Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

You press on diligently, counting the steps that take you along the sewer until you reach a narrow vault a little over one hundred and fifty yards from the previous junction. An iron ladder, its rungs pitted with rust, rises out of the water to an arched stone door. Beneath the door, the sewer continues into the darkness.
Do we try the door or keep walking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ok, my curiosity is piqued by now. Try the door.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Keep walking.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer
Rusty rungs? Let’s try the door

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Ok, my curiosity is piqued by now. Try the door.
Well, let's see what's behind the door then.

The door is old and decayed—it has not been opened for over a hundred years. If you are to find out what lies beyond it, you will have to clear away the dirt that jams the hinges.

Only brute force will break the seal of encrusted filth and open the door.

Sewer Door: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE (RESISTANCE points) 35

To break open the door, you should follow the normal combat rules. Any ENDURANCE points that you lose during this ‘combat’ represent the fatigue you suffer as you hack and batter the door.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 32
Sewer Door: COMBAT SKILL 13 RESISTANCE 35
Combat Ratio: 11+

Wait, hold on. Are we using the Sommerswerd to cut through this door like a lightsaber or something? Yes, we are. The book doesn't give any special rules for this "combat" so normally I'd say that it makes no sense to use a sword to break open a door, but there's actually a precedent; back in book three there's a door that slams shut behind you and it's actually possible to turn around and hack through the wall with the Sommerswerd. So I see no reason not to allow that here as well. We're also using Mindblast as it's possible to skip this "fight" by using Psi-surge to "[agitate] the particles of dirt that wedge the door shut" so I can't see any reason not to think Mindblast would help in a similar fashion. The only bonus we normally get but don't get here is our shield, for obvious reasons.

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 31
Sewer Door: COMBAT SKILL 13 RESISTANCE 21

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 28
Sewer Door: COMBAT SKILL 13 RESISTANCE 12

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 28
Sewer Door: COMBAT SKILL 13 RESISTANCE 0

We had the option to give up and leave at any point, but I didn't think we'd want to let a door beat us.

The old stone door creaks slowly open, and as the dust settles, you find yourself staring into the crypt of Tekaro Cathedral. Stepping into the chill, stale air, your heart begins to pound in your chest; the Lorestone is here—you can feel it.

Beams of ashen moonlight filter into the crypt, illuminating a line of sombre granite tombs that lie like sleeping giants under the earth. Clutching the Small Silver Key, you examine them one by one for the lock that guards the legendary Lorestone.

You find the lock and insert the key, but you are suddenly distracted, on the brink of discovery, by the creature that is advancing through the sewer door.

Healing: +1 EP (29/32).

A huge, lumbering monster stalks towards you. It is over ten feet high with thick, twisted, hairy limbs and eight-fingered hands tipped by razor-sharp talons. Baleful, monstrous eyes protrude from yellow slits in its glistening head, and a long reptilian tail whips behind it. Its hideous and peculiar gibbering fills the moonlit crypt as it draws nearer and nearer.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).
Do we reach for the silver bow or the Sommerswerd?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I remember that door now. Anyone else here actually fall in 'combat' against it? Not my most embarrassing Lone Wolf fail, but it was one. :)

This new enemy looks nasty. Let's try to keep our distance. We have a Bow and we wish to use it!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Wait, hold on. Are we using the Sommerswerd to cut through this door like a lightsaber or something? Yes, we are. The book doesn't give any special rules for this "combat" so normally I'd say that it makes no sense to use a sword to break open a door, but there's actually a precedent; back in book three there's a door that slams shut behind you and it's actually possible to turn around and hack through the wall with the Sommerswerd. So I see no reason not to allow that here as well. We're also using Mindblast as it's possible to skip this "fight" by using Psi-surge to "[agitate] the particles of dirt that wedge the door shut" so I can't see any reason not to think Mindblast would help in a similar fashion. The only bonus we normally get but don't get here is our shield, for obvious reasons.

I had a DM once insist that my dwarf (wielding an axe) would break down a door by cutting a hole in the middle of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no0qB8CVspY

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

achtungnight posted:

I remember that door now. Anyone else here actually fall in 'combat' against it? Not my most embarrassing Lone Wolf fail, but it was one. :)

This new enemy looks nasty. Let's try to keep our distance. We have a Bow and we wish to use it!

If I recall correctly the previous Lone Wolf LP did indeed take a combat death vs. the sewer door.

I believe this was the first book I bought/played and I definitely remember walking into both the Amory and the Taxidermist trap (at least with Amory I recognized it as Roark's hometown but I definitely wanted to gently caress with him again and/or assumed I'd get away with it).

Didn't die to the door at least (add "skeleton key" to the Sommerswerd's list of powers & abilities)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We have a Bow and we wish to use it!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trembling with fear, you draw the bowstring and fire. The Arrow glances off its armoured head and shatters against the crypt wall. There is no time for a second shot. You shoulder your Bow and prepare for close combat as the creature moves in to strike.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

The hideous creature gurgles with anger and springs forward to attack.

Dakomyd: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 50

It is immune to Psi-surge and Mindblast.
We have five arrows remaining.

Dakomyd: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 50
Combat Ratio: 6

We roll: 10
Dakomyd: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 32

We roll: 9
Dakomyd: COMBAT SKILL 25 ENDURANCE 16

The crypt floor is crawling with the severed remains of the monster, which still writhe blindly forward with maniacal intent. Spider-like, a severed hand climbs your leg and embeds its talons in your flesh. (You lose 2 ENDURANCE points.) As you fight to free yourself from its vice-like grip, the torn pieces of the Dakomyd’s body gather themselves together for another attack.

Endurance: 29/32.
Do we keep attacking the thing before it fully rebuilds itself, or carry on with what we were doing before we were so rudely interrupted and open up the tomb the Lorestone is inside of?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Open the Tomb! Time to do what Lone Wolf does best and Loot something..

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Let's get distracted during a fight

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's a rare chance to get to loot something before combat is over so we shouldn't pass this opportunity.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer
Let’s keep our eyes on the prize and loot

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We have loot and we wish to take it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Open the door. This monster is tough, but we got it on the ropes already. Surely a little distraction like Loot will make no difference in the final outcome of our battle!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

FINISH HIM!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Open the door. This monster is tough, but we got it on the ropes already. Surely a little distraction like Loot will make no difference in the final outcome of our battle!
The Kai Discipline of Looting is so fundamental that the rules don't even mention it.

As the door creaks open, a sun-like radiance pours from the tomb and floods the crypt with golden light, its searing intensity paralysing the Dakomyd. You grasp the Lorestone and your senses reel with newfound wisdom and strength. Instinctively, you raise your weapon and strike the monster at the base of its hideous skull. It shrieks and dies instantly. (Remember to erase the Small Silver Key from your Action Chart.)

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).

Before your eyes the Dakomyd’s skin ripples as if a wave were washing beneath its skin. Suddenly a criss-cross of wrinkles appears, and layers of transparent bone peel and fall from its shell-like skull. Its body becomes hunched, shrinking and folding by the second, until all that is left is a film of dust on the floor of the crypt. Time has at last caught up with this ancient terror.

As the golden light begins to fade, you stare at the object of your quest—the Lorestone of Varetta. But all that you hold in your hand is a hollow sphere of glass, transparent and unremarkable to look at.

Your quest has succeeded, for the power of the Lorestone has been transfused into your body and mind. Its strength and wisdom is now a part of you, and the transfusion signals the beginning of a new and deadly challenge on your quest for the Magnakai.

But be warned! The quest will draw you into a sinister realm where a malicious and terrible evil has grown in power since Sun Eagle first completed the Magnakai quest. If you possess the courage of a true Kai Master, the challenge and the quest await you in Book 7 of the Lone Wolf series entitled:

Castle Death

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final stats for book six:

Combat Skill: 33 (18)
    Endurance Points: 31/32 (28)

Kai/Magnakai Disciplines
  1. Weaponmastery (+3 CS w/ bows, swords & warhammers)
    Weaponskill (+2 CS w/ spears)
  2. Huntmastery
  3. Invisibility
  4. Animal Kinship
  5. Healing (Regain 1 EP per section)
  6. Mindblast (+2 CS)
  7. Sixth Sense
  8. Mindshield
  9. Mind Over Matter
  10. Tracking
    Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS)
  2. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
    Gold Crowns (money): 8
    Backpack:
  1. Alether Berries (+2 CS)
  2. Alether Berries (+2 CS)
  3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  5. Potion of Laumspur (+5 EP)
  6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. Map of Tekaro
    Special Items:
  • Gaoler's Keys
  • Three Copper Keys
  • Map of the Lastlands
  • Helmet (+2 EP)
  • Shield (+2 CS)
  • Map of Kalte
  • Firesphere
  • Blue Stone Triangle
  • Diamond
  • Ornate Silver Key
  • Map of Southern Sommerlund
  • Badge of Rank
  • Scroll
  • Map of Vassagonia
  • Prism
  • Brass Whistle
  • Map of the Stornlands
  • Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP)
  • Quiver (Five Arrows)
  • Brass Whistle
  • Cess
  • Ticket to Eula

Notable Events:
  • Completed the Lore Circle of Fire (+1 CS, +2 EP)
  • Won the Silver Bow of Duadon fair and square
  • Used the Sommerswerd like a lightsaber to hack through a door

Missed Opportunities:
  • Missed out on the Bronin Warhammer
  • Never got to fight Arla of Amory

Kills:
  • Three outlaws
  • A cavalryman
  • Ten zombies
  • Two swarthy mercenaries
  • A Cener Druid
  • A river pirate
  • About three pirate berserkers
  • A Dakomyd

Deaths:
  • Stuffed and mounted in Varetta (book 6).
  • Executed in Amory (book 6).

Total deaths so far: 7

Storage:
  • Port Bax White Pass
  • Port Bax Red Pass
  • The Dagger of Vashna
  • Jewelled Mace
  • Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Missed out on the Bronin Warhammer. That what??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I really like this book. I feel like it's a nice change of pace from the rest of the series. No one's specifically trying to kill you, you're not on any particular deadline, you haven't been sent by anyone. You're seeking out something that you want, on your own initiative, and no one's trying to stop you or beat you to it.

The closest there is to a primary antagonist is Roark, and he hasn't been sent by the forces of darkness to hunt you down, he's just an arsehole. It's not clear he even knows (or cares) who you are. Sure, he's clearly into some pretty dark stuff with the zombies and all, but he's not working for the Darklords or anyone else. He's just an arsehole.

My only real criticism is that one section where you have to choose between (A) getting the silver bow of Duadon, (B) getting the bronin warhammer and (C) getting a bit more characterisation for Roark. I guess it's there so you can make different decisions when you replay the book, but it's pretty much the only section like that in this one. That would be another criticism, I suppose - the lack of meaningful decisions - but it doesn't bother me as much in this one as it does in others. I don't really know why.

Normally we'd be moving straight on to book seven now, but since it's almost Christmas and I'm about to head to me parents' house for the next few days I've decided to take a short break. So we'll start in Castle Death in January. In the meantime I'll leave the thread open for discussion of the series so far, Legends of Lone Wolf, etc. You can talk about what Magnakai Discipline you want to pick next or whatever else, but I won't be taking votes on it until the new year.

Comstar posted:

Missed out on the Bronin Warhammer. That what??
You can't get it if you get the silver bow. The bow is much, much better. I mentioned it briefly in this post.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I remember some future book having a check somewhere to see if you have the Bronin Warhammer. Must just be one of those times they throw you a bone if you don't have the Sommerswerd, and let you do something nice with a different special weapon. But whenever I saw it come up , I always wondered what the hell the Bronin Warhammer was and why I had never even loving heard of it. Cause obviously I'd never passed up the archery competition before. :v:

It was nice to finally find out!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Cool. Our Kai power of looting was the key to defeating the last boss after all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, if you don’t open the door to LOOT when you have the chance it’s instant death because the Dakomyd keeps regenerating outside the light of the Lorestone. I think that’s how they phrase it anyway. Loot or Die! :)

Have a good Christmas Tiggum. Thx for this and see you next year.

\/\/Materant- I stand corrected once again. Thx.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 23, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, if you don’t open the door to LOOT when you have the chance it’s instant death because the Dakomyd keeps regenerating outside the light of the Lorestone. I think that’s how they phrase it anyway. Loot or Die! :)

Have a good Christmas Tiggum. Thx for this and see you next year.

Nah, if you attack it, your weapon gets stuck in it and melts, then it grabs you and you (presumably) melt too. It's a wonderful inconsistency (why didn't this happen before when we hacked it to bits), but I suppose we had to go for the hat trick on potential ways to melt in the sewer.

Kingdoms of Terror, page 323 posted:

The Dakomyd shudders and reels back as your weapon makes impact, sinking deep into flesh that clings like jelly and reeks of a charnel smell that closes your throat. A drop of its watery blood splashes on your arm, eating through your tunic and searing your flesh. Your weapon disintegrates, corroded by the blood. Before you can pull away, a razor-sharp talon snares your cloak and draws you to your doom.

Your life and your quest end here in the crypt of Tekaro Cathedral.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Bifauxnen posted:

I remember some future book having a check somewhere to see if you have the Bronin Warhammer. Must just be one of those times they throw you a bone if you don't have the Sommerswerd, and let you do something nice with a different special weapon.

Any recollection where this was?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That image of the Dakomyd breaking apart is perhaps my favorite in the series, and it also marks the last point where I really liked the books. I never really progressed much beyond this one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Any recollection where this was?
It's in book 15. I'll point it out when we get there.

Kangra posted:

That image of the Dakomyd breaking apart is perhaps my favorite in the series, and it also marks the last point where I really liked the books. I never really progressed much beyond this one.
For me, this is pretty much were it starts getting good. I like the Kai series, but the Magnakai series is a bit more varied and interesting, and the Grand Master series steps it up to a whole other level and elaborates on a lot of the world-building, which I find pretty fun.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Cauldron of Fear is probably my favorite if you ignore the super hard final boss who is hard to beat even with the Sommerswerd but an instant kill with the dagger of Vashna.Actually i think it's the book where you start getting harder fight if you have the sommerswerd.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 23, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Jungle of Horrors is the most Magnakai book out of the series to me. Seems like it has everything.

Mister Perky posted:

(at least with Amory I recognized it as Roark's hometown but I definitely wanted to gently caress with him again and/or assumed I'd get away with it).
This was my thought, yea

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 23, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

For me, this is pretty much were it starts getting good. I like the Kai series, but the Magnakai series is a bit more varied and interesting, and the Grand Master series steps it up to a whole other level and elaborates on a lot of the world-building, which I find pretty fun.

I like the world-building, but this is where I started hating the gameplay. Too many situations where you pick the wrong choice and die, and there's either no hints as to the right choice or it's counter-intuitive.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tiggum posted:

There is no check for the Bronin Warhammer in The Darke Crusade. Checked the entire book just to make sure. It's probably in another book (probably Magnakai), but I'm sure as poo poo not combing every Magnakai/Grand Master book looking for it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

I like the world-building, but this is where I started hating the gameplay. Too many situations where you pick the wrong choice and die, and there's either no hints as to the right choice or it's counter-intuitive.
Yeah that's the point where you seriously need the hunter/divination skills to dodge 80% of the bullshit deaths. And even with divination you can't dodge the "end up in taxidermy form" death in this book because i quote the book "the taxidermist wanted to preserve you for future generations, so you didn't felt him as a threat!".

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 23, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Lorestones are better preservatives

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Materant posted:

There is no check for the Bronin Warhammer in The Darke Crusade. Checked the entire book just to make sure. It's probably in another book (probably Magnakai), but I'm sure as poo poo not combing every Magnakai/Grand Master book looking for it.

That’s what I’d assumed. The Warhammer is not among the 12 special items ok’d to transition in books beyond Magnakai. That list was always kinda silly, given how useful some non-listed things like the Firesphere were and how book specific other things like the korlineum scabbard were.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Materant posted:

I'm sure as poo poo not combing every Magnakai/Grand Master book looking for it.

Given that all the books are downloadable in HTML format, that actually takes only a tiny amount of time. I don't see any mention of bronin other than within the last book and a later item you can get. 'Warhammer' doesn't seem to pick up specific hits for something that's bronin, although there is at least one combat that depends on the sort of weapon you are using (e.g. edged or not). e: To clarify, it's not specifically calling out the Bronin Warhammer, but having it may be the only possible way to get some bonuses.

There is also another 'weapon-like special item' that is a warhammer in Book 26? it appears, from the tomb of Andarin. As I've mentioned, I'm not too familiar with them past the Magnakai level.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 23, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ratatozsk posted:

That’s what I’d assumed. The Warhammer is not among the 12 special items ok’d to transition in books beyond Magnakai. That list was always kinda silly, given how useful some non-listed things like the Firesphere were and how book specific other things like the korlineum scabbard were.

I mean, it's also not a Special Item.

Kingdoms of Terror, page 276 posted:

It is a very fine weapon, wrought of a metal called bronin, which looks exactly like new bronze, but does not tarnish like ordinary alloys of copper and tin. If you wish to keep this Bronin Warhammer, mark it on your Action Chart as a Weapon. When you use it in combat it will add 1 to your COMBAT SKILL.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I thought it was used in the book where you go into the Darklands and have a fight with with one of the demon stand-ins. They can only be hurt with magic weapons, and the bronin warhammer counts. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different magic weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Materant posted:

There is no check for the Bronin Warhammer in The Darke Crusade.
My mistake. The bronin warhammer doesn't come up again at all. I was going on what the Lone Wolf wiki says and it's wrong. The section it mentions refers to weapon-like special items and as Materant points out the bronin warhammer is not one (although it probably should be, in my opinion).

Toplowtech posted:

And even with divination you can't dodge the "end up in taxidermy form" death in this book because i quote the book "the taxidermist wanted to preserve you for future generations, so you didn't felt him as a threat!".
I don't think the book says that. You're right that there is no Divination check but there is a Curing check to detect the poison in the wine. Also you can just leave. It's not like the unavoidable "roll a die to see if you live" sections in books two and four.