Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

I stand by my assumption that when the bubble actually bursts its not going to follow that graph at all. It'll be a total free fall over one day with no warning. That graph could be applied a few times to this thing and the speculation just keeps bringing it back up. Maybe a country will decide it's undermining it's own currency and declare it treasonous. That should do it.

litecoin charlie dumping most of his hodlings and warning about another flatline to 2015 levels is probably worth considering

unless he was pulling a double fakie FUD shill attack against the nonbelievers in which case this is a strong strong bbuy signal it's going to moon any day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I stand by my assumption that when the bubble actually bursts its not going to follow that graph at all. It'll be a total free fall over one day with no warning. That graph could be applied a few times to this thing and the speculation just keeps bringing it back up. Maybe a country will decide it's undermining it's own currency and declare it treasonous. That should do it.
That's sort of a classical anatomy sketch; the exact details will be different, of course. The only thing that will probably permanently kill it is either a frisbee on the roof situation (if the mining pools totally implode) or some kind of crack of the super-secret secret-squirrel cryptography poo poo involved.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I was guessing it would take lightning network coming out and demonstrating that their promises of 'that thing that's coming that's going to fix everything!' is completely unworkable crap to pop the bubble but who knows, it's already teetering on the the edge of blowing up now, so I'd now also say maybe 50% chance of dead cat bounce for a week or so then an even worse plunge.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
My Christmas prediction: conversations about crypto between family members over Xmas day lead to a newb influx causing a price surge, leading to established whales and hodlers cashing out, causing the price to plummet.

As said newbs lose their money, many tears are had, fights caused and family ties broken.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

that won't happen unless someone finds a way to break every wallet

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, Bitcoin isn't going to completely die unless something fundamentally breaks, but it is possible it goes dormant around 1-3k for a few years until it gets "re-discovered" again.

It goes look like a pretty classic bull-trap at the moment though. The first crash had a very similar one.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But will there be paintings and songs made to tell the tale of the slaying of this second whalebear?!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What’s the problem? If you can’t handle bitcoin’s raw power, don’t touch the Blockchain

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Bitcoin isn't going to completely die unless something fundamentally breaks, but it is possible it goes dormant around 1-3k for a few years until it gets "re-discovered" again.

It goes look like a pretty classic bull-trap at the moment though. The first crash had a very similar one.

Reminder: the commodities exchanges that have been dominated by short sales from institutional investors are closed for the holiday weekend. Once the commodities board hits the limit down for a few more days I suspect there is going to be a lot of panic selling among the small fish on the exchange sites.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

paternity suitor posted:

Unironically this.

No really, the whole monetary system is backed by implicit violence, but also, and this is the key, that’s why people follow the rules.

:patriot:

Straight White Shark posted:

Reminder: the commodities exchanges that have been dominated by short sales from institutional investors are closed for the holiday weekend. Once the commodities board hits the limit down for a few more days I suspect there is going to be a lot of panic selling among the small fish on the exchange sites.

2017 apologizes for all its poo poo with post-holiday lols

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everybody trying to sell at once would push fees up to a point where a large number of people wouldn't be able to sell at all :unsmigghh:

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

But will there be paintings and songs made to tell the tale of the slaying of this second whalebear?!

it has already begun

quote:

"The Miner Comes Around"
And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder: one of the four altcoins saying: "Come and see." And I saw. And behold, a white horse.

There's a miner goin' 'round takin' names.
And he decides which to process and which to abstain.
Everybody won't be treated all the same.
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the miner comes around.

The hairs on your arm will stand up
At the terror in each dip and in each up.
Will you partake of that last offered cup
Or disappear into nocoiner ground
When the miner comes around?

Hear the trumpettes, hear the hodlers.
One hundred million assholes singin'.
Multitudes are marching to the speculative bubble fun.
Voices callin', voices cryin'.
Some are losing and some are still buyin’
It's Alphacoin and Betacoins Kingdom come.

And the volatility is in the bot trades.
The nocoiners are all trimming their wicks.
The volatility is in the bot trades.
It's hard for thee to sell before the dips.

'Til Armageddon, no fiat, no reserve bank.
Then the miners will call his chickens home.
The wise men will bow down before the miners throne.
And at his feet they'll cast virtual golden crowns

Whoever is freeriding, let him be freeriding still.
Whoever is taking profit, let him be taking profit still.
Whoever is filthy nocoiner, let him be filthy nocoiner still.
Listen to the words long-written down,

Hear the trumpettes, hear the miners.
One hundred million giggawatts burnin’.
Multitudes are mining a big lovely ledger.
Voices callin', voices cryin'.
Some are waiting and some are payin’.
unconfirmed transactions in this Kingdom come.

And the bitcoin is looking like a thorn tree.
The nocoiners are all trimming their wicks.
The bitcoin is experiencing normal volatility.
It's hard for thee to buy into the dips.

In measured fiat dollar bills and virtual-penny pounds

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four subreddits, and I looked and behold: a pale autist. And his name, that sat on him, was HODL. And Hell followed with him.

Rock Puncher fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 24, 2017

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mods change my name to mental grasps. tia

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

beautiful

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

hahaha, this is awesome.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

im the demographic who comprehends bitcoins and i support this message pls like, follow, subscribe tell your friends bitcpins solve the byzimtime ventral problem and the future isBLOCKCHAIN

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

the new normal has been achieved, praise freedomcoin

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
hmm yes 10% per day interest rates are definitely a good thing

The bread that cost $2 on January first costs $38 by the end of the month, $62 million dollars by midyear and $1.2 quadrillion dollars by the end of December.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
yeah the fuckin bank should pay me 10% interest daily and also my car loan should have zero percent interest becaus I am a goddamn idiot with no ability to understand that the word interest is in both of those things so ofc blockchain

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
fuckin baby boomers don’t understand

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Also, he posted that four hours ago, and then bitcoin immediately fell back 10% in that time because :bitcoin:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

My pretend Internet money is super complicated, you guys could never understand it. Whoops, it just lost half its value.

gently caress all you people just starting to take interest and wrecking everything. It's the new global currency, stop putting downward pressure on it because it's fantasy nonsense held by nerds and Chinese industrialists who calculated numbers on video cards.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Those blockchains though.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i just want my butt coins to return to their original value so i can sell em and invest in apple

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

221,000 unconfirmed transactions with fees valued at a total of ~1400 btc

1400/221000 = .00633484 btc per transaction

~$90 USD per transaction

and you still have to wait

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hmm yes people who have the bold vision to be able to say they deserve to have money generated for them out of thin air definitely deserve to get that money for real, makes perfect sense

XK
Jul 9, 2001

It's currently $130 per transaction, when you include the fee with the block reward pay out.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

XK posted:

It's currently $130 per transaction, when you include the fee with the block reward pay out.

you have to bribe a bunch of robot accountants every time you want to use your currency of the future

brilliant

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

And like easily $20 of that is spent by the miners on electricity. Imagine an economy that uses $20 of electricity to buy a beer.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if the bitcoiners even realize that with every 10 minute block reward, money equivalent to 12.5 bitcoins is being extracted from the economy. That is how the Chinese farms are paying for their running costs and equipment investments. It's not like they're just sitting on it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

There was a halving in the block reward a few months back, the question was proposed about how the farms would keep running if the reward were cut in half. The obvious answer is that the price would be inflated to make up for the halving.

And then tether, and now here we are.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

"early millennials" :discourse:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

End of the dead cat bounce already?

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

squidgee posted:

seeing this made me sell my bitcoins

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

lazorexplosion posted:

End of the dead cat bounce already?

i fell into a burning pile of miners
price fell down and it won't go higher
and it burns burns burns
the fiat liars
the fiat liars

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

squidgee posted:

if you're over 25 just kill yourself grandpa - the blockchain will forever be incomprehensible to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

insulated staircase posted:

i fell into a burning pile of miners
price fell down and it won't go higher
and it burns burns burns
the fiat liars
the fiat liars

love it

Johnny Bcash is the next big thing IMO