Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

if you aren't out of the city and home by 2pm, Ol' Bertie will rise up and sacrifice you to the Elder Gods or some poo poo I don't know

That more to escape the death trap of heat that is a concrete jungle with no trees rather than enforced shopping hours though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

‘Foreclosing taught me empathy’
David Littleproud has drawn on his experience foreclosing on farms to propose an ‘independent agricultural tribunal’.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/allisongallaghr/status/944353487134982144

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" Leunig cried, as he slowly transformed into Bill Leak.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cuazl posted:

Take those statistics that came out lately on the tax paid by companies earning over $100m. I dropped those numbers into a spreadsheet to estimate the effective tax rate on big business in Australia: 2043 companies earning a total of $1.8 trillion paid a total of $38 billion in tax, for an effective tax rate of 2.11%.

732 companies with a total income of $506 billion paid no income tax whatsoever. Only 38 of those 2043 paid more than 10%; of those who paid anything, most (1139) paid less than 5%. Only four paid over 20%. The big four banks pay 7% tax between them. Wesfarmers pays 1.46% tax on its $63.4bn income, and Woolworths pays 1% on $49.4bn.

Part of the reason it's so low is that only 9.5% of that $1.8tn is considered taxable income. Woolies, for instance, is technically paying 26% income tax - except only 3.7% of their income is taxable in the first place. Those 732 companies with no taxable income had an average income of $700 million. That list includes News Corp, Foxtel, Adani, Exxon, Ford, General Motors, EnergyAustralia, BNP Paribas and Virgin Australia. The highest earning company to pay no tax is Glencore Investment at $18.3 billion, closely folled by Viva Energy at $16.8bn and Qantas at $15.8bn.

If that 2.1% was increased to 4%, the deficit would disappear immediately, with nearly a billion left over. Raising it to a backbreaking 10% would increase the federal budget by 40%. What could Australia do with a $147 billion surplus? That'd buy a lot of tortured refugees, for sure. :australia:

Note: that list doesn't even consider negative taxes (subsidies, rebates, etc). Reminder that Murdoch's News Corp got a billion dollar tax rebate just after Abbott got in, even though they don't pay taxes any more. They're sure as gently caress not the only ones.

Bloody hell. Why scream for lower taxes when you're at 0-2% already :(

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Comstar posted:

You can lay off all your accounting staff

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GLAD to serve that Leunig is on the spectrum though

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Comstar posted:

Because then everyone will assume you are being taxed a lot.

Aren't company tax cuts usually a cry of small business though?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/piss_mishima/status/934236418443841536

once again for the people at the back

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My aunt gave me a Leunig book for Christmas :whitewater:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

kirbysuperstar posted:

:sever:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
My partner works at a book shop and a customer called them up asking for the Bill Leak book, but wanted to make sure it had 'the one comic with the chinaman riding the crocodile'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

My partner works at a book shop and a customer called them up asking for the Bill Leak book, but wanted to make sure it had 'the one comic with the chinaman riding the crocodile'

:lol:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Surely this is a radio skit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lmao

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

LOL

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

kirbysuperstar posted:

One of my ex friends was very pleased about getting a first dog on the moon book from their parents this year

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can someone post the comic he is referring to

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZm5QvpfonY

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/joshbutler/status/944853622298370048

https://twitter.com/anthonyjpratt2/status/944844835348975616

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

What a deserving last name.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I love meritocracy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I accidentally saw Leunig on ABC One Plus One yesterday, it was cringey as gently caress. Also apparently Jane Hutcheon doesn't think he's an idiot but I guess she'd have to say that:

https://twitter.com/JHutcheon/status/944765462331539456

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/GlennFowlerAEU/status/944908412457926657

I think Miranda's celebrating Xmas a bit early this year.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me

A Nazi hating lefties

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I don't know much about John Silvester as a journalist but apparently The Age is just publishing him getting mad about random internet comments criticising his articles as news now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

John Silvester is a pretty good crime/police journo, and was behind the Underbelly books.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Merry Christmas auspolgoons I hope you all have a nice day.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
May all your buses be decorated.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Merry Christmas auspolgoons I hope you all have a nice day.

have a great day, comrade

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope
Merry christmas and a hopefully less crazy year.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blackcat12951 posted:

Well it kinda feels like this is gonna be the year where all the governments finally fall over

So we'll see

Fingers crossed

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Merry

*checks notes*

Christmas

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

blackcat12951 posted:

Hope is a lie. Everything is always getting worse. In a few years someone's going to come along and make us pine for the good old days when Trump, Putin, and Abbott were the worst we had to worry about.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mr Chips posted:

Hope is a lie. Everything is always getting worse. In a few years someone's going to come along and make us pine for the good old days when Trump, Putin, and Abbott were the worst we had to worry about.
dude you're just a barrel of fun arent you?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

CrazyTolradi posted:

dude you're just a barrel of fun arent you?

Merry Christmas everyone!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Prediction for 2018

The economy tanks, Turnbull looks shot, shorten gets caught in a sex scandal and loses an loseable election

Then Hawthorn win the flag

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hiddenmovement posted:

Prediction for 2018

The economy tanks, Turnbull looks shot, shorten gets caught in a sex scandal and loses an loseable election

Top notch year imo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hiddenmovement posted:

Prediction for 2018

Greens continue to make gains that barely fall short of gaining seats, and so continue to not be seen as making any at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
LABOR Leader Luke Foley has seized on a warning from the Chinese­ embassy about attacks on Chinese students to call for NSW race hate laws to be overhauled.

China’s embassy in Canberra issued­ the safety warning, which was circulated widely on Chinese social media app Wechat.

“Recently there have been many incidents where Chinese inter­national students have been ­insulted and attacked,” the statement issued at the weekend said.

“We remind all Chinese students studying in Australia to pay attention to safety precautions as they face a security risk while staying in Australia.”

The warning came after the state government backflipped this month on a plan to overhaul the state’s race discrimination laws.

“It’s a rare statement by the Chinese embassy to talk about an ­increase in insulting incidents and assaults,” Mr Foley said.

“This is further evidence that the Berejiklian government is wrong on the racial vilification laws.

“They should move to strengthen the laws.”

He pledged to introduce tougher laws to crackdown on hate speech if he is elected.

Two years ago then attorney-general Gabrielle Upton pledged to crackdown on hate preachers.

But Ms Upton, now environment minister, was one of several ministers who successfully argued against the laws in state cabinet last month.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian has indicated she supports the stronger laws, despite them being scuttled in cabinet.

“I tend to be quite moderate on these issues in so far as wanting to make sure we always protect the community first and I’m someone who will compromise my own civil liberty if it means keeping everybody else safe. But not everybody has those views,” she told 2GB.

Mr Foley said while Australia was not a racist society, there was a minority of people who were dangerous. “There should be strong laws to deal with this tiny minority who incite violence,” he said.

• Locked thread