Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
(don't read the comments, ect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdm8rpv045U

i cri evry tiem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

The popular hate that the Prequels generated helped shape the current state of Star Wars post Disney buy out.

So maybe people who watch Star Wars are conditioned to believe that if they're loud enough and angry enough about a Star War thing, they can change the future of the franchise?

It kinda helped gently caress with EA over Battlefront 2 and that bullshit. I suppose it's only natural for the upset masses who felt the subversion of expectations in TLJ were an attack on their core franchise beliefs is cause enough to try and gently caress over Disney/LucasFilm.

Spread bad word of mouth, start boycotts, petitions, rant and rave on YouTube etc etc.

I just hope it doesn't work and that Rian Johnson doesn't get shitcanned because of it. Also, gently caress those guys.

TLJ was bad but at the end of the day it’s hard to stress too much about it when you know there’s 5 billion more Star Wars movies coming most of which by directors and writers who probably are like 8 years old right now or some poo poo and I’m bound to like some of them as much as I liked the non-TLJ Star Wars movies so who cares, no amount of bad movies is going to Ruin Star Wars or retroactively make the previous ones not good

But if a bunch of angry nerds can prevent Rian Johnson getting the chance to write and direct some other bullshit I’m all for it. Looper sucked butt and that dude’s round head belongs in a toilet

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

One thing that struck me as odd: Why are Finn and Rose flying speeders in the end battle? They aren't pilots. They're janitor-warriors..

For the same reason [they let Luke get in an x-wing at the end of ANH to be one of like 5 people who would attack the death star, even though the only person in the Rebellion who even knew him at that point was Leia

The one I can never overlook though is how odd it is that at the end of TFA, the Resistance somehow feels that Rey is the best person to go to Ach-To and find Luke. They barely know this woman! And now the fate of the galaxy is in her hands? Why not just send Leia, or some trusted General?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Someone posted this in the spoiler thread, but I thought it was pretty insightful so crossposting it here.

Angry Salami posted:

So, talking about Snoke. I didn't like Snoke in TFA, wasn't impressed by him at all, he's goofy looking and has a stupid name. All the fan theories about his origin just came across as totally idiotic, and I'm quite happy to learn he was just a prop to set things up and can now be discarded.

However.

TLJ does make his background seem a lot more important, yet refuses to elaborate. Not who he is or where he came from, that's irrelevant. But he is now very important to Kylo and Luke's stories, and it does seem like there's a gap there.

Snoke influenced Kylo towards the Dark Side. Was he specifically targeting Ben, or was Ben just more easily swayed than Luke's other students? That's relevant backstory. Does he even know it was Snoke who was influencing him? That seems kind of relevant. When did they meet, and how did Snoke convince Ben to team up with him and the First Order, instead of heading off and starting his own little empire with his own followers? Again, that's important for understanding why Kylo has only now turned on him.

And then there's Luke. Luke knows Snoke was influencing Kylo, but never acted against him. This... doesn't ring true to me. Alright, he feels guilt over his own role in Ben's fall – but shouldn't he be down right furious that some new Sith was force-molesting his nephew? Did Luke think Snoke was too powerful to confront? Why? When?

And these are all plot points that TLJ itself raised, not left-over mysteries from TFA. The Emperor could be more of a cypher because the old trilogy wasn't Vader's story to the same degree as this one is Kylo's. As it is, it feels like the lack of detail about Snoke is leaving gaps in a main character's motivations and characterisation, and I can see why people think something's missing here.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Jewmanji posted:

For the same reason [they let Luke get in an x-wing at the end of ANH to be one of like 5 people who would attack the death star, even though the only person in the Rebellion who even knew him at that point was Leia

The one I can never overlook though is how odd it is that at the end of TFA, the Resistance somehow feels that Rey is the best person to go to Ach-To and find Luke. They barely know this woman! And now the fate of the galaxy is in her hands? Why not just send Leia, or some trusted General?

Luke knew Biggs who vouched for his piloting skills.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

(don't read the comments, ect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdm8rpv045U

i cri evry tiem

Best part is when Mark Hameal says that its only a movie so don't expect to go into the theater and recapture your childhood.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

I get it. It's Star Wars. I'm just saying the poster's question about TLJ has the same justification in previous movies, which is all kind of weak and unbelievable from a realism perspective, but you're not supposed to think too hard about it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yaws posted:

Of course not because Bens fall has no explanation. Anakins fall made sense. It was understandable

Why did Ben Solo fall to the dark side? EHHHH???!??!

OK, I'm still eight pages behind reading this thread and this is now from 3 days ago, but you are a notorious prequel hater, and to be fair I don't specifically know that you have made this point in the past, but a major gripe I've seen a lot of prequel haters have is that they feel Anakin's fall is totally nonsensical and therefore without dramatic weight. You're going on record now that the reverse is true?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pops Mgee posted:

Yeah, Luke was a hot shot pilot and that thing he plays with was his ship. Biggs said he was able to shoot little rats which foreshadows him aiming down the exhaust of the Death Star.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Because Rey could use the force and seemed to have some kind of destined link with Luke's lightsaber? Plus sending your actual leader away on a lone mission seems like a bad idea.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

OK, I'm still eight pages behind reading this thread and this is now from 3 days ago, but you are a notorious prequel hater, and to be fair I don't specifically know that you have made this point in the past, but a major gripe I've seen a lot of prequel haters have is that they feel Anakin's fall is totally nonsensical and therefore without dramatic weight. You're going on record now that the reverse is true?

Adam Driver being a nazi because he’s a pathetic insecure dork makes more sense than Darth Vader switching sides in a war because he was afraid his wife would leave him.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, Luke was a hot shot pilot and that thing he plays with was his ship. Biggs said he was able to shoot little rats which foreshadows him aiming down the exhaust of the Death Star.

Actually they were pretty big rats.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

business hammocks posted:

Adam Driver being a nazi because he’s a pathetic insecure dork makes more sense than Darth Vader switching sides in a war because he was afraid his wife would leave him.

Was that really your takeaway from Revenge of the Sith?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

mace windy was about to kill the one guy who seemed to be able to help him with his wife = dead problem
opera scene is good and also has some of the best memes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx52--WmLQs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hux and Kylo being near explicitly coded as alt right dweebs is my favourite part of these movies.

Snoke is Steve Bannon

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Hux and Kylo being near explicitly coded as alt right dweebs is my favourite part of these movies.

Snoke is Steve Bannon

tbh i don't love this read because it gives the alt-right the importance they want but don't deserve

the first order effectively has control of the entire galaxy and vast military power; the alt-right are just racist internet shut-ins who think they matter because the guy they made memes of became president

(also these films haven't gone nearly enough into the first order's actual ideology for this to fit, they're just kinda generic authoritarians)

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Is this thread referring to Finn as a janitor a joke? He wasn’t actually a janitor. I can’t tell if I’m being whooshed.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
In TFA he said his job was "sanitation" and then later displays knowledge of where to find the trash compactor. You're right to be confused because our introduction to him is as a shock trooper committing My Lai on a bunch of villagers in search of Luke Skywalker. So he's either the First Order equivalent of Seal Team Six or he mops floors. The movie couldn't make up its mind.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

beejay posted:

Is this thread referring to Finn as a janitor a joke? He wasn’t actually a janitor. I can’t tell if I’m being whooshed.

he was a janitor, though; tfa establishes this(that opening scene was his first time in combat) and tlj also references it when he mentions that the best guy to get them towards the mcguffin they need to gently caress with to escape is the guy who mopped where it's being held

the real question is why the hell did he go from a janitor to being on the frontlines

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

beejay posted:

The only parts of Finn's stormtrooper duties that have been at all relevant to his character or the plot are latrine duty at Starkiller Base and mopping the room with the hyperspace tracker on Snoke's personal flagship.

Do not think too hard about the fact that Finn knew about Starkiller Base and could have told Poe, or that he knew about First Order tracking tech and could have told literally anyone

Zoran fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 23, 2017

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Oh poo poo I forgot. I thought it was his cover story to not seem like a bad guy. My bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also on a more meta level finn is really obviously just a janitor because they wanted a former stormtrooper who changes sides but disney was too cowardly to actually have innocent blood on a protagonist's hands

so finn is in this weird state of culpable and not culpable at all

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm somewhat interested in the numbers around movies and I've mentioned in other subforums (not having posted here before) that I think that TLJ will not be the number-one movie at the end of 2017 like Empire Strikes Back was; I think it will be third or fourth, like Attack of the Clones. I think it's final tally at the global box office will be in the region of $900 million or so.

Most of my information comes from the commentators on the Forbes site, but their two main movie writers seem to have mixed views at the moment: the one who liked it is optimistic and the one who disliked it is pessimistic and they seem to be drawing different conclusions from the same information. I don't completely understand exactly how all the numbers work; someone here might. Is my assessment of how well the movie will do realistic?

(Excuse me if this is the wrong thread to ask in - I saw that there's another but assumed this was the general one.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

It doesn't seem unlikely to me that a member of this military dictatorship could be rotated from sanitation duty to combat duty.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If the characterization was well-considered, you wouldn't have to bend and stretch the narrative that the story delivers to you in order to make basic sense of who the heroes are and where they come from. This isn't one of those subtleties that is meant to be picked over and debated, it's just "incoherent", to borrow a term from a prequel detractor. There's deliberate ambiguity, which is what Star Wars often excels at, and there's inconsistent plotting and characterization for the sake of convenience, which is what TFA seems to lean on an awful lot.

This is just a more minor version of the First Order discussion that I think even sequel trilogy fans have conceded- that the First Order makes no sense in terms of plot or politics, and was shoehorned into TFA as a mechanism by which the dynamic between plucky rebels and towering Empire could be reset.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 23, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

It doesn't seem unlikely to me that a member of this military dictatorship could be rotated from sanitation duty to combat duty.

On a meta level he was just cleaning up the villagers on his first combat mission, as well. He didn't do anything related to Tekka or Poe.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

the real question is why the hell did he go from a janitor to being on the frontlines

That's your big mystery? He served well on the poo poo detail and was reassigned to the front line. Wow.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i was being glib because the whole situation keeping finn's stormtrooper hands clean felt real contrived and worsened his character arc, i don't actually think it's a big mystery

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The reveal of Finn in the very first teaser is brilliant, and everything subsequent has been Saturday morning cartoon bullshit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not like the idea of a stormtrooper who has never successfully shot anyone even after years on the front line is particularly implausible for a Star Wars movie.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Second viewing it just gets better. This time I didn't laugh. At all. None of the jokes hit, but I think that is due more to me paying attention to little details more this time. Amazing movie. Tied with ESB and RTOJ.

Luke in this is just every single old that is in the military but didn't retire. He was absolutely believable to me, and the growth of his character in to what was shown in TLJ was fantastic to me.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The original trilogy films are fairly shallow on the surface, but have a surprising amount of depth.

The prequel trilogy looks shallow on the surface and is exactly as shallow as it looks.

The Force Awakens was like the prequels in that regard, only more entertaining cause it wasn't so bogged down and pretentious.

The Last Jedi seems weighty and more thematically hefty on a first impression, but the more I think about it the less depth it seems to have.

Mark Hamill is great in it though, as are most of the actors, elevating a script that just doesn't sit well with me. The visuals are generally quite solid. I'm not a "hater."

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

CountFosco posted:

The prequel trilogy looks shallow on the surface and is exactly as shallow as it looks.

:thunk:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
To be fair, I can't speak for return of the sith, as after attack of the clones I simply couldn't bring myself to watch it. So perhaps that third one is good? I'll never know.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh my GOD

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels are obviously more semiotically dense than the originals, even if you didn't like them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CountFosco posted:

The Last Jedi seems weighty and more thematically hefty on a first impression, but the more I think about it the less depth it seems to have.

Mark Hamill is great in it though, as are most of the actors, elevating a script that just doesn't sit well with me. The visuals are generally quite solid. I'm not a "hater."
Yeah that’s kind of my feeling as well. It keeps wanting you to think it has a lot of depth but it’s not there. It goes on and on about letting go of the past but when the movie is over I don’t get the impression that anything like that has happened.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CountFosco posted:

To be fair, I can't speak for return of the sith, as after attack of the clones I simply couldn't bring myself to watch it. So perhaps that third one is good? I'll never know.

I understand not liking the prequels but calling them shallow is being willfully ignorant. You should read this thread

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Powered Descent posted:

One thing that struck me as odd: Why are Finn and Rose flying speeders in the end battle? They aren't pilots. They're janitor-warriors..

Remember when Finn couldn't even pilot a TIE fighter in TFA and barely figured out how to shoot the thing? Now that he's spent time in the ICU he's a competent pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

s.i.r.e. posted:

Remember when Finn couldn't even pilot a TIE fighter in TFA and barely figured out how to shoot the thing? Now that he's spent time in the ICU he's a competent pilot.

There was obviously some Matrix level knowledge downloading going on in that bacta suit