Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Watched Dark and most of Travelers in a week and my brain is starting to melt from all the time fuckery. One of them will be in my 2017 top 10 but I'm still not quite sure. Dark has the superior cinematography, acting and writing but there are just way too many characters and they're all assholes. Less is indeed more here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The one thing that makes me iffy about Travelers is the memory loss. Both one of main characters having no memory of the season and the wife being wiped of an episode. I generally don't like memory loss in fiction, since it means character development loss. But I'll still watch Season 2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's an ongoing story thread in season 2.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Binged through Future Man, it was great. The first couple episodes before it goes full on time travel insanity are a little dry but after that it's fantastic fun.

I agree with the theory that the biotics are actually the good guys and the Resistance really are sewer-dwelling terrorists.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

Binged through Future Man, it was great. The first couple episodes before it goes full on time travel insanity are a little dry but after that it's fantastic fun.

I agree with the theory that the biotics are actually the good guys and the Resistance really are sewer-dwelling terrorists.

But they put people's heads on pikes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

But they put people's heads on pikes.

And also force-sterilized people. But it is a bit ambiguous given that the resistance are basically rabid anti-vaxxers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

And also force-sterilized people. But it is a bit ambiguous given that the resistance are basically rabid anti-vaxxers.

I fully support removing anti-vaxxers heads without a court order. But the pike is a bridge to far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of my favorite parts of Future Man was how they kind of left that matter unresolved and ambiguous. Like... I THINK the resistance are the good guys but I'm not going to pretend I feel confident about that.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I watch a couple of episodes of Father Ted from time to time to cleanse my mind, and since it is the season I recently watched the Christmas episode again. It occurs to me that, should there be anyone who's not familiar with the show, this clip sums up the basic premise and main characters perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3c2UcB1zQo

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 25, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Peaky Blinders Season 4 is up on Netflix!

Much better than last season, but still had some late season issues. Enjoyed it all the same.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Meatgrinder posted:

I watch a couple of episodes of Father Ted from time to time to cleanse my mind, and since it is the season I recently watched the Christmas episode again. It occurs to me that, should there be anyone who's not familiar with the show, this clip sums up the basic premise and main characters perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3c2UcB1zQo

The Father Ted Christmas Special is the single greatest Christmas episode of anything ever.

The entire show is the most honest representation of early 90s Ireland imaginable. The perfect comedy show.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Finished binge-watching Future Man and what a ride! It's a bit of a cliched concept, but the execution makes it be one of the best comedies of the year. The pilot is the weakest part of the episode, but episode 2 starts out strong and it keeps getting better as it goes along.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I rewatching Lost. Goddamn do I hate most of these characters.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Desmond is the only good character (and maybe Charlie later on)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Finally finished Arrested Development's run on FOX and tried watching the first episode of the Netflix run but stopped partway through. Is it worth sticking around for?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I didn't mind Netflix Arrested Development, but I don't think you'd really miss anything by not finishing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally think it’s worth watching for sheer ambition and how some of the long-form stuff plays out but there’s no doubt it’s weaker than the previous stuff and kind of a drag a lot of the time

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

Finally finished Arrested Development's run on FOX and tried watching the first episode of the Netflix run but stopped partway through. Is it worth sticking around for?

It's basically all or nothing. A lot of the jokes don't pay off until you have watched the entire thing through.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's an interesting tactic for comedy television

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah its p. good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I didn't laugh at all until like episode 4 of the Netflix Arrested Development. We had a watch party for it and everything and we basically gave up on it and started drinking and watching bad horror movies instead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to call Season 4 bad but I kind of wish it didn't happen and if there's a Season 5 I might just avoid it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weird. I think they're some of the best characters of television and the main reason to watch Lost.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked Season 4 of AD as a whole, but it's hit or miss because of the season's structure. Some characters' stories are boring and some are hilarious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can appreciate that the season was disjointed and uneven because of scheduling issues and how hard it was to make it happen. But since there's not really any great joke or anything I remember from it its hard for me to not come out of it thinking if it was so hard maybe you shouldn't force things. Especially if you're sacrificing something as important as "cast chemistry."

But like I also think there's something to be said for capturing magic in a moment and then chasing it repeatedly for a decade is kind of a mistake.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno how media didn’t pick up on this but Tony Hale posted a pic from the AD season 5 wrap party on Instagram about a month ago. So that poo poo’s happening.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you aren't watching for the characters, there's not a lot of reason to watch. I enjoyed the ending a lot more than most people because I cared way more about how everyone's stories wrapped up rather than solving every mystery.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Weird. I think they're some of the best characters of television and the main reason to watch Lost.

The portrayals themselves are excellent. The way the characters are written however. Good god

nerdman42 posted:

If you aren't watching for the characters, there's not a lot of reason to watch. I enjoyed the ending a lot more than most people because I cared way more about how everyone's stories wrapped up rather than solving every mystery.

I might change my tune as I go along. I may have felt the same way towards the end because I remember actually liking the ending. But these people are just loving assholes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can any of you in the US just check to see if the the bridge is on your netflix version please. I searched for it on mine and it comes up in the list of shows at the top but not is a clickable thumbnail so I'm guessing it's region locked for me?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Jippa posted:

Can any of you in the US just check to see if the the bridge is on your netflix version please. I searched for it on mine and it comes up in the list of shows at the top but not is a clickable thumbnail so I'm guessing it's region locked for me?

Not at this moment, it isn't

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Much better than last season, but still had some late season issues. Enjoyed it all the same.

I found the ending a little underwhelming but good lord Adrian Brody just killed it every time he was on camera.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I've been working my way through an old favorite of mine, Burn Notice.

Interesting show, it's basically the lovechild of Miami Vice, The A-Team and MacGyver. It's also a product of that era where serialized television was the hot new thing, but binge watching wasn't really a thing yet. Some things stand up to binge watching better than they did in the original run. Detective Paxson, for anybody who remembers her. She was annoying and worthless originally, binge watching somehow renders her both less annoying and more worthless, because she's actually gone pretty quickly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've been tempted to watch that ever since I realized the psycho Gerhardt son from Fargo S2 was the main character, but I have a feeling he plays a very different kind of character, which is most of what I loved about the guy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I've not watched Fargo, but he's really drat good in Burn Notice. He's a spy with a soft spot and some big red buttons you really, really don't want to loving push. Plus, he narrates the show and it actually adds a lot to some of scenes. You should check it out.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's bad

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate Burn Notice except for the bank robbery episode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

I might change my tune as I go along. I may have felt the same way towards the end because I remember actually liking the ending. But these people are just loving assholes.

Well that’s kind of the point of season one of Lost - they start out as a group of strangers who are suspicious of each other and gradually become friends.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Burn Notice absolutely hits an event horizon where it's not worth continuing (I can't remember which season), but it's definitely a fun little show for a while.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's kind of a weird show, in that the less it deals with the background story arc and the more it leans on the episodic "case of the week" formula the better it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Binging Killjoys! Fukkin love this series! It's the perfect mix of futuristic cyberpunk with gorgeous people shooting really big guns. But, and this is important, it has a really strong heart in the central trio. And a fukkin crazy beautiful doc badass character. In fact it's a pretty much a comic book come to life (we're bad, beautiful babes with really big guns! Claremont Xmen)