Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dear thread, it’s Christmas season and I’m cleaning out my parents’ basement. Does anyone need about twenty old plastic Game Boy cartridge cases?

These:

Phoneposting so I hope this works... which it did not but you know the ones. Free to good home.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Between the Disney, D&D, and Marvel licenses (which they all knocked out of the park), Capcom set the bar pretty high and I doubt many could match them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

As someone who worked on the Neverwinter Nights 2 games for Obsidian, PLEASE someone, ANYONE get the rights away from Atari/Infogrames. Go back in time if you have to.

Do you know who was responsible for making the debug NPC the rear end in a top hat DM from the cartoon? I need to hurt them.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do you know who was responsible for making the debug NPC the rear end in a top hat DM from the cartoon? I need to hurt them.

I am not going to doxx somebody over some poo poo that happened over 10 years ago.

But yes. I know the person. Was also the same person that decided female half-orcs walked with a switch. I am ashamed to know this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In the ongoing story of one of the main Traveller's Tales guys doing neat stuff with their old games, there's now an official Steam Workshop download version of his patches to Genesis Sonic 3D Blast to improve the controls, add back in Super Sonic, implement an overworld and password save system, and so on. Basically it's to do all the sorts of stuff originally planned for the game that never ended up making it in before it needed to be released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBeppQgFGw
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1241378226

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I am not going to doxx somebody over some poo poo that happened over 10 years ago.

But yes. I know the person. Was also the same person that decided female half-orcs walked with a switch. I am ashamed to know this.

Oh I wouldn't do anything untoward. Just if you see them again, consider giving them a wedgie.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dear thread, it’s Christmas season and I’m cleaning out my parents’ basement. Does anyone need about twenty old plastic Game Boy cartridge cases?

These:

Phoneposting so I hope this works... which it did not but you know the ones. Free to good home.

Sure

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
PM me.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cab's no longer a poo hole, bless u simple green

still have to clean the brown stuff from every smaller part tomorrow though, which is probably going to be way worse work than cleaning these large pieces

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Anyone here using FirebrandX's Pixel Purist Framemeister profiles with the GameCube and/or the Game Boy Player? I can't get any of his GC profiles to work at all, the Framemeister just doesn't want anything to do with them and won't even show an image or play any audio when I load them up. I know those profiles were made for NTSC GameCubes with component cables, but I don't see any reason why they'd completely fail to work on a PAL system using RGB.

I guess I could still load up the profiles, copy the scaler and zoom settings and adjust them manually on a new profile, but that's a bit of a pain in the rear end. Oh well.

edit: What the gently caress, it just started working. While I was copying down the settings, I accidentally pressed the DVI button on the Framemeister remote and the image somehow showed up, then I switched back to HDMI and it works now! :psyduck:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 24, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

Anyone here using FirebrandX's Pixel Purist Framemeister profiles with the GameCube and/or the Game Boy Player? I can't get any of his GC profiles to work at all, the Framemeister just doesn't want anything to do with them and won't even show an image or play any audio when I load them up. I know those profiles were made for NTSC GameCubes with component cables, but I don't see any reason why they'd completely fail to work on a PAL system using RGB.

I guess I could still load up the profiles, copy the scaler and zoom settings and adjust them manually on a new profile, but that's a bit of a pain in the rear end. Oh well.

edit: What the gently caress, it just started working. While I was copying down the settings, I accidentally pressed the DVI button on the Framemeister remote and the image somehow showed up, then I switched back to HDMI and it works now! :psyduck:

Did you change the input to RGB? if he made them for NTSC gamecubes they would probably default to Component, just like the profiles for every other console default to RGB.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you change the input to RGB? if he made them for NTSC gamecubes they would probably default to Component, just like the profiles for every other console default to RGB.
Oh yeah, it must've defaulted to component when I loaded the profile, and then when I accidentally switched output mode from HDMI to DVI and back, it probably went to RGB. Turns out I'm an idiot, not that there's anything new about that. :downs:

Now when I load one of the GC/GBP profiles, it automatically goes to RGB. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

d0s posted:

cab's no longer a poo hole, bless u simple green

still have to clean the brown stuff from every smaller part tomorrow though, which is probably going to be way worse work than cleaning these large pieces

Is the inside of the Marquee yellow due to lovely plastic or because of years of smoke filled arcades? I don't know what the 90s smoking situation was in jp.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Man, Burnout 2 is a really loving good game. The career mode is surprisingly bare-bones compared to Burnout 3 (only eight championships and a handful of pursuit and face-to-face events), but then again this was made on a much smaller budget. It still plays really well, has a decent selection of cars and tracks, and is a ton of fun. 3 is still my favorite in the series, but 2 is a close second.

I'm still not sure why I didn't buy Burnout 2 back in the day, but it probably had to do with the first game being a bit underwhelming. I jumped back in with Burnout 3 after hearing a lot of good things about it, and I guess I thought it would be hard to go back to the second game after playing the poo poo out of 3.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

falz posted:

Is the inside of the Marquee yellow due to lovely plastic or because of years of smoke filled arcades? I don't know what the 90s smoking situation was in jp.

Like chimneys, as I understand it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zebulon posted:

Like chimneys, as I understand it.

You can tell from melted control panels

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guys! A thing happened! https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3354/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

Yes they smoked a lot in JP arcades (and still do) but the area around the marquee and speakers is just famous for yellowing, like if you google image search "new astro city" you'll find pictures of yellowed ones, and pictures of painted ones and like nothing inbetween. The rest of the cab is made of a fiberglass like material called PDCPD (edit: actually its nothing like fiberglass) but that thing around the marquee is made of normal ABS treated with that flame retardant stuff that causes things to yellow. The original coin slot is also affected by this. I'm sure the smoking helps it along but this is one of those things that just inevitably yellows.

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 24, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If it's ABS can you Retrobright it?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

If it's ABS can you Retrobright it?

yeah but apparently it just comes back really quick because that flame retardant chemical is so prominent in it. these things yellowed in like a month out of the factory apparently. honestly I'm just going to leave it alone because it's pretty much the standard look for the NAC

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Dude, thanks for the link, this is very cool! Is it any better than the Advance versions? Or is it a gen behind and not worth playing?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Man, Burnout 2 is a really loving good game. The career mode is surprisingly bare-bones compared to Burnout 3 (only eight championships and a handful of pursuit and face-to-face events), but then again this was made on a much smaller budget. It still plays really well, has a decent selection of cars and tracks, and is a ton of fun. 3 is still my favorite in the series, but 2 is a close second.

I'm still not sure why I didn't buy Burnout 2 back in the day, but it probably had to do with the first game being a bit underwhelming. I jumped back in with Burnout 3 after hearing a lot of good things about it, and I guess I thought it would be hard to go back to the second game after playing the poo poo out of 3.

I find it kind of sad that the Burnout series died an ignoble death. The earlier games were fun, Burnout Paradise was perfect (we're coming up on the 10th anniversary of it in a month, too), and then EA seems to have put a pillow over the series's face in its sleep. My guess is that they decided that only one racing game series could exist and Need for Speed was it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

2013 Most Wanted wasn't bad and was kinda Paradise 2. After that though. Yeeeah. The two games the people who left Criterion made were very..ungood, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

2013 Most Wanted wasn't bad and was kinda Paradise 2. After that though. Yeeeah. The two games the people who left Criterion made were very..ungood, too.

And before it the only NfS game I think is worth mentioning is the original Hot Pursuit (not Criterion's Hot Pursuit).

I got a Saturn copy of the original Need for Speed about a week ago since it was only $2 and I thought, "Oh, maybe I'm being too hard on the game in my memory." I wasn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I loved NFS1 because I got it with my PSX and the idea of "quit back to main menu" instead of hitting reset blew my brain out of my tiny skull.

It uh, hasn't aged well.

2's menu music is still stuck in my head though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I got a Saturn copy

I am not the biggest NFS fan but this might be the problem, Saturn versions of stuff like that were usually not very good. I love the Saturn but ports of PC games were not its strong suit

e: actually NFS was originally a 3DO game but I think that was a much easier system to program 3D for

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I tried one of the Criterion NFS games and it was possibly the most boring thing I've encountered, even compared to other NFS games. Like, even that NFS Porsche game, which is the most middle of the road thing on the planet, was more entertaining. I was expecting the cars flying in from every possible angle style action of a Burnout game. I got into a race within a couple hours of starting the game, came around a corner on a long straight halfway through the course and just saw a line of CPU cars ahead of me driving sedately down the road, perfectly evenly spaced and going the same speed. It was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had with any video game.

On the other hand, I've been playing a lot of Burnout Paradise lately and it's nearly perfect, apart from the number of points you're expected to get in stunt mode into the endgame. 125,000+ in a minute and change, and I'm still 70+ missions from 100%ing, so it's only going to get worse? No way.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure the Saturn version of Need for Speed is perfectly fine, as far as ports of that game go. It's super comparable to the PS1 version, according to DF Retro, with the only notable loss being the in-game soundtrack (which you can just play on your computer in the background or something, I guess?).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm pretty sure the Saturn version of Need for Speed is perfectly fine, as far as ports of that game go. It's super comparable to the PS1 version, according to DF Retro, with the only notable loss being the in-game soundtrack (which you can just play on your computer in the background or something, I guess?).

ah k, I really don't know much about that particular game and was just going by my memories of other saturn ports that were better on PC or PSX. saturn's great for original sega titles or other exclusives, and stuff from the ST-V arcade system but back then 3D multiplatform games on it had a bad rap

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shadow Hog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLXLhaGfFA

Yeah might as well link to the video. It's a very deep dive on that first game and a great watch.

I bought the PS1 version back in the day and still have the original long box somehow. Loved the hell out of it then, but man is it ancient feeling at this point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I played the PC version originally and didn't care for the game, though it's been more than twenty years so I thought maybe it was just my memory. But it's a really bland racer that didn't have a whole lot more than technical flare to recommend it when it was released. In the last days of 2017, that doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So does Super Famicom Wars not have a story mode? It looks great and the translation appears to be well done, but man I'm spoiled by the GBA games.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

That feel when you won't be getting one of these for christmas.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The two games the people who left Criterion made were very..ungood, too.
Danger Zone was such a disappointing mess. On paper, a game based entirely on the Burnout crash junctions doesn't seem too bad but it's just so bland and ugly with its extremely brown "virtual crash test facility" aesthetic, and the damage model (unless they fixed that post-launch) is barely existent with no chassis deformation whatsoever.

As for the original Need for Speed, I really like the 3DO version. The car handling is much more responsive than the later ports, and the whole thing feels more like a chill driving game (kind of like OutRun) than a generic arcade racer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Incidentally at Christmas Eve party tonight, my cousin's kids who live in London but are back here in the states for the holidays wanted to play something on the Xbox One down in the basement. So I logged in my account (since my other cousin's account on it only had call of duty stuff they're way too young for) and did a selection of games that seemed a) simple to play and b) wouldn't make my cousin mad that they'd play them and c) download fast because the wifi down there sucks for speed.

In the end i got the Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3 games installed as well as Hydro Thunder Hurricane for 360, and Uno and Daytona USA's 360 remaster.

They loved Hydro Thunder Hurricane (the younger one could hardly play due to lack of understanding how to use a controller properly. The older one got a better grasp on using triggers, face buttons, and control sticks together to play, though he trended to only swipe left stick to the far left or far right rather than more measured turns. Both of htem try to tilt and thrash the controllers around too much.

They liked Daytona USA where they had a better time staying on track but still didn't place well.

Then we tried Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, where they definitely liked 3 better even though it was harder. Frequently it was hard for them to remember how jump over something and keep moving in the direction you wanted. It seemed setting them down patiently they should be able to handle it well on their own. They would argue over who got to be the fox or the hedegehog, and ask why it was dr robotnik became evil

They also tried Slime Rancher a little bit and while it's modern, they still had trouble handling the controller, trying to do things too much like a smartphone tilt to move game..

Very interesting to see the difficulties in getting them to just understand the control method!

Edit: On the whole, I think i've got them interested in "the fox and the hedgehog from sonic" and "more things to do" racer games in comparison to their tablet tilt based games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

How did they like Mitsuyoshi and his amazing vocals?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

fishmech posted:

On the whole, I think i've got them interested in "the fox and the hedgehog from sonic" and "more things to do" racer games in comparison to their tablet tilt based games.
This whole post made me feel :corsair: as gently caress. I'm aware that mobile games are what younger kids nowadays are used to and they don't necessarily know how to work a controller, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

And yes, we need to hear their opinions on Daytona USA's kickin' rad soundtrack.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doc Morbid posted:

This whole post made me feel :corsair: as gently caress. I'm aware that mobile games are what younger kids nowadays are used to and they don't necessarily know how to work a controller, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

And yes, we need to hear their opinions on Daytona USA's kickin' rad soundtrack.

Well these kids are 3 and 6. Tbh when I was either of those ages in the same basement at my aunts house where there'd be an NES or SNES at the time, I was pretty useless at holding those controls for a while.

They did like the Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaa music though!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Actually them asking about why Robotnik was evil reminds me of when I was playing Shadow of the Colossus in front of my niece who was.. seven maybe, at the time. She asked what I was doing and I said "Well, this boy has to defeat these big guys to save a girl."

She thought for a second then just asked, "But what if they're good?"

Kids, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

fishmech posted:

Well these kids are 3 and 6. Tbh when I was either of those ages in the same basement at my aunts house where there'd be an NES or SNES at the time, I was pretty useless at holding those controls for a while.
Yeah... I think I was about 6 when I tried Super Mario Bros for the first time, and it didn't go very well. I had played some computer games by that point, but this weird rectangular controller thing just baffled me. What do you mean I don't press up to jump?