Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

BrightWing posted:

In that case, what would be a decent Y's to start on?

I think you and I are in a similar boat, since we both recently finished SC.
I just finished playing Ys Oath, and it was definitely awesome and made me want to dig deeper into that side of Falcom. Give it a go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Unlucky7 posted:

I am under the assumption that the Sky series should be played before the Cold Steel series, is that right? I left off on the beginning of the last chapter on Sky FC (Which I hear is still a good half of the game), but all the talk about Cold Steel is making it tempting.

It's less than half the game, but I would say about half of my favorite moments are in that chapter

Everything with Olivier :allears:

Everything with the Duke :allears:

Everything with the queen :allears: :swoon:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Origin or Oath in Felghana, if you're feeling retro then Ys I&II with all the caveats that come along with playing a game made in the 80s.

Felghana is kind of steep difficulty wise for a first game, it's not unfair at all but it also absolutely does not gently caress around even on Normal

i'd say start with 1 & 2, personally

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished my 7 replay and man everything about 7's endgame is so good

Adol's solution to the lose-lose decision being to fight the decision itself, the ridiculous 7v1 boss fight that turns into a standard ys boss at the end, Tia and Maya's goodbye that still makes me super sad, Raud slowly becoming a good person and being pissed off about it

(spoiler'd since there's newcomers with the sale and all)

7 is a good game

E: now to spin my wheels waiting for the new VIII localization, I haven't actually got around to viii yet and i want my dick jokes to be of the highest quality possible

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 22, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yinlock posted:

Felghana is kind of steep difficulty wise for a first game, it's not unfair at all but it also absolutely does not gently caress around even on Normal

i'd say start with 1 & 2, personally
IMO being a bit ball bustin' is the more authentic Ys experience. Recent Ys games have been coddling players too much.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

IMO being a bit ball bustin' is the more authentic Ys experience. Recent Ys games have been coddling players too much.

tokyo xanadu ex+'s dodge timing has been giving me fits because i'm so used to the ginormous window ys gives you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

1 has that fuckin bat, it doesn't really gently caress around either. felghana goes full-bore right out of the gate though

Erg posted:

tokyo xanadu ex+'s dodge timing has been giving me fits because i'm so used to the ginormous window ys gives you

i'm complete garbage at just guarding/dodging even with giant timing windows so the ys difficulty hasn't changed that much for me in modern games

e: well celceta was notably easier because the bosses are pretty easy anyway in that game, but 7 still kicks my rear end sometimes

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 22, 2017

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Wrong topic. Whoops.

I want Cold Steel 3 real bad though.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Alright, nabbed Origin and Cold Steel on the sale. Might as well, I know Ill get to it, and Im impressed enough with the Sky games to give another Falcom series a shot. Thanks for the tips!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
SC and the 3rd are both incredible Trails games; my favorite depends on the day.

Cold Steel is not as good as Sky plotwise (seriously, you can't beat Estelle as a protagonist), but it's a big improvement mechanically and it's still a Trails series.

I really want to play the Crossbell games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm playing zero in Japanese because finals are over and the office is closed for the holidays until the 2nd so I have a brief respite from the self inflicted pains of my life and it's really good ok bye

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

zero is a very comfy holiday game

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone playing Ys Origins with a controller should remap the magic/skill button immediately. I don't know how I did my first playthrough with default controls since it is almost impossible to charge and auto attack at the same time.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I feel like every falcom action game I play i gotta rebind the controls so they make sense for a human to use. Thankfully every game they put out has beefy remapping options.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I love Ys Seven but its default bindings for Xbox controllers are a god drat disaster.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Does the Third have a new music person? The whole ost so far feels very diffrent (good diffrent mind).

Also there goes my theory, Ries being there at all kinda ruins it. Also I can dig Joshua's new duds, he's come so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think it was all the usual JDK peeps. They're just that good.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
There was a noticeable shift to that kind of music around that time for Falcom but I also like to think of it as a overall tone shift for a different pov character (even if that isn't actually the case)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
3rd has the best music of the sky trilogy

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Dear lord, what's with the quotation mark fetish in Chapter 4 of Tokyo Xanadu? At one point, it's even around a place name that we've visited a bunch of times.

Chapter 4 in general has just been an editing trainwreck, to the point where I feel as though a completely different person from the first three chapters edited it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

BrightWing posted:

Does the Third have a new music person? The whole ost so far feels very diffrent (good diffrent mind).

Also there goes my theory, Ries being there at all kinda ruins it. Also I can dig Joshua's new duds, he's come so far.

It's just the same music buy more sad, because the main character is super depressed, right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cyouni posted:

Dear lord, what's with the quotation mark fetish in Chapter 4 of Tokyo Xanadu? At one point, it's even around a place name that we've visited a bunch of times.

Chapter 4 in general has just been an editing trainwreck, to the point where I feel as though a completely different person from the first three chapters edited it.

seems like they only got around to re-editing (or editing for the first time) the first few chapters, everything after that is the same mess it was on the vita

big fan of them referring to the big evil thing by like 5 different names, some of which don't even mean the same thing

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

lets hang out posted:

seems like they only got around to re-editing (or editing for the first time) the first few chapters, everything after that is the same mess it was on the vita

big fan of them referring to the big evil thing by like 5 different names, some of which don't even mean the same thing

That's disappointing, the chapter 4 side story was decently solid editing-wise, so I was hoping it was an isolated incident.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I keep getting curious about Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII since people seem to be enjoying them a lot, but everything I've seen & heard about their dialogue is off-putting. It's a shame.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Really Pants posted:

I keep getting curious about Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII since people seem to be enjoying them a lot, but everything I've seen & heard about their dialogue is off-putting. It's a shame.

Localization aside, Ys 8 is an incredible game, definitely the best Ys game. Don't let the bad localization put you off from playing it. Tokyo Xanadu is fun too, but not quite as good as Ys.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Really Pants posted:

They’re redoing the translation for Ys 8 because it was such a garbage fire so I’d wait for that to come out

Who knows when it’s actually going to get finished though, i think their initial promise was by the end of November and whoops it’s December now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They said November originally but revised it to early next year fairly quickly because that was obviously impossible.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Billzasilver posted:

It's just the same music buy more sad, because the main character is super depressed, right?

uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGmm9ozTMc

sure.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a recommended level guide for Ys Origin? I feel underleveled after Rado's Annex.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ulio posted:

Is there a recommended level guide for Ys Origin? I feel underleveled after Rado's Annex.
If you're getting hosed up by a boss, level up one or two times. That's it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ulio posted:

Go kill some of the flying dragons and 4-way laser things in Silent Sands until that stops leveling you quick.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ulio posted:

If it's about those special Karons you need to kill to charge up the Evil Ring, those things are always lovely to fight.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I already made it past that era and beat all the red/boosted monsters in that area, even the big red demons.

Really Pants posted:

Go kill some of the flying dragons and 4-way laser things in Silent Sands until that stops leveling you quick.

Ya I think I need to level up vs those because they seem to be the only enemies I can kill reliably. The 4 laser are kinda annoying to deal as Yunica though, it is too much waste of time to grind efficiently.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're really struggling it's entirely possible you've missed a weapon upgrade item or armour somewhere.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Every time something caught my attention for one reason or another, I took a screenshot. Assuming you're willing to take spoilers up to very early chapter 5, here's a quick album, unsorted. Most of it's minor character spoilers that you'd usually figure out anyways, but if you're willing to look, you can make your own decision.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo are those Fie and Crow ride-alongs

now I'm just more conflicted

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 24, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tok Xan is rough in a "we are understaffed/under budget" kinda way and you can still generally make sense of the dialogue and tone. Ys is extremely "we didn't even try" gibberish at some points.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Really Pants posted:

holy poo poo are those Fie and Crow ride-alongs

now I'm just more conflicted

Not pictured: Demon Prince Rean and Magical Girl Alisa ride-alongs.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Well I don't remember Ys 8 regularly mixing up npcs genders sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S