't actually have a mission did they.

They had a level design and then they faked up a couple of script triggers and had somebody walk through the level.

They reached the tickle portion.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

what i dont get is all the people saying crobbler is bringing us back to a golden age of gaming with any of this poo poo.

do they not remember the golden age of gaming? the long walking poo poo started with half life 1, which used it effectively AND SPARINGLY, but HL1 post-dates any of the wing commander games.

classic gaming was skipable cutscenes, straight into gameplay. All of this walk and talk poo poo is from much later, from games like half life 2. which did it much better, but STILL NOBODY ACTUALLY LIKED IT.

so is all the fake fidelity poo poo like getting up and taking a poo poo. I think the first game I saw where you get out of bed to start off is maybe AVP1? idk.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

They showed nothing of Star Citizen today. Nothing.

They showed everything of Star Citizen today it seems to me. That’s what Squadron quietly became. It’s not the standalone, ready for retail gateway game for different game, it’s valued added content only to be experienced with the purchase of the MMO game. What was envisioned as a box title is now DLC as a capitulation to that which should’ve been obvious before the split (there is no meaningful demand), as panicked retreat both commercial (“welp COD made a Wing Commander game and there’s no way we’ll ever have combat that slick”) and legal (“oh crap now Crytek is going to sue us over the two games thing welp okay lets make it one”)

No, CIG hasn’t officially declared this because DRAMA but the groundwork is already well underway and soon it will be claimed that it was always just DLC for SC. Who could’ve thought it was otherwise, silly!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

Any movie with special effects is expected to have effects good enough to not be noticeable. I think we're at a comparable point with games, hence the rise of faux retro game, etc.

We've literally reached the point where the fundamental baseline graphic quality is so good that graphics don't matter anymore, at least as a primary issue. Even small low funded studios can make beautiful graphically complex games. Sure, better looking things, and higher framerates are appreciated. There are certain genres where high tech performance is always a big driver, like in car racing games. But, games where complex immersive mechanics are being flexed, high end pixel pushing is definitely falling to the side.

Chris is falling into the trap of super fidelity, whiz bang graphics. The mocap obsession is a whole other poo poo show.

He's made pretty pictures, but accomplished nothing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

XK posted:

Any movie with special effects is expected to have effects good enough to not be noticeable.

Chris I'm sorry that was mean.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

juggalo baby coffin posted:

do they not remember the golden age of gaming?
No because we live in it right now (albeit, perhaps its twilight years) and they don't play games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If this game came out at the end of 2014 as originally planned it would look bland and uninteresting. Just imagine the reception when this comes out in what, 2019? lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

They showed everything of Star Citizen today it seems to me. That’s what Squadron quietly became. It’s not the standalone, ready for retail gateway game for different game, it’s valued added content only to be experienced with the purchase of the MMO game. What was envisioned as a box title is now DLC as a capitulation to that which should’ve been obvious before the split (there is no meaningful demand), as panicked retreat both commercial (“welp COD made a Wing Commander game and there’s no way we’ll ever have combat that slick”) and legal (“oh crap now Crytek is going to sue us over the two games thing welp okay lets make it one”)

No, CIG hasn’t officially declared this because DRAMA but the groundwork is already well underway and soon it will be claimed that it was always just DLC for SC. Who could’ve thought it was otherwise, silly!

Yep it was a big fat old nothing (Hi Ben!) designed to save the furniture. Pretty ignominious end to a lot of BS and if you're right G0RF we should see things getting quieter and quieter as they go silent right before the getaway.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Also anyone who wonders what motivates some of this poo poo should just watch the opening to the original Blade Runner film and realize that there's this bizzaro obsession with trumping that kind of visual spectacle that is certainly not contained to the persons currently under discussion.

I swear that film drove persons with creative aspirations insane.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Underappreciated part of the stream was the announcement that they removed the structs from the luxury ship that sold poorly. Want a ship where 50% of your view isn't obstructed? Better open your wallet.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

kw0134 posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure some people at Amnesty International are taking notes for the case they intend to file at the ICC, they're finding this very interesting.

Amnesty International are bunch of scammers just like croberts. gently caress amnesty international they are full of retarded bullshit

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dusty Lens posted:

Also anyone who wonders what motivates some of this poo poo should just watch the opening to the original Blade Runner film and realize that there's this bizzaro obsession with trumping that kind of visual spectacle that is certainly not contained to the persons currently under discussion.

I swear that film drove persons with creative aspirations insane.

Then Chris watched the new one and that's where the yellow piss planet came from.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tokamak posted:

Underappreciated part of the stream was the announcement that they removed the structs from the luxury ship that sold poorly. Want a ship where 50% of your view isn't obstructed? Better open your wallet.

Maybe they should've had that part of the stream not be presented by Lando in a Santa costume while mugging at the camera and sticking a monocle in his eye.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is that out digitally yet? I was hoping to show it my dad but I wasn't willing to take him to the theater after the horrible debacle that was Alien Covenant, the worst movie I saw all year.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Then Chris watched the new one and that's where the yellow piss planet came from.

:gary: :yarg:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

I am going to do everything in my power, and will spare NO time or expense to put Chris Roberts in jail.

countdown to

quote:

No....if you actually read what I wrote I did not say "I am going to do everything in my power, and will spare NO time or expense to put Chris Roberts in jail."

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Spiderdrake posted:

No because we live in it right now (albeit, perhaps its twilight years) and they don't play games.

yeah i'd tend to agree with you. its just weird that all the poo poo they're crowing about is actually modern innovations, not some ancient 90s classic gaming before COD existed.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

XK posted:

The gauntlet has been thrown.

i'm sure with coutts and crytek pursuing their money roberts is going to be really worried there'll be a clown after him too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I caught up with the thread, and I'm about 10 minutes in to the demo.

It's poo poo. Everything is poo poo. The programming is poo poo, the characters are poo poo, the visuals are poo poo, the writing is poo poo, the directing is poo poo, the constant cut-scenes in what is supposed to be a seamless first person experience is poo poo, it's all poo poo. I'm so glad I got a refund.