Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Start the world's most passive-aggressive civil war?

Wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing was tried. An early revolution in Freetown, Sierra Leone went along those lines, with parallel laws, government, and governor.

Spoilers: The British crushed it brutally anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Inescapable Duck posted:

Exactly.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dual Power here we go :getin:
Wow, didn't know it by that name. Dual Power (Russian Revolution). Cool example, certainly a better example than dual power in Austria-Hungary.

That's sort of the anarchist signature move, isn't it? Like, the impression I get from the one local lefty mixer I went to was that seemed to be the plan. Like, build up local independent institutions.
I dunno, is there a concept to look up for that? Separatism? Like the Panthers?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

merry Christmas everyone

https://twitter.com/NYTNational/status/944185812702453760

:smithicide:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, going all out on the Christmas thing by pulling a Herod. At least one of those babies has to be named Jesus.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oh look, the brain child of former gitmo taskmaster John Kelly.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rockopolis posted:

I dunno, is there a concept to look up for that? Separatism? Like the Panthers?

Hezbollah?

If shits so bad alternate institutions start popping up shits hosed hard for all of us.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

yeah thats not funny

tell us more about your distrust of robot police, Detroit. :colbert:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/944601602551353344

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/944598510242091008

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 23, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

pro-click.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Since the alternative is to accept legislative hostage-taking in perpetuity, I'm willing to try anything.

"We -wanted- to make a stand, you see, but that would imperil the grant for the Birdwatching Assitance Fund! We're not here to burn the house down!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Dems were forced to choose between CHIP or DACA. CHIP needed to be dealt with immediately, DACA still has time to work with.

That's a very disingenuous way of looking at it.

Remember when the Dems promised to shutdown the government if they didn't get a DACA fix?

Sure, if they get a DACA fix in a month, this will all be forgotten. But that's a bigger political challenge that the GOP are less likely to offer concessions on, the Democrats have a long reputation of spinelessness and folding when things get tough, and absolutely no one has any faith that the likes of Manchin or Nelson will be any more likely to stand up for DREAMers next month.

Look, we can talk about the blame for government shutdowns and CHIP all we want. But after the big game Nancy and Chuck talked about DACA earlier, they are not going to be able to get away with blaming it on Republicans now if they don't get a fix in. They could have done that before, but now they've taken ownership of the issue and Dems are now on the hook to back up their talk with action - something that they don't have a particularly great track record on!

Kilroy posted:

It's not clear that a government shutdown will energize the Democratic base, though.

Seeing the Dems stand up and fight for something will absolutely energize the base. Meanwhile, if the Republicans stop people's Social Security checks and Medicare payments from going out in order to avoid having to fund children's healthcare, the Republican base are going to be furious. It's easy to say that Republicans don't care about government services, but a lot of their voters use and depend on those. If the government skips a round of disability checks or shuts down the VA hospitals, there's gonna be a lot of angry old white people with guns marching outside Republican offices in places like Tennessee and Mississippi.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kilroy posted:

It's not clear that a government shutdown will energize the Democratic base, though.

I think its clear that another exceptionally public display of cowardice, inaction and submission will de energize it though.

If rhe Republicans wanted to shut down the government, the Dems wouldnt even have gotten CHIP - its obvious they dont want to shut it down, not while they are in charge, not with the midterms on the horizon.

The dems beed to fight and do that and then run with the narrative of how the republicans were willing to gently caress everyone if it meant they got to gently caress over poor kids.

Most non tuned in people are going to blame the Republicans for any shutdown and the Republicans know it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Oh there government done shut down that's GEWD!!!"

1 Attachment: crying_eagle_troop_silhouette_sunset.jpeg

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The only thing you can do to stop R votes involved things you can't say on this forum

Or outing a Republican candidate's pedophilia. Two things will keep a Republican from voting, and one of them only sorta.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm hinging my opinion of this whole business on what happens in January.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Potato Salad posted:

The only thing you can do to stop R votes involved things you can't say on this forum

Or outing a Republican candidate's pedophilia. Two things will keep a Republican from voting, and one of them only sorta.

or general discouragement

I know a few people who won't turn out for establishment rinos for example, which is to say, they're awful, morons, or both

but still

which is part of why I was hoping for the tax bill to drag on longer

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Heavily implying that you'd like to go murder people who vote for your political opponents is cool and good and not at all psychotic.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Main Paineframe posted:

Seeing the Dems stand up and fight for something will absolutely energize the base. Meanwhile, if the Republicans stop people's Social Security checks and Medicare payments from going out in order to avoid having to fund children's healthcare, the Republican base are going to be furious. It's easy to say that Republicans don't care about government services, but a lot of their voters use and depend on those. If the government skips a round of disability checks or shuts down the VA hospitals, there's gonna be a lot of angry old white people with guns marching outside Republican offices in places like Tennessee and Mississippi.

During the last government shutdown my VA compensation was still deposited into my checking account. And the healthcare side of the VA is considered to be "essential services" and is not affected by a shutdown. The VBA and VCA are shutdown but the VHA stays open and I don't know if anyone who has an opinion besides "gently caress them" for the people at the VBA.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Heavily implying that you'd like to go murder people who vote for your political opponents is cool and good and not at all psychotic.

If those people vote for taking away children's health care they're actually murdering kids hth

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Self defense isn't really all that psychotic though?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

*child dies from absent CHIP funding*

*Trumpster rubs it in your loving face*

“Hey you better not get all crazy about this.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm sure the court will be very receptive to that argument after you kill granny.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

well lets not abandon our decorum

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm sure the court will be very receptive to that argument after you kill granny.

No one gives a gently caress if the old white judge in charge of the court approves lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Very cool that you're privileged enough to view politics as some polite gentlemanly game instead of the knife fight it is.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

well lets not abandon our decorum

"b-but bad dems with their decorum might shut down the government that i will loudly tell you is run by fascists (who i will totally do anything to stop, just trust me on that as long as it doesn't mean the fascists get defunded)"

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Still think McCain has a chance to redeem his maverick cred by just chainsawing McConnell in half live on CSpan. Can blame it on the tumor.
Good for the ratings, too, if he can throw in a good one-liner about doing it to cut the deficit.

Edit
Or Franken, get a little extra use out of him on the way out. He's a comedian, I think he'd find it to be funny.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 23, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

karthun posted:

During the last government shutdown my VA compensation was still deposited into my checking account. And the healthcare side of the VA is considered to be "essential services" and is not affected by a shutdown. The VBA and VCA are shutdown but the VHA stays open and I don't know if anyone who has an opinion besides "gently caress them" for the people at the VBA.

The VA is funded a little farther in advance than most other government services, so it can usually handle a short shutdown. If the last shutdown had lasted another couple of weeks, the VA would have been in trouble.

Rockopolis posted:

Still think McCain has a chance to redeem his maverick cred by just chainsawing McConnell in half live on CSpan. Can blame it on the tumor.
Good for the ratings, too, if he can throw in a good one-liner about doing it to cut the deficit.

Edit
Or Franken, get a little extra use out of him on the way out. He's a comedian, I think he'd find it to be funny.

Maverick McCain was never anything more than an act he put on to distance himself from the horrifically unpopular GOP presidency while he was setting up his presidential run. Now that his White House ambitions are dead, so is the "Maverick" act.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Maverick McCain was never anything more than an act he put on to distance himself from the horrifically unpopular GOP presidency while he was setting up his presidential run. Now that his White House ambitions are dead, so is the "Maverick" act.
Yeah, I know, but Zombie McCain feasting on brains in the Senate would be pretty awesome.

How about Puerto Rico going for a redo by sending a couple guys with tommyguns and presumably wearing zoot suits?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

If guns don't kill people, people do; then cars don't plow into people, nazis do.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:trumppop: :gop:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Heavily implying that you'd like to go murder people who vote for your death is cool and good and not at all psychotic.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
For those still interested, The Root did a video interview with Cornel West regarding his "fued" with Coates. The angle that was brought up in this thread of Coates' mischaracterization of Malcom X's legacy is indeed gone over.

Also, since black women and the Democratic Party have been discussed, it looks like there may be some concern that black women voters may actually be leaving the Democratic party, which makes the moves by Doug Jones recently even more stupid looking in the face of this possibility.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 24, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

For those still interested, The Root did a video interview with Cornel West regarding his "fued" with Coates. The angle that was brought up in this thread of Coates' mischaracterization of Malcom X's legacy is indeed gone over.

Also, since black women and the Democratic Party have been discussed, it looks like there may be some concern that black women voters may actually be leaving the Democratic party, which makes the moves by Doug Jones recently even more stupid looking in the face of this possibility.

Regarding changing opinions among black women, I wonder how much of that is an age demographic thing (due to people of later generations making up a larger portion of the electorate), where younger black women - just like younger people of other races/demographics - are generally less willing to tolerate the political status quo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is there a source for that that isn't a right wing rag?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Kokoro Wish posted:

Newsmax? Really?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's a thread where we're all pretty much fine with this idea and it's name is Trump.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Koalas March posted:

This is a thing I tell a lot of people: If that's not you, then it's not about you.

"Of course I wasn't talking about you! You're one of the Good Ones!"

You of all people should see just how bullshit of a statement that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I remember there were articles concerned about low enthusiasm among AA voters in the runup to both Virginia and Alabama.

• Locked thread