Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

There was that Comedy Central show "That's my Bush!"

Yeah that's the main one I remember, there was also a ton of political satire outside of the US aimed at the US. It's like 9/11 exported all of their political satire at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don’t remember the rest of the 9/11 South Park episode but I know it basically ends with Stan saying love it or leave it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don’t remember the rest of the 9/11 South Park episode but I know it basically ends with Stan saying love it or leave it.

the one where they go to Afghanistan?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

the one where they go to Afghanistan?

I don’t know, the rest of the episode is probably funny.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Johnny Aztec posted:

There was that Comedy Central show "That's my Bush!"

That predated 9/11 though; Comedy Central made a big deal in 2000 of the fact that they had two versions of the show ready to go depending on who won the election

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trey and Matt seemed to think that making fun of Bush was played out so they never really did it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Also later the guy who played Bush in that show played him again but in a dramatic tv movie about 9/11 lol

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Trey and Matt seemed to think that making fun of Bush was played out so they never really did it.

Yeah that's a real easy excuse they like to trot out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Riptor posted:

they didnt even tiptoe around so much as they dog legged through an adjacent state this recent season about the alt-right issue. i guess i cant blame them from a business standpoint

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Riptor posted:

Yeah, libertarianism is probably the real excuse.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They’ve done a few episodes about Trump tho.

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010
lil bush existed and also sucked, but maybe thats because bush hate was passe by 2007

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The way that Bush was treated by the media shifted enormously after Katrina and further still after the 06 elections. People seemed to realize his days were numbered and it was like a huge release of pent up criticism was finally allowed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

they didnt even tiptoe around so much as they dog legged through an adjacent state this recent season about the alt-right issue. i guess i cant blame them from a business standpoint

I can, they loving suck

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Family guy was p merciless with GWB is a dumbass jokes.

It’s such a poo poo show and I’m seven seasons into my binge and not one season is nearly as funny as peak Simpson’s.

And they always eat the exact same meal, it is a really minor detail but pisses me off

Something else you won't be able to unsee: They very rarely animate any character other than the one who is talking. If a character isn't talking, they stand stiff as a board. When they are talking, they cycle through the same handful of hand gestures. They're not the only show that pulls that trick but they use it for nearly every shot.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

How about when they came up with "Chalmskinn" productions? I think that was from a later season and was funny for a few seconds when they said the word. Hell, I think it might constitute a joke.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

its amazing just how animated the art style in the older show was. even the inanimate objects had a sort of character to them. now it looks "better" and its ugly as poo poo

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

i was joking about SNL, their political poo poo in the age of Trump is unbearable to watch

I saw a Weekend Update where someone was supposed to be Jeff Sessions and they were just going "DUH UUUUUUUUUUUUUH AWOW)WOWOOWOW DUUUUUUUUUH I DON"T KNOW DUUUUUUUH" Like, I would expect a bunch of elementary school kids to come up with better stuff to make fun of one of the biggest scumbags in government but no.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

now it looks "better" and its ugly as poo poo

People keep saying things like this, but I can tell you with absolute certainty there is no animator alive that would pretend that new Simpsons looks better than its golden years in anyway shape or form, not even in a boring, sterile 'Technically better' kind of way.

It's just crap.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Something else you won't be able to unsee: They very rarely animate any character other than the one who is talking. If a character isn't talking, they stand stiff as a board. When they are talking, they cycle through the same handful of hand gestures. They're not the only show that pulls that trick but they use it for nearly every shot.

They also have tons of establishing shots, even sometimes when they haven’t changed locations!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

i was joking about SNL, their poo poo post 90s is unbearable to watch

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The talk about animation of characters not the focus of the scene and I still always think to the Mr. Sparkle episode with the librarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krT7Bl3PiY

Just the extra little thing of the librarian typing at the computer, looking over, and then running off just makes me laugh more than the extended dialing sequence.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Code Jockey posted:

post 90s is unbearable

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That’s a right triangle, you idiot!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Saw about 5 minutes of a future one where Bart has two kids.
It had 20000000 'current tech but will be outdated then' jokes, not one plot point.

This show needs to die.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How many times have the Simpsons got a computer / email / The Internet Eh? for the first time now?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

they made an entire sitcom about it dude

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I don’t know, the rest of the episode is probably funny.

it was a parody of bugs bunny cartoons iirc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Family guy was p merciless with GWB is a dumbass jokes.

It’s such a poo poo show and I’m seven seasons into my binge and not one season is nearly as funny as peak Simpson’s.

And they always eat the exact same meal, it is a really minor detail but pisses me off

I still like the first four seasons, they're a good trash watch. Not as good as peak Simpsons, but that's a high bar to set.

I didn't bother watching much of it after they brought it back, it got noticeably worse with even more contrived plotlines (the last one I remember is Lois suddenly being Jewish)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maya Fey posted:

they made an entire sitcom about it dude

That wasn’t really making fun of Bush or his policies specifically. It was just making fun of generic sitcoms and it would have been pretty much the same if Gore won.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bush was in a bunch of south park episodes too though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maya Fey posted:

bush was in a bunch of south park episodes too though

Most of those that I recall were basically making fun of “The President” though, not Bush specifically. They barely even drew him as a recognizable caricature.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Phlegmish posted:

I still like the first four seasons, they're a good trash watch. Not as good as peak Simpsons, but that's a high bar to set.

I didn't bother watching much of it after they brought it back, it got noticeably worse with even more contrived plotlines (the last one I remember is Lois suddenly being Jewish)

It's pretty clear that all of the best people involved with family guy left for American dad

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean this was their 2012 season finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyQh-0ibg8

Haha so funny

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
South park is still funny half the time imo.

What's shocking to me is that American dad is still great with only the rare episode that isn't good. It shits all over family guy and always has

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Will Farrell wore a flightsuit every time he appeared as Baby Bush after "Mission Accomplished" happened. Same with Robot Chicken. Robin Williams would appear on talk shows with shirts reading "The Decider" and poo poo.

Wheres this idea that Bush criticisms were only whispered in coffee shops coming from?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Phlegmish posted:

So, I like Family Guy. Not obsessed fan boy like, but I find it funny and enjoy it when its on. I really don't get why people watch it for plot or character development - its a half-hour delivery vehicle for sight gags and fart jokes. It's a standup routine in cartoon form. And to that purpose, it works just fine IMO.

(Good Simpsons is still better though)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No animated show comes close to Good Simpsons but I think modern Family Guy is better than modern Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why in the christ is there an episode where comic book guy gets a Japanese girlfriend and it’s somehow more racist than anti-neckbeard