Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Oh boy a Tenten episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

10/10

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tarodia posted:

Oh boy a Tenten episode

A purely anime invention, since I don't think her total appearances in the manga amount to even a full chapter's worth of panels.

Being Tenten is suffering.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it just me, or is this retarded?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It's Naruto filler, so y'know.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

yes and yes

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Excellent work focusing on the only asset the creators care about in a Naruto woman there, camera.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That seems like an absurdly unwieldy weapon. Imagine trying to use that against someone who wasn't a filler villain.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That seems like an absurdly unwieldy weapon. Imagine trying to use that against someone who wasn't a filler villain.

Sounds perfect for Tenten then! :downs:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really wish Chili’s wouldn’t openly take a poo poo on one of the greatest ad campaigns of all time. :(

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
it is perhaps odd that I recognize that last line from a DOOM mod, rather than from this show

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
gettin challenged to a duel on ol' darkness hill.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

seriously Gene, you loving suck at being a space captain

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
This is a weird rear end episode

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanna see the cat girl assassin.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Argus Zant posted:

seriously Gene, you loving suck at being a space captain

hey, he was just a dude that took a job from a shady (but cool as hell) lady and fell rear end backwards into being a pirate captain when a bunch of weirdos just decided they lived with him now.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Momomo posted:

hey, he was just a dude that took a job from a shady (but cool as hell) lady and fell rear end backwards into being a pirate captain when a bunch of weirdos just decided they lived with him now.

i guess some people rise to the occasion, and others... just don't, really

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Welp, I guess the crew is dead.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Everyone dead, show over.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Good job, you won because the other guy's gun broke.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

this guy was a really lovely assassin

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I went out tonight so I'm on the west coast feed about to watch Jojo!

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This ED owns

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Probably the smartest villain in the show.

"Hey, how about I just quit my job and get out of this lovely place?"

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Probably the smartest villain in the show.

"Hey, how about I just quit my job and get out of this lovely place?"

speaking of wanting to get out of the business...

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

oh my God, I never knew this episode ended with credits like this

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can someone please tell me what the gay gently caress is Tender Touches?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Can someone please tell me what the gay gently caress is Tender Touches?

it's a new show

I'm afraid that's all we know

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Argus Zant posted:

OH. Right. This skeevy-rear end subplot.

What the gently caress is it even doing in this series? It doesn’t advance the story in any way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

What the gently caress is it even doing in this series? It doesn’t advance the story in any way.

It's creepy as gently caress, but it's meant to be creepy as gently caress, and serves the function of cementing how, despite being shown to be three steps ahead throughout the first season, McGillis has something seriously hosed up going on with how he views the world.

Later developments really put emphasis on how McGillis, due to having the most horrific childhood on the show, (a pretty competitive title he still wins handily) never really grew up.

His grand plan comes from a children's storybook, he doesn't understand why someone would refuse to side with him just for trying to murder his kid, he gets along better with Tekkadan's social difficulties than with his peers, even the ones who, prior to his betrayal, would have gladly given their lives for him. And he doesn't understand why a relationship with Almiria is so loving wrong.

It ties into a lot of the show's themes, and it's meant to creep you out, but yeah. It's not a show I'd recommend to everyone.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

It's creepy as gently caress, but it's meant to be creepy as gently caress, and serves the function of cementing how, despite being shown to be three steps ahead throughout the first season, McGillis has something seriously hosed up going on with how he views the world.

Later developments really put emphasis on how McGillis, due to having the most horrific childhood on the show, (a pretty competitive title he still wins handily) never really grew up.

His grand plan comes from a children's storybook, he doesn't understand why someone would refuse to side with him just for trying to murder his kid, he gets along better with Tekkadan's social difficulties than with his peers, even the ones who, prior to his betrayal, would have gladly given their lives for him. And he doesn't understand why a relationship with Almiria is so loving wrong.

It ties into a lot of the show's themes, and it's meant to creep you out, but yeah. It's not a show I'd recommend to everyone.

Thanks, this helps a bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks, this helps a bit.

Yeah, people were pretty skeeved when it first showed, and the stuff that gives the context is mostly later. First season has hints, but they're only visible (and properly horrifying) with the context season 2 provides.

One of the things that can make IBO a rough watch is how dispassionately it treats atrocities. The usual style for a show tackling an unpleasant topic is to give viewpoint characters who is expected to more or less share the viewer's morality and standards. When a show doesn't go with that, and doesn't compensate by giving a very obvious substitute indication for Not Approving Of This Action, it's easy enough to believe the writers approve. (Dexter comes to mind as a show that forgot that being a serial killer, even if your targets mostly deserve it, is not a good thing.)

Iron Blooded Orphans places its standard viewpoint firmly with Tekkadan, and Tekkadan is a pretty hosed up little band of psychos. Even aside from their basic method of interaction with the world at large being murder, they're orphaned slaves and child soldiers who had to have the concept of funerals explained to them. Equally important, where most shows pick the relatively normal, sympathetic members of a group for the lead, Mikazuki's the most damaged of the lot.

The show tries to use framing tricks and such to try to indicate some of the things it thinks aren't good, but it's easy enough to miss them (I mean, a lot of people didn't pick up on how the first fight of season 1 was Barbatos rising up from the dust, while the second season opened with Barbatos breaking as it crashed down from the heavens, and that's some pretty basic symbolism.). It's somewhat similar to the Breaking Bad problem, where the writers felt sure they'd finally gotten the audience to side against Walt, only to see people discussing how bad a hand poor Heisenburg got dealt, and how he really didn't have a choice. No matter how you depict an immoral action, there's a portion of the audience who will take depiction as approval, and that goes double when the immoral action is committed by a protagonist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans places its standard viewpoint firmly with Tekkadan, and Tekkadan is a pretty hosed up little band of psychos. Even aside from their basic method of interaction with the world at large being murder, they're orphaned slaves and child soldiers who had to have the concept of funerals explained to them. Equally important, where most shows pick the relatively normal, sympathetic members of a group for the lead, Mikazuki's the most damaged of the lot.

A good comparison was with Takaki a few episodes ago. Who left Takkadan feeling they were going down too risky and aggressive a path, and when he did something that Mikazuki did (Executing someone who had hurt them) Takaki instead just felt guilt and remorse.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I’ll be showing the two Hajime No Ippo OVAs this Friday, around 10:00 PM EST.

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 20, 2017

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

fit em all up in there posted:

I’ll be showing the two Hajime No Ippo OVAs this Friday, around 10:00 PM EST.

We'll be starting at 10:30 PM EST, come in to watch Ippo if you want.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I set the playlist up, I'll start it in 15

https://synchtu.be/r/DIrttoDirt

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

fit em all up in there posted:

I set the playlist up, I'll start it in 15

https://synchtu.be/r/DIrttoDirt

Dammit I forgot this was happening.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So room's not open yet, but upon further review of the Muppet video I had, I think I've changed my mind and we'll just watch good old Rudolph tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:tif:

• Locked thread