Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yo so what's up with Monster Hunter and should I look it and do I jump on the hype train? I just keep thinking of Monster Rancher and putting every disc in the house into my ps1 to get a dope dude. Never played a MH nor do I know what all the game entails

Yeah, totally take a look at it during the open beta/demo/whatever. I've never played Monster Hunter before, but really liked the look of this one, so I was happy to hear about it. I jumped straight in, selected a dude, a cat-dude, a bulky set of armor and a big gently caress-off axe, and ran the first two missions with no problem. Then I spent a while just exploring. Game looks like it will be fun and it's now definitely on the list...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

He already plays Ark.

:rip:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Best way to describe Monster Hunter:

You are in a japanese game menu, from that you launch missions.

The missions are in pretty large areas and you are free to go around and do whatever you want, even ignore the mission and hunt other beast.

The missions seems to be killing large beast that take many minutes to die. Theres a lot of mechanics so if you don't know what you are doing you may be doing like 1 point of damage for a long time. Collision physics with the beast don't exist or is very basic , so you will clip trough the beast legs, body, and you weapons will connect loosely with the body. The game is (seems to be) more about knowing what part of the monster to attack and avoing the heavy attacks, mantain the dps on the monster to down him.

Graphically the game is really pretty, and they have made a maniac good work at animating these large beast. Theres some sort of ecology going own and some monsters hate each another, and when two monster hate they a lot and meet, they fight in a large messy battle. Small predators can also join to the clusterfuck, and maybe you can even tame some of them for a 1vs1vsManyvs2 battle.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Snak posted:

He already plays Ark.

Can you chop off Dino tails in Ark to make he dinos easier?

I alays figured if you ere doing a modern game analogy of MH, it'd be Dark Souls crossed with Pokemon, but instead of befriending the pokemon, you gut them nd use them for cosmetics.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
As someone else making his first foray into Monster Hunter, the beta didn't really grab me. Does the full game have any kind of a level-up system? Is it all contained within these smaller maps? Is there a lot of loot and such? It feels like the foundation of a game that I could get into, but there wasn't anything in the way of crafting/loot/leveling in the beta.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CVagts posted:

As someone else making his first foray into Monster Hunter, the beta didn't really grab me. Does the full game have any kind of a level-up system? Is it all contained within these smaller maps? Is there a lot of loot and such? It feels like the foundation of a game that I could get into, but there wasn't anything in the way of crafting/loot/leveling in the beta.
There is no xp and no levels. Your characters strength is entirely expressed through their equipment.

Yeah, it’s all based on these broken up maps.

There’s no loot other than monster parts and harvesting things.

These are all fundamental things to MH that you need to accept if you want to play it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CVagts posted:

There are no level ups, the progression is better weapons and armor you craft from the materials you farm from the monsters you hunt. World is the first time the maps are all one big zone, prior games were smaller zones with loading screens. All the loot is what you farm from the monster and its cut off body parts and things you collect from collection nodes (mines, flowers, honey, etc). Crafting is never included in the demos given prior history. They leave all that for the actual game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just found out that a good friend of my sister apparently sang some vocals on the Neir: Automata soundtrack

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Give her/him our goonregards, the soundtrack is amazing, vocals included.

Now I just have to get some time to actually play the drat game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That game is goddamn amazing. Love the soundtrack. I love that voice, that sister's friend's voice, whichever loving one it is. I love them all!

Including weird robot voices.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah I know she did some video game stuff here and there but I wasnt aware she worked on the soundtrack to Automata til the other day. I haven't listened to it myself (nor played the game) but yeah she's got a great voice.

I'm more familiar with her earlier work with her band Freesscape

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Tei posted:

Best way to describe Monster Hunter:

You are in a japanese game menu, from that you launch missions.

The missions are in pretty large areas and you are free to go around and do whatever you want, even ignore the mission and hunt other beast.

The missions seems to be killing large beast that take many minutes to die. Theres a lot of mechanics so if you don't know what you are doing you may be doing like 1 point of damage for a long time. Collision physics with the beast don't exist or is very basic , so you will clip trough the beast legs, body, and you weapons will connect loosely with the body. The game is (seems to be) more about knowing what part of the monster to attack and avoing the heavy attacks, mantain the dps on the monster to down him.

Lots of bad information in this post. I dunno what a Japanese game menu is but everything is pretty clearly explained. The game has added literal damage numbers now so it's easy to see how effective your weapon is on different monster parts. I've never clipped through a monster even on the old 3ds games, if anything there used to be issues with their hit/hurt boxes being larger than the models, but I've not experienced that in mhw.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tei is the wisest and most insightful of all posters in the PS4 thread.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played some Titanfall 2 after a while away and that game is still good as hell. It took a bit longer than before to populate the game though...

revolther
May 27, 2008
MHW really just is menus and hunt levels without a connecting world?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Well, there are several areas like the one in the demo. Not having them be connected means you won't have to waste time running from one end to the next. I don't see a problem with that.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

If it's like the previous games there will be hubs full of NPC's that usually give some quests and have amusing dialogue, NPC's that you visit to upgrade your weapons/armour, some kind of farm that lets you produce materials that you need to craft items when you're out hunting, your house with a pet you can dress up in sick outfits, and other bits and pieces. You'll dick around here then go on a hunt if you're playing solo, or there will be another multiplayer type hub area you go when you're in a party where you can gently caress around (apparently there's arm wrestling in world) before you go off to the hunt areas.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
And this makes it so that fast travel inside a hunting area is instantaneous.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Well, there are several areas like the one in the demo. Not having them be connected means you won't have to waste time running from one end to the next. I don't see a problem with that.
The demo was a real bummer. I was hoping for a world to explore, creatures to discover and hunt in a dynamic environment that came about in somewhat organic manner.

World in the title seemed to imply a larger scale and more interactive environment, but sounds like it's just Cabella's Dynasty Warriors with 16 player raids.

I was hoping for clunky japanese HZD with better crafting and survival elements.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

revolther posted:

I was hoping for clunky japanese HZD with better crafting and survival elements.

It's definitely not that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Monster Hunter is nothing like Dynasty Warriors what are you smoking

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I consider myself more of a lumper than a splitter. When Destiny came out I remember long arguments where I said it was like Borderlands while others said it was utterly different. But now things have gotten too lumpy even for me. We’re getting into life and death being basically the same thing territory. Monster Hunter is like Monster Hunter and the MH-likes that came after it, such as Toukiden.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cross post

Rinkles posted:

HD jrpg towns in tyool 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_zMtT0K8k

(This is looking much better than I was expecting)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

revolther posted:

Cabella's Dynasty Warriors
Congrats you found the best monhun analogy

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Everyone new to MonHu should just watch this official tutorial series

https://youtu.be/KGOonNxHbc8

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
MonHun is what you get when a bunch of people played those weird bonus missions Chico has in MGS Peace Walker and think “this might make a cool game all its own” but for some reason take away your tranq guns. :v:

Yes, I’ve been playing MH off and on for years and years too.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

revolther posted:

I too love more true open world games. But I appreciate the effort put in MonHun and I think will be a fun game. Being menus-heavy will not be a problem, since crafting and choosing what to equip is so a important part of the experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Cross post

Lol Cygames has so much money they're just spending it on whatever now.

Is that the game Platinum were working on or is it something else?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's the Platinum one. The other was.. a phone SRPG?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Edit:Whoops wrong thread

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 23, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL the Catherine remake is stirring the wokes because the new character is just like a massive trigger apparently and the internet froths and churns. It's obviously a lot of hand-wringing but it's also crazy because its predicated on the guy you play as being an insensitive dweeb, which he most assuredly already was in the original

:yikes:

this post is like some sort of reddit bingo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL the Catherine remake is stirring the wokes because the new character is just like a massive trigger apparently and the internet froths and churns. It's obviously a lot of hand-wringing but it's also crazy because its predicated on the guy you play as being an insensitive dweeb, which he most assuredly already was in the original

jfc

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Bust Rodd posted:

hi, consider not posting like this, thanks

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

looking at his post history I think he meant to post that in the gbs gamergater quarantine thread

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Thumper
SUPERHOT VR
Statik
Everybody’s Tennis
Overcooked
The Heavy Rain™ & BEYOND: Two Souls™ Collection

Thanks PS4 sale :/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I hate when people post like everyone in the thread remembers every single detail just as well as they do and then use two posts six minutes apart to get their point across for some reason. But somehow you've managed to not give enough information even though I feel like I should understand what you're saying like I'm looking at two-thirds of a riddle.

iRend posted:

Thumper
SUPERHOT VR
Statik
Everybody’s Tennis
Overcooked

Overcooked is very good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

I hate when people post like everyone in the thread remembers every single detail just as well as they do and then use two posts six minutes apart to get their point across for some reason. But somehow you've managed to not give enough information even though I feel like I should understand what you're saying like I'm looking at two-thirds of a riddle.

people are concerned that a new character being added is a negative stereotype and the poster you are quoting is going off about snowflakes. thats about it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

iRend posted:

Thumper
SUPERHOT VR
Statik
Everybody’s Tennis
Overcooked

Everybody's Tennis
Overcooked
Grim Fandango Remastered

:hfive:

I don't think I'm going to spend more this sale wich is both nice for my wallet and my backlog.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

CVagts posted:

This isn't directed at you the person, but this post makes me really sad because it encapsulates what an average person is probably looking for in a game in 2017. I'm tired if seeing crafting, loot, and leveling in pretty much every game. This is coming from someone who plays Monster Hunter.

Like, those aren't necessarily bad things to want in a game, but it stomps out games that don't include them, or makes them worse for including them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So HZD is huge and the map is full of icons. I accidentally bought the maps now this even fuller of icons...

When people say "beeline" to Meridian to get the permanent fast travel, what does this mean? Do the very first main quest (Seeker at the gates) until I get there, leaving everything else for later? Or does it literally mean "run for the city"?

Also: How hard are mods things to come by? Should I just use the best ones I have in my current stuff or should I use the inferior versions until I have purple weapons (which I assume are best quality)?