Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hollow Knight is really, really pretty

Heck yeah it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Well, I mean, there IS a dedicated "pet cats" animation in the game, sooo...

*I sigh as I draw my debit card

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Solice Kirsk posted:

*I sigh as I draw my debit card

Wait a few weeks and it'll be on sale for Christmas, I am sure.

Game is very good tho

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Warframe, a gallery of focused on Loki.

https://imgur.com/a/ARl0g

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Breath of the Wild

More light-based exploration games please.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Reality Winner posted:

Breath of the Wild

How 'bout this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/475190/Scanner_Sombre/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How is Steam's video player so loving garbage?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm back playing Medieval 2: Total War and the Pope's called a Crusade:

Yeah, I'm going to sit this one out.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Reality Winner posted:

Breath of the Wild

Look up Echo on steam. More Light then action though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Breath of the Wild

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

subnautica

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oblivion and a minotaur has gotten hold of some bad skooma.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

everspace

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

kinda blasting through Tomb Raider (2013). will see about messing around with a freecam when i've finished it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I can't remember if I shared this here already? Anyway, I was rummaging through some old pictures, found one from a random game in Rocket League. I hope this counts...I mean, really it could serve just as well as an anecdote, but, well..

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just another day in the office for the Earth Defense Force (5)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, I hope they release this in the west and give it a PC port. I haven't jumped on the PS4 yet but this could be the game to do it....

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Samurai Sanders posted:

Fracking got really competitive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Fracking got really competitive.
Those things all got launched from space and slammed into the ground at the same time. Note that that is stage 3. The one before it with the million ants and giant robots and pew pew bullets all over the sky is stage 2.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Samurai Sanders posted:

Those things all got launched from space and slammed into the ground at the same time. Note that that is stage 3. The one before it with the million ants and giant robots and pew pew bullets all over the sky is stage 2.

EDF is in this really weird place where it's simultaneously incredibly stupid, and yet such an obvious concept that I still don't know why it wasn't made earlier. The synopsis sounds like the kind of game you'd expect to find on an NES or in an arcade. At least we have it now. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

EDF is in this really weird place where it's simultaneously incredibly stupid, and yet such an obvious concept that I still don't know why it wasn't made earlier. The synopsis sounds like the kind of game you'd expect to find on an NES or in an arcade. At least we have it now. :allears:
Well, it started its life as a budget PS2 game meant to recall those older games but in 3D, so yeah.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it started its life as a budget PS2 game meant to recall those older games but in 3D, so yeah.

I knew about the budget part, but not that it was an intentional homage. That just makes it cooler.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Best part about edf is that everything is massive. The smallest enemies are still five times your size.

Does kinda suck if you're scared of insects, like me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I saw one of the older games that had a centipede. Seeing it move around in the distance was scary, but if the segments didn't have eyes and just wiggled around, I might have mission failed my pants.

EDF looks more to be an evolution of shmups or games like Advance Wars. There was always intense lag in consoles when you had a handful of moving sprites and if you made it all 3D, the PSX would slow down to a crawl.

Did the franchise start out in a serious tone and localized to be as B-movie as possible?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 23, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did the franchise start out in a serious tone and localized to be as B-movie as possible?
Absolutely not; it's designed to look like a B movie from the very beginning.

The gameplay itself keeps getting better and more refined (and the frame rate is now high and stable) but they've been careful to keep that cheap feeling in the aesthetics.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The 4.1 trailers really lean into the B-movie stuff. :iia:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 23, 2017

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mr.Kattykat posted:

kinda blasting through Tomb Raider (2013). will see about messing around with a freecam when i've finished it

I finished it the other day, it really is beautiful. Surprised it came out in 2013 and looked that good, but then I don't play many new games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Keeshhound posted:

The best part is how they all play it perfectly serious. Sure, it's all cheesy as hell, but at no point do they ever wink at the player and pass it all off as 'ironic'. It's all so ernest and that just leaves you with the biggest grin on your face when your support team celebrate when you've blown up a flying saucer that's dropping giant spiders over Milwaukee.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Digirat posted:

everspace

How's the gameplay? I've been itching to play a non-sim space game for a while but haven't seen anything that immediately grabbed me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heres what I Had to say about it in the steam thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828221&pagenumber=407&perpage=40#post479575867

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
More Assassin's Creed: Origins photos because you can recreate the intro to Hey Arnold in it

this is not the intro to hey arnold but it explains the lack of noses on egyptian statues

sekmet costume is best costume, fight me

DO NOT TAUNT THE HIPPOPOTAMUS

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Saw this thread and figure I'd share some nostalgia from old games and some of my favorite old screenshots.

Fallout 3

Dark age of Camelot

And more recently Hearthstone

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Dark age of Camelot

Are you trying to punch a giant hellbadger in the face?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Age of Empires II HD has some loving insane user-made maps available.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

AC Origins

Bound

Some more from Wipeout Omega

Observer (anyone who liked Soma or is generally into cyberpunk stuff should check this out)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Night in the Woods good

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Night in the Woods good

I really really wanna play this game but I also heard it gets really depressing

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh I'd say bittersweet is probably a better way to describe it, I liked the ending a lot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, depressing isn't the way I'd describe Night in the Woods. Honestly feel the ending was more hopeful.

Edit: Also, it's a really good game, get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not to derail too much but I found the ending to NITW more depressing than any other game I've played this year. Nobody has really addressed any of their problems and Possum Springs will continue to wither away and die while it consumes the lives of Mae's generation. Like everybody gets out of it okay but there's no indication that anything is going to get better for the main cast.