Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Data Graham posted:

E: Uhh then again maybe not

This looks remarkably like parts of my neighborhood in Los Angeles. Too many little motorbikes, but we do have malls kinda like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Eh...maybe. Except the rich are held to the same contribution caps. They'd have to invest directly in stocks without any pre-tax benefits and I don't know how consistent they'd be, especially when the market is at it's peak. 401k contributions are more consistent in both up and down markets and go directly into managed funds that probably have an outsized impact compared to limiting yourself to individual shares. I'm sure lots of rich people use index funds, buuuuut...they probably buy more individual stocks and IPO's. I'm sure Trump never bragged about that great deal he got on an ETF fund.

This might be one of those 'many sides' kinds of things.

Apparently IRAs are ~38% of stock market capital, but, as of 2013, 81% of stock market wealth was owned by the richest 10% of households (with 38% owned by the top 1%).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Yeah nVidia and AMD are making bank off of bitcoiners

I've been on the other side buying delicious gaming machines for folks at bargain prices.

It's like Meth meets IT

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BlueBlazer posted:

I've been on the other side buying delicious gaming machines for folks at bargain prices.

It's like Meth meets IT

Isn't the mining demand bringing up prices for everyone, or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Isn't the mining demand bringing up prices for everyone, or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

He's saying after people lose interest/realize they've been scammed, they throw their "mining rig" on Craigslist and he's flipping them to gamers for dosh.

I think.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also doesn't mining butts put a lot of stress on graphic cards/hardware and like reduce their lifespan significantly?

Also Donnie threaten nukes on NK probably loving up futures prices for all the stuff made in SK.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dwarf74 posted:

It's a reworked Hillary Clinton animatronic.

It’s Hillary Clinton in a Boris Johnson wig.

If the media picks up on this he’ll comment on it.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

spite house posted:

This looks remarkably like parts of my neighborhood in Los Angeles. Too many little motorbikes, but we do have malls kinda like this.

Do you live in the fashion district? Or maybe the North SFV?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

haveblue posted:

It’s Hillary Clinton in a Boris Johnson wig.

If the media picks up on this he’ll comment on it.

It'd be the most American thing ever if he pissed off Disney and that's somehow what ended up taking him down

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PhazonLink posted:

Also doesn't mining butts put a lot of stress on graphic cards/hardware and like reduce their lifespan significantly?

Also Donnie threaten nukes on NK probably loving up futures prices for all the stuff made in SK.

Yea it's a major problem. Most miners basically kill the hardware by the time they are done with it. It makes buying used kinda risky.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Ularg posted:

Yea it's a major problem. Most miners basically kill the hardware by the time they are done with it. It makes buying used kinda risky.

How do you wear out a GPU/other hardware? Is it something thermal? Actually curious here.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
why does trump take xanax?

for hispanic attacks

Mummy Xzibit posted:

How do you wear out a GPU/other hardware? Is it something thermal? Actually curious here.

yeah, heat related damage. mining basically redlines a GPU constantly, which risks damaging their processors

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

It's literally just Hillary quickly redone to look like Trump. Holy poo poo. I didn't believe it when someone told me that before but...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Yeah, they cause them to run so hot that they can actually catch fire and have burned down at least one bitcoiner's house in the past.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

NewMars posted:

Yeah, they cause them to run so hot that they can actually catch fire and have burned down at least one bitcoiner's house in the past.

Oh that is a really good laugh I'm having right now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish all their houses burned down so we'd reduce the US power consumption by a poo poo load.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Do you live in the fashion district? Or maybe the North SFV?
East Hollywood. I was thinking specifically of the swap meet on Santa Monica between Vermont and Virgil, but there's also a ton of this sort of thing around MacArthur Park and Koreatown.

A great deal of LA has an extremely developing-world vibe in general, which is one reason why the kale-smoothies-and-Kardashians stereotypes piss me off. The whole drat planet is here, man.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

NewMars posted:

Or give them brain damage from heat stroke.

"Lol I feel really lovely sleeping in the same room as my mining rig, I guess I should keep doing it."

Zisky
May 6, 2003

spite house posted:

East Hollywood. I was thinking specifically of the swap meet on Santa Monica between Vermont and Virgil, but there's also a ton of this sort of thing around MacArthur Park and Koreatown.

A great deal of LA has an extremely developing-world vibe in general, which is one reason why the kale-smoothies-and-Kardashians stereotypes piss me off. The whole drat planet is here, man.

Isn't it the best? I can get Brazilian savory pastries in the back of the Argentinean grocery store on Venice about a mile in one direction from my favorite Jamaican restaurant, and a mile in the other direction from one of my favorite Taiwanese restaurants.

Edit: "One of" because LA is a city where I can have three or more favorite Taiwanese restaurants.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 24, 2017

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Still my favorite Bitcoin thing.

My other favorite *coin thing was when Litecoin finally busted in 2014 and I was able to get a brand new Radeon 280x for half price from a miner liquidating stock on Ebay. The card was in the box sealed and still works to this day.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 24, 2017

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Isn't it the best? I can get Brazilian savory pastries in the back of the Argentinean grocery store on Venice about a mile in one direction from my favorite Jamaican restaurant, and a mile in the other direction from one of my favorite Taiwanese restaurants.

Edit: "One of" because LA is a city where I can have three or more favorite Taiwanese restaurants.

I love food too

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cactus Jack posted:

Still my favorite Bitcoin thing.

My favorite part of that story is I've been laughing at it since 2011

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Found this gem on imgur yesterday:

:rolleyes:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hillary timeline looks legit.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

It is the best and I adore it for many reasons, and trying to explain it to people who haven't spent a lot of time here is frustrating as hell. When I think of Los Angeles I think of this teeming, striving tide of all different kinds of humanity all working our asses off in the middle of what is probably, as far as climate and geography, the closest thing to literal heaven on earth. It feels like the world, and is beautiful and magical and scary and amazing, and when I tell people where I'm from and they start talking about Botox and Real Housewives I want to loving punch them.

(My favorite Jamaican is Sattdown in Studio City, but we should probably stop with this because Angelenos Do Go On.)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Did the sad sweater vest guy from the Hillary timeline not make it in the Trump timeline?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Rinkles posted:

Increased demand tends to lower prices in general. If there's any distorting effect, it'll probably be in the form of higher prices for high-end GPUs and lower prices for downmarket GPUs because they're produced by binning and can't be adjusted individually.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Crow Jane posted:

Did the sad sweater vest guy from the Hillary timeline not make it in the Trump timeline?

Sweater vests were outlawed years ago under the Hillary timeline.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/944666444524130304?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

Shuckabee

quote:

"General Kelly, General McMaster, Secretary Tillerson, Secretary Nielsen, and all other senior staff actually in the meeting deny these outrageous claims and it's both sad and telling the New York Times would print the lies of their anonymous 'sources' anyway," Sanders said.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Sweater vests were outlawed years ago under the Hillary timeline.

Yet more proof our timeline is the worst one :smith:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

spite house posted:

It is the best and I adore it for many reasons, and trying to explain it to people who haven't spent a lot of time here is frustrating as hell. When I think of Los Angeles I think of this teeming, striving tide of all different kinds of humanity all working our asses off in the middle of what is probably, as far as climate and geography, the closest thing to literal heaven on earth. It feels like the world, and is beautiful and magical and scary and amazing, and when I tell people where I'm from and they start talking about Botox and Real Housewives I want to loving punch them.

:same:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

Increased demand tends to lower prices in general.

Go on...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Found this gem on imgur yesterday:

:rolleyes:

Look at how much this person hates the disabled :stare:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

?

He's clearly outside MAGAing it up with his proper white child in the Trump timeline...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OneEightHundred posted:

Increased demand tends to lower prices in general. If there's any distorting effect, it'll probably be in the form of higher prices for high-end GPUs and lower prices for downmarket GPUs because they're produced by binning and can't be adjusted individually.

uh...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Boon posted:

Go on...

Probably something along the lines of "in the medium to long term, increased demand means a) larger production batch and investment in improved production technology, and b) entry of additional competitors into the market, triggering price wars." That's assuming that the increased demand doesn't outstrip the physical limitations of cheap production of base materials and components.

E: Increased demand only means increased prices if the supply curve doesn't shift. That's why I've never much liked those dumb supply/demand curves.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 24, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

Probably something along the lines of "in the medium to long term, increased demand means a) larger production batch and investment in improved production technology, and b) entry of additional competitors into the market, triggering price wars." That's assuming that the increased demand doesn't outstrip the physical limitations of cheap production of base materials and components.

So... competition lowers prices.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

?

He's clearly outside MAGAing it up with his proper white child in the Trump timeline...

That sweater has sleeves :colbert:. I dunno, something tells me it might not be a very good comic

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

So... competition lowers prices.

I mean, not always, but often in the case of emerging markets? And an increase in demand can lead to an increase in the number of companies offering products and trying to break into a market. What do think I'm missing here?

E: It's medium/long term dynamics v. short-term steady state equilibria. Just think about what happened to computer prices v. typewriter prices since 1975.

E2: I'm not saying that's what would happen right now with graphics card prices, but it's definitely something that happens with major shifts in demand where there are not hard physical limitations for meeting that demand.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i'm the downward-sloping demand curve

• Locked thread