Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bust Rodd posted:

So is Moira a better designed hero than Doomfist/Sombra or does Blizzard just have a better process for introducing a new person into the game?

I feel like Sombra and Doomfist had super rough launches compared to Ana's super busted intro (Nano-Errythang.frvr) and Orisa's mild "She sucks-wait no im wrong, she's good" intro. Like I feel like people were immediately playing her effectively whearas with the other characters people needed weeks to get settled on what their plan was supposed to be.

I don't know if it's a matter of design, but things have gone smoother with her. They needed to revise her a couple of times but it's been small stuff like her attacks interacting with buildables and shields. Nothing that's massively altered her value in the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Did blizzard gently caress up the POTG algorithms with a recent patch? I’m seeing a lot of plays that are.... mediocre to bad while other people have quad kills and poo poo logged during the game

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
I'm firmly convinced that sarcastic POTGs are a thing and the AI has a sense of humor.

In all seriousness I'm sure the POTG algorithm probably has more to it than "X number of eliminations within X amount of time."

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Constantine XI posted:

I'm firmly convinced that sarcastic POTGs are a thing and the AI has a sense of humor.

In all seriousness I'm sure the POTG algorithm probably has more to it than "X number of eliminations within X amount of time."
I think it's based on fire points, or something very similar.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Sockser posted:

Did blizzard gently caress up the POTG algorithms with a recent patch? I’m seeing a lot of plays that are.... mediocre to bad while other people have quad kills and poo poo logged during the game

The other day in deathmatch I saw a POTG where a McCree got 0 final blows. :psyduck: 3 people around him fell off of the map in suicides, but he wasn't credited for any of them. It wasn't even a failed High Noon, just shoot shoot walk empty POTG.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

maou shoujo posted:

The other day in deathmatch I saw a POTG where a McCree got 0 final blows. :psyduck: 3 people around him fell off of the map in suicides, but he wasn't credited for any of them. It wasn't even a failed High Noon, just shoot shoot walk empty POTG.
I had POTG in deathmatch as Tracer with 5 eliminations and 0 final blows. It was kind of deflating.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When Mei gets PotG in Yeti Hunter it's always screwed up, not even killing blow or anything. I got it once and it was the 30s running around before I killed the Yeti. :iiam:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I got mei potg sniping the yeti like five times and getting the kill

And another time when i hosed down the entrance and the yeti quit game in five secs

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Unrelated to POTGs, but one time I chose "Prefer Mei" and then was selected as the Yeti for 3 consecutive games. :confused:

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Ashcans posted:

When Mei gets PotG in Yeti Hunter it's always screwed up, not even killing blow or anything. I got it once and it was the 30s running around before I killed the Yeti. :iiam:

I got a Mei PotG in Yeti Hunt by doing the vampire hop off a cliff.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sockser posted:

I had one recently on Mercy that was me popping valk, rezzing someone and healing a bit, then getting stuck on the wall for like a solid three or four seconds while trying to fly through the window on lijang to heal someone on the other side

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so this is probably a bit of a broad question to ask, but does this game have any cross appeal to people who used to play tf2? i played the hell out of that game and have been wondering if tf2 with waifus would be a good followup

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

so this is probably a bit of a broad question to ask, but does this game have any cross appeal to people who used to play tf2? i played the hell out of that game and have been wondering if tf2 with waifus would be a good followup

It's very much a TF2 with 2017 design sensibilities.

The gameplay is mostly very similar and all of the TF2 classes have analogues in Overwatch heroes. Overwatch is much faster-paced though - most games are over in 10-15 minutes in quickplay - and if you were mostly into TF2 for a server community you won't find anything like that here. If that's not a concern for you, give Overwatch a try and you'll probably love it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Absolutely. I was hardcore into Team Fortress back in the classic/original Quake days, and Overwatch scratches a similar itch. I think it's half off right now if you want to give it a shot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A number of characters clearly share DNA with the TF2 cast, to varying degrees. The main differences are the breadth of characters and abilities, the verticality and that hitscan weapons are in the minority.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Because of the breadth of abilities (and the fact that you tend to have a movement-affecting ability on most of the characters) you end up having more strict "borders" on a class' ability to counter or take advantage of a gap in the other team e.g. you can't fill a Reaper-shaped hole with, say, Soldier even though they're both offensive heroes.

It hits a very similar tone and unless you have very specific things you love about TF2 (spy for example) they should translate very well.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well, some of the best times i had on TF2 were loving around on a surfing map server blaring terrible music with all chat, but I presume that level of loving around isn't possible in Overwatch.

demoman and scout were probably the "best" characters i played with (had 100s of hours with pyro but pyros always sucked lol) so I guess the equivalent of those would be.....junkrat and tracer?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

well, some of the best times i had on TF2 were loving around on a surfing map server blaring terrible music with all chat, but I presume that level of loving around isn't possible in Overwatch.

demoman and scout were probably the "best" characters i played with (had 100s of hours with pyro but pyros always sucked lol) so I guess the equivalent of those would be.....junkrat and tracer?

Yeah that sounds about right, but tracer is almost all about using mobility to win fights, try Mei as an alternative.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Take all the TF2 classes, split them into 2-3 different characters each then give them some new stuff to compensate for the narrow focus, and you have the majority of the overwatch cast in a nutshell. No, TF2 didn't invent snipers or turret nests, but you can still draw plenty of parallels. Just don't expect it to play exactly the same even if they're both team-based shooters. OW heroes are sturdier than the TF2 mercs and cooldown management is a different world from ammo management.

Genji has Scout's vertical mobility while Tracer has Scout's horizontal mobility. If you want to play Pyro, Mei and Symmetra offer a similar experience. (They're both subpar and people hate them.)

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Demoman never clicked with me in TF2 despite plenty of trying, but Junkrat felt right nearly the first time I played him on beta and now he's my most played character by hundreds of hours.

On the flipside I played nothing but Soldier, but Pharah just doesn't feel anywhere near as satisfying.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I enjoy pharah, but compared to every other fps' rocket users, she's terrible and feels slow af.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Literally every comp game has a slampick Hanzo right now. Is this an "gently caress it, end of season" thing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did my placements last night and I had people leaving/throwing in more than half of the games. idk what's up with end of season games

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's the holidays, so the number of literal children playing is up.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I've generally found that matchmaking gets much harder at the end of the season, especially near a breakpoint to a new tier (granted, I essentially never soloqueue). Everyone has their tryhard pants on to get them purple squares and people are using their smurfs to level up their buddies. Played against a Tracer last night who I am pretty sure was masters to GM level-- routinely would one-clip our Mercy, was consistently punishing positional mistakes, felt like they were everywhere, would use double blinks to bait out flashbangs and scatter arrows. They dropped something like 80% elims in a 2200 SR game.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Woo, 5 winter loot boxes!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah I got a bunch of golds and purples in them, nothing I wanted, but hey free loot boxes. I had them show up before I got the "thanks and happy holidays" message so at first I was like "uhhhh did I just get loot boxes as a gift for playing quick play on Christmas Eve? was it because I was good?"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

yeah I got a bunch of golds and purples in them, nothing I wanted, but hey free loot boxes. I had them show up before I got the "thanks and happy holidays" message so at first I was like "uhhhh did I just get loot boxes as a gift for playing quick play on Christmas Eve? was it because I was good?"

I got Frosted Zarya and a non-event Legendary.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well i suck really bad at this game for obvious reasons. i end up playing mercy a bunch just due to zero healing in the QP hell. Junkrat is fun though its kind of tricky to figure out his arcs. Tracer is completely beyond me and Dva is fun but again i'm not sure how tanky vs attacky i should be.

The feel of the gunplay kind of sucks compared to TF2 to be honest but eh.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got last year Tracer skin which I did wanted to get so I am not going to complain. :unsmith:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I saved up this year, bought a lot of white and blues, and now I only have about 24 more things to get in loot boxes. I might actually get everything!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Blue Caboose posted:

I've generally found that matchmaking gets much harder at the end of the season, especially near a breakpoint to a new tier (granted, I essentially never soloqueue). Everyone has their tryhard pants on to get them purple squares and people are using their smurfs to level up their buddies. Played against a Tracer last night who I am pretty sure was masters to GM level-- routinely would one-clip our Mercy, was consistently punishing positional mistakes, felt like they were everywhere, would use double blinks to bait out flashbangs and scatter arrows. They dropped something like 80% elims in a 2200 SR game.

Yeah, it's pretty horrible right now.

I think next season I'm going to try to focus more on playing tanks rather than supports, to see if that will help me climb out of gold.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Checked my in-game stats for the season and something caught my eye

:drat: How did I do that? I don't even remember. Which means I was probably drunk.

Edit: Shitpants Hanzo in my 5 boxes. Merrrrry Christmas.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A streak like that may or may not be shocking depending on the character. My killstreak records are always with D.Va, since if your team is stomping the enemy she'll chip in on nearly every kill and won't ever die.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
logs in for the first time in a week

opens 5 free boxes, gets Owl Ana

Feels no reason to continue playing because I already have everything i need

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Supercar Gautier posted:

A streak like that may or may not be shocking depending on the character. My killstreak records are always with D.Va, since if your team is stomping the enemy she'll chip in on nearly every kill and won't ever die.

51 is still pretty freaking high. If your team is stomping, you're not gonna make 51 elims in a game, even with D.va.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I got Beachrat and Hack Frost in my free lootboxes, a Christmas miracle! :toot:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

Edit: Shitpants Hanzo in my 5 boxes. Merrrrry Christmas.

I got young Hanzo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
why does literally every match have a hanzo

on both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
fairness doctrine