Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Rare got EA'd by Microsoft from all indications. (IE, cannibalised for competent staff until everyone was either scattered to the winds or flat out quit, then effectively dissolved with the IPs kept around in case they might look good stapled onto something else)

This might be a myth but I also recall hearing that Microsft were under the impression they'd get the rights to Donkey Kong with the acquisition of Rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

This might be a myth but I also recall hearing that Microsft were under the impression they'd get the rights to Donkey Kong with the acquisition of Rare.

That has to be a myth, Microsoft's lawyer can't be that dumb.

Can they? :ohdearsass:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Randaconda posted:

That has to be a myth, Microsoft's lawyer can't be that dumb.

Can they? :ohdearsass:

It wasn't a lawyer, just a single executive who didn't even work in the gaming division. He likely saw a bunch of Donkey Kong stuff that hadn't been cleared out of Rare's HQ during his trip over, or remembered vaguely that Rare had been handling all of DK's outings for the past decade at that point and jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Randaconda posted:

I had no idea they were a Nintendo studio. They should have rode that poo poo out. I'm sure a lot of other companies would have sucked Mario's taint to be that well situated.

A surprising number of companies do this. They work for or with nintendo, release a few good games then just abandon Nintendo assuming they, and they alone, were the secret to good games and go on to release games that aren't as good and adamantly insist it isn't their fault. Even Capcom took Megaman and bailed on Nintendo for the Playstation, but generally speaking Megaman 8 is one of the less popular megaman games (usually less fondly regarded than Megaman and Bass even) and the later X games are almost universally less well liked than the first three were. It's just a weird thing that keeps happening.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nuebot posted:

A surprising number of companies do this. They work for or with nintendo, release a few good games then just abandon Nintendo assuming they, and they alone, were the secret to good games and go on to release games that aren't as good and adamantly insist it isn't their fault. Even Capcom took Megaman and bailed on Nintendo for the Playstation, but generally speaking Megaman 8 is one of the less popular megaman games (usually less fondly regarded than Megaman and Bass even) and the later X games are almost universally less well liked than the first three were. It's just a weird thing that keeps happening.

It's not like Capcom didn't make a fuckload of money on the Playstation considering Resident Evil, though.

But yeah, pretty much every company that breaks with Nintendo proceeds to gently caress themselves sideways as far as anyone's seen. It's not like you can't have some autonomy with it, see Game Freak.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Not Operator posted:

Barely relevant but its super weird how they all seem to have the same odd looking chair.

The Schadenfreude here is on the people buying those "gaming chairs" á la DXRacer and whatnot.

The wonder that is marketing has convinced people that sit in one spot longer than people in an actual office job that they're getting $1,000+ chair quality when buying a $150 chair, but pay $250 for it because it has a sick color styling and ventilation openings or whatever.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

The entire point of posting it is to get points on a website. Like achievements but even more worthless.

Also, how would anyone be able to tell it was just empty from the get go instead of just already drank?

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p0ulrmArtr1vnq1cr.mp4

That part is a right loving pain in the rear end, haven't gotten past it yet. drat streamer overreaction tho.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The Schadenfreude here is on the people buying those "gaming chairs" á la DXRacer and whatnot.

The wonder that is marketing has convinced people that sit in one spot longer than people in an actual office job that they're getting $1,000+ chair quality when buying a $150 chair, but pay $250 for it because it has a sick color styling and ventilation openings or whatever.

Yeah, when I was looking for an office chair, I actually tried one of those at a store. My thinking was less concerned with it looking like rear end and more "hey, a comfortable chair is a comfortable chair". It was not a comfortable chair. I ended up with a Herman Miller instead. Worth every drat penny as far as my rear end and back are concerned.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://i.imgur.com/9twaZgY.gifv

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's the fact that they are built like racing seats for vehicles that confuses me - why do you need lower side torso support on a desk chair? You aren't taking any lateral G forces.

I'm pretty sure they got such a big market share by giving them away for free to all the "big name streamers" so all the kids who want to be the next PewDiePie think it is an essential piece of equipment like a decent mic or camera.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Whipstickagostop posted:

It's the fact that they are built like racing seats for vehicles that confuses me - why do you need lower side torso support on a desk chair? You aren't taking any lateral G forces.

I'm pretty sure they got such a big market share by giving them away for free to all the "big name streamers" so all the kids who want to be the next PewDiePie think it is an essential piece of equipment like a decent mic or camera.

Someone post the guy with the fake one photoshopped onto his stream

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Whipstickagostop posted:

There's been at least one instance of a streamer actually just c&p'ing a picture of one of those chairs in behind his facecam. So yeah, it's basically 100% cargo culting because gamers are terrible at everything, including furniture.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nuebot posted:

No-one cares if they were liked. Did they sell? (I honestly don't know.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Whipstickagostop posted:

It's the fact that they are built like racing seats for vehicles that confuses me - why do you need lower side torso support on a desk chair?

Remember the target audience. That's to prevent spillover.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't get it

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

No-one cares if they were liked. Did they sell? (I honestly don't know.)

Of course it matters if they were liked. MM8 sold reasonably well but was so mediocre (and the English dubbing so astonishingly bad) that it killed the core franchise for more than a decade.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Besesoth posted:

Of course it matters if they were liked. MM8 sold reasonably well but was so mediocre (and the English dubbing so astonishingly bad) that it killed the core franchise for more than a decade.

Wasn't the American cast literally people who happened to be working in the building that day?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mega Man Legends still has a lot of fans, though.

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't the American cast literally people who happened to be working in the building that day?

I heard that there wasn't an American cast, it was the Japanese cast (or random people) reading the English script phonetically.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Mega Man Legends still has a lot of fans, though.

I heard that there wasn't an American cast, it was the Japanese cast (or random people) reading the English script phonetically.

Mega Man was voiced by a real-estate agent. She has other videos where she talks about properties on YouTube, and the comments are just a bunch of people talking about Mega Man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The final punch when he's off the bus is the best one.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Besesoth posted:

If it sold well enough it wouldn't have killed the franchise.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

What is this called and where can I buy it, I have the sudden urge to send people cards.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Megaman 8 looked incredible and I'm still sad they went back to 8 bit graphics after that

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Applesnots posted:

What is this called and where can I buy it, I have the sudden urge to send people cards.

Same. But asking for a friend.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Proteus Jones posted:

Same. But asking for a friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Pranks-Magic-Butterfly-Classic/dp/B001LXM6DE

I found the hook up friendo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

They literally made the post (and faked the content) to get points on Reddit.
E: beaten like Reddit idiots.

Yeah, but let's say you live in a bizarro Reddit universe where faking a coke can being empty is worth posting online, wouldn't it make more sense to drink it or dump it out and claim it's empty than punch a pinhole in the bottom? The pinhole at the bottom adds legitimacy to his claim, cause that could have happened somewhere during transport or manufacturing. He is still super dumb for not being able to figure out the can was empty when he picked it up.

I can't believe I just typed that out.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Dec 23, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, but let's say you live in a bizarro Reddit universe where faking a coke can being empty is worth posting online, wouldn't it make more sense to drink it or dump it out and claim it's empty than punch a pinhole in the bottom? The pinhole at the bottom adds legitimacy to his claim, cause that could have happened somewhere during transport or manufacturing. He is still super dumb for not being able to figure out the can was empty when he picked it up.

I can't believe I just typed that out.

I'm assuming it was originally a video which, of course, raises the question "why would anyone start shooting video of opening a Coke can unless they knew it was empty and - get this - they would have known it's empty because it weighs gently caress-all which raises the question "why did he buy it in the first place?""

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's the most mundane mystery of all time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SubponticatePoster posted:

In my city they tried a novel experiment. "Well, if the problem with homeless people is not having homes, why don't we just give them one?" And they did, and it works great. Your average FYGM person will go bugshit over the fact that people are "getting something for nothing" but it turns out that even if you give someone an apartment and they completely trash it, it's still cheaper than that same person being arrested just a couple times a year so Captain Libertarian is actually paying less in taxes.

Actually, the sad thing is that this hasn't been backed up by data. The cities that did this did not experience a change in homelessness, they just changed how the metrics were taken. It is however not dramatically more expensive, the issue is more than people leave and go back on the streets because they have untreated mental problems we're not assisting with.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/florida-man-fighting-for-his-life-after-chasing-monkey-1.3734134

Monkey steals man's cap. Man does not appreciate that. Man chases monkey, falls off roof and is now paralyzed.

Man is from Florida.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/florida-man-fighting-for-his-life-after-chasing-monkey-1.3734134

Monkey steals man's cap. Man does not appreciate that. Man chases monkey, falls off roof and is now paralyzed.

Man is from Florida.

Was hoping for MAGA hat. Pittsburgh Steelers will do.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

The entire point of posting it is to get points on a website. Like achievements but even more worthless.

Also, how would anyone be able to tell it was just empty from the get go instead of just already drank?

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p0ulrmArtr1vnq1cr.mp4

This is perhaps a better fit for the obsolete tech thread but since you posted this video, it reminded me of a much older game. Probably made in a time where this did not mean frustration, but replay value. One wrong hit = death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugaboo_(The_Flea)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqg9DrqJibc

Anyway, I feel that the only time I can express sympathy for this kind of behaviour is if Mario Kart on the SNES rubberbands like crazy.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm assuming it was originally a video which, of course, raises the question "why would anyone start shooting video of opening a Coke can unless they knew it was empty and - get this - they would have known it's empty because it weighs gently caress-all which raises the question "why did he buy it in the first place?""

he probably got it in a 12-pack or something

I hardly ever see single cans for sale

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Here's a better version
https://twitter.com/unclebantzzz/status/944569447494443008

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Whipstickagostop posted:

I've worked in the electronic entertainment industry, and I'm almost 100% certain of the business model behind "gaming chairs".

Bulk business deals with lower-tier manufacturers of off-brand racing shells, low-investment modification capability for modular design, more deals with manufacturers for lower-tier add-ons for business chairs.

Then rebrand that poo poo and pretend it's premium quality at $250, because you actually created the product segment "gaming chair", which totally has different attributes and prerequisites than chairs meant for people that sit around for a living, who pay four times that price because that's what quality costs in the sitting your fat rear end down reasonably-healthily industry.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://i.imgur.com/4z0ZIko.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QibQutj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GuxzFca.mp4

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

canyoneer posted:

Someone post the guy with the fake one photoshopped onto his stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y7jikWCK9o

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ein cooler Typ posted:

he probably got it in a 12-pack or something

I hardly ever see single cans for sale

Um. Vending machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read an article recently that the North Korean government want to use Bitcoin to revitalise their economy and thought of this thread.