Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it's fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don't think the dogpile on Strix is necessary

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/78xua9/mea_spoiler_the_quarian_ark_will_be_resolved_in/

TLDR Cat Valente loves Mass Effect and wishes franchise fiction was better quality.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think the dogpile on Strix is necessary

fun, though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:sigh:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

You never answered if you were the one who recommended cherryh to me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Alaan posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/78xua9/mea_spoiler_the_quarian_ark_will_be_resolved_in/

TLDR Cat Valente loves Mass Effect and wishes franchise fiction was better quality.

Am I supposed to know who this is

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well, her writing Mass Effect novels was the topic of discussion about 10 posts ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You never answered if you were the one who recommended cherryh to me

I was. That whole discussion got frustrating so I left the thread for a while.

Cherryh writes some of the finest sci-fi if not the best sci-fi I've ever read, and Cyteen is one of my all-time favorite novels for how it looks at human psychology, how future tech might impact society, realistic politics, and so on.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was. That whole discussion got frustrating so I left the thread for a while.

Cherryh writes some of the finest sci-fi if not the best sci-fi I've ever read, and Cyteen is one of my all-time favorite novels for how it looks at human psychology, how future tech might impact society, realistic politics, and so on.

She has some interesting scenes and ideas (I liked the weird drugged out woman on man rape scene) but holy christ does she need an editor

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

She has some interesting scenes and ideas (I liked the weird drugged out woman on man rape scene) but holy christ does she need an editor

What would you have had her cut?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

What would you have had her cut?

The explicit world-building, the overlong dialogs that serve only to establish the rules of the world, the intricate political details of a wholly imagined world, the lethargic pace of her descriptions.

I would not have cut scenes as much I would have her take Hemingway's shears to her prose in general.

I feel like there was very little in the first hundred pages that couldn't have been equally accomplished in 20 or so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The explicit world-building, the overlong dialogs that serve only to establish the rules of the world, the intricate political details of a wholly imagined world, the lethargic pace of her descriptions.

I would not have cut scenes as much I would have her take Hemingway's shears to her prose in general.

I feel like there was very little in the first hundred pages that couldn't have been equally accomplished in 20 or so.

I'm a sucker for world-building, fantasy politics, and her writing style, so I disagree - but thank you for the breakdown! I'm going to reread Cyteen again in the next year so I'll look at those pages again from a new perspective. :D

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

As I've stated before, I loathe world building as a concept and as a goal. I feel sometimes like sci fi authors spend all their energy on the setting and forget that their characters are not simply vehicles for the plot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I've stated before, I loathe world building as a concept and as a goal. I feel sometimes like sci fi authors spend all their energy on the setting and forget that their characters are not simply vehicles for the plot

This is a problem that's prevalent in genre fiction, but when you can find an author who uses the world building to create genuinely interesting plots and conflicts, it's worth it.

Jane Fancher's Groundties is another example of this being pulled off, in my opinion - but she writes like Cherryh so I don't know if you'd like it. Peter Watts' Starfish is in the same vein, but written very differently. Have you read his stuff?

Also, if the world building is fun - like in Shadowrun - I enjoy reading it just for escapism reasons. The characters become my vehicles to see the world, and if they're bad tour guides, oh well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge to help me out: I have a rather large ebook library, and I've been trying to finally get around to organizing it and importing it into calibre. I'm having trouble with regular expressions for importing the metadata from the filename, since I include the series name and index in the filename for books that are a part of a series. I have two main file name formats:

Last, First - Series Name ## - Book Title.typ
and
Last, First - Book Title.typ

does anyone know how or even if its possible to work a regular expression to ignore the lack of series name block? I have way too many books to go add a dummy series name and index, plus that'd look dumb if I had a bunch of files that went Bonerhitler, Weedlord - DUMMY 00 - Goku blahblah.420. I have a very basic knowledge of regex that I just learned a couple hours ago, and the best i can figure out right now is to somehow check for the index and use that to determine what the second grouping should be read in as, but obviously I have nowhere near the experience to figure out what that'd look like. Hopefully someone here does :ohdear:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Based on what you've shown I don't think you have to solve the problem with regex. Split the string on the "-" character. In the array that produces select the first item for the author name (presumably that's what that is?) and the last item in the array for the name of the book. You can test to see if there are three items in the array f you want to collect the name of the series as well.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge to help me out: I have a rather large ebook library, and I've been trying to finally get around to organizing it and importing it into calibre. I'm having trouble with regular expressions for importing the metadata from the filename, since I include the series name and index in the filename for books that are a part of a series. I have two main file name formats:

Last, First - Series Name ## - Book Title.typ
and
Last, First - Book Title.typ

does anyone know how or even if its possible to work a regular expression to ignore the lack of series name block? I have way too many books to go add a dummy series name and index, plus that'd look dumb if I had a bunch of files that went Bonerhitler, Weedlord - DUMMY 00 - Goku blahblah.420. I have a very basic knowledge of regex that I just learned a couple hours ago, and the best i can figure out right now is to somehow check for the index and use that to determine what the second grouping should be read in as, but obviously I have nowhere near the experience to figure out what that'd look like. Hopefully someone here does :ohdear:

(?P<author>[^_-]+) -?\s*(?P<series>[^_0-9-]*)(?P<series_index>[0-9]*)\s*-\s*(?P<title>[^_].+) ?

seems to work with both "Last, First - Series Name 01 - Book Title.mobi" and "Last, First - Book Title.mobi"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

pepperoni and keys posted:

(?P<author>[^_-]+) -?\s*(?P<series>[^_0-9-]*)(?P<series_index>[0-9]*)\s*-\s*(?P<title>[^_].+) ?

seems to work with both "Last, First - Series Name 01 - Book Title.mobi" and "Last, First - Book Title.mobi"

:love: you are amazing. I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole pseudo language but i just cant seem to grok it. Nowhere I can find has detailed examples and explanations for why stuff works! I get most everything in your solution, but I just can't quite figure out how it correctly identifies the author field when its not part of a series

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

:love: you are amazing. I'm trying to wrap my head around this whole pseudo language but i just cant seem to grok it. Nowhere I can find has detailed examples and explanations for why stuff works! I get most everything in your solution, but I just can't quite figure out how it correctly identifies the author field when its not part of a series

+ (1 or more) and * (0 or more) are greedy and will slurp up as much as they can. Since the first - is optional (?), if it's not there, the <author> group will slurp up what the <series> groups would have matched if the - was there.

I think.

Regexes can get pretty gross and are horrible to read but they're very nice to write and fantastic to use. Only use them for disposable one-time stuff imo.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, it's the last 24 hours for the 2017 Book Barn Secret Santa! Come and take a look if you're at all interested and email me if you want to sign up. If you want to join in but are busy today, drop me an email and I'll let you sneak in in the next couple of days.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Hello. I started a thread in BYOB about classical Chinese poetry in English translation (Li Po, Tu Fu et. al, translated by Pound/Williams/Snyder and more) because I didn't know where else to put it, but anyway, if you are interested in or know about classical Chinese poetry, perhaps you would like to give it a look? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842584

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I just tried reading Worm, by Wildbow, the internet serial novel about superheros. It's really popular and I hear good things, but I can't get into it because it's so depressing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Good evening TBB I have never posted here I mainly stay in my comic book filled hovel over in BSS. But I wasn't sure who to share this with as it is a new chapter in a Harry Potter novel! Also I'm procrastinating the gently caress out of my late night as I have a final in Network Security Auditing in the morning. Enjoy!

http://botnik.org/content/harry-potter.html

It was made by a predictive keyboard after being fed all seven of the Harry Potter novels. It starts off sort of coherent then dips in to a weird nightmare trip that's............well see for yourselves

Jiro fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 14, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"What about Ron Magic?" offered Ron. To Harry, Ron was a loud, slow, and soft bird. Harry did not like to think about birds.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jiro posted:

Good evening TBB I have never posted here I mainly stay in my comic book filled hovel over in BSS. But I wasn't sure who to share this with as it is a new chapter in a Harry Potter novel! Also I'm procrastinating the gently caress out of my late night as I have a final in Network Security Auditing in the morning. Enjoy!

It was made by a predictive keyboard after being fed all seven of the Harry Potter novels. It starts off sort of coherent then dips in to a weird nightmare trip that's............well see for yourselves

This is incredible. More entertaining than the normal books.

"Ron's Ron shirt was just as bad as Ron himself". That is a line that should have been in the Rowling books.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 15, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jiro posted:

You are all Hagrid now.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

BEEF WOMEN

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So after listening to the Mike Nelson podcast about rpo without reading the book I still don't understand what the theme of the book was

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So after listening to the Mike Nelson podcast about rpo without reading the book I still don't understand what the theme of the book was

I just finished listening to that same podcast

I think Mike Nelson explained the theme excellently at one point "hey manchild look how your pop culture obsession is actually cool and you haven't wasted your life and you will get everything you want without ever having to grow as a person"

It's a manchild fairy tale

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

My girlfriend love/hates trashy romance novels and sends me quotes from ones she's paged through at Walgreens, or wherever. Do any of y'all have suggestions for any extremely bad, trashy romance novels? I know it's a weird request, but I think it'd make a great Christmas gift/ruin our relationship

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Check your local library, though may be too late to catch one of their sales. They usually have stacks they need the purge.

My friend bought multiple boxes of romance novels for under $10 and proceeded to replace every book on another friends shelf with them. Vengeance for for being given the D20 Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Carl Killer Miller posted:

My girlfriend love/hates trashy romance novels and sends me quotes from ones she's paged through at Walgreens, or wherever. Do any of y'all have suggestions for any extremely bad, trashy romance novels? I know it's a weird request, but I think it'd make a great Christmas gift/ruin our relationship

I was going to recommend Tender Wings of Desire but I don't see it on Amazon any more.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

My friend, have you heard of the romance classic Pregnesia?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just finished listening to that same podcast

I think Mike Nelson explained the theme excellently at one point "hey manchild look how your pop culture obsession is actually cool and you haven't wasted your life and you will get everything you want without ever having to grow as a person"

It's a manchild fairy tale

Like as I understand the book presents the Willy Wonka man’s obsession with the 80’s to be cool and good, same with the nerd man’s obsession with it and with Willy Wonka, except at the end the prerecorded message is like “enjoy reality” but it goes contrary to everything the nerd did to get there at a meta level so I don’t understand what was that supposed to mean

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pretty much any shirtless man romance is guaranteed to be pretty bad. Titles with "Duke", "Rogue", "Rake", "Highlander". All bad. And theres SO MANY of them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Like as I understand the book presents the Willy Wonka man’s obsession with the 80’s to be cool and good, same with the nerd man’s obsession with it and with Willy Wonka, except at the end the prerecorded message is like “enjoy reality” but it goes contrary to everything the nerd did to get there at a meta level so I don’t understand what was that supposed to mean

You're thinking about it much more than the dumbass who wrote it did

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Reading James Clavell's Gaijin after Shogun and the plotting feels a lot worse.

It also feels like Clavell cannot get his hand off his dick as he writes, and it's a lot worse than in Shogun.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

IMO, Cherryh has two modes of writing; the slow, often politics-heavy building up of the characters and setting, and the fast oh-poo poo-everything-is-on-fire. Pretty much all of her books end up in the latter eventually, but most of them start in the former, including all of her longest stuff (Cyteen, Downbelow Station, Fortress in the Eye of Time, Foreigner, etc).

I love both styles, but I wonder if you might not prefer one of the books that starts off with everything on fire like The Pride of the Chanur. Or Voyager in Night if you enjoy the feeling of your brain being rolled up and slowly pulled out through your eyes.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
What are some books that are literally too dangerous to handle? I'm thinking of things along the lines of the U of Michigan's Shadows from the Walls of Death, which consists of 86 pages of arsenic-soaked wallpaper samples, or Marie Curie's still-radioactive journals.

e: Shadows is sealed, each individual page is encapsulated, and you can only handle it while wearing gloves. Curie's journals are kept in a lead box, you must wear protective clothing when handling them, and the library makes you sign a liability waiver before they'll let you in.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 25, 2017