Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Still got that humblebrag touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Phanatic posted:

There are well over 1000 Long EZs out there, it's generally regarded as a safe and forgiving plane to fly.What killed Denver was (as fatal accidents usually are), a combination of several factors:

1. The guy who built this particular plane stuck the fuel gauge and the fuel tank selector switch behind the pilot. So the pilot can't see the gauge himself, without waving a mirror around in the cockpit. Also, he can't turn the switch without contorting around and reaching behind himself. And when he does this, his foot pushes against one of the rudder pedals.
2. He'd been told the plane was low on fuel but for whatever reason he didn't bother fueling.
3. While he was an experienced pilot with 2700 hours and ratings for a wide variety of planes including multi-engine, seaplanes, gliders, and Learjets, this was a very new aircraft for him and he only had a couple of check flights in it.

And if you think that looks cool (and I agree):

https://www.google.com/search?q=rut...iw=1353&bih=878

There are definitely personality types for whom purchasing a small plane isn't so much BWM as it is an overly-elaborate suicide plan. But I don't think Denver was one of those. Incidentally, his father was a supersonic nuclear bomber pilot who set several world speed records in a B-5B.

He also had his pilots license pulled after his two DWIs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

kimbo305 posted:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BigDave posted:

He also had his pilots license pulled after his two DWIs.

Denver or his dad?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Midjack posted:

Do it. We have a lot of folks knowledge but I haven't seen a detailed analysis of exactly how terrible they are. There are probably some undiscovered laffs to mine there.

Colin Mockery posted:

They’re horribly exploitative but I don’t know that I’d consider them BWM if you literally have no alternatives (because your parents tanked your credit score or you overdrafted too often or whatever).

(I would still be interested in hearing more.)

Cool, I'll try to find my old notes. I'll probably post after Christmas.

Yeah, "horribly exploitative" is a better description than "BWM". I didn't go too much into why people use these services but yeah its a combination of having no choice and financial illiteracy which isn't really someone's choice either.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Denver or his dad?

Denver, but his dad wouldn't surprise me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Again, there are regional and super-regional banks out there that don't care about a Chexsystems record unless it either says you committed outright fraud or that institution is the one the took a loss. So a Wells Fargo does not necessarily care if you cratered an account at B of A, but if you owe money to Wells of course they wouldn't open it unless you paid them back. If all it is is an overdrawn account for a few hundred dollars, it is totally possible to open an account somewhere. Anyone committing empty envelope deposit fraud gets what they deserve.

Some people do have judgements out there that will lead to them having anything garnished that they do put in there. And then they have to pay a garnishment fee. Those people should probably just declare bankruptcy, but if they don't or can't afford to, it is going to be better for them to pay to cash checks. A lot of them don't have the financial stability to be able to manage an account properly and not get overdrawn.

While I don't have a lot of love for check cashing places or for payday lenders, it is important to understand that while they charge high fees, they aren't raking it in as much as you would think. Check cashers get hit with a lot of fraud, and payday lenders deal with a HUGE default rate. The question is basically whether that kind of service should exist at all, because with the risk profile of that market segment you need to charge enough that it is punitive to the people that DO pay back.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/01/underbanked-servon/513542/

quote:

In recounting her work as a check casher, Servon notes that she was initially confused by some of her customers’ choices. In one example, Carlos (Servon identified him only by his first name), a construction worker who stopped by RightCheck frequently to have his checks cashed, handed over a check for $5,000 for cashing, which required a 1.95 percent fee—$97.50. Servon questions why Carlos would willingly pay such a large fee—plus the $10 tip he leaves Servon—instead of just depositing the money into a bank account and retrieving the entire sum later for free. Her coworkers at RiteCheck explain why that might not be an option: Carlos has workers to pay, some of whom might require cash for a variety of reasons, including lack of documentation. If Carlos doesn’t get his check until Thursday, a bank likely wouldn’t have the entire thing processed and available by Friday’s payday—24 hours later. In another example, a RightCheck regular comes by to get cash in small denominations and pays a hefty fee for it—despite the fact that there are ATMs in the neighborhood that would charge less, or nothing at all. When Servon, again asks why, she’s reminded that ATMs often only dispense denominations of $20, and check cashing customers often have an immediate need for less than the ATM would allow them to withdraw—and no more. “They pay the two dollars to get the eight dollars now because they can’t wait until their account builds up to twenty dollars,” Servon writes. “This is logical, albeit expensive, behavior.”

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bad With Money: The bus is slowing down to let more people on!

Fake money mining leases + MLM = Wealth Generators. The company started out as a forex scam but has naturally moved on to crypto and has been targeting the same suckers as the makeup/fashion/diet MLMs.

quote:

PV Stands for Personal Volume. Each product subscription has a volume value assigned. Personal Volume is derived from the product subscriptions that you personally sell. Our product subscriptions have volume values that range from 100 PV - 150 PV. When you personally sell a subscription package, your PV increases. Your product subscription, along with others that you sell, counts towards your total personal volume. Personal Volume is calculated only from active product subscriptions.

You must have 400 PV to receive a Wealth Club bonus.

GV stands for Group Volume. Group Volume is the amount of volume attached to the subscriptions sold in your organization. This is the total volume of active product subscriptions in your organization. Your Group Volume includes your Personal Volume.

QGV is your Qualified Group Volume which represents the total qualified volume based on leg maximum rules. (No more than 35% or 40% from any one leg determined by rank.)

quote:

There is a one time $99.99 setup fee.

After the lease contracts are executed, mining will begin within 10 business days. Once mining begins, CRYPTO provides it’s customers daily mining returns. The mining returns will be paid in Ethereum directly to your digital wallet (wallet must accept Ethereum).

Those that elect to share CRYPTO with others, can earn CRYPTO points for each lease contract that they sell. The points per lease contract are listed in the table above. For every 18 CRYPTO points earned, Wealth Generators will award 1 free Generator lease contract!

The CRYPTO points flow up 2 levels in the enrollment tree*. Meaning, if you choose to share CRYPTO with someone and he or she also chooses to share CRYPTO with someone, you get to count all of the CRYPTO points he or she earned as well as the points you earned for the contracts sold.

WG is based on Ethereum, but there are bitcoin ponzi schemes doing the same thing.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
If you could pay MLM people in a new MLM crypto cash and take their worthless fiat money from them. The future is here.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Foma posted:

If you could pay MLM people in a new MLM crypto cash and take their worthless fiat money from them. The future is here.

USI Tech (the bitcoin MLM/ponzi scheme I linked to a review of) is making their own cryptocoin called "Techcoin" so they've got it figured out.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm surprised that a Toyota engine that routinely goes for 200,000 or more miles with nothing more than routine maintenance could be destroyed by two hours of moderately high RPM operation

If you drive it near the redline for two and a half hrs it is gonna overheat

Automatic transmissions have 2 and L positions that prevent it from entering higher gears, pretty common.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 24, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Foma posted:

OneCoin.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

To rule them all and in the asset bubble fueled hysteria behind them?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Bad With Money: The bus is slowing down to let more people on!

Fake money mining leases + MLM = Wealth Generators. The company started out as a forex scam but has naturally moved on to crypto and has been targeting the same suckers as the makeup/fashion/diet MLMs.

WG is based on Ethereum, but there are bitcoin ponzi schemes doing the same thing.

Just wait ‘til we’re Bitcoin?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just wait ‘til we’re Bitcoin?

No, diamond works here too.

Diamond Coins.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

If you drive it near the redline for two and a half hrs it is gonna overheat

Automatic transmissions have 2 and L positions that prevent it from entering higher gears, pretty common.

I did that somewhat recently. Not exactly sure how, but I swapped into L before hitting the highway. About 100 miles in, I realized the engine seemed to be making a lot of noise to maintain speed, and then noticed the tachometer showed > 5k rpm. I was able to put it back into D and continue on, hopefully without any significant damage. I'm honestly surprised that the cruise control system allows itself to get engaged when you're limited to lower gears.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

therobit posted:

To rule them all and in the asset bubble fueled hysteria behind them?

No, it's an MLM scam. Its members makes bitcoiners look like Einsteins.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SpelledBackwards posted:

I did that somewhat recently. Not exactly sure how, but I swapped into L before hitting the highway. About 100 miles in, I realized the engine seemed to be making a lot of noise to maintain speed, and then noticed the tachometer showed > 5k rpm. I was able to put it back into D and continue on, hopefully without any significant damage. I'm honestly surprised that the cruise control system allows itself to get engaged when you're limited to lower gears.

If your engine was in good working order, it should have been fine. There is the occasional motor model whose factory tolerances are such that high revs and low loads lead to premature wear.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Who let AI in here?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cars are BWM, as Mr Money Mustache would be happy to tell you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cars are BWM, as Mr Money Mustache would be happy to tell you.
GWM MMM style: Just uproot your entire life to live in a random cheap town. What do you mean not everyone has a job so portable they can do it from anywhere without even having to deal with getting hired in the new place? :confused:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I just heard about one close to home. I don't know enough of the details to know exactly what happened or how screwed the people involved are, but...

My uncle-in-law just (probably) lost 5 million RMB (750,000 dollars). He invested in a hotel in Beijing. It hasn't opened yet. My wife says it's still just a bare, empty space in a building. The guy running it comes to him saying the landlord is demanding 10 million RMB in rent (apparently they're paying up front for like 10 or more years?) and the project can't go forward until that's paid.

Now that raises a lot of questions, and basically means there's three possible types of situation here (in ascending order of likelihood):

1. The guy running this hotel project is an idiot and didn't know that this rent was going to have to be paid up front. (The uncle definitely is an idiot, because he didn't think to check before handing over SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. In none of these scenarios is the uncle not an idiot.)

2. The guy running the hotel knew about the rent payment but kept this knowledge hidden from potential investors in case it scared people off, which could mean that he would not be able to get enough investors to make the payment.

3. The guy running the "hotel" never had any intention of building the hotel, and is in on the scam with the landlord.

Oh, it gets worse. They MORTGAGED THEIR HOUSE for 2 million RMB (about 300,000 dollars) to make this investment.

The only saving graces here are that the loan is low-interest, and they have income enough to survive this; but holy poo poo god drat this is some industrial-strength BWM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Haifisch posted:

GWM MMM style: Just uproot your entire life to live in a random cheap town. What do you mean not everyone has a job so portable they can do it from anywhere without even having to deal with getting hired in the new place? :confused:

Funny thing is he didn’t even really pick a cheap town, assuming he’s in Longmont CO still. Cheap compared to most tech cities, sure. But you’re still looking at over half a million for a house easy. Maybe you could manage to find something for $300,000, but that’s if you’re lucky.

Disclaimer: I’m using property prices from towns with similar rent, I’ve never even looked at property there. I just know the Boulder County average is over $1,000,000. Basically, for what he’s spending there he could have a mansion and luxury car in an actually cheap area.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 25, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

So MLM snake oil people use magic scanners to pick which snake oil to use
they pay out the nose for them of course

and the result is a BWM singularity

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Youth Decay posted:

So MLM snake oil people use magic scanners to pick which snake oil to use
they pay out the nose for them of course

and the result is a BWM singularity

Essential oils are a special kind of crazy that a lot of suburban moms are getting into. I know an ivy league educated woman who is way i to it and recommends a different oil for every affliction.

Worse than chiropractors. Maybe not, but bad.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm the blue dots over the eyes to protect the horse's right to privacy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of those 'bomb-detecting' scanners used by the US military and later governments in the Middle East, among others, that don't actually do anything. The US military finally stopped using them after spending millions of tax dollars on them, but a lot of other governments and probably airport security do.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Funny thing is he didn’t even really pick a cheap town, assuming he’s in Longmont CO still. Cheap compared to most tech cities, sure. But you’re still looking at over half a million for a house easy. Maybe you could manage to find something for $300,000, but that’s if you’re lucky.

It's cheaper than Boulder, and probably the cheapest of the 3 L's (Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont). But I wouldn't call it extremely walkable, or inexpensive, or...well, much of anything.

It's a boring, car dependent suburb with erratic weather and just enough hippie, pretentious Boulder influence to be slightly irritating to most people.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

It's cheaper than Boulder, and probably the cheapest of the 3 L's (Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont). But I wouldn't call it extremely walkable, or inexpensive, or...well, much of anything.

It's a boring, car dependent suburb with erratic weather and just enough hippie, pretentious Boulder influence to be slightly irritating to most people.

That sounds about right to me. You’re not getting anywhere out of town without either a car or one long bus ride.

That said I might actually be moving there. Thankfully people with mustaches riding bikes are a dime a dozen so I wouldn’t need to know if I saw him.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of those 'bomb-detecting' scanners used by the US military and later governments in the Middle East, among others, that don't actually do anything. The US military finally stopped using them after spending millions of tax dollars on them, but a lot of other governments and probably airport security do.

While nobody can accuse the Pentagon of being GWM, US military never used the ADE 651, though a disappointing amount of aid money we gave Iraq went to paying for those dowsing rods.

Or are you talking about Itemisers and other IMS detectors?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

I know an ivy league educated woman who is way i to it and recommends a different oil for every affliction.

She's hopefully not a science major. If so, BWM for that education.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
plane chat,: my dad was super pumped after he crashed his kit plane because the wreckage was on Google maps satellite

then he was going to buy a kit plane that could transform into a car and I asked him to update his life insurance and will. he's super bad with money but one in ten of his crazy schemes pays off bigly so whatever

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That said I might actually be moving there. Thankfully people with mustaches riding bikes are a dime a dozen so I wouldn’t need to know if I saw him.

This is in effect the reason he gave for moving there.

I would definitely pay a premium to live anywhere I could mutually stand my neighbors.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm sure MMM is a cool guy in person. A certain level of preachyness makes sense for a blog. People don't want to read lukewarm endorsements and opinions.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Moderation and nuance isn't very entertaining.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Cicero posted:

I'm sure MMM is a cool guy in person. A certain level of preachyness makes sense for a blog. People don't want to read lukewarm endorsements and opinions.

The guy is a loving rear end in a top hat, financial advice aside.

"Why would you watch a movie like a loser when you can learn a new skill? Why would you have any enjoyment when you could be a boring piece of poo poo like me?"

The guy is a fuckwit.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

"Why would you watch a movie like a loser when you can learn a new skill? Why would you have any enjoyment when you could be a boring piece of poo poo like me?"

The guy is a fuckwit.
Sounds like we spotted John Smith irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

CelestialScribe posted:

The guy is a fuckwit.

He's just standard internet advice on steroids.

Lose your job? Hit the gym, delete Facebook, always be learning something useful that will make people want your dick. Learn guitar, learn to program, climb walls, learn a language, learn woodworking, profit.

Lose your girlfriend? Hit the gym, delete Facebook, always be learning something useful that will make people want your dick. Learn guitar, learn to program, climb walls, learn a language, learn woodworking, profit.

Dog die? Hit the gym, delete Facebook, always be learning something useful that will make people want your dick. Learn guitar, learn to program, climb walls, learn a language, learn woodworking, profit.

Get a bad grade? Hit the gym, delete Facebook, always be learning something useful that will make people want your dick. Learn guitar, learn to program, climb walls, learn a language, learn woodworking, profit.

You get the picture.

There's a world of people out there offering advice that your life should consist of always doing something "constructive" and frankly, dull. There are far fewer people who actually seem to do this.