Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I encountered the crazy chameleon monster today. Was it there in the first beta? I can't believe I missed it in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I encountered the crazy chameleon monster today. Was it there in the first beta? I can't believe I missed it in that case.

It was, but with a really low spawn chance. It's really common in the second beta.
Same for Kulu Ya Ku.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PgKTBm4Tf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7WMy1WLP9A

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 23, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

My favorite thing about MH threads is when somebody says THIS WEAPON is awesome now. There's invariably people who say it was always awesome. Is there's a poo poo tier weapon?

Yes there are weapon tiers. Some super dedicated people speedrun a variety of fights and rank the weapons based on clear speed.

There's a few reasons why posting about it is frowned upon:
1. The gap between weapons isn't that large
2. Not carting should be your first priority
3. Play what you enjoy. If you kill 30 seconds faster in a 5 minute fight who really cares
4. It's usually hbg or more technical weapons top or near top and some people might think the tier list is gospel and have a Bad first time

That being said here's gens tier list.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/163462-monster-hunter-generations/74748468

This is in no way applicable to mhw so go nuts

mbt fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 23, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Oh this is a fun wall of sperg. Won't affect me. I played with everything in the demo and I can quit my SA. Maybe I'll cheat with DB on the side :ssh:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6na4nFMGYQ

Goddamn that was savage. Yeah this guy is...pretty good.

Also,suicide bombing the monster while wearing the rocksteady mantle will never stop being hilarious.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

No weapons feel bad anymore to me. A few are insainly good. I'll probably just use a greatsword cuz I'm boring

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bad Parenting posted:

What exactly has changed with the hunting horn in world? The encore refreshes all your songs now or something? I had a play with it in the training area but couldn't tell what it was doing.

Basically songs can queue up to three at a time. If you recite it goes down the list starting from the top (or the middle or bottom with R2+tri or O) as long as you let the recital continue (no inputs but movement). When you encore any recited songs are recited a second time.

So I could play the notes for self improvement, attack up and defense up all in a row, recite, wait, and encore after the third song recites, and get all three superbuffed. Basically depends on timing, position, and the monster what you wanna do.

Hunting Horn Is Good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still not sure what the bread and butter damage combo on HH is though, especially in this brave new world of trips not really being a thing. Is it O, forward tri, repeat or O, tri, repeat or what?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After focusing on old favorites last time, I'm going to make a point of killing Barroth with every weapon this round.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jalisr posted:

I'll be making combo DPS comparison videos after the beta, here's a preview. I won't spam the thread with them so just check the channel if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFBC5U9m2AQ

I don't have a PS4 so I can't play the beta. Is there a way to figure out stun values in the training room?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Yes there are weapon tiers. Some super dedicated people speedrun a variety of fights and rank the weapons based on clear speed.

There's a few reasons why posting about it is frowned upon:
1. The gap between weapons isn't that large
2. Not carting should be your first priority
3. Play what you enjoy. If you kill 30 seconds faster in a 5 minute fight who really cares
4. It's usually hbg or more technical weapons top or near top and some people might think the tier list is gospel and have a Bad first time

That being said here's gens tier list.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/163462-monster-hunter-generations/74748468

This is in no way applicable to mhw so go nuts

As you say it literally doesn't matter but I still :smith: a little to see HH at the dead bottom

I AM however pleased and amazed to see Lance so close to the top most of the time, the power to Just Never Stop Poking is strong

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

As you say it literally doesn't matter but I still :smith: a little to see HH at the dead bottom

I AM however pleased and amazed to see Lance so close to the top most of the time, the power to Just Never Stop Poking is strong

This is exactly what I mean when I say ranks don't matter though. Hh can give you poison immunity earplugs stamina etc. These times are world records. Full consumables usually run at 10 life to abuse weapon skills that trigger at low life.

Hh is so gooooood

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

This is exactly what I mean when I say ranks don't matter though. Hh can give you poison immunity earplugs stamina etc. These times are world records. Full consumables usually run at 10 life to abuse weapon skills that trigger at low life.

Hh is so gooooood

Yeah the improvements to HH in World just from having room for useful UI elements is huge, let alone queuing songs. Deffo gonna play it

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Still not sure what the bread and butter damage combo on HH is though, especially in this brave new world of trips not really being a thing. Is it O, forward tri, repeat or O, tri, repeat or what?

Neutral O, Moving O+X over and over. Golf swing into the overhead slam

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

megalodong posted:

Neutral O, Moving O+X over and over. Golf swing into the overhead slam

Sounds good to me. I coulda swore the overhead was a tripping bastard but it doesn't seem to be affecting anyone, so hooray :v:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Tripping seems to be a non-issue in world. I had 2 long swords with me and I don't recall getting tripped at all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

swordfish duelist posted:

Tripping seems to be a non-issue in world. I had 2 long swords with me and I don't recall getting tripped at all.

I've been shoved around a little by longsword users, but it's definitely been toned down from MHGen. It seems you have to be right next to them, almost as if the range for hitting friendly players is lower than the range for hitting monsters.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finally solo'd Rathalos! After God knows how many attempts and just running out of time, I somehow manage to kill him with over five minutes left? :confuoot:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The only problem I've had is idiots bombarding people with cluster shots nonstop.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gunlance shots still trip people.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

people with bows who do nothing but use the rock fall over and over are my mortal enemies

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I rarely use the rock fall. I don't understand the appeal to spamming it. It does like 15 damage total. I'd rather side step charge spam before dragon piercer.

Bows are good y'all. Don't let the morons sour your attitude towards all bow users.

Also just finished a game with a HH user who was not using his songs but was screaming at a DS dude for carting.

I hate people.

Draven fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 23, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

swordfish duelist posted:

I rarely use the rock fall. I don't understand the appeal to spamming it. It does like 15 damage total. I'd rather side step charge spam before dragon piercer.
How does it interact with status effect coatings?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The real use of the rock rain is that it deals impact damage, so you can stun the monster if you can hit its head enough. Lol if randos can aim that well, though.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Tamba posted:

How does it interact with status effect coatings?

I haven't tested it extensively but I don't think it does more than a single status effect.

I could be severely wrong though. Like I said I rarely use it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

in fact all bow users are my enemy

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Arrow rain is one of the strongest KO tools in the game so if you don't have a KO user it's a good role for the bow to take. It only applies one or two ticks of status and doesn't do tons of damage (scales with charge level like everything else but still not nearly as much as a good piercer) so it's not a main dps tool, more of a situational thing. Don't use it if your KO guy is a CB or SnS cause it'll stun the poo poo out of em but a Hammer user can ignore it by keeping the power charge buff up. Bow+Hammer is like 4 KO's in one fight easy.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011

Ojetor posted:

I don't have a PS4 so I can't play the beta. Is there a way to figure out stun values in the training room?

No :negative:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ok. How do you rockfall vs tripleshot with bow. It seems random to me.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

It's really really not applicable to MHW. Even beyond the fact that MHW has been changed up from every previous game, that particular game had hunting styles and hunting arts that made it even more atypical. The lance in particular had some very good arts and one style that gave a big boost to the finishing thrust after a charge, so high-level lance play involved charging into the monster repeatedly and using its arts at the right times. When people start making tier lists for MHW they'll probably bear no resemblance to previous ones.

This is all aside from the fact that people setting those times are crazy good and playing very differently from how almost all of us will play, so if you were to make your own personal tier list from how you play, it would itself bear little resemblance to the world record lists.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Where can you find the new monster in the ancient forest? I ran around in the anjanath quest and couldn't find him.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
He's random. I've found him outside area 1 and 6 already

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Where can you find the new monster in the ancient forest? I ran around in the anjanath quest and couldn't find him.

Assuming you mean Pukei-Pukei, he's a random spawn that will replace one of the non-target monsters on the map, usually Rathalos. Easiest way to find him would be to run straight to the Rathalos nest, and if los is there, reset. If there's no los and no los leavings, then keep looking, he's around.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Some one please give me a big spergy post on how to play Charge Blade. I think I am doing things wrong.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypha posted:

Some one please give me a big spergy post on how to play Charge Blade. I think I am doing things wrong.

Step 1) build charge. Charged circle into triangle builds up charge the fastest and does decent damage, I think more than a three triangle combo?

Step 2) transfer your charge to your shield. Once you're at orange/red charge, store the vials and then press triangle+circle to do a shield bash, then again to start an elemental discharge. You don't want to complete it though, because you want to hit R2 to cancel it and transfer your charge into your shield. Now your axe form deals extra damage, can stun the monster via impact damage, and has a stronger block. Furthermore, you can now do the ULTRA MEGA ELEMENTAL WHATEVER attack, which we'll get to in a moment.

Step 3) charge your sword again, then load the vials. Except now after you load them, you want to hold triangle to start charging your sword. Soon as your shield clamps your sword, release triangle to slam it down, transferring the charge into your sword. Congrats, now your sword also deals bonus damage + impact damage.

Step 4) Time to start trying to land your SUPER DUPER SLAMMY WHAMMY. You'll need quite a lot of range between you and the monster to land it though, and it has a huge windup, so it'll take practice. Keep using your charged circle combo to deal damage and build charge, and put it into your shield + sword as needed - you want both of them charged at all times. When the monster gets knocked down, try to land your huge blast attack. An easy way to do it is to press back+circle after an attack to slide backwards, putting you at the perfect distance to hit the attack. Just slide back and mash triangle + circle. Making sure you have vials and shield charged, of course.

Step 5) don't dodge or block, stupid. Use your super special counter block, GUARD POINT or whatever it's called. During some points in your attacks, your shield is forward, and will auto block. What attacks have this? Who cares, the only one you'll use is triangle+R2, where the guard point is at the very start! This means that as soon as an attack is going to hit press both together and you'll guard point it. Not only is this stronger than your regular block, but if your shield is charged then it deals impact damage! And if your press triangle+circle after it you'll do your super elemental discharge, and whaddaya know since you just blocked an attack, the monster is probably vulnerable to being hit by it!

Tl;dr: keep everything charged, try to hit your super attack by sliding backwards, use guard point

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
1. Hit monster with attacks, especially the charge attacks, until your empty phials are red
2. Fill phials
3. Buff your shield
4. Repeat 1 & 2
5. Transform into axe when you've got a clear shot at some good damage. Circle does the double swing which is really good in axe mode. Aim for the head when possible. Hit R to combo back into sword mode whenever the monster moves.
6. If you've ever got a nice clear shot on the head do the ultra

That's pretty much all you need to know. Keep your phials charged up so you can axe when an opportunity presents itself. Keep your shield charge up so you get a lance quality block. Once you're fine using it normally then read up on guard points and use those when applicable.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Guard point poo poo is easy, people make it sound REALLY overcomplicated. 90% of the time it just boils down to hit triangle+R2 right before an attack hits, and make sure you're facing the monster. Done.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

have people found charging the sword in the CB to be a big deal, damage-wise? i haven't really messed around with it 'cause i keep forgetting it's even a thing and CB still seems plenty drat strong without bothering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
As a total newbie to monster hunter I think I've finally gotten the flow of charge blade down. Being able to poo poo out so many explosions is soooo good. Charge blade is super fun and now I should start learning guard points I guess.