Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah, but I guess the question is then, why?

If its for the backstage stuff, its gonna be toned down to spare Wiseau's feelings

if its to see stuff from The Room, I would just watch The Room

EDIT: Whelp Max Landis is up next in the great sexual harassment pogrom of 2017.

I saw it in a double feature. The Room first and then The Disaster Artist. The crowd was way more into The Room. I felt like The Disaster Artist missed some of the obvious comedic undertones of the book and instead inserted unnecessary exposition. The sexual implication between Tommy and Greg was especially strange since that never came up at any point in the book or during interviews. An enjoyable movie, but I feel like it could have been more than just an homage to The Room. James Franco did a fantastic job as Tommy, one of his better performances. Dave Franco on the other hand should not be involved in acting in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I feel a tremendous sadness deep in my bones and spirit

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Good to know, would hate for my superhero show to be unrealistic

You joke, but the scene where you're supposed to assume like 20 hours have passed, his hands are bloody from his emo rage sledgehammer trance is pretty impossible. I don't think even John Henry could swing a 15lb sledge for that long

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Bright is so so dumb but entertaining as hell somehow

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

You joke, but the scene where you're supposed to assume like 20 hours have passed, his hands are bloody from his emo rage sledgehammer trance is pretty impossible. I don't think even John Henry could swing a 15lb sledge for that long

Oh yeah I was thinking about that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Bright is so so dumb but entertaining as hell somehow

I love any movie that has a Mexican standoff between corrupt cops over a magic wand that is called without any sense of irony "a magic wand"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

He may have stopped every 1 hour to eat a few Gatorade energy chews

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Risk is the worst loving board game ever

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm a Monopoly hater personally.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Risk but instead of rolling dice you play a game of Stratego for each battle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

ah so you are also versed in Risktego

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I got a really nice Risk set for Christmas a decade or so ago and I don't think I ever played it :shrug: Maybe next time I drive to my parents' place I will bring it back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I feel like I would have loved Chessboxing when I was a kid if A: it had existed back then and B: my parents were dumb enough to let me box.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Computer version is the only way to play, it goes so much faster

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Risk is only fun if your the person who Yolo marches from America to America through Europe and resets the game.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Blitz7x posted:

It’s been 8 hours, I’m sweaty and hungry and cornered in Australia. My dad is screaming at my younger brother and I don’t think my gf want to sleep in the same bed as me tonight

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I love any movie that has a Mexican standoff between corrupt cops over a magic wand that is called without any sense of irony "a magic wand"

I’m with you too

I really found it a fun high movie. It’s Netflix. Its supposed to be a LITTLE campy but overall enjoyable

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

At least Monopoly was intended to make you angry at capitalism

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I used to play RISK online. Actually at a website where some guy re-created the old BBS wargame Global Wars on a webpage, and Global Wars was itself a fairly faithful recreation of RISK.

RISK can be a decent game, if you modify it. There's a ton of possible modifications, and I can give you some if you like, but the most critically important one is that if you do random-positions for start (where you shuffle the deck of cards with territories on them and then deal them out to the players to determine their starting territories), you need to mulligan/re-do if anyone starts with 2+ territories in australia or south america. Which means a lot of mulligans, it's way easier to do this programmatically with a computer game.

RISK is not a good family game in any case. Too competitive and rewarding of ruthless behavior. If you do play it with your family I suggest outlawing any form of diplomacy, because nothing engenders hard feelings more than having your probably-winning position undercut by your family members allying against you. Well, except for when one of them stabs the other as soon as you're no longer the #1 threat.

It's also probably just not worth the effort, considering that we are living in a rennaisance of board gaming where there are hundreds and hundreds of amazingly good games available in every possible genre. The only real reason to play RISK instead of something much much better is nostalgia, and that's not a great reason to play a board game.

Grittybeard posted:

Monopoly is an incredibly bad game. Like so so so bad. It's the only game I have vowed to never ever play again under any circumstances. It's just soooo bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wanna play Monopoly with no house rules, I don't think I've ever done that and supposedly it's better and shorter.

We used to play Risk 2045 or something it was better, you could conquer the moon, there were aqua colonies that meant Australia and S America weren't as isolated, and most importantly, the game ended after 5 turns.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

I used to play RISK online. Actually at a website where some guy re-created the old BBS wargame Global Wars on a webpage, and Global Wars was itself a fairly faithful recreation of RISK.

RISK can be a decent game, if you modify it. There's a ton of possible modifications, and I can give you some if you like, but the most critically important one is that if you do random-positions for start (where you shuffle the deck of cards with territories on them and then deal them out to the players to determine their starting territories), you need to mulligan/re-do if anyone starts with 2+ territories in australia or south america. Which means a lot of mulligans, it's way easier to do this programmatically with a computer game.

RISK is not a good family game in any case. Too competitive and rewarding of ruthless behavior. If you do play it with your family I suggest outlawing any form of diplomacy, because nothing engenders hard feelings more than having your probably-winning position undercut by your family members allying against you. Well, except for when one of them stabs the other as soon as you're no longer the #1 threat.

It's also probably just not worth the effort, considering that we are living in a rennaisance of board gaming where there are hundreds and hundreds of amazingly good games available in every possible genre. The only real reason to play RISK instead of something much much better is nostalgia, and that's not a great reason to play a board game.

Monopoly is an incredibly bad game. Like so so so bad. It's the only game I have vowed to never ever play again under any circumstances. It's just soooo bad.

This is the worst shaggy dog joke I have ever read.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Christmas with the extended in laws is done.

I ate so much pecan pie.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SHOAH NUFF posted:

That would be Life or Clue.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

What, Life is easy and goes fast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Silly Burrito posted:

Clue is great.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

traditional family boardgames are mostly trash

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Neil Armbong posted:

Whew. Gotta pour another drink after reading this

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
All this board game talk reminds me that my ex got me the bsg board game nine goddamn years ago and I still haven't played it even though I want to. I can't find enough people who do :(

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Computer version is the only way to play, it goes so much faster

The old PC game with the extra massive maps and forts and whatnot was fun. I wasted so much time basically refighting the Napoleonic Wars on the Europe map...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Parcheesi domination

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

All this board game talk reminds me that my ex got me the bsg board game nine goddamn years ago and I still haven't played it even though I want to. I can't find enough people who do :(

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495776

Alternatively, look for a board gaming group in your area on Facebook. Some of them are at game stores and such.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37111/battlestar-galactica-board-game
7.8 is a pretty good score, you'd likely find a lot of people interested in playing.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I’ve been playing it with 4 family members today and the intensity of the fights is pretty bad, it felt like we were fighting about real life stuff not a board game. I was so angry at some points, like the kind of anger that feels unhealthy and scary

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jesus, if anyone is genuinely angry during family board game time, it's time to step back and say "hey guys I'm feeling pretty angry, could we stop playing this and do something that doesn't make people angry?" Because being legit mad at family members or friends or even just strangers during game time is not the right way to play games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I had a buddy who used to try to cheat at trivial pursuit.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just play Camel Cup, the game about gambling on camel races

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Neil Armbong posted:

The only good thing about Life is spinning the wheel. Otherwise you end up with a van full of kids, an expensive education, and a shack. Then you die retire.

Whee.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I made chocolate mint chip cookies for my family's Christmas Eve party tomorrow. They's good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

The only good thing about Life is spinning the wheel. Otherwise you end up with a van full of kids, an expensive education, and a shack. Then you die retire.

Whee.

It's a fantasy world that's supposed to make you feel good. See, you get to retire.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Alternatively, the very best party game ever is Telestrations, especially if your group can't draw. It is a mixture of Telephone and Pictionary and never fails to crack us up.

The Jackbox games are good too, especially Drawful 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

backgammon

• Locked thread