Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Posting from the vaults because it's relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmHhGdFL0cQ

Ancient Chinese literature = best literature. I ought to revive this series and do Three Kingdoms one day.

EDIT: You prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Testekill posted:

The main thing I learned about Chinese literature from Suikoden is that they really hated bureaucrats. Kraze is the only antagonist you get offered the chance to spare but lose absolutely nothing from killing the slimy worm.

It's so weird that nobody really portrays Nobunaga as just the ruthless pragmatist that he was.

Man burned down entire provinces that opposed him. That leaves an impression.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Testekill posted:

It's so weird that nobody really portrays Nobunaga as just the ruthless pragmatist that he was.

The first Samurai Warriors game actually does portray Nobunaga this way, but only when you play as him. From the other character's POVs he's a monster with a purple lightsaber but during his personal missions he discusses why he must appear as a monster while fighting to end the sengoku period.

Also Total War Shogun presents him as neutral like all the other leaders.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHs9zTMCKM

Wrestling with Wregret finally did December to Dismember 2016. This is one of the infamously garbage PPVs that nobody liked.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Renegade Cut previews his upcoming view on eschatology and End Times theology re: the Left Behind series of films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYyDW-Wwj8

I'm excited.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Testekill posted:

The main thing I learned about Chinese literature from Suikoden is that they really hated bureaucrats. Kraze is the only antagonist you get offered the chance to spare but lose absolutely nothing from killing the slimy worm.

yea it's kinda funny how the guy who actually was famously a such extreme pragmatist he thought war crimes and cruelty were a-ok because drat it this war needs a monster is the guy who most gets pigeon holed into stark black and white terms. Like, there are writings of the man himself saying poo poo like 'yea I burned a temple and slaughtered every Buddhist monk inside while shouting "WE MUST KILL OUR GODS AND TRUST ONLY OUR FELLOW MAN TO DELIVER JUSTICE" but I did so to work to destroy the insane supernatural mythos we've applied to everything to harden my people into a fighting force that will defend themselves rather than hope a divine plan is there'. He was super open about his pragmatic and harsh view of the world!

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Testekill posted:

This sort of treatment happens to any leader that managed to get themselves into Myth and Legend. Any negative part of their life story just slowly disappears from the public consciousness and you're just left with a list of their accomplishments. Over in the west it happened to Caesar, Richard the Lionheart, and every [first name] the Great.

It's in the process of happening right now with the leaders of World War 2. Churchill in particular is absolutely buried in wisdom and clever quips he never made to the point that the popular memory of him is almost entirely fictional, and on the other side of the war you have wehraboos extolling the also-fictional saintly virtues of Rommel.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

New Butt Order posted:

This sort of treatment happens to any leader that managed to get themselves into Myth and Legend. Any negative part of their life story just slowly disappears from the public consciousness and you're just left with a list of their accomplishments. Over in the west it happened to Caesar, Richard the Lionheart, and every [first name] the Great.

It's in the process of happening right now with the leaders of World War 2. Churchill in particular is absolutely buried in wisdom and clever quips he never made to the point that the popular memory of him is almost entirely fictional, and on the other side of the war you have wehraboos extolling the also-fictional saintly virtues of Rommel.

Ooooooh the Rommel myth is such an interesting subject

To be fair, mostly our fault. Rommel was after all lionised almost immediately after the War ended by the British - an honourable general and all that, not a member of the Party who fought fair on the battlefield and was a brilliant military mind, and even made an effort to kill that blighter Hitler which he paid for with his life (recent re-evaluations suggest he had no active role of course, although he wasn't exactly against it either). Only a few years after the trials at Nuremberg did The Desert Fox and Desert Rats come out. His immediate hagiography was probably inspired by starting up German reconciliation and needing an acceptable face of German honour and values to judge them by (probably helps if said face can't screw that up because they're dead).

If Loose Canon was still a thing or something similar...gah, Rommel would have been a good one, from the early hagiographies to his small but important role in Patton, and the more complex modern depictions...and you know what the punchline is? Who's the historian who's credited (at least on Wiki) with starting off this re-evaluation of Rommel and thoughts that he wasn't the saint that people made him out to be?...David bloody Irving. The one who denies the Holocaust. History sure plays cheap jokes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mischalaniouse posted:

Renegade Cut previews his upcoming view on eschatology and End Times theology re: the Left Behind series of films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYyDW-Wwj8

I'm excited.

I'd never checked this guy out and wow, this channel looks interesting! Thanks!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Testekill posted:

The closest I'd seen was Saga Frontier 2, which isn't a great game but has a very Nobunaga-type protagonist who bucks tradition and carves out an entire empire for himself after being shunned and shittalked by everyone else in nobility. His half of the game is actually one of the more interesting arcs I'd ever seen in a JRPG, which isn't to say it's high art but I at least was real curious to see how it ended.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What I love about learning about Chinese history was that Liu Bei, who was portrayed as this noble man in the Dynasty Warriors games, is actually a tremendous dickhead and a coward.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Ooooooh the Rommel myth is such an interesting subject

To be fair, mostly our fault. Rommel was after all lionised almost immediately after the War ended by the British - an honourable general and all that, not a member of the Party who fought fair on the battlefield and was a brilliant military mind, and even made an effort to kill that blighter Hitler which he paid for with his life (recent re-evaluations suggest he had no active role of course, although he wasn't exactly against it either). Only a few years after the trials at Nuremberg did The Desert Fox and Desert Rats come out. His immediate hagiography was probably inspired by starting up German reconciliation and needing an acceptable face of German honour and values to judge them by (probably helps if said face can't screw that up because they're dead).

If Loose Canon was still a thing or something similar...gah, Rommel would have been a good one, from the early hagiographies to his small but important role in Patton, and the more complex modern depictions...and you know what the punchline is? Who's the historian who's credited (at least on Wiki) with starting off this re-evaluation of Rommel and thoughts that he wasn't the saint that people made him out to be?...David bloody Irving. The one who denies the Holocaust. History sure plays cheap jokes.

Now that would make for some exciting youtube comments, and by that I mean it would open a portal direct to hell that would never close, although I guess Lindsay took the necessary first step in ditching her twitter. I’m amazed that Mel Brooks video didn’t cause more nazi shrieks, but it probably had too many big words and was too many Sargons long for most of them to find anything to latch onto.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

Now that would make for some exciting youtube comments, and by that I mean it would open a portal direct to hell that would never close, although I guess Lindsay took the necessary first step in ditching her twitter. I’m amazed that Mel Brooks video didn’t cause more nazi shrieks, but it probably had too many big words and was too many Sargons long for most of them to find anything to latch onto.

Oh, no! :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

What I love about learning about Chinese history was that Liu Bei, who was portrayed as this noble man in the Dynasty Warriors games, is actually a tremendous dickhead and a coward.

"Hey who should our noble and cunning protagonist be?"

"This huge coward who got Yuan Shao's forces decimated and literally pulled the 'I'm gonna go get help! *runs away and doesn't come back*' joke to him after?"

"Yea, nailed it."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Learning that Zhang Fei was such an evil dude, even considering the time, that his own guys jumped and murdered his rear end was a treat.

Or that Guan Yu was a really rude, vain dick.

The laundry list of crazy things from Sun Quan.

All that good stuff is real cool to learn about.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Hey, do you remember how we were talking about that guy on Twitter who was calling everything fascist?
https://twitter.com/PhilGreaves01/status/942709261347500032

Well...

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/22/health/thomas-tank-engine-paw-patrol-fascist-cartoon-strauss/index.html

EDIT: Looks like Cr1tikal made a video making fun of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGnIVAa2Oc

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 23, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Everyone knows Wu is best, anyway. Come at me.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

cat doter posted:

something that irks me about edutainment is it was always really cloying and obvious in a way that turned me off, but like the fundamental idea of playing a video game where you learn stuff was never something I'd say no to, and in fact I'd say my love of games growing up taught me a ton of stuff

like I was playing through torment while I was a teenager and I found it was expanding my vocabulary quite a bit and I know I could've just been reading books to do that (it's not like I wasn't reading either) but it was something that engaged me, that I went out of my way to do, and was in part because I was learning so much on top of it being an interesting video game

I've always felt you could do a video game that's explicitly educational but in a way that is more fully integrated into the game itself, where you learn things just as an outcome of the setting or the mechanics, where the game didn't go OK NOW HERE'S THE MATHS PART WHAT IS 62+24

Number Munchers is the tits, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

Hey, do you remember how we were talking about that guy on Twitter who was calling everything fascist?
https://twitter.com/PhilGreaves01/status/942709261347500032

Well...

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/22/health/thomas-tank-engine-paw-patrol-fascist-cartoon-strauss/index.html

EDIT: Looks like Cr1tikal made a video making fun of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGnIVAa2Oc

That guy sounds like a slightly older version of Scarce whining about "American Culture", why am I watching his video again?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

David Ayer did direct Fury, which was awesome, but his other movies are crap.

He also wrote the screenplay for Training Day so I'm somewhat surprised they made a movie about two cops teaming up and didn't get him to write it as well as direct.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

New Butt Order posted:

See also the top 3-5 most famous generals of the Confederacy, particularly Robert E Lee. Truly the Rommel of the Civil War.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The education part of Fate is bad in a way only surpassed by products like Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor and The From Hell movie.

I said made me want to learn more about history, not that I actually learned history from them. Turns out Ghandi was also not a Nuke-loving warmonger. (Although I will argue that Fate makes its substantial changes from real history and mythology by choice rather than out of laziness and ignorance like the stuff you mentioned. There's a lot of details from historical and literary sources that make it obvious the author did his homework)

Max Wilco posted:

Similar to what you said about Civilization and Fate/Stay Night (which I still don't know anything about except that it's about knights or Romans or something),

Wizards summons heroes from history to fight each other. Lots of debates about philosophy happen as a result. Also rad poo poo like possessed F-15s dogfighting with Ancient Aliens Spaceships.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 23, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sanguinia posted:

Wizards summons heroes from history to fight each other. Lots of debates about philosophy happen as a result. Also rad poo poo like possessed F-15s dogfighting with Ancient Aliens Spaceships.

That sounds amazing! Where can I get it?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

That sounds amazing! Where can I get it?

Both Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (based on a route of the original visual novel) and the prequel Fate/Zero are on Netflix. As I understand /Zero was the first release in the series to be like... good? I have heard mostly good things about the UBW series.

Both of the above are done by Type Moon who are really good animators so it will at least look pretty good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Both Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (based on a route of the original visual novel) and the prequel Fate/Zero are on Netflix. As I understand /Zero was the first release in the series to be like... good? I have heard mostly good things about the UBW series.

Both of the above are done by Type Moon who are really good animators so it will at least look pretty good.

The UBW anime starts out promising, but soon turns into hours of empty philosophibabble against a background of exploding swords. Just go for Fate/Zero, and power through the kind of tedious opening exposition-dump.

Type Moon is the game company behind the visual novels. UFOtable is the anime studio they’re re most heavily associated with (though not exclusively), and has a reputation for a particular style of flashy, aftereffects-heavy animation.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 23, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sanguinia posted:

See also the top 3-5 most famous generals of the Confederacy, particularly Robert E Lee. Truly the Rommel of the Civil War.

the difference of course being that rommel was at least actually a brilliant general while lee was, well, not. the confederacy has also had rose colored glasses applied to a lot of things other than just their generals; they were getting their asses kicked from the very beginning. they did do 'better' at the start than they did later on, but they were still losing a lot more than they were winning from the get go. if you ever hear anyone give them any sort of credit militarily, to lee or to anyone else, you know that person is never to be listened to because they don't actually know jack poo poo about how the civil war really went down.

it makes all their pathetic loser trophies that much more mockable. all those statues praising lee and he wasn't even any good to begin with.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

financially racist posted:

the difference of course being that rommel was at least actually a brilliant general while lee was, well, not. the confederacy has also had rose colored glasses applied to a lot of things other than just their generals; they were getting their asses kicked from the very beginning. they did do 'better' at the start than they did later on, but they were still losing a lot more than they were winning from the get go. if you ever hear anyone give them any sort of credit militarily, to lee or to anyone else, you know that person is never to be listened to because they don't actually know jack poo poo about how the civil war really went down.

it makes all their pathetic loser trophies that much more mockable. all those statues praising lee and he wasn't even any good to begin with.

It's kinda funny that the Confederacy lasted so long because the Union was pretty incompetent and fractured from the word go.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It really speaks to how profoundly stupid every single level of Confederacy leadership was that they got their asses beat by a Union that was always just one bad stretch away from complete implosion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
was it Lincoln himself or one of his generals who wrote that it's hard to take pleasure in how poo poo the Confederates are when they don't even have to beat America by force, but just have to have the patience and basic strategy to let the union eat itself?

Whoo-eee thank god there was literally no one in Davis' cabinet who had that patience or intelligence!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sexpig by night posted:

It really speaks to how profoundly stupid every single level of Confederacy leadership was that they got their asses beat by a Union that was always just one bad stretch away from complete implosion.

Keep in mind that you're talking about the same people who could have probably just had their CSA to this day if they hadn't decided that having the US not bother with them wasn't enough, no, they had to deliberately attack their fort off the coast. They repeatedly owned themselves every step of the way.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Since I strongly contributed to this derail, I'll post something on-topic:

Angry Joe: Top 10 Things I Got WRONG about The Last Jedi - 2nd Angry Review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg7-H6xYmZY

Joe's response to this movie has been downright schizophrenic. I know his schtick has basically forever been to harp on the really good parts and blow his hatred for the bad parts out of proportion on everything, but four videos on the same film where each one has basically been built around the opposite base opinion as the one before it is some kind of record.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sounds like he's got a bad case of fandom there!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He's trying to appeal to his own divided fanbase, I imagine. Seems like an impossible road to walk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe we could just not do immediate film reactions and instead take some time to ruminate on our thoughts before throwing up a video screaming clickbait and getting views?
Wait I just answered my question.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t relish in people’s misery when it comes to big hyped movies.

Except for Angry Joe and all the hyperbolic fanboys like him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Keep in mind that you're talking about the same people who could have probably just had their CSA to this day if they hadn't decided that having the US not bother with them wasn't enough, no, they had to deliberately attack their fort off the coast. They repeatedly owned themselves every step of the way.

it really can't be said enough that for all the CSA revisionism about ~the war of northern aggression~ literally everyone but the most rabid parts of the government, including Lincoln and his generals, were a-ok letting the morons just have their terrible unindustrial country where they proudly had no ambitions to be anything but a minor rival in the textile trade to the union on the global stage. The literal entire course of the war was because the CSA couldn't not be aggressive idiots for ten minutes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She must have, I was following her and now I do not see her listed under my followed accounts

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

She must have, I was following her and now I do not see her listed under my followed accounts

I did confirm it. I'm not denying the fact that it happened, I'm just expressing my dismay at that fact.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The more people who leave, the closer it gets to burning down and vanishing. Isn’t it so much nicer here, in the world of nice, safe, warm web 1.0?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is probably the funniest/saddest (and creepy) thing I've seen:

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/944539340608335872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

The more people who leave, the closer it gets to burning down and vanishing. Isn’t it so much nicer here, in the world of nice, safe, warm web 1.0?

There's something nice about the fake sense of peerage with people way more famous and awesome than yourself. But I guess trolls are progressively killing that. :smith:

Jimbot posted:

This is probably the funniest/saddest (and creepy) thing I've seen:

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/944539340608335872

:distonk:

• Locked thread