Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
denver was bogus. you could look at the mountains all day but what's the fuckin' point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

those are some really lame mountains

every mountain is like that kals

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

every mountain is like that kals

not latvian mountains, they don't even have the substance matter for landslides

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I have a dude for a roommate for the first time in almost a decade. I think I may be too old for roommates I'm not loving.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not latvian mountains, they don't even have the substance matter for landslides

is 98% of your country below 200m? how bizarre

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

rear end struggle posted:

The Gaising or Gaiziņkalns, at 1,022 feet (311,94) above sea level, is the highest point in Latvia. It is situated a short distance to the west of the town of Madona, central Vidzeme.

Flat places can still be beautiful. :colbert:

Latvia:

Northern lights are beautiful everywhere so that one might be cheating but I dont care.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mooyashi posted:

living in the mountains is great

I miss it a lot. I like Anchorage a lot more than Denver tho.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I will also admit that flying over the Rockies I was going :eyepop: for a good 40 minutes. They are loving huge.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Furnaceface posted:

I will also admit that flying over the Rockies I was going :eyepop: for a good 40 minutes. They are loving huge.

BC is the coolest

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Volkerball posted:

BC is the coolest

Also unfortunately filled with the worst Canadians.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is 98% of your country below 200m? how bizarre

yeah, i grew up in highlands which amount to some 140m on average (160m in my hometown).

Furnaceface posted:

Flat places can still be beautiful. :colbert:

Latvia:

Northern lights are beautiful everywhere so that one might be cheating but I dont care.

latvia is ugly as hell and i wouldnt be surprised if that aurora pic was shopped as ive never heard of aurora being visible from latvia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

isn't that quebec

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

isn't that quebec

Its close but people from Vancouver are somehow just as racist while also being a unique blend of SV techbro and deep south Republican.

I like forests and apparently Latvia is covered in them so Im probably a bit biased in what I think is pretty. Northern lights can be seen as far south as where I live on nights when light pollution isnt bad so its 100% possible for them to be visible in Latvia. That picture was probably taken with a special camera and wasnt quite as visible to people. But still neat.

e: Its apparently pretty rare to see the northern lights for you. :( At least people there seem pretty dedicated to capturing it when it happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja8k9aiDKuA

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 23, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Furnaceface posted:

Idk, everyone at Whistler was really chill. One dude gave me a Kokanee on the gondola. He was skiing around carrying a cooler.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Volkerball posted:

I miss it a lot. I like Anchorage a lot more than Denver tho.

what took you to alaska?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Denver will probably cool after somewhere like Alabama legalizes weed. In 2014 the census estimate was that 5000 people A MONTH were moving to Colorado, most of them to Denver. Good loving gravy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Idk, everyone at Whistler was really chill. One dude gave me a Kokanee on the gondola. He was skiing around carrying a cooler.

If they gave you a Kokanee they werent being friendly. :v:

Also most of Whistler's population is tourists and transplants from other provinces/countries (whole lot of people from Australia there for some reason).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, i grew up in highlands which amount to some 140m on average (160m in my hometown).

open space always make me feel a bit jumpy as my hometown is ringed by mountains on three sides, so you only see the horizon when looking out to the ocean

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

reminder that volk is the originator of the jagerdewster

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mooyashi posted:

Denver will probably cool after somewhere like Alabama legalizes weed. In 2014 the census estimate was that 5000 people A MONTH were moving to Colorado, most of them to Denver. Good loving gravy.

I got stationed in Alaska when I was in the army. Was there for a couple years. I loved it. And yeah that was right around the time I moved there and it was a mess. The job and housing markets were ridiculous. I was getting paid $2 an hour less and rent for a sublet room clear up in Arvada was more than a decent 2 story house back in Illinois. I imagine if you could make enough to live in lodo or capital hill on 40 hours a week, Denver is incredible, but for me it was hard living. Bartending there was probably fun at least tho.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Furnaceface posted:

Also most of Whistler's population is tourists and transplants from other provinces/countries (whole lot of people from Australia there for some reason).

Kokanee rules. And yeah, I met lots of tourists and smiled politely at all the French Canadians I couldn't understand.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

open space always make me feel a bit jumpy as my hometown is ringed by mountains on three sides, so you only see the horizon when looking out to the ocean

So you would freak the gently caress out in the prairies?

Wait no this:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not freak out per se, but it's just a bit disorienting. and the great plains aren't that bad, the one that's really noticeable is out on the gulf where it's all completely at swamp level

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Its close but people from Vancouver are somehow just as racist while also being a unique blend of SV techbro and deep south Republican.

I like forests and apparently Latvia is covered in them so Im probably a bit biased in what I think is pretty. Northern lights can be seen as far south as where I live on nights when light pollution isnt bad so its 100% possible for them to be visible in Latvia. That picture was probably taken with a special camera and wasnt quite as visible to people. But still neat.

e: Its apparently pretty rare to see the northern lights for you. :( At least people there seem pretty dedicated to capturing it when it happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja8k9aiDKuA

yeah it's the position wrt the magnetic north that matters here (i kinda study auroras :v:), in latvia there is usually jack all wrt visibility in visual spectrum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also we've been steadily deforesting, and latvian forests tend to be an unkempt mess of weather damage

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

big rocks tend to move during big rainstorms and crush you

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Furnaceface posted:

Wait no this:

:yayclod:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

One of the great tregedies if the world is North America is full of loving unbelievable natral beauty and us Americans have hosed it up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

One of the great tregedies if the world is North America is full of loving unbelievable natral beauty and us Americans have hosed it up.

yeah it's pretty ironic that american wildlands must suffer both the natural disasters and the americans

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*ominously* :v:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

i like that netflix literally had to make a show where orcs are a fill in for black people for people to understand racism

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

rear end struggle posted:

i like that netflix literally had to make a show where orcs are a fill in for black people for people to understand racism

It's shadowrun af

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this still going to be a 12-episode anime?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Is this still going to be a 12-episode anime?

It was just Tourism Canada hiring the studio that Makoto Shinkai used for his last movie for a one off thing as far as I know.

Honestly Canada might be beautiful but it would also be boring as hell to make a show about.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i love swamps

ecologists insist on referring to everything here as a "wetland" and it's frustrating, wetland is such an ugly word

swamp!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

australiar posted:

i love swamps

ecologists insist on referring to everything here as a "wetland" and it's frustrating, wetland is such an ugly word

swamp!

Wetland is just a general terms isnt it? Bogs, fens, marshes and swamps are all wetlands but have very specific characteristics.

Im more of a marsh person. Lots of tiny wildlife live in marshes but its also pretty accessible to large animals. :3: No trees though, so if you like trees I think that is more of a fen or swamp thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

10-15 years ago I probably would've been able to narrow it down to maybe half a dozen possibilities but as things stand I have no idea where you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

• Locked thread