Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

pretend i posted brazilian_child_sex_assault_bitcoin.txt

I kinda feel like I've read this before but I don't know if I did or even want to remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nerdz posted:

I kinda feel like I've read this before but I don't know if I did or even want to remember

Guy goes to brazil to meet his internet gf, jerks off on her little sister, is stranded in Brazil with no money, but bitcoin lets him return home

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

brazilian_child_sex_assault_bitcoin.txt?

why would you remember something like that

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

exploded mummy posted:

it was a pretty memorable tale

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s (macroexpand-1 ‘brazil.txt)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

it's the most famous bitcoin tale.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

exploded mummy posted:

you'll never forget it once you've read it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/3f1c5e/eli5_braziltxt/

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo, that's the one yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s also almost surely fake because the transportation he uses doesn’t exist

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ah, the Great Brazilian Molestation Fiasco (featuring Bitcoin)

Also Bitcoin back to 15.5k. We are officially in the Bull Trap stage of the bubble!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

probably, but when someone is writing a dear penthouse level story about jerking off on a teenager in the jungle in defense of bitcoin i dont care if its fake or not

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
oh goodie we're back to talking about buttcoin again

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

you'll never forget it once you've read it

I've been reading bitcoin threads for 5 or 6 years so I doubt your assertion

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, not to mention the fact that Brazilians are huge prudes in general as opposed to the image foreigners have about us. there's no way they would be in the nude like that. he gets some small details about Brazil right but I'm pretty sure he fabricated most of the story

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Theranos Secures $100 Million in New Funding from Fortress Capital

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This is privilege. Nowhere to fail but up.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jesus. Christ.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

So this sort of crazy isn't sustainable, right? Why do I get the feeling whenever it does correct itself there'll be a major depression?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The article foes on to say that it's a loan and "According to statements from Theranos, the Fortress loan will be conditional on “achieving certain product and operational milestones.” It’s unclear whether those might include positive outcomes for the multiple investigations and lawsuits still facing the company."

So maybe the story is no funding is going to happen at all? Or it's only going to be like $1 million? Who can say.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

nerdz posted:

yeah, not to mention the fact that Brazilians are huge prudes in general as opposed to the image foreigners have about us. there's no way they would be in the nude like that. he gets some small details about Brazil right but I'm pretty sure he fabricated most of the story

IIRC someone also mentioned that the various towns he names are real but geographically there's just no way in hell he walked or took a one hour car ride to or from any one of them to the other.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

why does the chad have bangin' titties?

Also, is "holding" REALLY the right association you want from your drug-only tulip currency?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

T-man posted:

Also, is "holding" REALLY the right association you want from your drug-only tulip currency?

it is definitely what you want everyone but you to think

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

boner confessor posted:

is there a name for the rule that as the number of libertarians in a community increases, the probability that the discussion will shift towards age of consent tyranny approaches 1?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Generic Monk posted:

is there a name for the rule that as the number of libertarians in a community increases, the probability that the discussion will shift towards age of consent tyranny approaches 1?

I keep getting older, they stay the same odds.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That Theranos money is somewhere between "funding" and "subprime loan with patents as collateral" but, still, guess I was wrong they were going to hit the rocks soon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

T-man posted:

From working out. You should try it this year.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, Theranos apparently still has $200M cash on hand and debt gets treated very favorably in the event of a bankruptcy, so there's not much downside in Fortress making a loan for half of that, especially with lots and lots of strings attached. Willing to bet their worst case scenario is breaking even if it has to be chopped up and sold for parts, maybe even coming out slightly ahead depending on how/how much they hedged with swaps. Fortress isn't stupid, they're just playing by a different set of rules than the rest of us.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baby Babbeh posted:

I mean, Theranos apparently still has $200M cash on hand and debt gets treated very favorably in the event of a bankruptcy, so there's not much downside in Fortress making a loan for half of that, especially with lots and lots of strings attached. Willing to bet their worst case scenario is breaking even if it has to be chopped up and sold for parts, maybe even coming out slightly ahead depending on how/how much they hedged with swaps. Fortress isn't stupid, they're just playing by a different set of rules than the rest of us.

I love how much money the theranos lady made just by wowing investors with her Steve jobs cosplay

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So did nobody who invested in Theranos actually do their due diligence and find out that the science was bullshit? Like that's what surprises me the most about it, aside from the continued support and faith in it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rich people are desperate to find places to put thier money and get a return.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GrandpaPants posted:

So did nobody who invested in Theranos actually do their due diligence and find out that the science was bullshit? Like that's what surprises me the most about it, aside from the continued support and faith in it.
The founder had connections to rich people who helped her make the company look legit and a good investment

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

The founder had connections to rich people who helped her make the company look legit and a good investment

In particular a bunch of DoD people to give an air of "secret military backing" when it was more "old rich dudes with nonscience backgrounds"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Not very many posts this week, Apple must've slowed down the iThread.

Has never seen an exchange's sell page.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

australiar posted:

concept: batcoin

birdcoin

Tried to convince my friend earlier we should train crows to recycle en mass. We can feed them literal peanuts! He says the issue isn't that cans and so on are left everywhere but that there are recyclables in the landfills. And probably we should not train crows to try and get shinies out of the landfills though.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 31, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

birdcoin

Tried to convince my friend earlier we should train crows to recycle en mass. We can feed them literal peanuts! He says the issue isn't that cans and so on are left everywhere but that there are recyclables in the landfills. And probably we should not train crows to try and get shinies out of the landfills though.

Taking good honest work out of the hand of poor homeless people. For shame!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the way it fails helped. It seems like it wasn't a totally nonfunctional device, it really did detect the things it said. Just poorly, and inaccurately, to the point it was medically useless, but not a scam the way some other things are a scam where they just do nothing. Like you really could put blood in it and it'd really tell you what was in it, but with a +/- that was comically high to the point it wasn't useful. Which is the kinda problem that sounds like money and more research could improve, and where probably money and research COULD improve some, but on a lot of tests there was still going to be physical impossibilities in getting it better enough to be medically useful.

(later on it became more of an outright scam with more outright faked results, and fraud about how the tests were done, but the indication is that there was an original real machine that turned on and could detect what it claimed to detect, just not good enough to be used in medicine)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When Theranos used to brag how the Chemical Engineering professor at Stanford said it was impossible to do, and Theranos was going to prove them wrong, that was probably a sign.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

When Theranos used to brag how the Chemical Engineering professor at Stanford said it was impossible to do, and Theranos was going to prove them wrong, that was probably a sign.

Especially since the professor said something like "No this is physically impossible, as the nature of the tests causes destruction of the sample so the volume suggested wouldn't work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Taking good honest work out of the hand of poor homeless people. For shame!

Obviously we use self-constructing "Von Neumann Machines" or VNnies for short that use garbage to make more trash sorting robots. Now with Quantum BitCoin Big-Data Blockchain technology. Investments starting at 30 million. #DisruptHomelessness