Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

The doctor theory is good. Never take investment advice from a doctor and never get into a small plane with one either.

*gets into a plane with a dermatologist*

"Let me tell you about a terrific investment opportunity! Ever hear of aircraft timeshares?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well at least you'll have a sudden death to look forward to when he crashes it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BigDave posted:

"Let me tell you about a terrific investment opportunity! Ever hear of aircraft timeshares?"

Excuse me, I believe the current preferred nomenclature is Fractional Ownership

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

r/antiMLM caught a 23yo It Works! cultist who claims to earn $6k/month ("in a few months") begging for cash for her wedding on GoFundMe

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BigDave posted:

I know a dermatologist who makes $600k a year and destroyed a brand new Camry by driving it from austin to houston in 2nd gear at 6500rpm the whole way

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I know a dermatologist who makes $600k a year and destroyed a brand new Camry by driving it from austin to houston in 2nd gear at 6500rpm the whole way

I'm surprised that a Toyota engine that routinely goes for 200,000 or more miles with nothing more than routine maintenance could be destroyed by two hours of moderately high RPM operation

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm surprised that a Toyota engine that routinely goes for 200,000 or more miles with nothing more than routine maintenance could be destroyed by two hours of moderately high RPM operation

I'm more surprised at the manual transmission in that Camry.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m surprised a dermatologist would drive something so pedestrian.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Probably a "sport" automatic with paddles and a manual gear selector rather than an actual manual

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

A lot of cars have shiftronic transmissions where you can manually shift gears. My mother-in-law drove my car in 2nd gear all the way to the fabric store after she inadvertently switched to manual mode. That shouldn't damage an engine though, as it uses a governor to limit RPM's. So maybe he really did have a Camry with a standard transmission. You really feel the visceral thrill of driving that untamed beast of a Japanese mid-sized car when you switch to the manual gear box.

hailthefish posted:

Well at least you'll have a sudden death to look forward to when he crashes it.

Yeah, that was the point. Doctors are great at medicine, but they suck at risk management. That extends to investing and piloting small deathtraps.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've said it before and I'll say it again, doctors and engineers are hands down the worst people to work with for investing. loving day traders are easier to convince that you have a depth of knowledge about certain investment strategies that they don't, but a doctor or engineer? No way. They know everything about everything. And then they'll stick 80% of their retirement account account into one biomed company whose rep told them "we're super close to this cancer cure."

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, that was the point. Doctors are great at medicine, but they suck at risk management. That extends to investing and piloting small deathtraps.

I was more getting at death being a pleasant escape.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

That looks like its some sort of debit card they put your paycheck on like wal-mart. I bet that thing has all the hidden fees.

I'm IT for a call center, and a lot of agents cannot get a bank account so they get money cards like this. Their cards aren't bad IF you are getting your check deposited to them. No monthly fees and no ATM charges if you use a free ATM. I think they even come with some sort of check.

The fees get nasty when I (or anyone not an agent) get reimbursed for something and they drop it on the money card that I don't use. If I buy a $20 tool, I'll get hit with a $5 monthly maintenance fee the second the money drops in (if it's my first for the month of course), if I try to use an ATM the card charges $3 on top of the ATM fee. Or I can pay $3 to transfer to my real bank. I might get $12 back for my $20 tool.

I bet the MLM card has the same sort of minimum and someone at the top of that pyramid is getting a kickback from the card company. "If you sold more, you'd be a preferred member and wouldn't have those fees!"

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Slate Slabrock posted:

I'm IT for a call center, and a lot of agents cannot get a bank account so they get money cards like this. Their cards aren't bad IF you are getting your check deposited to them. No monthly fees and no ATM charges if you use a free ATM. I think they even come with some sort of check.

Why can't they get an account? Are they undocumented immigrants? Or are you (and they) not in America and banks have weird rules on getting an account?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some call centers use prisoners. Maybe he works for a prison call center.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

taiyoko posted:

Why can't they get an account? Are they undocumented immigrants? Or are you (and they) not in America and banks have weird rules on getting an account?

Poverty and/or living in a bank desert:

https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.edu/live/news/1895-financial-exclusion-why-it-is-more-expensive-to-be/for-students/blog/news.php

quote:

For example, based on overall percentage of unbanked households, many of the top 100 unbanked places (cities, towns, or census designated places with more than 250 households) are small rural towns, of which 36 are in Texas, 17 in Mississippi, and 10 in Arizona [3]. Of large cities with more than 100,000 households, however, Miami was ranked first with 20.1 percent unbanked and 21.4 percent underbanked, followed by Detroit, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, and Baltimore.

According to the previously cited FDIC Survey, “unbanked rates among households with income that varied somewhat or a lot from month to month were 8.7 and 12.9 percent, respectively, compared to 5.7 percent among households with income that was about the same each month” [2].

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slate Slabrock posted:

The fees get nasty when I (or anyone not an agent) get reimbursed for something and they drop it on the money card that I don't use. If I buy a $20 tool, I'll get hit with a $5 monthly maintenance fee the second the money drops in (if it's my first for the month of course), if I try to use an ATM the card charges $3 on top of the ATM fee. Or I can pay $3 to transfer to my real bank. I might get $12 back for my $20 tool.
Where do you live that this is legal rather than them just adding it to your paycheck?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Slate Slabrock posted:

I bet the MLM card has the same sort of minimum and someone at the top of that pyramid is getting a kickback from the card company. "If you sold more, you'd be a preferred member and wouldn't have those fees!"

It is really dumb that they are insisting on giving you reimbursements on a payment card instead of by check or direct deposit. You should look in to getting them to change that. In most states they are not allowed to REQUIRE direct deposit and must offer check as an option, although there are probably 20 or so states out there that are dumb and let them require it.

For the people who "can't get a bank account" it probably is better for them in the long run even if they pay anywhere from $5-$20 per month because of the overdraft fees they would be racking up. A lot of them COULD get another account (unless there committed fraud or something), but they would have to go to a bank that opens "second chance" accounts for people with a ChexSystems record.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When I was still working in bank branches, we actually had a 3rd party account called Skylight that would allow for people who had a record for fraud to open it, but it had a lot of restrictions and was like 20 or 25 bucks a month in base fee plus fees for each transaction. If you have committed check fraud though I really don't have a lot of sympathy.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Splicer posted:

Where do you live that this is legal rather than them just adding it to your paycheck?

Most states. Some places have even phased out direct deposit for those money cards, and they're fee rich so they employers actually make money off of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/business/as-pay-cards-replace-paychecks-bank-fees-hurt-workers.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Saint Peter don’t you call me, ‘cause I can’t go, I owe my soul to the company Visa.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

An actual real answer is that they overdrafted an account at another bank and are flagged, or there are garnishments and any amount of money that shows up at a real bank will be swept away.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's certainly part of it, but I think a lot of it does have to do with not understanding how paying a $12 fee per month is cheaper than having a "free" account that charges you $2 for every transaction.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Katt posted:

(Made by actual bitcoin trading company to encourage people to buy them)

xpost but :perfect:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's certainly part of it, but I think a lot of it does have to do with not understanding how paying a $12 fee per month is cheaper than having a "free" account that charges you $2 for every transaction.

Free is less then $12 duh.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

taiyoko posted:

Probably Chexsystems or something like it. If you crater a bank account, say through overdraft cascades or getting stuck in a payday lending cycle, they can shut down your account and put you on a list that effectively prevents you from opening another account anywhere that uses their reporting system until you make good. I understand it's gotten less draconian with recent banking law changes, but during the late 90s/early 2000s it was really not that difficult for a poor person to become effectively unbankable.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Harry posted:

An actual real answer is that they overdrafted an account at another bank and are flagged, or there are garnishments and any amount of money that shows up at a real bank will be swept away.

kazmeyer posted:

Probably Chexsystems or something like it. If you crater a bank account, say through overdraft cascades or getting stuck in a payday lending cycle, they can shut down your account and put you on a list that effectively prevents you from opening another account anywhere that uses their reporting system until you make good. I understand it's gotten less draconian with recent banking law changes, but during the late 90s/early 2000s it was really not that difficult for a poor person to become effectively unbankable.

These are usually the reasons, a lot of workers at my mom's factory are the same way. They can opt for paper checks but the money cards are usually better than going to a check cashing/cash advance kind of place, but not by much.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Pretty sick of you guys rippin doctors in this thread.

Also I super want a plane but I'm never going to buy one because I know I'd kill myself and everyone I love :(

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also I super want a plane but I'm never going to buy one because I know I'd kill myself and everyone I love :(

It's just that large figures and BWM exacerbates the laughs

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Get a plane, hire me to fly you around. Buying freedom and safety is GWM.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
The "alternative financial services" (check cashing, prepaid debit cards, etc.) for the unbanked are astoundingly BWM.

I studied them a bit in college I might post more about it if anyone's interested.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Get an ultralight. What can go wrong with an ultralight?

At least when all is said and done you can't fit lots of family in an ultralight and your estate won't be out the cost of an expensive Cessna

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pekinduck posted:

The "alternative financial services" (check cashing, prepaid debit cards, etc.) for the unbanked are astoundingly BWM.

I studied them a bit in college I might post more about it if anyone's interested.

Do it. We have a lot of folks knowledge but I haven't seen a detailed analysis of exactly how terrible they are. There are probably some undiscovered laffs to mine there.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Pekinduck posted:

They’re horribly exploitative but I don’t know that I’d consider them BWM if you literally have no alternatives (because your parents tanked your credit score or you overdrafted too often or whatever).

(I would still be interested in hearing more.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Get an ultralight. What can go wrong with an ultralight?

That wasn't an ultralight. Ultralights aren't registered and you don't need a pilot's license. Denver died flying a Long EZ. It's a kit plane, but it's not an ultralight.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Colin Mockery posted:

They’re horribly exploitative but I don’t know that I’d consider them BWM if you literally have no alternatives (because your parents tanked your credit score or you overdrafted too often or whatever).

(I would still be interested in hearing more.)

Parents tanking their kid's credit is something I have to deal with every once in a blue moon and the stories I hear are always so sad. Not that I can do anything about it, but having a poo poo parent can really gently caress everything about your life up for a very long time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Still got that humblebrag touch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

That wasn't an ultralight. Ultralights aren't registered and you don't need a pilot's license. Denver died flying a Long EZ. It's a kit plane, but it's not an ultralight.

Well, it looks cool.

But death traps usually do. My Google image search pulled up some versions equipped with a jet turbine. In case you wanted to die, but like...quickly.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The lightest aircraft is a paragliding wing. It's also the cheapest and safest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There are well over 1000 Long EZs out there, it's generally regarded as a safe and forgiving plane to fly.What killed Denver was (as fatal accidents usually are), a combination of several factors:

1. The guy who built this particular plane stuck the fuel gauge and the fuel tank selector switch behind the pilot. So the pilot can't see the gauge himself, without waving a mirror around in the cockpit. Also, he can't turn the switch without contorting around and reaching behind himself. And when he does this, his foot pushes against one of the rudder pedals.
2. He'd been told the plane was low on fuel but for whatever reason he didn't bother fueling.
3. While he was an experienced pilot with 2700 hours and ratings for a wide variety of planes including multi-engine, seaplanes, gliders, and Learjets, this was a very new aircraft for him and he only had a couple of check flights in it.

And if you think that looks cool (and I agree):

https://www.google.com/search?q=rut...iw=1353&bih=878

There are definitely personality types for whom purchasing a small plane isn't so much BWM as it is an overly-elaborate suicide plan. But I don't think Denver was one of those. Incidentally, his father was a supersonic nuclear bomber pilot who set several world speed records in a B-5B.